Author Topic: Bed Wetting: Causes & Cures  (Read 100929 times)

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
Re: Bed Wetting: Causes & Cures
« Reply #120 on: January 21, 2009, 09:18:51 AM »
Regarding the nighttime alarm:
I will share a little more on this, since it did help us somewhat.  We got the alarm when my son was almost 5.  He wet almost nightly, and was embarrassed of wearing the diapers to bed.  I was also very tired of the loads and loads of laundry (he would kick the pads out of the way in his sleep).  He woke up in cold puddles every morning. :(

The first night he wore it, we were shocked to discover that he was actually wetting 3 times.  Once about an hour after going to bed, once around 3 AM and once around 6 AM.  This helped us to figure out when he needed to get up and go.  We had no idea he was wetting 3 times a night!  We let him wear the alarm for about 2 weeks, to let it do it's job.  It's supposed to train their conscious subconscious mind (by the annoying beeping) that there is bladder urgency, eventually training them to wake up on their own when that feeling comes on.  We also began getting him up an hour or so after he went to bed and just before we went to bed and taking him to the bathroom.  This did help him a lot, and he began to get up himself and go on his own. 

So we did have some great benefits from using the alarm, but he was continueing to wet once a night in the wee hours of the morning.  The magnesium has been the key for us. 

I wish I has read the book you mentioned HM_05.  It's interesting that it correlates holding to nightime wetting...that may be an issue, as he is bad about waiting till the last minute to go, and then having to go really bad.  Putting his favorite books in the bathroom has worked well in keeping him on the pot.  It actually works too well sometimes. :)
« Last Edit: January 21, 2009, 07:33:54 PM by hi_itsgwen »
Come see me at www.gwens-nest.com
♥ Check out our family favorite recipes, funny kid stories, natural remedies and other creative and fun stuff.

Offline amandas5boys

• Adept
  • We are in the Lords Army. Yes Sir!
« Reply #121 on: January 21, 2009, 02:36:13 PM »

I read about a gal whose doctor who suggested having the child drink epsom salts dissolved in water. Epsom salts = magnesium sulfate.    ;D
[/quote]

NOt sure if doing all this right as I am new, but I am wandering if I give epsom salts how much to give? Any one know?
Thanks

Offline westernskys

• Adept
    • Stories from the X-Bar Ranch
« Reply #122 on: January 21, 2009, 03:39:11 PM »
Could emotional problems bring on bedwetting?
My son was very easy and quick to toilet train. at 2 years, he was 'trustworthy' in six days. Even before he was day-trained, he was night-dry. That lasted 1 1/2 years, then he started wetting almost nightly.
I finally realized that the beginning of the bedwetting coincided somewhat (someone else pionted out the connection recently, so now I cant remember exactly 'when' it started) with my baby drowning. my bedwetter was the only witness to the drowning - he was 3 1/2 at the time. there was no blame, guilt, etc. not even in our thoughts. we were especially careful to take time to meet the needs of our two kids during that time.  but could that emotional blow be responsible for the wetting? My kids were 5, 3, and 2 and the 2yob drowned. they were close playmates. If so, what have I done wrong, and how can I correct the problem? we are water drinkers, vitamin-takers, pretty healthy food....I dont let him drink during the evening, dont shame him, etc. He IS a VERY sound sleeper...he almost will NOT wake up during the early hours of the night. Any ideas? btw - he is 5 1/2 now.
Home is where your husband is.

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #123 on: January 21, 2009, 07:00:56 PM »
Hi Westernskys,

Emotional issues can certainly cause bedwetting to kick in.  Since your boy is a hard sleeper this might be the time to just use a bedwetting alarm to train his body to get up and go even if he's asleep.  My boy is a HARD sleeper and the alarm taught him to get up within 6 weeks all by himself.  Each week we had one more dry night.  Even now, 2yrs later, he is literally totally asleep when he gets up to go potty in the night.  Sometimes we even find him asleep on the bathroom rug.   ;D  I would caution though to make sure he SITS when he goes at night because if he's asleep you'll have a MESS to clean up in the morning.  With sleep comes ZERO aim!  Since there is the possibility this could be emotional using an alarm to train his brain/body to wake up might be the easiest way to do it. 

