Author Topic: Bed Wetting: Causes & Cures  (Read 100922 times)

Offline Leah IL

• Adept
    • Hillman Acres
Re: Bed Wetting: Causes & Cures
« Reply #90 on: February 19, 2008, 02:28:36 AM »
This might sound strange, but my 4 year old, who wets the bed every night and every naptime, has stayed dry the last 4 times I gave him kombucha to drink in the daytime.  I don't give it to him every day, maybe every other day, because my husband has concerns about the caffeine.  Plus we run out of it in a few days and then have to wait the 2 weeks for it to brew, so I haven't been able to run a proper experiment.  But he seems to be staying dry those nights...can anyone think of a reason why that might be??
Leah
Married to Ken 14 years, mom to Kenny (13), Kyle and Kaitlyn (11), Kevin (5) and Megan and Melissa (1 1/2)

My Intro: http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,1573.msg838.html#msg838

Offline ruhamah

• Adept
« Reply #91 on: February 19, 2008, 02:31:35 AM »
This might sound strange, but my 4 year old, who wets the bed every night and every naptime, has stayed dry the last 4 times I gave him kombucha to drink in the daytime.  I don't give it to him every day, maybe every other day, because my husband has concerns about the caffeine.  Plus we run out of it in a few days and then have to wait the 2 weeks for it to brew, so I haven't been able to run a proper experiment.  But he seems to be staying dry those nights...can anyone think of a reason why that might be??

Candida yeast.

I read that bed wetting was on the list and kombucha helps to fight yeast.

R
Blessed with a great family!
Mom to four and wife to a man I can really look up to! (5'1 vs 6'6).

Offline SC

• Guru
  • Ephesians 5:2
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #92 on: February 19, 2008, 02:53:33 AM »
I have found that we have problems with bed wetting when/if I allow the kids to eat foods served at a restaurant or a large get-together where lots of canned & processed foods are served. It is the body's way of getting rid of the toxins in the foods. Thankfully, their systems are very efficient in dealing with these things. The wet bed is a reminder that we have indulged just a little too much and need to resume our normal habits.

It may not always be yeast, but along a similar vein, these things can be symptoms of food sensitivities. Common culprits are enriched breads, canned items, cured meats (including luncheon meats, smoked meats, canned meats, etc.), sodas, chips, etc. These contain a wide spectrum of things like nitrates, nitrites, coloring agents, molds, etc. which can trigger a food sensitivity and/or a bit of an allergic response that displays itself in changed/altered sleep habits (including bed wetting).
HTH
I'm no doctor . . .             I'm not even a Post hole Digger! ;)
See what works for me at LexingtonSlim.com

Offline GarlicMom

• Adept
« Reply #93 on: March 07, 2008, 05:47:45 PM »
a teaspoon of honey will do it. Give it to him right before bed and no more. The honey absorbes the liquid and keeps it in the body and not on the baby ect.
And be not weary in well doing for in due season ye shall reap if you faint not. Gal.6:9

Offline girly

• Adept
« Reply #94 on: March 09, 2008, 07:18:21 AM »
a teaspoon of honey will do it. Give it to him right before bed and no more. The honey absorbes the liquid and keeps it in the body and not on the baby ect.

My just turned 5 year old is a terrible bed wetter.  He wets the bed 5 nights a week and we've tried so many things to curb this.  Last night we made sure to not have any juices in the evening - we don't do pop or kool-aid drinks at all anyways.  No milk either - just water all evening.  I gave him 1 tsp. of honey and thankfully he woke up dry this morning.  I recognize this could be coincidental but we were all pleased and will try it again tonight.  One question though, why is honey (a sugary substance) okay but nothing else sweet (juices, dessert, etc...).  I just don't understand what the difference is & I'd be interested to know.  Thanks!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #95 on: March 09, 2008, 07:32:31 AM »

