Author Topic: Pokeberry [Pokeweed]: Phytolacca Americana  (Read 35944 times)

Offline BJ_BOBBI_JO

• Guru
  • I SEE YOU
    • BJ_BOBBI_JO blog
Re: Pokeberry [Pokeweed]: Phytolacca Americana
« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2009, 09:07:14 AM »
Nope I'm not chewing them cause of the way the seeds are said to not be safe.

I feel I need something strong like poke root berries to help cleanse my entire system actually. I have what docs refer to as metabolic syndrome, or at least that is what the endocrinologist once said. I believe it to be true too since most of my troubles seem to be dealing with the glands (diabetes, pcos, hormone issues, etc) and with series illnesses such as diabetes ones lymphatic system is in bad shape. But it seems not much will help for long because once I do find something that helps my body gets used to it and it no longer helps. Makes me long for the Lord to come fast sometimes.

Offline herb fever

• Learning
« Reply #31 on: October 04, 2009, 09:17:51 AM »
But it seems not much will help for long because once I do find something that helps my body gets used to it and it no longer helps. Makes me long for the Lord to come fast sometimes.

Have you found this to be true with herbs you use or just pharmaceuticals?

I wasn't trying to direct you away from poke necessarily just mention other options. Like you said, it is a plant that demands respect. Sounds like you have researched it well.

Prayers for you!

Offline BJ_BOBBI_JO

• Guru
  • I SEE YOU
    • BJ_BOBBI_JO blog
« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2009, 01:01:14 PM »
It's that way with everything both herbs and medications.

Some poke berry cleanse directions I found said to take more then 1 berry a day. I'm just not to sure about that and trying to be cautious about it and only taking 1 berry a day for 7 days and stopping.

Offline ridgerunner

• Master
« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2009, 11:27:12 AM »
One can do a poke berry cleanse where as they eat 1 poke berry a day for 7 days to cleanse the lymphatic system. It is said to help with arthritis, breast cancer, mastitis, skin cancer, obesity and other things.

I started to do this a few weeks ago, but stopped after the second day.  The poke berries caused me to have really bad gas  :-[ :-X.
"If these walls came tumbling down and fell so hard to make us lose our faith, from what's left you'd figure it out and still make lemonade taste like a sunny day.  Stay American" (DMB)

YoopreMama

« Reply #34 on: October 15, 2009, 01:15:18 PM »
I've been reading in The Wild Flavor how you can eat the young leaves and shoots as "greens" in the spring.  I didn't know that.

Offline BJ_BOBBI_JO

• Guru
  • I SEE YOU
    • BJ_BOBBI_JO blog
« Reply #35 on: October 15, 2009, 02:15:18 PM »
I heard/read ppl down south talk about eating the young poke plant.

I took 1 poke berry a day for 7-8 days. I dont know if it did any good or not.

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
« Reply #36 on: October 15, 2009, 02:22:43 PM »
One of the folk names is 'Polk Salat' (salad)  <cue Lyle Lovett song>
So it does have a history of being edible, but I think you have to be careful about when you harvest, and removing the stems and center stalk of the leaf. 

I've never tried it.
Come see me at www.gwens-nest.com
♥ Check out our family favorite recipes, funny kid stories, natural remedies and other creative and fun stuff.

Offline Whiterock

• Jesus Knows Me, This I Love
  • Guru
  • Eph 6:16
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #37 on: October 15, 2009, 02:32:08 PM »
Using it for greens seems to be a Southern thing. I've never done it, but I've been told you have to boil them in plenty of water and change out the water like three times, to remove the toxin.

WR
Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
« Reply #38 on: October 15, 2009, 04:03:58 PM »
Using it for greens seems to be a Southern thing. I've never done it, but I've been told you have to boil them in plenty of water and change out the water like three times, to remove the toxin.

WR
possible toxic reaction
hassle in the kitchen...
hmmm...now I know why I haven't messed with these. :)

I'll stick to collards in my washing machine, and that still counts as plenty southern.  ;D
Come see me at www.gwens-nest.com
♥ Check out our family favorite recipes, funny kid stories, natural remedies and other creative and fun stuff.

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #39 on: October 15, 2009, 04:14:13 PM »
Even the old timers around here tell me that you should only eat them once a week. In reality they are only eating poke salat 2  or 3x each spring and it's considered a spring tonic as much as a meal.

I've picked poke greens every year for a few and then chicken out on fixing them. What if I made my family sick?  ::) Maybe next spring if I'm neither pregnant or nursing I will try it on myself.

Offline ridgerunner

• Master
« Reply #40 on: October 16, 2009, 03:21:10 AM »
I've eaten poke salat with my Great Grandma every spring since I can remember, and we also used to cut up the stalk and bread it and fry it like okra. 

