Author Topic: Rabbittobacco [ Rabbit Tobacco ] / Cudweed / Everlasting  (Read 54236 times)

Offline Whiterock

• Jesus Knows Me, This I Love
  • Guru
  • Eph 6:16
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
Rabbittobacco [ Rabbit Tobacco ] / Cudweed / Everlasting
« on: August 28, 2008, 09:01:49 AM »
When I was growing up we had a weed growing wild in our area, and in our yard, that my mom called "Rabbit Tobacco". She said you could smoke it and sometimes I would gather some of the dryer leaves from the plant and take it to her. She would save it up and every once in a blue moon she would make a small cigarette with it using a piece of paper from a brown paper bag and smoke it.

Mom was not a smoker but she did enjoy the smell of the rabbit tobacco (I did too), and I think that (and the fact that I had gathered it for her) was the only reason she smoked it. She never talked about it being medicinal so I don't think she did it for health benefits.

But I just started looking into it because I think I may have some growing in my yard.

In the image below, the one labelled A. Sumpnoppa Gnaphalium Uliginosum looks most like what I remember growing up. But the Gnaphalium Uliginosum grows in swampy areas and is smaller than I remember so I'm pretty sure it's not the same.

Here are some photos of the plant growing in my yard here in GA. I'm trying to decide if it is a form of Rabbit Tobacco (it looks very much like the kind in my memory only not quite right, but the fault could be with my memory) and if it it can be used the same as the one from my childhood.

A group of little ones.

A couple bigger ones.

They are joined at the bottom; so this is one plant.

A couple close ups of the buds.

I've found that Rabbit Tobacco has no nicotine and is used to help with asthma and respiratory problems. Most of the references I've read say that the leaves can be chewed, made into a tea, and the flowers can be put into a pillow or sachet, but none say anything about smoking it. But my mom said you smoke it and my dad said that he and his friends used smoke it when they were kids.

And in case y'all were wondering, they both said that it doesn't make you high! LOL!

WR
« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 04:35:39 AM by Whiterock »
Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!

Offline Whiterock

• Guru
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
Re: Rabbittobacco [Rabbit Tobacco] / Cudweed / Everlasting
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2008, 09:03:33 AM »
How do I make the pictures clickable so you can see them enlarged?

WR
Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!

Offline beppyjo

• Adept
    • My Blog
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2008, 09:26:56 AM »
I realize this is not at all helpful to you WR but, according to the wisdom gleaned from our much loved Beatrix Potter books, rabbit tobacco is lavender.  ;D ;)

Offline ~esposita~

• Master
    • Family Fotos
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2008, 09:30:50 AM »
I realize this is not at all helpful to you WR but, according to the wisdom gleaned from our much loved Beatrix Potter books, rabbit tobacco is lavender.  ;D ;)

That is exactly what I was thinking!!!
My attempt at blogging:  The Carpenter's Wife

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Whiterock

• Guru
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2008, 05:56:48 AM »
I updated my OP with better pictures. And unless anyone sees any reason why I shouldn't, I'm going to go ahead and ID this as a form of Rabbittobacco.

Here are links to info and pics of two kinds, both commonly called Rabbittobacco:
Gamochaeta (everlasting)

Gnaphalium (cudweed)

I also found out that this is Rabbittobacco, too. I never would have connected the two, because I've never seen a rosette at the bottom of one of the stalks. But their leaves do have the same matted wool look to them as the leaves on the stalks. Apparently I have both kinds (everlasting and cudweed) growing in my yard. Both are a silvery white on the underside but one has leaves that are greener on top don't look as woolly as the one in the pictures below.

It's the strangest thing to pull apart one of the leaves, because it's like pulling apart a wet cotton ball. The entire inside is made up of densely packed fibers.

WR
« Last Edit: September 16, 2008, 06:17:52 AM by Whiterock »
Who Needs God?

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2008, 08:17:20 AM »
http://2bnthewild.com/plants/H64.htm
if the above link is correct, then I don't think you have the same thing.  check this site for comparison.

http://nearctica.com/flowers/composit/m_zgen/Pobtusi.htm
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Whiterock

• Guru
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2008, 08:56:19 AM »
I think this is a form of Rabbittobacco. There seems to be a few different kinds. Check out the two links I posted in my previous post. Both links take you to pages in a book called "Forest Plants of the Southeast and Their Wildlife Uses" on Google Books.