My just turned 5 year old is a terrible bed wetter.  He wets the bed 5 nights a week and we've tried so many things to curb this.  Last night we made sure to not have any juices in the evening - we don't do pop or kool-aid drinks at all anyways.  No milk either - just water all evening.  I gave him 1 tsp. of honey and thankfully he woke up dry this morning.  I recognize this could be coincidental but we were all pleased and will try it again tonight.  One question though, why is honey (a sugary substance) okay but nothing else sweet (juices, dessert, etc...).  I just don't understand what the difference is & I'd be interested to know.  Thanks!
I know nothing about sugar but the juices is most likely a problem with acids...this is why milk is also a problem (I think).
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Helpmeetmom

• Adept
    • Avon organics
« Reply #96 on: March 09, 2008, 08:27:28 AM »
Okay I've posted this somewhere before too, but does your son ever come into contact with bleach, or chlorine of any kind?  My son doesn't have any noticeable reaction to bleach, like rash or anything, but for some reason, if he comes in contact with it during the day, he will wet at night.  He had been potty trained for a year, and I sprayed some clorox spray on his bed one day , and he started wetting again.  He also didn't "make it" to the potty, a problem he hadn't had since before he was two.  I don't know how I even made the connection, it had to be the Lord, although it was kind of obvious, it wasn't obvious to me. I also realized that there is chlorine in most disposable dipes too.  Maybe that's why some kids have a tough time with going in the potty.  I think it may have something to do with the nervous system or something.
       Anyway, just something else to consider.  Oh, by the way, I got rid of all chlorine/bleach in the house, and my son hasn't had a problem since.  I don't think he is unique in this way, I wonder if others have had problems like this too, and didn't make the connection as I didn't.  Hope that helps! 
So grateful for all the Lord has done for me and my family.  God is so good!

Offline girly

• Adept
« Reply #97 on: March 09, 2008, 03:39:19 PM »
Wow - that is an interesting connection.  I do bleach his bedding sometimes if white linens are really soaked or yellowed.  Also, his liners (night time potty pants) and underwear get bleached if they are particularly stinky/stained.  I will be sure to quit doing that just in case.  Thanks for sharing that with me :)

Offline MommyGus

• Mymanswoman
  • Adept
  • most of my kids
« Reply #98 on: March 09, 2008, 05:08:38 PM »
We don't use bleach either.  Hydrogen peroxide in the wash heps things get whiter (this info maybe belongs in another thread sorry ;)) if you still need something to get things white w/o bleach.  

We have noticed juice is our main culprit when it comes to bed wetting, particularly citrus.  I never knew that about bleach.  I learn so much here  :)
4yo DD: "Mom can I have a cookie?"
MommyGus: (being silly) "Say 'You are the best mom in the whole world'"
4yo DD: (being very sweet) "I love you Mom...In the best world...I love you"

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #99 on: March 10, 2008, 04:01:21 AM »
I tried this last night and it didn't work.  Is there some time thing?  Repeat doses?  My son doesn't drink juice or milk.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline kamom

• Adept
« Reply #100 on: March 10, 2008, 04:09:12 AM »
  Would feeding them a salty snack at bedtime help?  I know if I eat salty snacks while traveling, I don't have to do to the bathroom as often.....

Offline Helpmeetmom

• Adept
    • Avon organics
« Reply #101 on: March 10, 2008, 06:13:16 AM »
You're welcome, with us the results were immediate after we cut out the bleach.  How is it going with you now?

Wow - that is an interesting connection.  I do bleach his bedding sometimes if white linens are really soaked or yellowed.  Also, his liners (night time potty pants) and underwear get bleached if they are particularly stinky/stained.  I will be sure to quit doing that just in case.  Thanks for sharing that with me :)

So grateful for all the Lord has done for me and my family.  God is so good!

Offline girly

• Adept
« Reply #102 on: March 10, 2008, 08:34:36 AM »
well, we got home late last night after visiting with my mom and we forgot about honey - he wet the bed again  :P  i will remember tonight!!!  i'm trying to cut back on salt but that's an idea too - i'll keep posted with our results. 

