Author Topic: Dinner [Supper] Menus & Recipes  (Read 127680 times)

Offline natural

• Adept
Dinner [Supper] Menus & Recipes
« on: August 25, 2006, 02:43:06 PM »
I know there are some threads out ther with various recipe ideas, but I thought it would be nice to just have one that I could go to on a daily basis, and would find simple ideas for dinner that would not be too fancy , but practical.

We all find ourselves wondering, "What should I make for supper?" So lets help eachother out.

What would you suggest I do for tomorrow's dinner?

4 yo Maciah: Mamma I am scared the wind is howling.
Me: Go to sleep Jesus will protect you.
4 yo Maciah: (stretching his chin to chest) But, but I can't see Jesus my head can't reach into my heart.

Offline ALittleMore

• Adept
Re: Dinner [Supper] Menus & Recipes
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2006, 02:48:14 PM »
You could make Piratas. (Mexican food!!)

It's so simple: Just get any meat you like (chicken from making broth works well, so does any left over meat like roast or something. You can grill a steak or two, that's the yummiest!!) Cut the meat to bits.

Get a cast iron skillet, set it over med. heat. Put in a few tortillas (2-3) and push them up against the side of the skillet so that it sort of folds in half. Put a few bits of meat and some cheese (the more cheese the yummier ;)) on the side of the tortilla which is on the bottom of the skillet, and fold the top part of the tortilla over, so now you have a half moon shaped tortilla. When the bottom side is golden, flip the piratas. When they're done, stick them on a cookie sheet in the oven on LOOOW heat to keep warm while you make the remaining piratas. Make as many as you want, they last well, and they even make good snacks.

Serve with guac, salsa, onions, tomatoes, peppers, sour cream, whatever you want. They're easy and yummmmmmmmmy!

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2006, 06:42:16 PM »
wow!  a littlemore that sounds yummy!  think i will have to try it.  though my family is thinking i dont' know how to cook, only put things in tortillas.   ::) 
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline CinCapri

• Adept
    • Knights and Maidens Gathering
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2006, 08:32:33 PM »

Get enough chicken breasts to feed your family.
9x11" dish
2-3 T of chicken broth (dry mix) or 2 cans worth
2 zucchinnis
3-4 c of chopped up potatoes
seasoning salt

Throw in dish together, season and cook for 45 minutes at 400*

Yum yum  ;)

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2006, 07:13:30 AM »
Coming up with things to eat for dinner day after day can be stressful.  I know how it feels!  This is a suggestion of what I do.  I make a menu every week.  I start with Thursday and make it until Wednesday.  One side of the paper I write everything we are having each day and the other side are my lists of ingredients that I need to fulfill the week and what stores I buy them at.  Then, when the week is done I slip it into a zip-lock freezer bag and I look thru my bag the next time I write the menu for the week. You would be surprised how quickly I forget what we had for dinner each night the previous week!! It is stored in a drawer in my kitchen so it is easily accessible. I have been doing this for three years and I still have not filled up the bag with  menus, so it lasts a long time.  I had a hard time remembering what my family liked and just ideas in general.  Also, I would forget if I made something just last week.  You could
put a check by the dinner that the family hated and know not to make it again.  My family hated my rice and zuchinni casserole. :-\
I get out all my cookbooks, or internet ideas, and previous weeks menus and do it for about 30 min. once a week.  I also use the weekly store ads to help benefit what would be cheap to make that particular  week. 
This routine may not be any use for you, but it has helped me with my memory problems and un-organized life become manageable, again.  HTH.

Offline mom24boys

• Adept
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2006, 08:28:21 AM »
This is very quick but something different from the ordinary.  It is very hard to mess up and even a very novice cook could manage it.

Glass Noodle Stir Fry

5.29 oz. Saifun (Bean Thread noodles found on Asian isle)
2 T. vegetable oil
1 T. minced garlic
1 pound frozen stir-fry vegetables of choice
1 - 2 cups cooked, diced chicken **
1 cup stock, broth, reconstituted buillion or water
2 T. soy sauce (add more to taste)
toasted sesame oil to taste (if you have it)

**you can use raw chicken if that is all you have, just dice it and stir-fry it at the beginning until done and then add the garlic and continue with the recipe.