This is the first time I've ever tried anything medicinal with poke though...
"If these walls came tumbling down and fell so hard to make us lose our faith, from what's left you'd figure it out and still make lemonade taste like a sunny day.  Stay American" (DMB)

Offline floydian

• Master
« Reply #41 on: October 16, 2009, 04:09:54 AM »
Even the old timers around here tell me that you should only eat them once a week. In reality they are only eating poke salat 2  or 3x each spring and it's considered a spring tonic as much as a meal.

I've picked poke greens every year for a few and then chicken out on fixing them. What if I made my family sick?  ::) Maybe next spring if I'm neither pregnant or nursing I will try it on myself.

Remember when I told you that I had elderberries, and you questioned me asking if I were sure I had them.  Well, I was wrong.  I have poke berries all over my yard!  And not only that, but I had my dh transplant the ones out of the front yard to the back yard.  They are doing great, btw!!!   :D ;D :D
And as He stands in victory,
Sin's curse has lost its grip on me;
For I am His and He is mine—
Bought with the precious blood of Christ.

Offline BJ_BOBBI_JO

• Guru
  • I SEE YOU
    • BJ_BOBBI_JO blog
« Reply #42 on: October 16, 2009, 08:30:18 AM »
I have been reading about how the only successful way to tincture and preserve poke root is by doing the alcohol tinctures with it. But it is not recommended since one really has to know what they are doing so that they don't over dose and kill themselves.

But I keep finding where ppl will take a drop of the poke root alcohol tincture to help boost their immunity when they know it will be compromised like at flu time and when traveling.

Offline ~esposita~

• Master
    • Family Fotos
« Reply #43 on: October 17, 2009, 07:26:42 AM »
I use poke tincture to kick a clogged milk duct before it gets infected.  2 DROPS in a little water is all it takes!  Poke root is wonderful for the lymph tissues.  However, I did purchase my tincture (from herblore.com).  It was only $6 or so.  For that price, plus the low dosage it is worth it to me; I wouldn't try and make my own.
My attempt at blogging:  The Carpenter's Wife

Offline 6psnapod

• Learning
« Reply #44 on: October 17, 2009, 10:07:39 PM »
Apparently there is an annual Poke Salad Festival in Blanchard LA. Their site has some interesting poke facts.

Offline Mom2FourBlessings

• Adept
  • East TN mountains are our backyard.
    • Kiser Ridge Farm
« Reply #45 on: January 10, 2010, 10:55:45 AM »
I know I am way late to this discussion, but almost a year without a computer will do that to you..  ::)

Anyway, being born and raised in East Tn, we eat poke sallet every spring, only around here they call it "polk" .. anyway only the young new leaves are used, they are boiled, rinsed, boiled, rinsed and then fried like greens in bacon grease with onion, and eggs scrambled in.  VERY DELICIOUS!!  Part of the old timers spring cleaning, along with other collected "spring greens" for regular salads.  (dandelion, chick weed, plantain, etc...) Anyway, we were warned from a very young age to never eat raw poke, the berries, and especially not the roots.  I know that my grandmother "a cherokee mix" used the berries medicinally, but not sure how, she passed on when I was 3.5y/o and no one remembers how or why she used them, except mainly externally in rubs and poultices. 

There is an annual "Poke Salat Festival" in Gainesboro, TN , in May, (that is just outside of Cookeville) you can try poke fixed numerous ways there and it is a lot of fun. 

Just wanted to share..
Have a Blessed Day
Heather
Daughter of God, helpmeet to Joshua, mommy to four so far.. :)

Offline Beth

• Adept
« Reply #46 on: October 06, 2010, 04:53:57 AM »
I know I am way late to this discussion, but almost a year without a computer will do that to you..  ::)

Anyway, being born and raised in East Tn, we eat poke sallet every spring, only around here they call it "polk" .. anyway only the young new leaves are used, they are boiled, rinsed, boiled, rinsed and then fried like greens in bacon grease with onion, and eggs scrambled in.  VERY DELICIOUS!!  Part of the old timers spring cleaning, along with other collected "spring greens" for regular salads.  (dandelion, chick weed, plantain, etc...) Anyway, we were warned from a very young age to never eat raw poke, the berries, and especially not the roots.  I know that my grandmother "a cherokee mix" used the berries medicinally, but not sure how, she passed on when I was 3.5y/o and no one remembers how or why she used them, except mainly externally in rubs and poultices. 

There is an annual "Poke Salat Festival" in Gainesboro, TN , in May, (that is just outside of Cookeville) you can try poke fixed numerous ways there and it is a lot of fun. 

Just wanted to share..
Have a Blessed Day
Heather

sounds interesting and not too far from where I live....I have a friend who lives up there I'll have to ask him if they still do it.
Here are a couple of links on poke if anyone is interested....http://crabappleherbs.com/blog/category/herbs/pokeweed/
http://herbaled.org/Education/Lectures/lecture_fs.html under the ALTERATIVES, DEPURATIVES, & BLOOD CLEANSERS part two he talks about pokeweed.