But, there is one other thing it could be (although it sounds like the emotionally timing would be right for what you described).  Food allergies will also cause bedwetting so if he's developed any sort of food allergies in the past couple of years that could be it. 

You could explore both of these and see what works. 

patti
For I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I've committed unto him against that day.

Offline havasmama_05

• Adept
« Reply #124 on: April 15, 2009, 05:47:20 AM »
Has anyone had any success w/ Hylands bedwetting tablets?
My 4 yods, "Mama, do mommy cows have rutters?"

Offline beppyjo

• Adept
    • My Blog
« Reply #125 on: April 15, 2009, 07:23:37 AM »
We tried them but I couldn't remember to give them to her as often as directed ( I think it was 4 times a day?) and so we never saw any benefits. I didn't keep it up very long though.

My daughter is 6 and has only been dry consistently for the last 2-3 months. What we ended up doing was a reward chart. If she woke up dry she got to mark it on her chart and when her chart was full she got to spend ~$10 at a local store. I think there were 26 spots to fill in on her chart.

HTH!

Offline amandas5boys

• Adept
« Reply #126 on: May 02, 2009, 12:32:26 AM »
I need some help. My Seven year old is not a normal bed wetter. He has always been dry through the night as soon as he was potty trained, but now he is wetting every night. I can't think of any changes in our lives. No trauma or anything. It has just started about a month ago and he has been wet every night. Anyone with any suggestions?

Also has anyone tried "tinc tracks" herbal minerals? I saw it out of " The ABC Herbal" book. How did they go?

Oh by-the-way my others were all dry right after being potty trained and then at 3 they started wetting. My now 2 yr. old is never dry at night he will wet several times in the night and he is my only that has ever wet at nap but almost every nap he will wake up wet. It sure is costly having to wash all these sheets! I put things under them to catch it but some how they always find a way to get the sheets.

Any help Please.

Offline lovingmomof2

• Adept
« Reply #127 on: May 02, 2009, 02:34:51 AM »
I need some help. My Seven year old is not a normal bed wetter. He has always been dry through the night as soon as he was potty trained, but now he is wetting every night. I can't think of any changes in our lives. No trauma or anything. It has just started about a month ago and he has been wet every night. Anyone with any suggestions?

Also has anyone tried "tinc tracks" herbal minerals? I saw it out of " The ABC Herbal" book. How did they go?

Oh by-the-way my others were all dry right after being potty trained and then at 3 they started wetting. My now 2 yr. old is never dry at night he will wet several times in the night and he is my only that has ever wet at nap but almost every nap he will wake up wet. It sure is costly having to wash all these sheets! I put things under them to catch it but some how they always find a way to get the sheets.

Any help Please.

Have you taken them to a chiropractor?  On several occasions this has happended with one of my younger siblings and every time it was due to needing an adjustment.  From what I can remember is has something to do with a nerve not being able to take the signal that they need to go pee in while they are sleeping.  This worked for the ones that were not normally bed wetters.
Proverbs 31:26
"She openeth her mouth with wisdom; and in her tongue is the law of kindness."

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #128 on: May 02, 2009, 03:13:48 AM »

Any help Please.

Food allergies will cause this.  You might consider having the two children tested.  My guess is you'll find a dairy allergy in there as that seems to cause issues with bedwetting.

patti
For I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I've committed unto him against that day.

Offline amandas5boys

• Adept
« Reply #129 on: May 03, 2009, 03:18:23 PM »
 I am quite scared of chiropractors. I have been told once you start going that is it you have to keep going. Also had a bad experience with one checking allergies and then putting a bottle of water in a tray hooked to a computer down loading what ever the boy need from the computer to the bottle and there you go his med.s. Seems like a lot of hocus pocus to me. ???