1. Place Saifun bean threads in a bowl and cover with warm water.  Let soak just 1-2 minutes and drain(just tip off the water and leave noodles in bowl).  Set aside.

2. In hot wok or large frying pan, saute' garlic in oil (add raw chicken here if you are using) for 1-2 minutes. 

3. Add frozen stir-fry vegies and toss/stir-fry for 1-2 minutes.  Add broth and soy sauce and bring to a boil.

4. Using scissors, cut the noodles a bit (just in half or 4ths) and add to vegie mixture.  Toss/stir-fry with the veggies until most of the liquid is absorbed (less than 5 minutes usually).

5. Serve with extra soy sauce and toasted sesame oil to pass around.  My husband likes to add red pepper flakes.

All this takes just about 15 minutes if you use cooked chicken.  But, it looks like you spent an hour.  Once you make it following these directions, you can change everything around to suit yourself and use what you have on hand.  Different meats, fresh veggies (just adjust cooking times), added seasonings, ginger, 5 spice powder, teriyaki, mushrooms, mung bean sprouts.  The ideas are unlimited.

Offline mom24boys

• Adept
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2006, 08:47:30 AM »
I just thought of another favorite.  This is easiest when you have left overs from a mexican meal (or like me, you usually have some mexican rice and refried beans in the freezer, ready to go).  It does sound like a breakfast but we usually only have it for dinner or a Saturday brunch with company.

Huevos Rancheros (mexican ranch eggs)
serves 4

pan spray
8 corn tortillas
8 eggs
2 cups refried beans
2 cups mexican rice
1 cup grated cheese
1 cup salsa of choice (warmed if you like)

1. Spray both sides of the corn tortillas and heat briefly in hot skillet- you don't want them crispy, just heated well.  Pile on plate and invert bowl over them to keep warm or use a tortilla warmer(I put a dish towel over the bowl to help keep the heat in). Set aside.

2. Heat beans and rice in separate dishes in microwave or favorite method.

3. While they are heating, poach or fry eggs to desired doneness.

4. Plate up your meal- this is important for presentation and tastiness.  Lay 2 tortillas on plate, slightly overlapping to fit.  Place 2 eggs on torlillas, one on each toward the outer edge.  Now, on either side place beans then rice.  Top all with a sprinkle of cheese and a dollap of salsa in the center.  So, clockwise it will look like this: egg, beans, egg, rice with tortillas almost completely covered and a well of sals in the middle and cheese on top.

Note: most recipes call for actually soft-frying the tortillas in 1/2 cup of oil.  Most recipes also insist on salsa poaching the eggs (lightly oil frying pan.  Crack eggs into hot pan.  Spoon salsa around eggs, not coving yolk.  Cover with lid and poach until desired doneness.)  You might or might not want to try these variations.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2006, 02:26:42 PM »
We just had the most scrumptious meal tonight (if I do say so myself  ::)) and I thought I would share the particulars.

I bought 4 Iowa chops (center cut T-bone pork chops) about 1 inch thick and 1 lb each.  Then stuffed them and baked them.  Served them with creamed peas and yum yum yum.  :P

Stuffing:

8 cups seasoned croutons or bread crumbs
4 cups precooked white rice
2-2 1/2 cups of water
1/2 cup butter
4 tsp garlic pepper (or you're own blend)
2 Tbs Italian seasoning

Heat water, butter and seasonings until butter is melted and pour over bread crumbs and rice until well moistened. 

Slice the chops parallel to make a pocket and stuff and cram until they are full (about 5-6 inches tall or until most of the stuffing has been used.  Place in baking pan with stuffed sides facing the center to prevent over browning.  Stuff any remaining stuffing in the spaces between the chops.  Bake uncovered at 350 for about an hour.  Carve and pour creamed peas over the top and dig in.