I've done the poke berry cleanse this last week. The directions I read were like this. 1st day 1 berry, 2nd day 2 berries, 3rd day 3 and so on until you either get diarrhea or feel nauseous. I didn't get either but only went up to 5 berries as I could feel the slightly narcotic effect on that day. So I went back to 3 and then 2 and that was the 7th day. You stop after 7 days.

I do feel it was effective. I have had a chronic rash that I just could not find out what it was or seem to be able to get rid of. The second day of taking this I begin to see improvement and by the 7th it was really drying up.... So, something was effective. We'll see if it comes back or not.

Somewhere I read that they used to make pokeberry wine to use medicinally. Sips of it....anyone have info on this? 

"discontenment is not a product of circumstances; it is the state of the soul." ~ Debi Pearl ~    ...and be content with such things as ye have Hebrews 13:5

Offline Beth

• Adept
« Reply #47 on: October 06, 2010, 06:33:21 AM »

Just wanted to share..
Have a Blessed Day
Heather

sounds interesting and not too far from where I live....I have a friend who lives up there I'll have to ask him if they still do it.
Here are a couple of links on poke if anyone is interested....http://crabappleherbs.com/blog/category/herbs/pokeweed/
http://herbaled.org/Education/Lectures/lecture_fs.html under the ALTERATIVES, DEPURATIVES, & BLOOD CLEANSERS part two he talks about pokeweed.

I've done the poke berry cleanse this last week. The directions I read were like this. 1st day 1 berry, 2nd day 2 berries, 3rd day 3 and so on until you either get diarrhea or feel nauseous. I didn't get either but only went up to 5 berries as I could feel the slightly narcotic effect on that day. So I went back to 3 and then 2 and that was the 7th day. You stop after 7 days.

I do feel it was effective. I have had a chronic rash that I just could not find out what it was or seem to be able to get rid of. The second day of taking this I begin to see improvement and by the 7th it was really drying up.... So, something was effective. We'll see if it comes back or not.

Somewhere I read that they used to make pokeberry wine to use medicinally. Sips of it....anyone have info on this? 

good link also.... some info in the comments section on tincturing and making medicinal wine.
http://crabappleherbs.com/blog/2007/07/31/pokeweed-an-herb-for-all-things-pokey/
"discontenment is not a product of circumstances; it is the state of the soul." ~ Debi Pearl ~    ...and be content with such things as ye have Hebrews 13:5

Offline bestist

• Learning
« Reply #48 on: October 07, 2010, 04:45:09 PM »
Pokeberry wine is an excellent medicinal wine that also tastes very good and resembles a Port Wine. In fact, it was used to tint those wines at one time. It is perfectly safe to use and is like having a low alcohol tincture. It is great for skin and lymph issues as well as being a powerful anti-viral. I just finished aging a bunch of Elderberry wine and the Poke is next. Flu etc.... doesn't stand a chance with these and some of my other favorite anti-virals such as Sassafras, Heal-All, Boneset and Joe-Pye etc.....

The seeds are only mildly toxic and are strained off in the wine making process. The use of the berries "one on day one" etc..... is also a way of using them for mild arthritic pains. It is easier to simply take about three every other day and you will achieve the same result. The root is the VERY powerful part of the plant and you have to exercise care in using it but I love it. The root is also an essential in the Tommie Bass salve I have made for many years.

Darryl Patton

http://thesouthernherbalist.com
http://www.youtube.com/user/Southernherbalist
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Gadsden-AL/The-Southern-Herbalist/10150148291095473?ref=ts

Offline Beth

• Adept
« Reply #49 on: October 21, 2010, 09:47:36 AM »
Pokeberry wine is an excellent medicinal wine that also tastes very good and resembles a Port Wine. In fact, it was used to tint those wines at one time. It is perfectly safe to use and is like having a low alcohol tincture. It is great for skin and lymph issues as well as being a powerful anti-viral. I just finished aging a bunch of Elderberry wine and the Poke is next. Flu etc.... doesn't stand a chance with these and some of my other favorite anti-virals such as Sassafras, Heal-All, Boneset and Joe-Pye etc.....

The seeds are only mildly toxic and are strained off in the wine making process. The use of the berries "one on day one" etc..... is also a way of using them for mild arthritic pains. It is easier to simply take about three every other day and you will achieve the same result. The root is the VERY powerful part of the plant and you have to exercise care in using it but I love it. The root is also an essential in the Tommie Bass salve I have made for many years.

Darryl Patton

http://thesouthernherbalist.com
http://www.youtube.com/user/Southernherbalist
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Gadsden-AL/The-Southern-Herbalist/10150148291095473?ref=ts

I need to check WTM more often. These are great links, thank you so much. Anyone living in the south (or not) should pay attention to these. Much to learn.

I did start some pokeberry wine. We'll see how it turns out. I'm not doing it very professional. I didn't have an airlock. So I'm using the balloon method. I don't recommend this. In the south we have too many other wild yeasts that want to turn it to vinegar.... at least that has been my experience.

I hadn't thought to use it for the flu. I have something like the flu, (respiratory) I may give poke berry a whirl.

Again good links!