Author Topic: Rabbittobacco [ Rabbit Tobacco ] / Cudweed / Everlasting  (Read 59883 times)

Offline Whiterock

• Jesus Knows Me, This I Love
  • Guru
  • Eph 6:16
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
Re: Rabbittobacco [ Rabbit Tobacco ] / Cudweed / Everlasting
« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2009, 05:47:30 PM »
Gwen, you beat me to it! LOL

I was about to post that it was definitely not Pussytoes [kittens toes]. I looked up all kinds of photos of pussytoes and none of them looked like this plant. But there were a few places that compared pussytoes to this form of Rabbittobacco/cudweed, noting that they were similar but not the same plant.

One of links you posted listed the other names of this plant...

Gnaphalium purpureum (purple everlasting or purple cudweed):

catfoot
chafe weed
everlasting
purple cudweed
rabbit tobacco
spoonleaf purple everlasting

What I've been trying to say (and said in one my earliest posts in this thread) there are a lot of varieties that apparently fall in the category of "rabbittobacco". I'm a bit confused about what the difference is between cudweed and everlasting but I keep seeing different varieties of both, also be referred to as rabbittobacco.

I'm continuing to take pictures of the variety I have in my yard (pretty sure it's purple everlasting/cudweed) as it matures this year. I'll post them when/if I find the USB cord for the camera.

It'd be great to have pictures of other varieties from other WTM'ers.

WR
« Last Edit: May 04, 2009, 05:49:35 PM by Whiterock »
Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!

Offline bestist

• Learning
« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2009, 05:18:15 AM »
The confusion everyone is having is with "common names". Lots of plants have been called "Cudweed" such as Lobelia and Rabbit Tobacco. Lobelia because it actually takes away the craving for nicotine and can be chewed in its place and Rabbit Tobacco because it was available when kids couldn't easily get access to regular Tobacco and needed a smoke or "cud".

As I stated before, true "Rabbit Tobacco" is either Gnaphalium spp. or Pseudognaphlium spp. they are almost indistinguishable and work the same as a smoke or as a medicinal.

The Kitten's Toes (Pussy Toes) is an Antennaria spp. and is a substitute for the regular Rabbit tobacco. It is actually more of a women's medicine.

The photo shown was a plant also known as Kitten's or Pussy Toes. I called it an Antennaria but botanists now place this variety in the Gamochaeta family for some reason. It too, can be used as a poor substitute for Rabbit Tobacco.

The way to tell the "Rabbit Tobaccos" apart is to simply look at them. The one to use grows up to three feet tall although it is usually a bit smaller. It grows in thick patches often on banks and hillsides. The Antennaria spp. has small button like blossoms on the top with tiny filaments coming out of them. The leaves are also very light and a grayish blue in color. The Gamochaeta spp... which is the one shown in the photo, is a darker green and the flowers extend along the upper third (or so) of the stem and not at all like the Antennaria. The initial photos were of Gamochaeta spp.

True Rabbit Tobacco is a wonderful herb for lung congestion and sinus trouble. As a tea, it opens the lungs and acts as an expectorant. Boiled and the steam inhaled, it gives temporary relieve to congested sinuses. In the fall, after the leaves have taken on a silvery sheen to them, the terpene content is at its peak and it becomes an amazing anti-viral.

If someone will tell me how to attach a photo, I'll send in a good close up or two of what the proper Rabbit Tobacco looks like.

Darryl Patton
http://www.thesouthernherbalist.com

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2009, 05:54:01 AM »
Thank you Darryl!

So does Gamochaeta=Gnaphalium  ???
I see that they are using them as synonyms here:
http://www.calflora.org/cgi-bin/species_query.cgi?where-calrecnum=3947
Come see me at www.gwens-nest.com
♥ Check out our family favorite recipes, funny kid stories, natural remedies and other creative and fun stuff.

Offline Whiterock

• Guru
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2009, 07:49:03 AM »
The confusion everyone is having is with "common names". Lots of plants have been called "Cudweed" such as Lobelia and Rabbit Tobacco. Lobelia because it actually takes away the craving for nicotine and can be chewed in its place and Rabbit Tobacco because it was available when kids couldn't easily get access to regular Tobacco and needed a smoke or "cud".

As I stated before, true "Rabbit Tobacco" is either Gnaphalium spp. or Pseudognaphlium spp. they are almost indistinguishable and work the same as a smoke or as a medicinal.