That is an interesting point though. How regularly do you have to go back?

Patty,
I have all of the genes for celiac as does at least one of my sons (the only one checked). But both he and I have tested negative for the disease. But haven't done the biopsy yet. My mother, Grandmother and Aunt all have it. Wonder if it could have anything to do with it? We don't really use cow dairy As we have milking goats and we drink their milk.

Still wandering has any one tried the tinc tracks mentioned in ABC Herbel?

Offline maceoghain

• Adept
« Reply #130 on: May 03, 2009, 07:19:08 PM »
Just a quick note on chiropractors...

In my experience, they can be very beneficial if you go to a licensed, reputable Doctor of Chiropractic. (From your description, it sounds like you may indeed have experienced a "quack" rather than a real chiropractor).

As for needing to continue treatment once you start, that really depends on you. If you stay in good physical shape and specifically exercise the muscles surrounding the area that is giving you trouble, then the muscles will hold it in place, limiting the need for further adjustments. However, if you are like me (lazy!  ::)), you may find you need to go more often because your muscles are too weak to keep your spine and joints in proper alignment.

Knowing what a help it has been for me in nerve-related issues, I think it would be worth a shot for the bed-wetting... HTH! kate  :)

P.S. My chiropractor is a graduate of the Palmer College of Chiropractic and he is excellent. No quackery, just a straightforward knowledge of the body and how bones, muscles, joints and nerves work together. Here is a link to the college website where you can find a Palmer-trained doctor in your area: https://www.palmer.edu/forms.aspx?ekfrm=1242

Gee, they should pay me!  ;)
All the way my Savior leads me...

Offline lovingmomof2

• Adept
« Reply #131 on: May 04, 2009, 02:16:37 AM »
All the chiropractor's I have used have graduated from Palmer and they are great.  I did try a chiropractor that hadn't graduated from Palmer and he  was terrible, I actually felt worse after leaving than I did before I went in.  As far as how often to go, we usually go when ever we feel we need it.  I would say on average every other month or so.  If we get sick I will make an appointment.  Having good alignment helps every thing to do what it is supposed to to to get better.  I did find that once I started doing transformetric (I think this is very similar to chicometrics) I didn't need adjustment as often because I had strengthened my back and neck muscles (my weak areas).
Proverbs 31:26
"She openeth her mouth with wisdom; and in her tongue is the law of kindness."

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #132 on: May 04, 2009, 04:56:18 AM »

Patty,
I have all of the genes for celiac as does at least one of my sons (the only one checked). But both he and I have tested negative for the disease. But haven't done the biopsy yet. My mother, Grandmother and Aunt all have it. Wonder if it could have anything to do with it? We don't really use cow dairy As we have milking goats and we drink their milk.

I can only go off of my experience but your DS symptoms are exactly how my son's were with the wetting.  Also, all three of my kids are highly allergic to goats milk so it's completely possible that your son is as well.  We were using goats milk as a substitute for cow because I knew they had a dairy allergy.  Ends up the goats milk didn't help them at all.  If I had that many family members with celiac, I would, without a doubt, go gluten free immediately.  Regardless of what the test said and especially since you haven't had a biopsy yet.  My experience with my DS is once we pulled all his allergens out (and there were A LOT), the bedwetting AND daytime accidents stopped.   He just recently started having daytime accidents again and I KNOW he's getting something he's allergic to but can't figure it out.  Time to test again.  :-\ 

While we use chiropractic and I agree with others about it, on this issue, I think it's food allergies that are causing the issue and you likely won't see that fixed until you find out what he's allergic to and pull it. 

hth

patti

Offline the herbalist

• Learning
« Reply #133 on: November 18, 2009, 10:50:26 AM »
he grinds his teeth at night too.
Did you ever think of parasites. Teeth grinding is a common symptom.