Offline Jemima

• Adept
« Reply #103 on: March 17, 2008, 06:23:12 AM »
I don't know if this question should go here, or in the "sleeping through the night" thread, but anyway...

My son (now 1 yr) has been wetting through his diaper (we use disposable Huggies) since about 6 months - the same time I had to stop nursing, and give him goat's milk bottles.  I think there must be some correlation there.  He always drinks a bottle before bed, and still (we're trying to figure out how to drop this one - open to suggestions!) wakes up around 5 am for another one.  He's usually dry then, but when we wakes a couple hours later, is soaked. I used to change him in the middle of the night, but gave it up because I got lazy. 

What could I do to help with this? That before-bed-bottle is part of his bedtime routine that really seems to relax and calm him, so I don't know how we could give that up. I'd love to elminate the early morning bottle, but, even though he's slept till 7 without it, almost always wakes up, crying till he gets it.

Please direct me to a more appropriate thread, if there is one for this question. Thanks!

Offline Kari

• Adept
« Reply #104 on: April 05, 2008, 04:46:02 PM »
I have four kids, girls and boys.  For us bedwetting is guaranteed if they drink milk OR juice  before bed.  They can drink a whole glass of water and not wet their beds.

Also, going to bed too late (I think they are too tired during their sleep to recognize the need to get and go) or even eating a meal too close to their bedtime.

All avoidable conditions.

Hope this helps. Kari
Proverbs 23:26   My son, give me thine heart, and let thine eyes observe my ways.

Offline kcb

• Adept
« Reply #105 on: April 07, 2008, 03:27:00 PM »
My son (now 1 yr) has been wetting through his diaper (we use disposable Huggies) since about 6 months

There are lots of suggestions on this thread for older kids, but since your ds is younger, why not try some better diapers?  I have actually used two diaper layers for overnight.  I recommend his usual diaper, with a "Good Night" over it.  The "Good Nights" are bigger, with more absorption for overnight.

Offline GarlicMom

• Adept
« Reply #106 on: July 08, 2008, 11:14:57 AM »
And be not weary in well doing for in due season ye shall reap if you faint not. Gal.6:9

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #107 on: July 09, 2008, 07:26:10 AM »
This didn't work for my boy.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline mamaoffour

• Adept
« Reply #108 on: July 09, 2008, 08:57:04 AM »
This may be a little off topic, but I thought it was worth mentioning.  My son used to wet the bed alot when he had anything such as milk or bananas.  Of course, he has IgG reactions to tons of foods, so we basically cut those offenders out.  We also used to live in a house that had a mold problem at one time, I also believe this caused issues with bed wetting as well.  I think my son's immune system was overwhelmed with toxins and food allergies, so this was the way his system got the impurities out.  Just my two cents!  Maybe you could look into food allergies??  Since we moved and cut out all the offending foods he stopped bed wetting!!  ;D  Good luck to you.

Misty
"Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it(Prov. 22:6).

Offline 1ofeach

• Adept
« Reply #109 on: July 09, 2008, 09:14:02 AM »
my story

I'd be leary of giving too much magnesium to a child that young and small, but I would (and should) research foods that are rich in magnesium, as well what foods block/absorb magnesium. I'm telling you, it's been months. No wet bed! I give my son a tablet once or twice a week, and we have our lives back. :)

Offline 1ofeach

• Adept
« Reply #110 on: July 09, 2008, 09:35:20 AM »
OK, my ds, age 8, has been dry for over a week. We've tried:

1. limiting fluid intake after a certain time
2. giving a spoonful of honey before bedtime
3. an alarm

All to no avail, and then I read about a gal whose doctor who suggested having the child drink epsom salts dissolved in water. Epsom salts = magnesium sulfate. I had some Solgar calcium/magnesium tablets in my cupboard and tried one pill a day, expecting it to take a few days or weeks. He has been dry since day 1. I'm thinking of eventually going to every other day, or less, but I'm interested in what you all think. My Solgar tablets have 400 mg each of magnesium "as magnesium oxide, magnesium citrate and magnesium gluconate."