Thanks, that helps.

The Kitten's Toes (Pussy Toes) is an Antennaria spp. and is a substitute for the regular Rabbit tobacco. It is actually more of a women's medicine.

Well, we are a bunch of women here (mostly). LOL! We're usually just trying to find out if there's anything in our area that is ours for the pickin', that we can use to keep our family healthy. =D

The photo shown was a plant also known as Kitten's or Pussy Toes. I called it an Antennaria but botanists now place this variety in the Gamochaeta family for some reason. It too, can be used as a poor substitute for Rabbit Tobacco.

Ok, now you are going to have to specify which photo. The pix I posted of the plant growing in my yard, looks different than Pussy Toes but look *very* much like Purple Cudweed. Though, I did post pix of two different clumps of leaves without a stalk. I thought they are two different varieties of Rabbittobacco before they grew any stalks but I can't find the "other" plant now that it should have a stalk --the "Purple Cudweed" is all I have found. There is a much shorter version of same thing but that may be stunted from growing in an area that gets mowed.

The way to tell the "Rabbit Tobaccos" apart is to simply look at them. The one to use grows up to three feet tall although it is usually a bit smaller. It grows in thick patches often on banks and hillsides.

Thanks! And thanks for the photo you attached!

The Antennaria spp. has small button like blossoms on the top with tiny filaments coming out of them. The leaves are also very light and a grayish blue in color. The Gamochaeta spp... which is the one shown in the photo, is a darker green and the flowers extend along the upper third (or so) of the stem and not at all like the Antennaria. The initial photos were of Gamochaeta spp.

I'm gonna have to figure this out after I understand which photos match the plants you are talking about here (my attention span is a hindrance to multiple choice puzzles --not a wisecrack, simply true... sadly).

True Rabbit Tobacco is a wonderful herb for lung congestion and sinus trouble. As a tea, it opens the lungs and acts as an expectorant. Boiled and the steam inhaled, it gives temporary relieve to congested sinuses. In the fall, after the leaves have taken on a silvery sheen to them, the terpene content is at its peak and it becomes an amazing anti-viral.

Thanks again! This is the kind of info I LOVE to have.... keep teaching us please.

If someone will tell me how to attach a photo, I'll send in a good close up or two of what the proper Rabbit Tobacco looks like.

Darryl Patton

Looks like you figured it out. Welcome to WTM!
WR
Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!

Offline bestist

• Learning
« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2009, 08:32:08 AM »
If I remember correctly, the first photo or two was of the purple cudweed. If you look at it, the flowers encircle the stalk. Kitten's Toes blossoms are at the very end of the stalk and are white with what looks like little pores in them. I'll post a photo or two this evening when I get home which will immediately show you the difference.

BTW - The plants themselves are only one to maybe three inches tall and the true Rabbit Tobacco can be up to about 36 inches tall and it is not even up yet.

Darryl Patton

Offline Whiterock

• Guru
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2009, 10:44:30 AM »
Is purple cudweed, truly cudweed, or everlasting, or what? Is it related to true rabbittobacco? What can we use it for --Well, I guess I could look that one up if you are tired of answering questions. =D

WR
Who Needs God?

Offline bestist

• Learning
« Reply #36 on: May 05, 2009, 11:00:19 AM »
Is purple cudweed, truly cudweed, or everlasting, or what? Is it related to true rabbittobacco? What can we use it for --Well, I guess I could look that one up if you are tired of answering questions. =D

WR

It is a "cudweed" but is a poor substitute for Rabbit Tobacco (The large one) and not the one I would go to first if needing Rabbit Tobacco. It would be better than nothing. It formerly was placed as a gnaphalium but they have more recently changed it to the new family. Stick with the larger Rabbit Tobacco.

Darryl Patton

Offline Whiterock

• Guru
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #37 on: September 25, 2009, 07:01:37 AM »
RABBIT TOBACCO IS *THE* HERB FOR COLDS!!!!!

I have have been sick this week, with nasal congestion, fever, headache, sore throat, and cough. I had been treating it with Cold Care tea, elderberry, and other natural remedies. But last night I got desperate and decided to try Rabbit Tobacco (the large one; Gnaphalium) even though I have never used it before and wasn't sure how helpful it would be.

Thanks to Darryl, telling us when to look for it, I had kept an eye out and when I found some dug up a plant (there were many), so I had some in a pot in the front yard.

