Author Topic: APPLES - tell me what to do with them and how good they are for us.  (Read 43425 times)

Offline ladyhen

• Master
Re: APPLES - tell me what to do with them and how good they are for us.
« Reply #60 on: October 23, 2008, 01:26:03 PM »
Okay... so maybe I should freeze the pie/crisp fillings instead?

This is my favorite method!  I have a huge deep freeze and fill it with fresh fruits and veggies through the summer and fall.    

For apples, I peel, core, and slice them into a bowl of cool water with an acid in it to retard oxidation (turning brown).   You can use a couple of Tbs. of lemon juice or acv to a big bowl or a 1/2 tsp. of citric acid powder.  After the bowl is filled with apple slices, I scoop them out onto a towel to drain before packing them into ziploc bags.  Then I reuse the water a couple of times.

Frozen apple slices can be used for pie, crisp, bread, sauce, or whatever else you care to use them for.  
Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;    Titus 2:13

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #61 on: October 23, 2008, 01:28:52 PM »
Okay... so maybe I should freeze the pie/crisp fillings instead?

Umm, I'm thinking that if you freeze the clear jel filling it'd get watery. But I've never done it, so... I might be wrong. For some reason, when canning the filling, some jars loose their seal after awhile. Now that one I know from experience.  :)
There's a product called thermflo that takes freezing better. If you want to freeze I'd prepare your apples, maybe steam them lightly and toss with lemon juice and do the rest as you go.
I find few/to none - jars unseal if the pressure canning method is used. If I get a canner full that oozes filling under the lids, but seals I use them first or don't take the chance and reprocess them with cleaned tops and lids.  
Kristen, I prefer to can pie filling simply because I already have two BIG freezers and they are always full. I have to prioritize the freezer space and pie filling/apples in general don't make the cut.  :)

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #62 on: October 23, 2008, 01:31:53 PM »
Hey Boysmama, I don't think that arrowroot powder would work well. It looses some of it's thickening abilities the more it is heated. For instance, if I make gravy with arrowroot, if I heat it up for dinner the next night, it is really thin. Just wanted to point that out so you don't waste your efforts of canning and have thin syrup.  :o  ;)
Thanks for the heads up! Ya'll are the best!  :-*

Offline Simply Kristen

• My weekly podcast that explores all aspects of healthy living.
  • Master
    • SimplyKristen Blog
« Reply #63 on: October 25, 2008, 08:16:25 AM »
Update from my recent story of making uncooked applesauce.....
The cans sat on my counter for about 3 days and they started to look weird, so I figured I'd better do something.
I recently heard/read that you need to can only hot food. So, I thought that might be why they looked 'off'. The juice was settling to the bottom and the mush was rising and looked like it was drying out.
So, I dumped them in a big pot and am re-making applesauce.

BTW, they tasted/looked fine... except 1. It was kinda greyish with a bland taste. I probably should not have dumped it it, but I brought the new big pot to a boil, so it should have killed anything toxic- right?

So, they ya go!

(oh, I made applejuice and applesauce....correctly.... the other day and it was SO good).

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #64 on: October 25, 2008, 09:38:16 AM »
Sounds like reheating was a good thing.
I do can a few raw, cold packed things, but you have to change the processing times to reflect the difference.  :)
Homemade applesauce tastes soo good and we eat alot of it.  ;D

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #65 on: October 25, 2008, 10:44:28 AM »
New recipe...It's Faaa bu Luuus.  ;D ::)

Apple Sauce Bread

1-1.5 cups applesauce (if your applesauce isn't spiced, add 1/2 tsp nutmeg & 1 tsp cinnamon or to taste ;D )
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1/3 cup soft butter (I use lard)
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon vanilla

1. In a large bowl whip lard (or other fat).
   2. Cream in sugar.
   3. Add egg and beat in.
   4. Fold in baking soda and vanilla (and spices if needed).
   3. Mix in flour until smooth.
   4. Pour all ingredients into a greased loaf pan.
   5. Bake at 350 degrees for 60-75 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle of the pan comes out clean.

Applesauce Bread (Applesauce Chocolate Chip Bread)

This one is much better:

3 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 tsp salt
2 cups sugar
2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp cinnamon (if applesauce is not spiced, you might add more)
1/2 tsp nutmeg (if applesauce is not spiced, you might add more)
1 cup lard
4 eggs beaten
1/3 cup water
2 cups applesauce
1 tsp white vinegar

In separate bowl combine flour, soda, cinnmon, nutmeg and salt.  Set aside.  In another bowl, beat lard until creamy white and smooth.  Add sugar and cream together until you have course sugary crumbs.  Add eggs one at a time beating well after each addition.  Add applesauce, vinegar and water and blend well.  Add flour mixture a portion at a time to prevent dusting.  Mix well.  Pour into 2 greased (butter) bread pans and bake 55-75 minutes at 350o or until toothpick inserted comes out clean or use muffin pans (1/2 full cups) and bake 20-35 minutes (makes about 4 dozen).