Creamed peas:

1 can or equivalent peas drained
4 Tbs butter
4 Tbs flour
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp salt
1 cup milk
1 cup water

Cream flour and butter in frying pan to make a nice warm pasty rue.  Add milk and water and mix well pressing down in the pan with a fork to distribute the rue into the liquid.  Continue to heat over medium heat until gravy begins to thicken.  Add peas and continue to heat until gravy consistancy is reached.  Voila - creamed peas.

Enjoy!  We sure did.   ;D

P.S.  I used all of the stuffing and one chop fed all 5 of us.  I put the 2nd one in the fridge for leftovers and I froze the other 2.  It also occurred to me after we ate that I could've used my frozen chicken broth instead of butter.  I forgot I had it, but will definately be trying it next time.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Kati*did

• Master
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2006, 03:00:02 PM »
HealthyInOhio...I loved your idea.  I'm going to start doing that! 

I love cheese enchiladas.  And they're even better the next morning cold!!

I've never measured this recipe out, but here's how it goes:

30 or so corn tortillas

2 1/2 cups (about) of grated cheese (I like a cheddar/mozerella mix)

1 big chopped onion

1 1/2 cups of chile sauce (I make this about 50/50 chile powder to water -- consistency should be not quite as thick as tomato sauce).

Spray a 9X13 in pan with Pam or grease it.  In a frying pan, heat a shallow amount of water until it's simmering turn heat to med. and immerse one corn tortilla.  Leave it in only a few seconds until it's softened (too much and it'll fall apart).  Take it out with tongs and lay it flat.  Put a little cheese (2 Tbs?)  in a line down the center and sprinkle onions on the cheese.  Roll the tortilla up (like a little burrito) and put it in the pan at one edge with the overlapped sides on the bottom of the pan.  Fill up the entire pan.  You can squeeze a lot of these in, which is why I don't know how many it makes.  When the pan is full, spread chile sauce over the enchiladas.  You MUST use a spatula to make sure it gets in between each enchilada including the ones at the side of the pan.  But enchiladas shouldn't be hidden in the sauce.  Sprinkle cheese over the top, cover with foil, and bake at 350 for about 20 min.  Take off the foil and bake for another 5-10 minutes. 

I hope this isn't too "wing-it".
"...plain Kate, and bonny Kate, and sometimes Kate the curst..."

Offline *MommaJo*

• Master
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2006, 05:05:52 PM »
This one may not be the healthiest but it's a yummy Asian side.  (actually we used it as a main dish!)  I'm not sure of the particulars, but I recently made homemade egg rolls that were easier then I thought.

I just fried up a pound of pork sausage (from a boar that I shot!!  That is a whole other story!  We had the best ham dinner from that big guy, though).  You could use another meat if you choose.  I also did shrimp for dh.  Anyway, add a bag of cole slaw mix (you know, finely shredded cabbage & carrots).  When that gets tender, scoop a little into egg roll wrappers (I got mine from the organic section near the produce at WM).  I shallow fried mine instead of deep frying.  I just had an inch or so of oil in a deep cast iron skillet and turned them once. 

We really liked them.  They are fun for children to help with, too.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2007, 04:58:35 PM by mshelson »

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2006, 07:05:15 PM »
I just fried up a pound of pork sausage (from a boar that I shot!!  That is a whole other story!  We has the best ham dinner from that big guy, though).  You could use another meat if you choose.  I also did shrimp for dh.  Anyway, add a bag of cole slaw mix (you know, finely shredded cabbage & carrots).  When that gets tender, scoop a little into egg roll wrappers (I got mine from the organic section near the produce at WM).  I shallow fried mine instead of deep frying.  I just had an inch or so of oil in a deep cast iron skillet and turned them once. 

We really liked them.  They are fun for children to help with, too.

I make mine just like this, except I add fresh garlic and onions and I buy a head of cabbage and chop it because it's waaaaay cheaper than the coleslaw mix.