At the first link is a page with Everlasting at the top middle and it mentions other varieties at the bottom. But if you scroll to the next page you find a picture of a Rabbittobacco that looks a whole lot like what's in my yard, and the rosette looks like the greener ones I was talking about in my last post.

At the second link is a page with Cudweed at the top middle (with more varieties at the bottom) and when you scroll to the next page, there are pictures that look a whole lot like what you posted, but the rosette on that page looks like the one I posted pics of in my last post.

WR
Who Needs God?

Offline lovingmomof2

• Adept
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2009, 06:12:57 AM »
I am trying to figure out what is growing in my yard and if it is useful or not.  I tried to google and yahoo searches, but didn't really come up with much.

These pictures are of the same plant just different angles.  Does anyone know what it might be?
Proverbs 31:26
"She openeth her mouth with wisdom; and in her tongue is the law of kindness."

YoopreMama

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2009, 07:51:11 AM »
Can you take closer pix, esp. of the leaf arrangement?  What section of the US are you in?

Offline lovingmomof2

• Adept
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2009, 09:17:52 AM »
I am in the south.  I will try and get some better pics when the kids are down for their nap.

Offline Gigi

• Master
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2009, 09:21:54 AM »
She's gotta be in the south - haven't you noticed those hideous pin oak leaves all over the ground around her plants???

Maybe some closer pics will help, lovingmom.  I can't quite make out where the plant begins and the grass ends, or whatever.

And if Yooper can't figure it out, than it must be a fuzzy picture, cuz she knows everything. . . .

;D

Offline lovingmomof2

• Adept
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2009, 10:08:51 AM »
Here is a better pic.  It is kind of hard to get one that the grass isn't overlapping.  The leaves are the base of the plant and the tall thing comes up out of the center, has blooms that turn into tiny fuzzies similar to dandelions.

Offline lovingmomof2

• Adept
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2009, 10:09:55 AM »
I tried to get a closer pick of the top of the stock.

Offline lovingmomof2

• Adept
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2009, 10:11:29 AM »
I found this one in a clearer part of the yard.

Offline lovingmomof2

• Adept
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2009, 10:14:26 AM »
I believe this is the same plant, but it just doesn't have the shoot coming out of the middle yet.

Oh, and I agree about the hideous pine straw and oak leaves all over the ground.  When we first moved in we raked over 12 HUGE yard bags full.  I finally gave up on raking when I realized that ever time an ant sneezes a hundred more pine needles fall.   :D :(

YoopreMama

« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2009, 12:59:41 PM »
Thanks for teaching me more about the South!  :D
She's gotta be in the south - haven't you noticed those hideous pin oak leaves all over the ground around her plants???

Maybe some closer pics will help, lovingmom.  I can't quite make out where the plant begins and the grass ends, or whatever.

And if Yooper can't figure it out, than it must be a fuzzy picture, cuz she knows everything. . . .

;D
ROTLF, Gigi!  :-*

MUCH better pix, thanks!  And I don't think I've ever seen this plant.  I can try using Newcomb's tonight w/ it...

Offline Whiterock

• Guru
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2009, 05:00:26 PM »
I recognized this one so I merged the topics. =D

WR
Who Needs God?

YoopreMama

« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2009, 01:44:16 AM »
YAY!!  :-*

Welcome back to the game, WR!   ;D

Offline Whiterock

• Guru
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
Re: Rabbittobacco [ Rabbit Tobacco ] / Cudweed / Everlasting
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2009, 08:52:27 AM »
"Cudweed has many helpful properties for relieving the symptoms of hayfever. It reduces catarrh and has anti inflammatory and astringent properties, both of which help to ease the irritating symptoms.

Cudweed can be prepared as tea and drank daily. It is also a recommended ingredient for a steam inhalation for asthma sufferers."

Who Needs God?

Offline Mrs.Visser

• The Mrs. Visser!!
  • Adept
  • Learn & Live Well!!
    • Growing Up Herbal
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2009, 04:20:55 AM »
I've heard of Lobelia being referred to as Rabbit Tobacco. Are lobelia and cudweed the same thing?

