Author Topic: Aloe Vera for a mosturizer  (Read 7639 times)

Offline Chickory Chick

• Adept
    • My Blog
Aloe Vera for a mosturizer
« on: June 02, 2006, 01:21:12 AM »
Does anyone use Aloe Vera gel (without alchohol) as a mosturizer?  I was reading int "Prescription for Nutritional Healing" how aloe vera can be mosturizing, but never heard of anyone using it as a regular part of their beauty routine! 

Thanks,

Kay
Chickory Chick fka Kayinpa http://kayinpa.blogspot.com/

Offline dara

• Master
Re: Aloe Vera for a mosturizer
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2006, 03:15:20 AM »
I'm going to be experimenting with that this summer- I might mix it with other stuff- I'll let you know if/when I do (I'm experimenting with homemade lotions...)
"Write your hurts in the sand
and grave your blessings in stone."

Offline Laurie

• Learning
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2006, 03:37:27 AM »
Hi Kay~
My teenaged daughter used an aloe gel with neem oil in it after getting a sunburn on her face a month or so ago and liked it so much that she's been continuing to use it.  I don't know what part the neem plays vs. the aloe vera but her skin has never looked better.  It seems to not clog her pores and so she hasn't had any breakouts and her complexion is a lot more even.  She also likes the "lightness" of it. 

We'll be watching to see if it continues to do well for her.  Hope this helps you a bit. 

Laurie

Offline jenny4wen

• Adept
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2006, 07:58:03 AM »
er used an aloe gel with neem oil in it after getting a sunburn on her face a month or so ago and liked it so much that she's been continuing to use it.  I don't know what part the neem plays vs. the aloe vera but her skin has never looked better. 

In my reading about the neem oil, it's very good for your skin!  It has similar healing properties of Tea Tree Oil, but it doesn't dry your skin out, it sooths it!  How did the mix of aloe gel and neem smell?  Did she add lavender oil or anything?
« Last Edit: June 06, 2006, 08:58:50 AM by jenny4wen »
I'm smiling! :D

Offline Laurie

• Learning
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2006, 08:55:14 AM »
Actually, the brand we bought doesn't smell at all.  It's from Organix South.  Does neem usually have a smell?

Offline jenny4wen

• Adept
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2006, 08:57:07 AM »
Wow, I have Organix South Neem oil too, and it smells like garlic and peanutbutter mixed together. (the nutty garlic smell they claim is true!!! imagine that!)

I wonder why you don't smell anything! :'(

Offline Laurie

• Learning
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2006, 09:08:00 AM »
Too funny!

Well, ever since I turned 40 in December I've noticed that lots of my body parts aren't working like they used to...looks like my nose will be the next to go! ::)

Garlic and peanut butter...that's quite an interesting combination :P

Offline healthnut

• Adept
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2006, 04:14:21 PM »
Actually, the brand we bought doesn't smell at all.  It's from Organix South.  Does neem usually have a smell?
Wow, I have Organix South Neem oil too, and it smells like garlic and peanutbutter mixed together. (the nutty garlic smell they claim is true!!! imagine that!)

I wonder why you don't smell anything! :'(

I used the Neem lotion and it smelled so awful that I got a headache and became nauseated!  :P

But not to worry your nose is working fine!!!  :D

Neem and Aloe Vera Gel by Organix South does not have a smell!!!  But only because it does not contain the Neem oil.

I wrote the company and they said to try the Cream that comes in a vanilla or orange scent, and then I stumbled across the Gel. I use the Gel on my face and upper arms (some type of dermatitis) twice a day and I love it!!!  ;) It did make my nose peel very mildly for a day or two but now it is clearing up my acne and rash.

So there's my 2c. Hope it helps  :)

Offline jenny4wen

• Adept
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2006, 07:03:06 PM »
Neem and Aloe Vera Gel by Organix South does not have a smell!!!  But only because it does not contain the Neem oil.

???Then why do they call it Neem and Aloe when there isn't any Neem in it?  did they say?

Offline healthnut

• Adept
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2006, 08:53:00 PM »
Then why do they call it Neem and Aloe when there isn't any Neem in it?  did they say?
The Gel has Neem leaf extract in it which is different from the Neem oil (the product in the lotion). I wrote and talked to Shanna at Organix South and she also told me that the Neem leaf extract is safe during pregnancy. (I am not sure if this is topical applications only though.) The extract does not smell like the oil.  ;) I don't think you can take the extract internally-- I think thats just the oil.
Hope that helps  :D

Offline organixsouth

• Learning
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2006, 02:28:35 PM »
Hi There! My company manufactures the Neem & Aloe Gel, as well as the creams you were talking about.  The Neem & Aloe Gel is a light mix of roughly half neem leaf extract and half aloe vera gel. No scent. The leaf and oil have similar properties, but the gel seems to work better for acne and hot irritations, where the cream and oil based products are more nourishing. The LEAF is what is taken internally. The OIL is only to be used topically. The OIL smells like a nutty garlic. I love it, but that could be a defense mechanism too! The LEAF has virtually no scent at all.

Hope that clarifies!

Best of health,
Autumn Blum
Organix-South, Inc.
www.organixsouth.com

Offline emiowa

• Learning
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2006, 08:10:54 AM »
I use Aloe gel every night and sometimes morning to moisturize my face. Being a teen, it's hard to find a moisturizer that isn't greasy, or make my skin break out. It's also inexpensive, which is a big plus!  ;D
The only other moisturizer I use is Lubriderm SPF 15, in the mornings, to protect against skin cancer.

Offline Joy

• content
  • Learning
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2006, 03:52:36 PM »
I have used straight aloe vera goo (right out of the plant) before, for skin problems. It worked beautifully! It's horribly gunky, smells funny and tastes GROSS :-X, but I would put it on before bed & wash it off in the morning... worked for me!
I can't seem to get my aloe plant to take off like my Mom's did...  :-\ Maybe I need to transplant it....

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2006, 04:27:15 PM »
I can't seem to get my aloe plant to take off like my Mom's did...  :-\ Maybe I need to transplant it....

Aloe Vera Plant:  Growing, General Care & Uses
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Joy

• content
  • Learning
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2006, 02:17:48 PM »
Thank you!! ;D