If you think this is not safe for my ds, please let me know. I used what I had on hand, it's working and so far I see no other side effects, but always worry about long-term, kwim?

If this would help any other mother who's weary of this struggle, I just had to share.  ;D

Thought I'd post an update. Success! Nothing but dry nights here, and I only have dear son take the magnesium 1-2 times a week. I bet we've gone a week w/o any too. :)

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
« Reply #111 on: October 04, 2008, 06:51:27 AM »
This is a related topic from the Children's vitamin thread...I thought it would be helpful here as well.

Okay, new issue . . .  ::) 

I started my children (4yo DS and 21-1/2mo DD) on the NOW Calcium-Magnesium, and they are doing well with it.  Also, DS is taking NOW's Multi and is also doing well, but I have a few questions...
Since DS has been on both of the supplements he has started being wet (sometimes soaked) whenever he wakes up from any sleep, whether afternoon time or in the morning.  Before I started him on these, he would be dry everyday from his nap, and I would say he would be wet in the morning maybe once or twice a month.  Is there something in either the Cal-Mag or the Multi that would cause him to start doing this?  When I looked up bed-wetting, all my resources said that having these two things in the diet were very important to curtail bedwetting, so this is confusing.   ???  What am I missing?

I found this in the Prescription for Nutritional Healing, James and Phyllis Balch:

"Magnesium:
Warnings ...the presence of flouride, and high amounts of zinc and vitamin D all increase the body's need for magnesium... 
Large amounts of fats, cod liver oil, calcium, vitamin D and protein decrease magnesium absorption.  Foods high in oxolic acid, such as almonds, chard, cocoa, rhubar, spinach, and tea, also inhibit magnesium absorption."

Also, just for reference, here are some natural sources of magnesium:
"...dairy products, fish, meat and seafood.  Other rich food sources include apples, apricots, avacados, bananas, blackstap molasses, brewer's yeast, brown rice, figs, garlic, kelp, lima beans, millet, nuts, peaches, black-eyed peas, salmon, sesame seeds, tofu, tourla, green leafy vegetables, wheat and whole grains."

~Gwen
« Last Edit: October 04, 2008, 02:49:59 PM by hi_itsgwen »
Come see me at www.gwens-nest.com
♥ Check out our family favorite recipes, funny kid stories, natural remedies and other creative and fun stuff.

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
« Reply #112 on: November 11, 2008, 04:07:32 PM »
Update on our Magnesium experiment:
My son showed several signs of magnesium defficiency, including wetting the bed at night, having trouble falling asleep, sleeping very deeply (hence the bed wetting), very accute hearing, and irritable/extra-sensitive.

I started giving him one Magnesium/Zinc/Calcium just before bed with some orange juice.  Acids are supposed to help with absorption.  We continued this for a week, adding in an extra tablet with his morning vitamins as well.  Around a week passed, and we began to see major improvements.  He goes to bed and to sleep much easier, and is way calmer and more in control of his emotions.  And he didn't wet the bed for 2 weeks!!!  YAY! 

He did wet the night before last, and we tracked it down to switching over to a plain magnesium oxide instead of the blend.  We went back to the blend, and he didn't wet.  Tonight, he was in a very extreme mood, and my hubby said "Did he take his vitamins?"  Actually, now that you mention it, they're still sitting there from this morning in his vit. cup.  So, there you go.  Major changes from the Magnesium.

We use the drug store/cheapie blend, and it seems to work just fine for us.  We tried some Natural Calm from my Mom, but it is too pricey and more of a hassle to mix and take twice daily.  We also didn't notice any benefits from the pricier Natural Calm, so we'll stick with the cheapie for now.