I ran out in my jammies and took some of the dried leaves from the bottom of the stalk. I made a cigarette using brown paper, and smoked it, but not inhaling very deeply for fear of triggering a coughing fit. My throat felt SO much better. But even with the smoke hanging around the house, the affects didn't last long enough.

So I gathered more and put it in a pot with water and heated it to the point where wisps of steam were floating up, but the water was not simmering. I left that on the stove for the rest of evening, 'til bed time --even drank some with honey (not bad at all). It helped some.

NOW THIS IS WHERE IT GETS GOOD...

When bedtime came, I got the idea to use the steam humidifier. I took the tea in the pot and added it to the water in the Steam Humidifier. Then I put the wet herb from the pot in the spot where you put the inhalant. Once the steam filled my bedroom, I was cough and congestion free the rest of the night! No stuffiness at all! Thank God for the gift of herbs!

I've kept the steam going all day today and even though I'm not in the same room, I have only a small tickle in my throat, and the occasional cough, but no nasal congestion.

WR
Who Needs God?

Offline herb fever

• Learning
« Reply #38 on: September 25, 2009, 09:21:15 AM »
RABBIT TOBACCO IS *THE* HERB FOR COLDS!!!!!

I have have been sick this week, with nasal congestion, fever, headache, sore throat, and cough. I had been treating it with Cold Care tea, elderberry, and other natural remedies. But last night I got desperate and decided to try Rabbit Tobacco (the large one; Gnaphalium) even though I have never used it before and wasn't sure how helpful it would be.

Thanks to Darryl, telling us when to look for it, I had kept an eye out and when I found some dug up a plant (there were many), so I had some in a pot in the front yard.

I ran out in my jammies and took some of the dried leaves from the bottom of the stalk. I made a cigarette using brown paper, and smoked it, but not inhaling very deeply for fear of triggering a coughing fit. My throat felt SO much better. But even with the smoke hanging around the house, the affects didn't last long enough.

So I gathered more and put it in a pot with water and heated it to the point where wisps of steam were floating up, but the water was not simmering. I left that on the stove for the rest of evening, 'til bed time --even drank some with honey (not bad at all). It helped some.

NOW THIS IS WHERE IT GETS GOOD...

When bedtime came, I got the idea to use the steam humidifier. I took the tea in the pot and added it to the water in the Steam Humidifier. Then I put the wet herb from the pot in the spot where you put the inhalant. Once the steam filled my bedroom, I was cough and congestion free the rest of the night! No stuffiness at all! Thank God for the gift of herbs!

I've kept the steam going all day today and even though I'm not in the same room, I have only a small tickle in my throat, and the occasional cough, but no nasal congestion.

WR

Great feedback! Thank you for sharing your experience. I bolded my favorite part of the post! :)

Offline servantgirl

• Adept
« Reply #39 on: September 25, 2009, 08:28:46 PM »
It sounds like rabbit tobacco is pretty much a southern herb.  :(
Since I'm in the north...
Would any of you that have a large amount growing near you be willing to harvest some for me? I would be willing to pay a little for your trouble, plus shipping costs to me. PM me if you'd be willing.
Thanks!!
 ;D
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.

Offline WellTellMommy

• Adept
  • Ft. Banchee
« Reply #40 on: September 26, 2009, 12:09:52 AM »
ok, so when do you harvest Rabbit Tobacco / Gnaphalium?
DD 5yo---Mom, I think we should take a camera with us when we go to Heaven, it'll be so beautiful up there.

Sherri

Offline Whiterock

• Guru
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #41 on: September 26, 2009, 02:54:19 AM »
Here in GA, they're budding now. Most of the pictures you see are of the flower buds, but when they open they are fuzzy. When the fuzz blows away they look like this: http://www.woodherbs.com/herbs/RabbitTobacco070823.jpg

It's not only a southern weed. Here's distribution map: http://plants.usda.gov/java/profile?symbol=PSOBO&photoID=psobo_002_avp.tif

And I think there is a variety that grows in the Western United States, too.
Who Needs God?

Offline Whiterock

• Guru
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #42 on: September 26, 2009, 03:06:56 AM »
Like Darryl said, you use the leaves after they dry up. They will turn silvery on one side and brown on the other. Then they are ready to pick. Before that they are not as strong.