YoopreMama

« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2009, 04:32:17 AM »
I've heard lobelia called Indian tobacco (and pukeweed and vomitwort)  :D
« Last Edit: May 01, 2009, 06:40:06 AM by Yooper »

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2009, 06:15:14 AM »
I've heard it called Indian tobacco (and pukeweed and vomitwort)  :D

Gee, hand me a shovel so I can transplant some right away. YUCK!  :P :D

Offline Whiterock

• Guru
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2009, 06:37:42 AM »
I've heard it called Indian tobacco (and pukeweed and vomitwort)  :D

Gee, hand me a shovel so I can transplant some right away. YUCK!  :P :D

The "it" Yooper was talking about was Lobelia, not Rabbittobacco.
I'm beginning to think that I need to transplant more of the Cudweed/Everlasting/Rabittobaco/what ever it's called (the names all seem to be used almost interchangeably for all the varieties), to a safe place in my yard. I'm coming across interesting stuff on these plants. Apparently, they used to be a highly regarded herbs.

SweetPea's cough is coming back and I'm thinking about making some tea or burning it like incense and seeing if it will help.

WR
Who Needs God?

Offline Whiterock

• Guru
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2009, 03:22:30 PM »
Cud Weed. This is a remedy valued by some physicians in cases of sciatica associated with numbness (alternating with pain) of the parts involved.

````````````

Cudweed
aka: Cotton Weed; Everlasting

Description: 
The common Cudweed riseth up but with one Stalk somtime, and somtimes with two or three, thick set on all sides with small long, and narrow whitish or wooly Leavs from the middle of the Stalk almost up to the top; with every Leaf standeth a smal Flower, of a dun or brownish yellow colour, or not so yellow as others; in which Heads after the Flowers are fallen come smal Seed wrapped up with the down therin and is carried away with the Wind. The Root is small and threddy.

There are other sorts hereof, which are somwhat lesser than the former, not much different, save only that as the Stalk and Leavs are shorter, so the Flowers are paler, and more open.

Place: 
They grow in dry, barren, sandy, and gravelly Grounds, in most places of this Land.

Time: 
They Flower about July, some earlier, some later, and their Seed is ripe in August.

Use: 
The Plants are all stringent, or binding and drying, and therfore profitable for Defluxions of Rhewm from the Head, and to stay Fluxes, of Blood whersoever. The Decoction being made into red Wine and drunk, or the Pouder taken therin; it also helpeth the Bloody Flux, and easeth the torments that come therby, stayeth the immoderate Courses of Women, and is also good for inward or outward Wounds, Hurts, and Bruises, and helpeth Children both of Burstings and the Worms; and the Disease called Tenasmus which is an often provocation to the Stool, and doing nothing, being either drunk or injected: The green Leavs bruised and laid to any green Wound staieth the bleeding, and healeth it up quickly: The Decoction or Juyce therof doth the same, and helpeth all old and filthy Ulcers quickly: The juyce of the Herb taken in Wine and Milk is (as Pliny saith) a Soverign remedy against the Mumps and Quinsie; and further saith, That whosoever shal so take it, shal never be troubled with that Disease again.

````````````

Cudweed, White Balsam, Life Everlasting, Indian Posey...

This plant combines relaxing and stimulating properties with a moderate portion of demulcent quality. In cold preparations, its action is mainly expended upon mucous membranes; and as it soothes and strengthens these tissues, it has been pronounced astringent, though it is faintly tonic and not drying. It has been used in sore-mouth, sub-acute coughs, feebleness of the lungs, leucorrhea, catarrh of the bladder, and the latter stages of dysentery. It is really an excellent article in such cases; and though it is too mild to be of use in degenerate conditions, it is useful for its gentle influence. In warm infusion, it promotes mild diaphoresis, and is a popular remedy in recent colds and light fever; and a strong preparation is said to relieve mumps, quinsy, the tenesmus of dysentery, and excessive menstruation. In some respects it acts on the assimilative organs much as avens root does–toning them and abating a tendency to curdy diarrhea. From being at one time over-rated, it has fallen into undeserved neglect. An ounce may be digested in a pint and a half of water till a pint remains, and two fluid ounces of this used once every two hours or oftener. It is sometimes combined with other agents in pulmonary sirups.

````````````

Cudweed-Old Balsam

A remedy of unquestioned benefit in sciatica, when pain is associated with NUMBNESS of the part affected. Rheumatism and morning diarrhoea. Polyuria.

Face
Intermittent pains of superior maxillary of both sides.

Abdomen
Borborygmus. Colic; pain in various parts of the abdomen. Irritated prostate. First stage of cholera infantum; vomiting and purging.

Female
Weight and fullness in pelvis. DYSMENORRHEA, with scanty and painful menses.

Back
Chronic backache in lumbar region; better resting on back. Lumbago with numbness in lower part of back and weight in pelvis.

Extremities
Cramps in calves of legs and feet when in bed. Rheumatic pain in ankle joints and legs. INTENSE PAIN ALONG THE SCIATIC NERVE; NUMBNESS ALTERNATES WITH PAIN. Frequent pains in calves and feet. Gouty pains in big toes. Better, drawing limbs up, flexing thigh on abdomen. Gouty concretions. (AMMON. BENZ.) Anterior crural neuralgia. (STAPH.) Pain in joints as if they lacked oil. Chronic muscular rheumatism of back and neck.