Then with the left over egg roll wrappers, I put cherry and/or apple filling in them and fry them up too.  If anyone remembers the old pies from McDonalds before they changed the recipe -- these taste very similar - quite delicious.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2006, 09:39:39 AM »
I'm back in the cooking MODE I guess.  Tonight it's fried green tomatoes, leftover pork chop from last night and

Stuffed Peppers

10-12 Anaheim Peppers, halved and cleaned (leave on stems for convenience).
1lb hamburger
1 small zuchinni peeled and diced
1 small onion diced
3-5 cloves diced garlic
1 Tbs Italian Seasoning
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1 box onion ring mix (or favorite batter recipe)

Mix seasonings, veggies and hamburger into a meat loaf.  Stuff the pepper halves with the meat loaf.  Make liquid fry batter out of onion ring mix or favorite recipe.  Coat pepper halves with batter and deep fry in fry daddy or skillet (like fried chicken) until beef is cooked all the way through and coating is crisp.  I mix white vinegar, soy sauce and toasted sesame seeds for dipping. 

Bon Apetit.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline ALittleMore

• Adept
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2006, 04:38:48 AM »

Get enough chicken breasts to feed your family.
9x11" dish
2-3 T of chicken broth (dry mix) or 2 cans worth
2 zucchinnis
3-4 c of chopped up potatoes
seasoning salt

Throw in dish together, season and cook for 45 minutes at 400*

Yum yum  ;)

This sounds a lot like Calavasita (a Mexican dish) only w/o corn.

Calavasita

Pork or chicken to feed your family
2 zucchini, diced
1 can corn
garlic, minced
onion, chopped
tomatoe, chopped
olive oil
salt, pepper, garlic powder
med. to lg. size pot

Sautee meat in bottom of pot in olive oil w/ minced garlic and chopped onion. When meat is cooked through, add zucchini and can of corn. Let simmer til veggies are soft. Add salt, pepper, garlic powder to taste. Yum!!!

Really yummy when served w/ Mexican rice.

Mexican Rice

1 or 2 cups rice (depending on family size)
olive oil
chicken broth
onion, chopped
garlic, minced
sml. can tomato sauce
garlic powder, salt, pepper, cumin
non-stick skillet or med. size pot

Sautee rice in olive oil w/ chopped onion and minced garlic. Sautee until brown. Do not burn.
Add chicken broth until rice is just covered. Add 1/2 of sml. can of tomato sause. Let simmer, covered. Add chicken broth a little at a time as rice dries, until rice is cooked. Once rice is cooked, let simmer uncovered until all the liquid evaporates. Add salt, pepper, garlic powder, cumin to taste.

:)

Offline Clementine

• Adept
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2006, 10:53:10 AM »
Here is one that is a family favorite for us.  It freezes well.  Also, when I make casseroles and things, I try to double what I am fixing and put half in the freezer for a quick meal later.  To freeze a casserole, line the casserole dish with freezer wrap or foil.  Put the casserole in the dish and freeze.  When frozen, just lift out the food and be sure it is wrapped securely.  You can now leave it in your freezer but not have to spare the dish.

Chili Cheese Bake

1 tsp garlic powder (I usually use fresh garlic)
1 4 ounce can of chopped green chilis
2 tsp chlli powder
1 tsp salt
2 cups cooked kidney beans
1 cup chopped onion
2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp oregano
2 cups tomato puree
4 cups shredded cheese
4 cups cooked rice

Just combine everything and place it in a greased casserole pan.  Bake at 325 for 25-30 minutes.  Top with an additional 1/2 cup cheese and return to the oven until melted.  Serves 8.  Serve with tortillas, taco chips, and any condiments you like.  I also sometimes add a little ground beef.

"I waited patiently on the Lord; and he inclined unto me, and heard my cry." Psalm 40:1

YoopreMama

« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2006, 09:08:25 AM »
I just rediscovered a childhood favorite!  Can't pronounce it correctly, let alone spell it,  ;) (It's Finnish and must have a minimum of 9 letters)  ;D, but we'll call it "salmon and potatoes".  ::)

We like it b/c it's a healthier substitute for ham & scalloped potatoes...don't eat much ham b/c of the sodium nitrite...

