Author Topic: Friend needs help with cross-eyed baby. Looking for "No-no's"  (Read 9026 times)

Offline Helpmeetmom

• Adept
    • Avon organics
Friend needs help with cross-eyed baby. Looking for "No-no's"
« on: August 11, 2008, 07:41:36 AM »
My friend's baby has already undergone a few tests, and thankfully she doesn't have cancer, but she is cross-eyed.   The young family is trying to not go the surgery route, and are  covering the good eye, so the cross-eye  may correct itself.  The baby continually pulls at the patch or bandaid, and although the sweet young mother has spent many hours training the child to not grasp at her eye, she just can't seem to stop herself from pulling off whatever it is that is obstructing her view.
     My friend's doctor told her that she'd heard of an item which slides up the baby's arms and keeps the baby from bending her arms.  Kind of the way an empty  toilet paper roll would work.  She has already done an extensive online search, but with the only words they know of being "no-nos", that just brings up way too many things in searches.  Has anyone ever heard of these?  Please lemme know asap.  Also keep them in your prayers if you think to, thank you so much.  Her baby is almost the exact same age as mine.  They have such sweet attitudes about this,and praise the Lord they know now that it's not life-threatening.  Thanks!
So grateful for all the Lord has done for me and my family.  God is so good!

Offline missourigirl

• daddysprincess
  • Learning
Re: Friend needs help with cross-eyed baby. Looking for "No-no's"
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2008, 08:10:17 AM »
how old is the baby? i had a lazy eye when i was little and i wore a patch over the good eye only at certain times of the day and it seemed to correct it. i still have a lazy eye but you can only see it when i am really tired and i look to the side. they might have to wait till she is a little older and can leave the patch alone. i hope this helps!  :-\
Life's a Dance, you learn as you go, Sometimes you lead and sometimes you follow, Don't worry 'bout what you don't know, Life's a dance you learn as you go!

Offline Whiterock

• Jesus Knows Me, This I Love
  • Guru
  • Eph 6:16
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2008, 09:04:20 AM »
The younger they are when you start patching, the better it works. They do have some drops that you can put in the eye to blur the vision and have the same effect as the patch. She may want to consider those. I'm really surprised her doctor didn't suggest it, though. I wonder if he has a reason.

WR
Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!

Offline MamaKate

• Adept
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2008, 02:10:15 PM »
Try www.fresnelprism.com  They have "pedi-wraps" that keep a child from bending their arms. Hope that helps. We've dealt with some of the same things, having  a little one who was cross-eyed from birth. :'(
Mama to 6 Beautiful Bessings!

Offline Helpmeetmom

• Adept
    • Avon organics
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2008, 05:31:15 PM »
how old is the baby? i had a lazy eye when i was little and i wore a patch over the good eye only at certain times of the day and it seemed to correct it. i still have a lazy eye but you can only see it when i am really tired and i look to the side. they might have to wait till she is a little older and can leave the patch alone. i hope this helps!  :-\
The baby is 9 months old.  The doc's are trying to persuade them to have surgery, but they are going to do the patch thing for now.  I'm encouraged that yours was corrected.  Thank you! 

Offline Helpmeetmom

• Adept
    • Avon organics
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2008, 05:36:58 PM »
Try www.fresnelprism.com  They have "pedi-wraps" that keep a child from bending their arms. Hope that helps. We've dealt with some of the same things, having  a little one who was cross-eyed from birth. :'(

Bless your heart.  Thank you for the link, those are really nice-looking.  It must be such a difficult thing.  This young family are handling it so amazingly.  I'm sorry you and your family had to go through that pain as well.  thanks again for the link.

Offline lovetoreadmom

• Master
  • Music in my kitchen :)
    • The Most Important Job in the World for a Married Woman
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2008, 02:48:04 AM »
My friend's baby has already undergone a few tests, and thankfully she doesn't have cancer, but she is cross-eyed.   The young family is trying to not go the surgery route, and are  covering the good eye, so the cross-eye  may correct itself. 

Do you know if it's strabismus or Duane's syndrome?  I was diagnosed w/ this when I was 17mo, and from that time until I was 27yo (yes, that's years), I had five surgeries.  I will have this condition for the rest of my life, but most people can't tell anymore.  I only suffer w/ a little pain if I don't wear sunglasses even on overcast days, since the muscles around my eyes are so tender.

Anyway, I just recommended these sites to a friend whose daughter was just diagnosed w/ Duane's Syndrome. 

http://www.strabismus.org/Duane_Syndrome.html
http://www.webmd.com/eye-health/duane-syndrome

I have come to believe over the years what I read on the webmd.com site, and that is that it's actually a nerve problem.  This, I believe (not stated on webmd, of course  ::)) *may* actually be helped or even corrected by chiropractic care.  I wish my parents had known this before all that I went through w/ my eyes.  However, if it can help this little one, it's worth looking in to, I believe.  HTH
Wife to Ron for 8 years (on 7.13.10 :)), and Mama to DS 6yo, DD 3-1/2yo, and DS 19mo! . . . and DD#2 due in August, 2010.

Offline thitsman

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2009, 05:17:28 AM »
Love to read mom, I know that I read at one time that you had some chiropractic help with your Duane's syndrome and I think I read what the chiropractor did on web MD but I cannot find it now can you tell me what your chiropractor did, I have a 3 1/2 year old with multiple health problems with Duane's syndrome as one and I take her to the chiropractor and I wanted to know what the chiropractor could try? Please let me know!!