Offline the herbalist

• Learning
« Reply #134 on: November 18, 2009, 11:14:39 AM »
The person who wrote Toilet Training in Less Than a Day  also wrote a book for nighttime training. ( Sorry, don't remember the name of it.)   He used it for teens and adults who were mentally retarded and had much success and tried it on children. 
We tried it for our 6 year old boy, but it didn't work for us.  It did work for a friend of mine with her daughter. 
Check out this link
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Parents-Guide-to-Bedwetting-Control/Nathan-H-Azrin/p/9780671827748
Has anyone else used Nathan Azrin's methods and found them successful?

Offline the herbalist

• Learning
« Reply #135 on: November 18, 2009, 11:23:39 AM »

I also made up the mineral and Licorice glycerites and give them faithfully to our 7 year old every night before bed. We've been doing this for at least a month nightly,  but did it on and off before that. I'm sorry to say, it hasn't been the answer for us, at least not yet.

Try giving the mineral and licorice glycerites in the morning or at least before 3:00 in the afternoon. You don't want to be stimulating the kidneys at nighttime.

Offline the herbalist

• Learning
« Reply #136 on: November 18, 2009, 12:14:26 PM »
Could emotional problems bring on bedwetting?
I finally realized that the beginning of the bedwetting coincided somewhat (someone else pionted out the connection recently, so now I cant remember exactly 'when' it started) with my baby drowning. my bedwetter was the only witness to the drowning - he was 3 1/2 at the time. there was no blame, guilt, etc. not even in our thoughts. we were especially careful to take time to meet the needs of our two kids during that time.  but could that emotional blow be responsible for the wetting? My kids were 5, 3, and 2 and the 2yob drowned. they were close playmates. If so, what have I done wrong, and how can I correct the problem? we are water drinkers, vitamin-takers, pretty healthy food....I dont let him drink during the evening, dont shame him, etc. night. Any ideas? btw - he is 5 1/2 now.

I'd be careful of using an alarm to correct a body misfunction caused by emotional trauma. Wouldn't it be better to try and heal this trauma? Exta love and care from Dad and Mom and perhaps a few caring questions that might help him talk about how he feels. How about some massage? Loving touch?

Offline amandas5boys

• Adept
« Reply #137 on: November 18, 2009, 01:02:04 PM »

I also made up the mineral and Licorice glycerites and give them faithfully to our 7 year old every night before bed. We've been doing this for at least a month nightly,  but did it on and off before that. I'm sorry to say, it hasn't been the answer for us, at least not yet.

Try giving the mineral and licorice glycerites in the morning or at least before 3:00 in the afternoon. You don't want to be stimulating the kidneys at nighttime.

I thought that you wouldn't want to give it at night either for the same reasons, but in the "ABC herbal" book He says to give it right before bed.

We have been taking something called vital greens every morning and I have been adding lots of herbs to our cooking. Herbs that are called for in the  herbal tincture and my little ones are staying drier than they were. One that usually wets at nap time is staying dry most nights now. He was wetting several times a night.

I also have started buying pull ups. Something I really didn't want to do. but I think it has helped to take the stress off of them. And in turn they are doing so much better at not wetting. I was afraid to use them as thinking that it would make them be lazy and go on their selves. but it has been the contrary. The one that was wetting even at nap time is getting up through the night to go to the toilet. And he is only three. So I think it is a combination of things??? Who knows! once we think we have it worked out It may not work for someone else.

Offline Helen

• Adept
    • personal blog
« Reply #138 on: January 01, 2010, 07:42:40 PM »
This may not be helpful at all and is a very diffrent slant from the posts before this, but when my four almost 5 year old son just would not stop wetting the bed almost every single night, I finally got out a calender, put a pen to it, and explained to him that if once he goes 30 days without wetting himself we would take him on a special trip to walmart and buy him one thing of WHATEVER he wants! He was thrilled, and we marked the days off one by one, I could not beleive it when about 32 days later he had it... We did what we promised and he has never wet since!!!  ;D that was some money WELL spent!  and now of all things my 19 mo daughter is fully potty trained and dry most nights.. what gives?? is there a diffrence in boys and girls??