"Lux Lodah" (phonetically) 

1.  Slice potatoes in a pan (I use my roaster--reds were good last night)
2.  Slice onions on top
3.  Open up a can of Red Sockeye Salmon (pink works OK, but this makes it better), and
     pour undrained over the potatoes and onions.  Stir it up.
4.  Cover most of it w/ milk.
5.  Season w/ S & P
6.  Add a stick of butter on top.

Bake at 350-375 for 45-60 minutes, or until potatoes are done.  Beware, the salmon does contain edible small round bones that crunch easily.  I love the texture, but my DH does not.   ::)

Tonight, I'm trying a new recipe for General Tso's Chicken.   ;D

Offline Carey

• Learning
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2006, 09:15:24 AM »
I just rediscovered a childhood favorite!  Can't pronounce it correctly, let alone spell it,  ;) (It's Finnish and must have a minimum of 9 letters)  ;D, but we'll call it "salmon and potatoes".  ::)

We like it b/c it's a healthier substitute for ham & scalloped potatoes...don't eat much ham b/c of the sodium nitrite...

"Lux Lodah" (phonetically) 

1.  Slice potatoes in a pan (I use my roaster--reds were good last night)
2.  Slice onions on top
3.  Open up a can of Red Sockeye Salmon (pink works OK, but this makes it better), and
     pour undrained over the potatoes and onions.  Stir it up.
4.  Cover most of it w/ milk.
5.  Season w/ S & P
6.  Add a stick of butter on top.

Bake at 350-375 for 45-60 minutes, or until potatoes are done.  Beware, the salmon does contain edible small round bones that crunch easily.  I love the texture, but my DH does not.   ::)

Tonight, I'm trying a new recipe for General Tso's Chicken.   ;D

We like the General Tso's Chicken recipe! It's great to keep the sauce made up in a mason jar in the fridge.

YoopreMama

« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2006, 10:23:30 AM »
We like the General Tso's Chicken recipe! It's great to keep the sauce made up in a mason jar in the fridge.

That's a great idea!  I'll have to see if my recipe is conducive to that.  Would you share yours?   :)

Offline leslieincali

• Adept
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2007, 04:37:42 PM »
Made this tonight and thought I'd share. It is amazingly good for how simple it is.

Spicy Tuna and Pasta
1 lb pasta(I like the tri-color spirals)
1 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
6 to 10 cloves minced garlic
about 1 tsp red pepper flakes(more or less to taste, we did a little more)
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 1/2 cups well drained diced tomatoes(italian is good, I used fresh tonight)
3 cans water packed tuna, well drained(I get trader joe's w/out the msg stuff)
3 T fresh oregano(I used 1 T dry)
juice of 1/2 lg lemon
parmesan cheese
1/4 cup drained capers(do not leave out!!!!!)

In a heatproof bowl combine everyting except pasta, tomatoes, capers and parmesan. Work mixture with a fork until it reaches a paste like consistencey. Once this is done, stir in tomatoes and capers. Set aside for flavors to meld and cook the pasta. A few minutes before pasta is done place tuna sauce in oven to warm. Drain pasta, reserving about 1/2 cup of the liquid. Toss pasta and tuna. Add some of the water to make it moist. (you may not need the water) Taste to see if you need salt(I always do because my tuna is not salted) Serve with a generous dusting of parmesan.(fresh give the best flavor)

Notes
I realize that this has white pasta in it, but it's worth it. We eat pasta about 2x/month and when we do we use white(can't get used to eating hay ;D)

All these ingredients are kind of approximate. It will look oily before you add the pasta. The pasta absorbs it nicely

This recipe feeds my family of six w/out so much as a sniff leftover. You may need to double it. Enjoy!
« Last Edit: January 09, 2007, 06:05:01 PM by leslieincallie »

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2007, 05:46:02 PM »

That's a great idea!  I'll have to see if my recipe is conducive to that.  Would you share yours?   :)

just bumping this up, i would love to try this General Tso's chicken also.   :D 
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