My theory on my son's defficiency (at the moment) is that he's always been a big guy and has dramatic growth spurts.  He's in a size 8 in the 1st grade.  So I think his body needs additional mineral support.  Also, he probably has some of the metal poisoning from flouride and vaccinations  :-[, which cause him to need more as well. 
♥ Check out our family favorite recipes, funny kid stories, natural remedies and other creative and fun stuff.

Offline paradisemamma

• Adept
« Reply #113 on: November 11, 2008, 06:35:38 PM »
Update on our Magnesium experiment:
My son showed several signs of magnesium defficiency, including wetting the bed at night, having trouble falling asleep, sleeping very deeply (hence the bed wetting), very accute hearing, and irritable/extra-sensitive.

I started giving him one Magnesium/Zinc/Calcium just before bed with some orange juice.  Acids are supposed to help with absorption.  We continued this for a week, adding in an extra tablet with his morning vitamins as well.  Around a week passed, and we began to see major improvements.  He goes to bed and to sleep much easier, and is way calmer and more in control of his emotions.  And he didn't wet the bed for 2 weeks!!!  YAY! 

He did wet the night before last, and we tracked it down to switching over to a plain magnesium oxide instead of the blend.  We went back to the blend, and he didn't wet.  Tonight, he was in a very extreme mood, and my hubby said "Did he take his vitamins?"  Actually, now that you mention it, they're still sitting there from this morning in his vit. cup.  So, there you go.  Major changes from the Magnesium.

We use the drug store/cheapie blend, and it seems to work just fine for us.  We tried some Natural Calm from my Mom, but it is too pricey and more of a hassle to mix and take twice daily.  We also didn't notice any benefits from the pricier Natural Calm, so we'll stick with the cheapie for now.

My theory on my son's defficiency (at the moment) is that he's always been a big guy and has dramatic growth spurts.  He's in a size 8 in the 1st grade.  So I think his body needs additional mineral support.  Also, he probably has some of the metal poisoning from flouride and vaccinations  :-[, which cause him to need more as well. 
Thanks for sharing the results of the magnesium experiment! ;D
We have three children who wet the bed ages 7 (almost 8yr) , 5, and 4.
They all seem to also have strange digestion issues. No one in our home has ever done  any kind of toxicity cleanse although I am very intersted in trying it out.  I think we'll start with the magnesium like you mentioned first and post later on if it was helpful to any of them.  :-\

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
« Reply #114 on: November 12, 2008, 02:29:47 AM »
Sure :)  I hope it helps. 

My son and daughter both have growing pains in their bones occasionally, which I am thinking the calcium will help with as well.

Gwen

Offline hudymom4

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #115 on: January 16, 2009, 11:52:28 AM »
Thank you so much for sharing.. I would love to hear about your research on bed wetting.  I have had 3 out of 4 bedwetting children.  My oldest quit at 12 he is 16 now. the 2nd still wets occassionally  he is 14.  My daughter wets most every night she is 11.  We have tried lots of remedies nothing has been lasting.  Please keep in touch.

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
« Reply #116 on: January 16, 2009, 05:05:33 PM »
My son's bedwetting has almost disappeared.  He is not always consistent with taking his magnesium before bed.  He takes one Cal/Mag/Zinc with a small glass of OJ.  Early on, if he skipped a dose, he would ALWAYS wet.  Other nights, when he took it, he would not.  I also noticed that as we've gone through a growth spurt, his wetting and his growing pains returned, so we upped his dosage to one in the morning and one at night, and that took care of it.  On days when he has eaten a lot of sugar, he is more prone to wet...sugar leaches magnesium as it digests. 

We had used an eneuresis alarm at the age of 4, with limited results.  He went from going 3 times a night to only once.  For the past month or so, I have maybe washed one load of sheets from wetting.  That is just amazing to me.  He is 6 1/2, and showed no signs of stopping before the magnesium therapy.  It takes a while to saturate and bump the levels.  If I had to do it over again, I might use chloryphyll instead of the cal/mag/zinc.