For something totally delicious, add 1 cup of chocolate chips (REALLY!).  I tried this yesterday and I'm totally impressed.  Even better if you make a thin butter sandwich out of it and eat it like a layered cake.  ;)  I think I'll try cream cheese filling next time.   ::)
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Simply Kristen

• Master
    • SimplyKristen Blog
« Reply #66 on: March 23, 2009, 04:23:09 AM »
Question:
I've got a bushel of tart apples. I had planned to use my slicer/peeler thingamagig to core and peel.... But the apples are a bit too soft. It's not working out.

My goal is to peel/slice/put in freezer for future dessert use.
Any tips to make this process easier?

Offline Mrs. B

• Master
« Reply #67 on: March 23, 2009, 07:25:44 AM »
Question:
I've got a bushel of tart apples. I had planned to use my slicer/peeler thingamagig to core and peel.... But the apples are a bit too soft. It's not working out.

I'm hoping you get  some great answer to this, but I don't have it... I don't personally like mushy apples, and I would think that the freezing aspect might make it worse.  I would probably either make apple sauce, apple butter or juice them and make jelly.

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #68 on: March 23, 2009, 08:13:39 AM »
Question:

Sometimes a vegetable peeler works on apples to soft for the thingamagig.  :) If they are too soft for that I am afraid the only other thought I have is to do it the hard way with a paring knife.

I assume the peels are bit too tough at this far past season to simply leave them on?

Offline Simply Kristen

• Master
    • SimplyKristen Blog
« Reply #69 on: March 23, 2009, 09:47:28 AM »
Nope they aren't old. I just got these bushels in last week (a truck load came to our "co-op"). But, they have faded FAST. They were firm...... but no more  :P.

I'm thinking I'll just mix them with the Red Delicious and make sauce. :-P

Offline Gigi

• Master
« Reply #70 on: March 23, 2009, 10:09:41 AM »
I would make sauce, also.

Do you have a hand blender?  If so, do NOT bother peeling them.

Quarter and core them, put them in a pot with just enough water to keep them from sticking and  cook until soft.  Once they're soft, you'll be able to use your hand blender right in the pot to chop it up and you'll hardly know you had the peels in there. 

Benefits are the extra nutrition in the skin and a LOT easier processing.

I was amazed at how easy it is to make the apple skin disappear with the hand blender.  Works like a charm.

HTH

Offline SarahK

• Master
« Reply #71 on: March 24, 2009, 02:58:53 AM »
Nope they aren't old. I just got these bushels in last week (a truck load came to our "co-op"). But, they have faded FAST. They were firm...... but no more  :P.

I'm thinking I'll just mix them with the Red Delicious and make sauce. :-P

Well, actually they have to be old.  Unless they are from south of the equator, apples are ripe in the northern hemisphere Fall only.  The ones you bought probably were in coolers all winter long.  They stay pretty nicely that way but are easily effected by temp change. 
I have learned enough to know I still have lots to learn.  Teach me.
My WTM Intro updated 9/2010

Offline GarlicMomma

• Adept
  • My dd took this one in late summer in TN.
« Reply #72 on: September 24, 2010, 01:46:06 AM »
Fall is upon us and the apples are dropping. Would love to revive this thread. In particular, has anyone had any success with canning apples without sugar and additional products like pectin?

We are enjoying cheap apples this fall and have been dehydrating. There are still apples on my counter to go through.  I am planning on freezing some for pie filling too. I also want to do a test batch for canning without additional items.

Have loved reading this thread this fall. And now going to go make the apple puffed pancakes for breakfast for my family. mmmm!

Offline petersgirl

• Learning
« Reply #73 on: September 24, 2010, 11:12:09 AM »
I have just learned of a wonderful and healthy way to use up apples - Apple Kraut.   Think saurkraut, the good lacto-fermented way but then use apples and end up with a product that tastes like applesauce but that is loaded with nutrition.   
I don't have a set recipe, but this is what I was told:
Using your food processor, grate or thinly slice the apples.  Add the juice of 1-2 lemons, a bit of salt (I don't know exactly how much, but not so that it is very salty) and then you can add cinnamon and whatever other spices you might like with apples (cloves, nutmeg etc.)   It is probably best to use whey (a tablespoon or so) with this one as you don't want it too salty.  Then proceed as with saurkraut - put it in a jar and let it sit for a couple days and then test.   I plan to do this very soon and can post results.  Have fun!

Offline GarlicMomma

• Adept
  • My dd took this one in late summer in TN.
« Reply #74 on: September 24, 2010, 04:36:55 PM »
Yes, if you are planning to make the apple kraut soon, please post the results. I would be interested for a test batch.

I did make the apple puffed pancake this morning with evaporated milk, ww flour, and sucanat, being substituted in for the similar ingredients.  It turned out pretty well. My dd thought it was tasty as a pie. I liked that it did not have much sweeteners in it.

Offline DHW

• Adept
« Reply #75 on: September 28, 2010, 04:22:15 PM »
Dr. Ben Kim's apple cleanse:  http://drbenkim.com/articles- detoxification-routine.htm

All the apples you can eat!  Plus celery and lettuce.  Eat these for breakfast, lunch and snacks, then have a dinner which includes 50% green vegetables.