Author Topic: Sushi & Japanese Cooking  (Read 6419 times)

Offline ALittleMore

• Adept
Sushi & Japanese Cooking
« on: August 22, 2006, 04:02:38 PM »
A couple years ago I tried sushi for the first time at a Japanese restaurant my grandmother took me to. It was soooooo yummy, it was a Salmon Sashimi and between that and the fresh ginger I just about hurt myself!

So then I started getting very interested in Japanese cooking. I bought a Japense culinary arts cookbook from the discount shelf in our Walden's, and my mom bought me a book all about sushi she found at a bookstore. Both are very wonderful, colorful books. The thing is, it seems in order to cook authentic, yummy Japanese food, it's going to be rather expensive. (Fish, nori, saki, miso...) And I don't really know how it will even turn out, and if the (very American) people in my family will like them!  :-\  I'm curious as to others' personal experience w/ making sushi (and smoked sushi) and/or Japanese dishes. Have any of you ever made Japanese food, and do you know more American or less expensive ideas and ingredients which I might try? Any ideas/hints/experience would be much appreciated!
« Last Edit: August 23, 2006, 12:32:16 PM by ALittleMore »

Offline ALittleMore

• Adept
Re: Sushi & Japanese Cooking
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2006, 10:44:26 AM »
bump

Offline HOMEFree

• Adept
    • Spark This Marriage - Christian marriage & romance boutique
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2008, 03:36:43 PM »

I recommend you go to a store that carries primarily asian foods. The bigger the store the better.
Often they will have a seafood department to buy fresh!
Sometimes you can get fresh produce there too. Which is really fun and interesting!
There should be a great frozen section to pick up faux crab for making california rolls or similar rolls and tobiko for all kinds of garnishment. Tobiko is almost always sold frozen.
One hint- the less you stir the wasabi the better. Oh, it gets powerful strong the more you mix it!  :'( I made that mistake when I worked at a sushi restaurant doing prep work one day. I was miserable just being near it!

Once you get a bunch of the basics- that don't perish quickly- you are set!
You can make it all the time or whenever. Which is a real treat.

Offline mom24boys

• Adept
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2008, 09:07:57 PM »
To make sushi, you really don't need a lot of equipment.  The only equipment I found indispensable was the little bamboo stick mat used to roll them up.

When I make it I use:

cal-rose rice
rice vinegar
sugar
water

nori (sea weed sheets)
imitation crab
cucumber
green onion
cilantro
avocado
spinach leaves
(most of these veggies are optional - whatever you think would taste good)

pickled ginger
wasabi
soy sauce

I guess these would actually be called California Rolls by purists but it is the most economical way to go.  It is also the best way to start out very "American" tastes so they begin to like the "Asian-ness" of it.  For most people, just getting them past the nori is a big step.

Offline littlemama24

• Master
    • check out this website!
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2008, 02:32:31 PM »
I have a package of organic Japanese buckwheat noodles and need ideas on how to use 'em up.  I saw one recipe on the Healthy eating thread for yakisoba that I could make, but it called for things we don't normally have like rice wine.  Anyone have any other recipes?

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2008, 05:23:26 PM »
I have a package of organic Japanese buckwheat noodles and need ideas on how to use 'em up.  I saw one recipe on the Healthy eating thread for yakisoba that I could make, but it called for things we don't normally have like rice wine.  Anyone have any other recipes?

actually, i maybe should have said this in the recipe but we use rice wine vinegar from walmart.  the key is to get the one that is unflavored with NO corn syrup.  the recipe is awesome!  hope you like it.  pm if you have other questions. 
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2008, 02:56:21 AM »

Ohh!!  My favorite lunch is this:

Boil a handful of buckwheat noodles.  While that is boiling, chop up some lettuce, cucumbers, radishes, carrots(or preferred veggies of choice) and place in bowls.  Add hot noodles over each bowl and drizzle with this dressing:
Ginger Sesame Dressing

3 TBSP soy sauce
3 TBSP rice vinegar
1 TBSP sugar or honey
2 TBSP sesame oil
1/4 tsp freshly grated ginger

Whisk and enjoy!  This makes enough for about 2-3 side salads.  You can easily double or triple for more servings.

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2008, 02:57:07 AM »
Oh, also, soba noodles are great in miso soup.  You can probably find a recipe on allrecipes.com

Offline littlemama24

• Master
    • check out this website!
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2008, 03:05:39 AM »
thanks!

Offline blessedmama

• Adept
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2008, 05:09:20 AM »
[quote author=mom24boys link=topic=2003.msg143025#msg143025 date=1200985677]

When I make it I use:

cal-rose rice
rice vinegar
sugar
water

nori (sea weed sheets)
cucumber
green onion
avocado

pickled ginger
wasabi
soy sauce
[/quote]

I do my sushi the same way but when your ready for some big girl sushi, I mean I like california rolls if I'm in a pinch BUT when I make my sushi at home I use raw yellow fin tuna and I also make a roll with smoked salmon.   With the raw yellow fin I add some cream cheese and avacado, or I chop some yellow fin add some mayo, crushed red peppers and cayenne pepper.  When I make that roll I add green onions and cucumbers very thinnly sliced.  The smoked salmon roll I will or will not use the cream cheese, green onion, sometimes avacado and thinnly sliced cucumber.  You can also get a small tub of miso it is a thick paste I bought mine thru our local food co-op and I make my own miso with sea veggies & sea salt etc.  I have been making sushi for years and I always buy my frozen fish from a big grocery store like Safeway out here in the NW.  I won't buy my raw fish from a place like Winco/Waremart.  HTH   ;D
Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says, "Oh no, she's awake."  Above Rubies e-newsletter

www.homesteadblogger.com/prestonacreage

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2009, 08:24:30 AM »
hey all you miso users--does this stuff really expire?  i have a 1/2 used tub from 3 years ago that's been in my basement frig, (time flies  ::) LOL) and it smells like miso, looks fine, but says 10/06 on the bottom.  should i toss it and get new?  thanks! 
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2009, 04:40:26 AM »
hey all you miso users--does this stuff really expire?  i have a 1/2 used tub from 3 years ago that's been in my basement frig, (time flies  ::) LOL) and it smells like miso, looks fine, but says 10/06 on the bottom.  should i toss it and get new?  thanks! 
I don't use plain miso, but I use a hot sauce that is very similar and I've never had any issues with spoilage even at room temp.  It will grow mold if left out the fridge, but we just scrape it off and continue.  The stuff I use does contain hot peppers which may be more of a preservative, but I'm not sure. 
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2009, 06:50:53 PM »
thanks HB, anyone else?   ;D