YoopreMama

« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2007, 05:54:53 PM »

just bumping this up, i would love to try this General Tso's chicken also.   :D 

My recipe wasn't truly General's chicken...finding some recipes online, though...was yours cripsy, Carey (right?) ? The sauce wasn't like a glaze...good meal, but not General Tso's chicken.   :(

Tuna pasta looks good!   ;D

Offline cbrownell

• Adept
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2007, 07:26:27 PM »
Here's our easy favorite:

Ckn and Stuffing

Ckn breasts
Chopped veggies
2 cans cream soup
8 oz sr crm
cheddar (shrded)
stuffing 10 oz box?
1 1/2 c ckn broth
1/2 stick butter

Take Ckn breasts (4) or enough leftovers to feed the family
Chopped veggies (carrots and peas or beans)
  put them in a greased 9X13

Cover with 2 cans cream soup(like mush or celery) and 8 oz sour cream mixed together
( I make homemade cream soup for ours)

Sprinkle with cheddar (shredded)
Sprinkle with 10 oz stuffing 
Pour on top: 1 1/2 C chkn boullion and 1/2 stick melted butter (mixed)

Cook at 350  35-45 min

SOOOOOOOOOOOOO  GOOD!!   

Offline mom24boys

• Adept
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2007, 10:15:38 PM »
For the eggrolls mentioned a ways back...
I make these all the time.  For a really good, authentic flavor, add a few tablespoons of HOISIN SAUCE.  It gives it just the right spices and I always get lots of compliments.

Offline *MommaJo*

• Master
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2007, 05:05:53 PM »
I tried something new tonight.
I'm cooking for just myself and my 2 toddlers so I have to prepare very small meals.  I've been wanting to try making meatloaf with potatoes cooked right underneath of the meat.  I tried it tonight and it was wonderful.  A loaf pan would be too much for the 3 of us, even with leftovers.  So I diced up potatoes and put them in muffin tins.  Just about a single layer of potatoes.  Then, I mixed up the beef with and egg and seasonings and packed it on top of the potatoes and baked it.  It was really yummy.  The potatoes were tender and tasted really good since they were cooked under the meat.  Plus, we each had our own individual servings.
I can't wait to try a whole loaf pan of this when dh gets home.  I suppose you could slice the potatoes, too, rather than dice them. 
Let me know if you try this.  I'd like to hear of other variations on this idea.

Offline cbrownell

• Adept
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2007, 05:26:25 PM »
If I think of it early, I like homemade bread (bread machine) and soup.
OUr favorite:

Brocolli and Potato Soup

In saucepan Melt: 2 T butter
                          2 T flour

Add:   2 c milk
         s, p , oregano

Cook and stir till milk gets bubbly, then one more min

Meanwhile prep and heat up   3 C chicken or veggie broth
                                           1 C chopped broc
                                           1 C chopped squared potatoes

Add to creamy mixture and heat through.  Serve.  Yummy!!

You could use any other veggie, like corn or even add clams for a clam chowder. 
It's just a basic cream soup, good on cold nights!

Offline Whiterock

• Jesus Knows Me, This I Love
  • Guru
  • Eph 6:16
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2007, 07:53:46 AM »
A few days ago I had one of those nights where you have to make up a meal from a few random items.  This is what I did and it turned out great.

1. Wash and peel some potatoes. Slice them thick and boil in salted water.

2. Meanwhile take a pound of bulk pork sausage (I used bulk beef sausage that we got from our beef processor) and brown it like ground beef. Add more oil/butter/lard if needed and mix in some flour and let it just start to turn a little brown. Ladle some water from the boiling potatoes into the pan of sausage to make a thin sauce (I sneaked in some kefir and this point). Season with salt and pepper to taste.

3. Add some frozen english peas to the pot of boiling potatoes. When the peas and potatoes are done you layer everything in a baking dish with cheese in between. I started with a layer of the sausage mixture, then mozzarella (it was the only cheese I had), then potatoes, then sausage... etc... and ended with the potatoes.