Here's a photo for one with all the leaves dried: http://cricket.biol.sc.edu/acmoore/herb/GG/Gnaphalium_obtusifolium2.jpg

Mine only has dried leaves around the bottom right now, so I just picked those.

Here's more info and photos:
http://www.florahealth.com/flora/home/Canada/HealthInformation/Encyclopedias/SweetEverlasting.htm
http://www.ncwings.com/flowers/asters-sunflowers/rabbit-tobacco.html
http://www.missouriplants.com/Whitealt/Gnaphalium_obtusifolium_page.html
« Last Edit: September 26, 2009, 03:08:59 AM by Whiterock »
Who Needs God?

Offline beppyjo

• Adept
    • My Blog
« Reply #43 on: October 04, 2009, 05:30:52 PM »
So, does anyone out there know if there is a western variety for sure and, if so, what it is?  I have been following this thread with interest and would LOVE to know if there is any native to the west coast...... or, if I can grow it non-native, where I would get seeds..... TIA!!!!

Offline Whiterock

• Guru
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #44 on: October 04, 2009, 08:07:40 PM »
What state are you in Beppyjo?
Who Needs God?

Offline beppyjo

• Adept
    • My Blog
« Reply #45 on: October 05, 2009, 10:45:41 AM »
What state are you in Beppyjo?

OR...... right on the coast.  I feel like I have seen something similar before but I can't recall when or where  :-[  ::) :-[ 

Offline Whiterock

• Guru
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #46 on: October 05, 2009, 02:12:30 PM »
Ok, there is one that grows there. Gnaphalium californicum is called Callifornia Everlasting, or Ladies Tobacco. It seems to be weaker than Gnaphalium Obtusifolium, but it was used by Native Americans for colds, stomach problems, and externally it was used to bring down swelling.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 03:14:21 PM by Whiterock »
Who Needs God?

Offline beppyjo

• Adept
    • My Blog
« Reply #47 on: October 05, 2009, 02:50:20 PM »
Thanks WR! You are amazing  :)  I will start looking into it and if see there is any growing in my neighborhood!  ;D

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
« Reply #48 on: October 09, 2009, 05:47:58 PM »
I have harvested some of the dry Rabbit Tobacco (gnaphalium) leaves, and now have congestion and a headcold.  I tried making a tea and ***blech***.  It tasted like black walnut hulls smell...sort of good but very bitter.  I didn't sweeten it.  I did notice within the first two sips that my sinuses began to clear, but I don't think I drank enough of it to really make a lasting impact.

Any suggestions on how to administer it so that it is palatable (i.e. doesn't make a pregnant woman gag)?
Could I mix it with something else like peppermint? 
I might try peppermint, yarrow and chammomile (children's composition blend) tonight and see if that's any better.

I'm not miserable enough to attempt to smoke it, and also don't own a pipe or have the slightest clue as to what I'd be doing.  ::)
WR, you need to be a bad influence on me and take me behind the church and show me how to smoke weeds.  haha! ;D
♥ Check out our family favorite recipes, funny kid stories, natural remedies and other creative and fun stuff.

Offline Whiterock

• Guru
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #49 on: October 09, 2009, 06:50:42 PM »
Is there a reason why you didn't sweeten it? Sweet replaces bitter on your tongue, so add honey, Honey! =D  

I drank some with honey and it was pretty good, actually. I didn't boil the herb when making the tea --I only let it simmer for while. Maybe that's why it wasn't so bitter. So you could try adding your favorite tea bag to it and sweeten as usual, before drinking.

I also smoked some (as an ex-smoker, and having seen my mom do it, I knew how). That was the first thing I tried, but I didn't draw it all the way into my lungs, 'cause I was afraid I'd have a coughing fit.  

To smoke it you don't need a pipe, just make a cigarette using unbleached paper. I used part of a brown paper bag that I had softened by rolling it between my hands. Then I put the Rabbit Tobacco in, rolled the cigarette, wet the edge of the paper to make it stick down to the side, and twisted the end I was going to puff on.

You can also inhale the steam or vapor from the tea. Just let it sit on the stovetop with just enough heat under it to cause wisps of steam, but not enough to cause it to bubble. Then you can leave it without worrying too much about the pot boiling dry. And come back to take a whiff as often as you need too. And you could take it off the heat, lean over it, and put a towel over your head and the pot to get the most from the steam. (I'm sure you know what I'm talking about, even if I'm not describing it very well.)