Offline mommyjen

• Adept
« Reply #139 on: January 01, 2010, 09:15:10 PM »
This may not be helpful at all and is a very diffrent slant from the posts before this, but when my four almost 5 year old son just would not stop wetting the bed almost every single night, I finally got out a calender, put a pen to it, and explained to him that if once he goes 30 days without wetting himself we would take him on a special trip to walmart and buy him one thing of WHATEVER he wants! He was thrilled, and we marked the days off one by one, I could not beleive it when about 32 days later he had it... We did what we promised and he has never wet since!!!  ;D that was some money WELL spent!  and now of all things my 19 mo daughter is fully potty trained and dry most nights.. what gives?? is there a diffrence in boys and girls??

I'm so gonna try this with my 5yo! The cost of nighttime diapers could pay for the toy in the first month.  ;D
Billy's wife and mom to John, Charles, Gilbert, and Lewis.

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #140 on: January 02, 2010, 06:04:59 AM »
This may not be helpful at all and is a very diffrent slant from the posts before this, but when my four almost 5 year old son just would not stop wetting the bed almost every single night, I finally got out a calender, put a pen to it, and explained to him that if once he goes 30 days without wetting himself we would take him on a special trip to walmart and buy him one thing of WHATEVER he wants! He was thrilled, and we marked the days off one by one, I could not beleive it when about 32 days later he had it... We did what we promised and he has never wet since!!!  ;D that was some money WELL spent!  and now of all things my 19 mo daughter is fully potty trained and dry most nights.. what gives?? is there a diffrence in boys and girls??

I'm so gonna try this with my 5yo! The cost of nighttime diapers could pay for the toy in the first month.  ;D

MJ, if you've got food allergies they could very well be keeping your 5 yr old from night time training.  Our DS is so allergic to dairy that it makes him incontinent.  But when we were potty training and nighttime training his allergy wasn't as bad as it was when he was 7 so he would once in awhile stay dry because he hadn't had as much dairy that day while we thought he had just worked "harder" at it.  Be cautious with this one since you have an obvious dairy allergy, he likely does to.  Remember, allergies run downhill and get worse with each generation (when they haven't been dealt with).  Try pulling dairy from him for 30-60 days and see if he doesn't train after that.  Does he have daytime accidents?  Dribbles?  Full out wet pants during the day?  If he does at this age, it's likely the dairy, in your case, causing the wetting issue. 

patti

Offline kittyninja

• KITTYNINJA
  • Master
    • blogger
« Reply #141 on: January 02, 2010, 04:48:53 PM »
Without reading this all the way through I just wanted to pipe in. My 7 year old  stopped soaking his bed everynight. I would say almost a year ago. What finally got him to stop? I stopped putting him in pull ups and didn't give him a bottom sheet. He slept on his plastic sheet protecting the mattress. He knew when he peed. It didn't soak into the sheet- it was a puddle. I tried cuttin allergens out. Not letting him drink after a certain time and waking him up in the middle of the night (which isn't fun for either of us...trying to get a 60lb dead asleep kid off the top bunk). Anyways- I just think he got use to peeing in his pullup. A week or so of that and he was having dry nights. It also helped that he was having friends spend the night and or going on camping trips and didn't want to be in a pullup or even wet his bed with them around so he became more aware. Anyways- that's what happened in this house.

