Author Topic: Daughter with Cerebral Palsy  (Read 4810 times)

Offline Mariana

• Learning
Daughter with Cerebral Palsy
« on: August 13, 2008, 08:18:05 PM »
Aloha
Our daughter is seven years old and goes under the label cerebral palsy, (CP).
She arrived three months early and suffered at the doctors hands, since I gave
birth at a teaching hospital and all premature infants were not considered babies
but systems and functions to practice on. 
Our daughter did make it out of the hospital and contrary to the nurses and doctors
I was able to nurse her for four years.  I have never allowed any shots to be administered
to her.  She does not take any medications.  She is a joy though a constant concern since
she still does not walk or crawl or use her arms much.  She hast started talking this year
and does work weekly with a speech pathologist who comes to our home since we homeschool.
My question is: are there any great/good books out there or websights that would help me better understand and work with her with nutrition and diet to overcome this cp? I am praying for help and healing.  I have read some books that mothers have written on Autism and how they were able to pull their child through a window of silence and fog with nutrition. I feel my daughter is ready for the next step.
Respectfully Mariana

Offline Becks

• Adept
Re: Daughter with Cerebral Palsy
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2008, 04:31:01 PM »
Hi there Mariana,
I'm touched by your note and wanted to share my experience with you.  I hope that it is an encouragement and maybe a source of ideas for you as well.

It is my understanding that CP is very different in how it manifests itself in each person.  It affects muscles and is not known to be a cognitive disability.  I have known it to be treated through physical therapy as well as botox injections.  I personally have only used the physical therapy route, but I recently heard about a friend of mine who's grandchild uses botox injections to treat CP.

I was born 2 months premature and 3 pounds at birth.  I was diagnosed with very mild cerebral palsy at 2 years old. I had just begun to walk at that age.  Until that time I was underweight and struggled to make it since I had a heart murmur that wasn't fixed until I was 1 year old.  Once the heart murmur was fixed, I began to grow and really thrive to the piont of attempting to walk.  I underwent years of physical therapy as well as learning to swim in a heated pool to warm up my muscles and encourage flexibility. 

As an adult, I am considered "highly ambulatory."  I walk with a limp since my right leg is much less flexible than my left.  I have never needed a wheelchair but I have used orthodics in my shoes as well as plaster casts on my legs to stretch the muscles.  I did go through some therapy as a kid to prevent drooling as well.  Simple things like learning to blow bubbles with bubble gum and chewing hard food objects like breadsticks to strengthen my mouth muscles. 

I have successfully delivered 3 babies naturally and I'm pregnant with my 4th right now.  I was able to go to school and eventually college to become a teacher.  My husband and I are missionaries to Mexico. 

I wish I had book recommendations for you.  I've heard that there are Cerebral Palsy support groups in many states.  My mom once wrote to a friend of mine who was concerned about her own daughter.   In this letter my mom shares her struggles and personal solutions on how she and my dad raised me.  Her solutions focuss more on the therapy options available and attitudes she tried to have and teach me as well.  I know my situation is very different than yours, but I still wanted to share it.  If you wanted to see my mom's letter, I could PM or e-mail it to you.  Just PM me to let me know.

I like who I am  :D.  I accept that this is how God made me and He loves me just the way I am and that allows me to be comfortable with myself too. 

May God bless you in your search for answers,
« Last Edit: September 19, 2008, 02:42:01 PM by shekinah »

Offline Mariana

• Learning
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2008, 07:34:08 AM »
Thank you for the encouraging testimony. :D
Since I'm a new member I can't PM, but I'd love to read the letter and am very interested in the attitudes your mom taught you. My e-mail is kidswritenewspaper@yahoo.com
« Last Edit: August 15, 2008, 07:46:23 AM by Mariana »

Offline Becks

• Adept
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2008, 04:20:19 PM »
Ok, just sent it to you. :D
« Last Edit: September 19, 2008, 02:41:05 PM by shekinah »

Offline Mariana

• Learning
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2008, 02:09:15 PM »
Thank you so very much Becky. :D
(As you can tell I don't go online very much.)
It meant a lot that you would take the time and energy to find the letter and send it to a family that you  don't even know. It gave me a lot of helpful and practical advice.
Thank you again. =)

~Mariana

Offline Becks

• Adept
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2008, 05:16:42 PM »
Thank you so very much.
(As you can tell I don't go online very much.)
It meant a lot that you would take the time and energy to find the letter and send it to a family that you  don't even know. It gave me a lot of helpful and practical advice.
Thank you again. =)

~Mariana

You are so very welcome  ;D.  I just got internet at home, so I haven't been online in a while either.  I'm glad you found it helpful.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2008, 02:40:37 PM by shekinah »