Or you can do what I did, and put a tea of the herb in a vaporizer (heated steam humidifier, not the kind that created a cool mist) with some water and let it run all night in your bedroom, with the door closed.

And finally, you could make a tincture or infusion.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2009, 03:33:34 AM by Whiterock »
Who Needs God?

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
« Reply #50 on: October 10, 2009, 09:04:59 AM »
OK...either this is a really puny cold, or Rabbit Tobacco rocks! 

I made and drank a few sips of bitter, straight RT tea the other night, and just a sip or two did clear my sinuses for a while.  But I couldn't hack the bitterness.

So last night, I did a tea/infusion of equal parts RT, yarrow, peppermint and elderflowers (not chamomile like I'd listed above).  It tasted good, even without sweetner!  I drank about 2 oz. and put the rest in the fridge, because I had errands to run.  My throat and sinuses are SO dry!  I was dying for some water.  :D  This stuff works too good!

So if you are trying it for the first time, just start small...no need to chug a quart of tea. ;)

WR...I noticed on the Southern Herbalist page about Rabbit Tobacco, that his mentor, Tommy Bass instructed him to smoke it so that the smoke went up through his sinuses and out his nostrils.  Doesn't sound pleasant to me, but I'll bet it works great! 
http://www.thesouthernherbalist.com/rabbit.html

Offline Whiterock

• Guru
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #51 on: October 10, 2009, 10:11:02 AM »
The through the nose thing is not unpleasant at all (well if you have never smoked it might be). It's just like exhaling through your nose when you are breathing nothing but air --same thing. What makes first-time smokers choke and cough, is sucking the smoke deep into the lungs. It doesn't really hurt in the throat or nose. When I smoked cigarettes as a teen, I would fill my mouth with smoke and then slightly open my lips, so that the smoke poured out in a steady stream, while inhaling it back in through my nose (called French Inhaling --I have no idea why). It was purely for the visual effect but I wonder if that could be what he was saying, or if he was just exhaling through his nose. Either way, it would probably have the same effect on the sinuses.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2009, 10:19:41 AM by Whiterock »
Who Needs God?

YoopreMama

« Reply #53 on: October 13, 2009, 06:21:34 AM »
For the Northern folk...WR found that my Pearly Everlasting is similar:
http://www.mistymanormercers.com/OzarkHerbal/html/pages/_108.html

Offline Whiterock

• Guru
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #54 on: October 25, 2009, 09:34:32 AM »
Trying to see if I can post my pictures of Rabbit Tobacco from my facebook, without changing my privacy settings.

WHOLE HERB

WR
« Last Edit: October 25, 2009, 05:52:31 PM by Whiterock »
Who Needs God?

Offline Whiterock

• Guru
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #55 on: October 25, 2009, 09:35:23 AM »
I can see it... but can y'all see it?
WR
Who Needs God?

YoopreMama

« Reply #56 on: October 25, 2009, 10:06:47 AM »
YES!

And it sure looks like my Pearly Everlasting.   :D

Offline Whiterock

• Guru
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #57 on: October 25, 2009, 01:55:00 PM »
I'm not sure if it's working just because you are on my friends list or what, but I'll post the rest anyway.

The flowers on this one are open, but you are more likely to find them closed.

A blurry photo of the flowers before they opened. This is the way you are likely to find them. (The blue is from another herb I was harvesting that day.)

I've been told by my family that the leaves should look like this before you harvest the plant. Yes, they look dried while the plant is still in the ground --I didn't harvest then dry this plant.

The flowers will open shortly after you harvest the plant (if not already open), and the seeds are "fluffy" like a dandelion (here some are leaving the flower). So be ready to deal with all those floaty seeds. I put a bag over the flowerheads to catch most of them and keep down the mess.

« Last Edit: October 25, 2009, 06:01:37 PM by Whiterock »
Who Needs God?

YoopreMama

« Reply #58 on: October 25, 2009, 03:51:40 PM »
Um, do friend lists apply here?   ???   :D

VERY nice pix!   8)

Offline Whiterock

• Guru
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #59 on: October 25, 2009, 05:45:24 PM »
Well someone once sent me a link to a photo on facebook and I couldn't see it 'cause of the privacy settings (I wasn't on the friends list) and since the photos in my posts were created by coding the fb link into the post, I didn't know if the same thing would happen. It sounds silly now.

WR
Who Needs God?