HTH!

Offline paradisemamma

• Adept
« Reply #117 on: January 16, 2009, 06:00:13 PM »
My son's bedwetting has almost disappeared.  He is not always consistent with taking his magnesium before bed.  He takes one Cal/Mag/Zinc with a small glass of OJ.  Early on, if he skipped a dose, he would ALWAYS wet.  Other nights, when he took it, he would not.  I also noticed that as we've gone through a growth spurt, his wetting and his growing pains returned, so we upped his dosage to one in the morning and one at night, and that took care of it.  On days when he has eaten a lot of sugar, he is more prone to wet...sugar leaches magnesium as it digests. 

We had used an eneuresis alarm at the age of 4, with limited results.  He went from going 3 times a night to only once.  For the past month or so, I have maybe washed one load of sheets from wetting.  That is just amazing to me.  He is 6 1/2, and showed no signs of stopping before the magnesium therapy.  It takes a while to saturate and bump the levels.  If I had to do it over again, I might use chloryphyll instead of the cal/mag/zinc.

HTH!
I ended up giving the Mag/Cal/Zinc to our 5yo DS to help him stop the bedwetting. He still wets around every other night. I am wondering what reasonable time frame would be needed to see any positive results? ??? I am also wondering if the dosage should be increased and if the brand matters ? ??? He is taking Nature's Made Vit D 200 I.U.'s, Calcium 333 mg, and Zinc 5 mg. He takes 1 tab each (most) nights before bed.  (We have 2 other children 4yo and 8yo who wet frequently as well. They however were unable to swallow the Mag. supplement.) Can the tablets be crushed and added to food so it's easier for them to take? ???

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
« Reply #118 on: January 17, 2009, 06:09:50 PM »
I would personally feel comfortable upping the dose to bowel tollerance.  Magnesium is an effective laxative.  Maybe one in the morning and one at night to space the dosage out.  You may be able to find in in the pharmacy section as a liquid called magnesium citrate.  It's sold in glass bottles.  Check the mg per dose to decide initial dosage.  That should work for your non-pill takers. 

You are using the same brand that we do.  I read that magnesium absorbs better with an acidic environment...so before meals works better.  We took ours with Orange Juice...one in the morning and one at night.

On days when they've had a lot of sugar (birthday parties, etc.) I will give him an extra one.  Sugar depletes magnesium stores as well.

Offline havasmama_05

• Adept
« Reply #119 on: January 21, 2009, 08:58:18 AM »
I happened upon this book in the library the other day - The Complete Bedwetting Book. I wouldn't say it's complete, but I did gain some knowledge out of it. He talks about the alarm and even meds (tho, he says, he's not fond of going that route). He also talked about daytime potty habits that effect the nighttime. The things he lists range from constipation to daytime accidents/dribbles, wiggling/dancing/holding instead of going, needing to go immediately, not fully emptying the bladder (making "pit stops") and more. He gives advice to help relieve these problems. He says that helping our children to be a good daytime pottier makes a good nighttime pottier. Anyway, today I'm starting a little regimen. I've been taking my kids (ds 5 & dd 3) potty about an hour or 2 after they go to bed (when we are getting to bed). Now, during the day, I make the kids go potty every 2 hrs and have them stay a few extra moments to make sure everything is out. I talked to ds about it yesterday and dd today. Both are very cooperative. I'm not big on rewarding and the like, but I did print out a calendar page for this month w/ each one's name where, every night that they stay dry, they can put a sticker on the date. Maybe even a sticker for being good daytime pottiers as well, I don't know. Just thought I'd share the info. Hopefully I'll remember to come back and post our (hopefully)success.

PS  Something encouraging on the back of the book - there were quotes from people who have implemented his ideas and one said that they used the alarm with no success, but when they implemented the daytime potty routine, their child became dry at night.
My 4 yods, "Mama, do mommy cows have rutters?"