4. Bake uncovered @ 350º till hot and bubbly.

NOTE: I did not drain the potatoes and peas but just ladled them out because I wanted some of the extra liquid that came with them to insure that every thing would melt together and not get dried out on top. There was a lot of liquid in the dish when it went into the oven but it made a wonderfully moist and saucy casserole when it came out.

My ds who doesn't like melted cheese didn't even notice it had cheese in it because the cheese was the same color as, and thanks to all the liquid, throughly combine with the sauce.

Everybody liked it and it was so easy. I will be making it again.

WR
« Last Edit: January 11, 2007, 07:59:20 AM by Whiterock »
Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!

Offline *MommaJo*

• Master
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2007, 03:53:45 AM »
Ok, I have ground beef thawing in the fridge.  I have several bags of dried beans...kidney, black, navy, great northern, and some lentils (which I've never had before).  I have some potatoes and a few onions.  My seasonings consist of the usual jarred kinds.  I have canned veggies and pastas as well. 
Do you have any ideas for our dinner tonight?  It's just me and the boys.  DH is out of town.  I'm not very experienced with cooking the bagged, dried beans but would like to use them up.  And like I said above, I've never even had lentils before.

So, can you help..........

« Last Edit: February 10, 2007, 05:28:33 AM by mshelson »

Offline littlemama24

• Master
    • check out this website!
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2007, 04:01:39 AM »
IT sounds like you have the fixins for a yummy beef and lentil soup or stew.  Go to www.allrecipes.com and enter lentil soup in the search window and about a million ( ;)) recipes will pop up.  My kids aren't big on dried beans but sometimes I can get them to eat lentils.  Have a good day!

Offline blessedmamadp

• Adept
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2007, 04:38:26 AM »
I've gotten some yummy recipes from welltellme!  Here's one that I fixed last night.  My 5 yo son had three helpings!  I had a craving for it and it was the first time I tried them.

Easy Chicken and Dumplings

-Bake chicken in your oven (I'm planning to use leftovers in the future.  I used 4 chicken leg quarters.)  Save 4 T of the drippings.  Remove meat from bone and cut up pieces.  Should have at least 3 cups of meat.  I had more from what I cooked.
6 cups water
3 T. chicken drippings
1 onion, chopped
2 T. cornstarch
spices  (your choice.  I used salt and pepper only)
biscuit recipe (It recommended buttermilk biscuits, but I used regular ones)
1 T. chicken drippings
parsley

Bring 6 cups water, 3 T. drippings, spices and onion to a boil.  Add chicken.  Dissolve corn starch in little bit of water and add to the mixture.  Let this boil while you prepare the biscuit dough.  When the dough is ready, add 1 T. drippings and parsley.  Drop by tablespoons or smaller into the chicken mixture.  Let boil uncovered for 15 mins.  Just watch for boiling over and turn down if necessary.  Cover and simmer 15 minutes.

The recipe called for adding peas and carrots and celery at the beginning with the onion.  But I've never had Chicken and Dumplings with veggies in it, so I left them out.  Dh didn't want them in either.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2007, 05:53:13 AM »
Last night, I just threw some browned ground beef, some canned beans and some seasonings in a pot with a little water and we called it chili.

I used about 2 lbs grd beef
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
Large can chili beans (you can substitute your beans, but you'll have to cook them first)
2 Tablespoons chili powder (you may want to add more if you're making beans from scratch)
a sprinkle of ground red pepper

Mix and simmer for about 1/2 hour.

For the potatoes, dice, coat in olive oil and season to taste - garlic powder, onion powder, italian seasoning, salt, pepper or whatever (taco and chili seasonings work too), spread on cookie sheet or shallow baking pan and bake at 350-400 for about an hour. 
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline *MommaJo*

• Master
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2007, 09:16:13 AM »
Thanks for all the suggestions.  I went to allrecipes.com and found the recipe below.  It's beef, lentils, & barley.  YUMMO!  I subsituted the veggies I had for the ones it called for.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Beef-Barley-Lentil-Soup/Detail.aspx