Offline biecmom

• Learning
  • "Do the next thing" - Elisabeth Elliot
« Reply #142 on: January 02, 2010, 07:43:33 PM »
Interesting!  We have tried many different things from this thread with no luck. I have a son older than 7 who wets each night.  Thanks for the idea about having him sleep on the plastic cover without sheets. However, I believe I will wait 'til it's warmer (it's 11 degrees outside right now with lots of snow) and although it is warmer in the house, he loves to snuggle down with 2 or 3 blankets on top of him.  No, we don't use pull-ups, unless he is spending the night out with us at a relative's home.  It makes for a lot of laundry, but pull-ups were giving him rashes.  Watch out for that!
"Do the next thing" - Elisabeth Elliot

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #143 on: January 03, 2010, 04:18:09 AM »
Without reading this all the way through I just wanted to pipe in. My 7 year old  stopped soaking his bed everynight. I would say almost a year ago. What finally got him to stop? I stopped putting him in pull ups and didn't give him a bottom sheet. He slept on his plastic sheet protecting the mattress. He knew when he peed. It didn't soak into the sheet- it was a puddle. I tried cuttin allergens out. Not letting him drink after a certain time and waking him up in the middle of the night (which isn't fun for either of us...trying to get a 60lb dead asleep kid off the top bunk). Anyways- I just think he got use to peeing in his pullup. A week or so of that and he was having dry nights. It also helped that he was having friends spend the night and or going on camping trips and didn't want to be in a pullup or even wet his bed with them around so he became more aware. Anyways- that's what happened in this house.

Like this idea.  We put ours in underwear and used a nighttime alarm because he was such a hard sleeper.

Offline hollyolly123

• Adept
« Reply #144 on: January 04, 2010, 02:31:40 PM »
Ultimate Defence from beeyoutiful has nearly cured my four year old's bed wetting.  Now it happens just once every week or two, and we can usually anticipate it because she'll complain her tummy hurts.  Often because I forgot to give it.  They can't swallow pills, so I give it to them in a very small amound of all fruit blueberry jelly from smuckers, just before their afternoon snack.  I put a small spoonful in a bowl and mix one pill into it, and split it between all three kids. 

My five year old is another story.  She still wets almoast every night, unless I get her up around 10 or 10:30 pm.  I try.  We'll try the bone ami (I just got some for me- very cool), then it's the plastic sheet with no sheet over it, and if I can win my dh over VERY UNLIKELY, we might try the "Ill buy you whatever you want at walmart" thing!  I notice when we go somewhere for the night she usually doesn't wet at all- I can't even get her to pee when I wake her up at ten.  This last time it may have been the kombucha she had at our friend's house, we haven't had kombucha at home in ages.

Baby #4 is due in a month and I want dry beds!!  But I priase God that at least one girl is dry now- way less work!

Offline Helen

• Adept
    • personal blog
« Reply #145 on: January 07, 2010, 11:06:51 AM »

You know that reminds me... My sisterinlaw told me her daughter had a new pack of panties, she came to her and told her she does NOT want her new panties to turn grey and yucky and she just basically stopped right then and there!!  way to go!!!

Offline kittyninja

• KITTYNINJA
  • Master
    • blogger
« Reply #146 on: January 07, 2010, 11:53:14 AM »
HAHA isn't it funny? It's like they finally just make up there minds. Now my daughter on the otherhand (5yrs) seems to always leak a little all day long. Not flat out pee just little squirts here and there.

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #147 on: January 07, 2010, 01:23:31 PM »
Now my daughter on the otherhand (5yrs) seems to always leak a little all day long. Not flat out pee just little squirts here and there.

dairy allergy................. ;)

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #148 on: January 07, 2010, 03:55:12 PM »
Now my daughter on the otherhand (5yrs) seems to always leak a little all day long. Not flat out pee just little squirts here and there.

dairy allergy................. ;)

I second this- probably gluten as well. Bet it helps her low blood sugar as well.  ;) ;) 

Offline kittyninja

• KITTYNINJA
  • Master
    • blogger
« Reply #149 on: January 07, 2010, 04:25:30 PM »
HERBALMOM!! I haven't forgotten you honestly. :-*
AND I bet you're right! BOTH OF YOU!