````````````

There's at least one more I'd like to post, but I can't copy and paste it so I'll need time to type it up.

WR
« Last Edit: May 01, 2009, 03:25:37 PM by Whiterock »
Who Needs God?

Offline bestist

• Learning
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2009, 08:51:00 AM »
What you are looking at in the photos is a type of cudweed known as kitten toes. It is an antennaria not true rabbit tobbaco which is gnaphalium and pseudo-gnaphalium. It has somewhat similar uses but is not exactly the same and is nowhere near as effective for viral infections and sinus trouble.

Darryl Patton
http://www.thesouthernherbalist.com

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2009, 09:05:32 AM »
What you are looking at in the photos is a type of cudweed known as kitten toes. It is an antennaria not true rabbit tobbaco which is gnaphalium and pseudo-gnaphalium. It has somewhat similar uses but is not exactly the same and is nowhere near as effective for viral infections and sinus trouble.

Darryl Patton
http://www.thesouthernherbalist.com

Thanks Darryl,  Which photo is of the kitten toes?  I'd like to positively ID real rabbit tobacco.
Come see me at www.gwens-nest.com
♥ Check out our family favorite recipes, funny kid stories, natural remedies and other creative and fun stuff.

Offline daisey

• Master
  • Be Still my soul, the Lord is on Thy Side
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2009, 12:42:20 PM »
The pictures at the first part of this thread look like what I have always called Lamb's Ear.   Could it be that it is Tabbittobacco and not Lamb's Ear at all?
Be Still my soul, the Lord is on Thy Side

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2009, 04:22:28 PM »
I have grown lambs ear.  It's different than the rabbit tobacco, even though they are both fuzzy.  The lambs ear usually grows with the leaves standing up straighter, and has larger, fuzzier leaves.  Rabbit Tobacco has smaller leaves and grows in separate rosettes. 
♥ Check out our family favorite recipes, funny kid stories, natural remedies and other creative and fun stuff.

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2009, 05:09:11 PM »
OK...I think I've figured this out.  But first: here is a very interesting article on the history of rabbit tobacco. :)

http://www.123helpme.com/preview.asp?id=82897

This is rabbit tobacco (there are many forms of it)  http://www.flickr.com/photos/bluebird218/2856692653/
http://www.vaiden.net/rabbit_tobacco2.jpg
I think it's a lot taller than the little yard plant that we're all finding.  It's called everlasting because it stays upright from the summer all through the winter.
http://www.usi.edu/science/biology/TwinSwamps/Gnaphalium_obtusifolium.htm  The flowers actually open.  I have seen this many times, and now I will know what to call it and how to use it! :)

And I think this is what we're seeing in our yards:
http://www.easttennesseewildflowers.com/gallery/view_photo.php?set_albumName=Spring-Flowers-Roadsides_Pink&id=Cudweed1
It's a relative of rabbit tobacco called Gnaphalium purpureum, or purple everlasting: http://plants.usda.gov/java/profile?symbol=GAPU3
The Houma Indians of Louisiana used it as a cold remedy: http://herb.umd.umich.edu/herb/search.pl?searchstring=Gamochaeta+purpurea

here is a great write up on the traditional uses of both of these herbs:
http://books.google.com/books?id=0JaqB07uTx4C&pg=PA365&lpg=PA365&dq=Gnaphalium+purpureum+remedy&source=bl&ots=YlciWGTwyp&sig=oPV0NgH5mTeODW8QI2eMIPohQzg&hl=en&ei=yar_SfLSAoGSyQXo8_mQCA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=4#PPA365,M1