Author Topic: Diatomaceous Earth [DE]: External Use for Pests [Fleas, Garden, etc.]  (Read 30049 times)

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
I've read up on diatomaceous earth and I want to buy some food grade for controlling fleas.  I'd like to hear from anyone who knows where to buy, how much to use and any other things I might need to be warned of using this stuff.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
Re: Diatomaceous Earth [DE]: External Use for Pests [Fleas, Garden, etc.]
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2008, 09:15:34 AM »
Warning: DE is very dusty and you do not want humans or animals to breath it in. It can cause severe respiratory distress. Especially anyone with a history of asthma or related problems should use a mask while handling DE.
I experimented with internal use in my goats years ago and quit.
I also tried it directly on the dogs, rubbing it in to the skin and dusting all around the kennel (while vacated). It did seem to get rid of most of the fleas, but also dried out their skin.
I found mine as a one time deal at a local feed store.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2008, 09:19:24 AM »
Anyone else?
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline ladyhen

• Master
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2008, 09:19:38 AM »
I used to buy de from a farm coop that carried PermaGuard brand.  It had a special dispenser in order to give the de a static charge so that it would cling to the insects when they pass through it.  When the insects clean themselves, the de cuts 'em up.  It also had pyrethrum (sp?) in it, a natural plant product that irritates bugs.  They carry a great product, imo.  Not sure if food grade could be used in the same way.  

www.permaguard.com

I wore a dust mask or wet bandana on my face when I dusted it around the house or yard.  We put a wet bandana around our dogs faces when we dusted them.  We used it in the chicken yard to help keep the fly population down and it seemed to work well.  We used it for flies, cockroaches, fleas, etc.  Anything with an exoskeleton, I suppose.

Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;    Titus 2:13

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2008, 01:58:19 PM »
Here's a couple of quotes of mine about Diatomaeous Earth from other threads. I agree with LadyHen, IMO Perma-Gaurd has the best DE & their web site has the best info.

Hope your kitty is doing better. You can use food grade Diatomaceous Earth (DE) from Perma-Guard. The web address is:  http://www.perma-guard.com/index.html. "It is the fossilized remains of microscopic shells created by one celled plants called DIATOMS. When insects come in contact with DE, their shell is worn through and death is by dehydration. There is no survival and no immunity." To an insect it is like walking through a bunch of razor blades :o so the bugs ooze to death- it also clogs up their breathing. To humans and pets it is safe- you can mix it into grains for storage & don't have to remove it before milling or cooking. It can be taken by pets & people as a mineral supplement & to prevent/treat parasites.  You would use this on a pet by rubbing it into the fur & putting into cracks & crevices around the house. DO NOT use swimming poll DE! It is NOT the same & will damage your lungs! :P :P See the web site for a much better explanation how DE works & why Perma-Guard is the best. It is the only brand that we will use. HTH

Food-grade diatomaceous earth (DE)- NOT the DE for swimming pools, can be used in cracks & crevices & in carpets for fleas. A link for Perma-Guard is below but I wanted to throw in that IMO although Perma-Guard carries DE that has been mixed with 2 other chemicals to make it more effective against insects, for in the house use, I would use just the food grade DE. It is still effective against insects but it is also food safe & can be mixed w/grains to protect in in storage & given as a supplement to animals & people to prevent & treat for parasites. If a baby ingested some that was applied around the house, it would not hurt them if it was the DE sold for food.

Here's a quote from Perma-Guard's website:

From household pets to field crops, grain storage, and livestock feeding, Perma-Guard is Mother Nature's product for safely protecting us from pesky bugs, with no harm to the environment or to people !

Our company, Perma-Guard, Inc. is the original and largest supplier of food-grade diatomaceous earth products in the world. PERMA-GUARD is the trade name for a grade and quality of Diatomaceous Earth (DE). Actually, DE is not an earth. It is the fossilized remains of microscopic shells created by one celled plants called DIATOMS. When insects come in contact with DE, their shell is worn through and death is by dehydration. There is no survival and no immunity.

These products do not contain persistent chemicals harmful to the environment and to higher forms of life, to which insects become immune--it is an organic insecticide. Perma-Guard products are a much needed revolution for pest control.

Perma-Guard kills by physical action, not chemical -- by puncturing the insects exoskeleton and absorbing its body fluids, thus posing no harm to warm-blooded life. The addition of Pyrethrum and Piperonyl butoxide is to irritate the bug, causing physical action, allowing the DE to work more quickly. Birds who eat bugs get 14 extra trace minerals.

These products are certain death to insects. Moreover, on any surface, these natural pesticide products have a remarkable repellency factor. As long as it is present, insects tend to stay away, making a serious infestation unlikely. Also, the more it is used, the more an environment is created that tends to make insects feel unwelcome.

Perma-Guard, Inc. owns the patents acquired in 1962 for animal food additives and insecticides.

Here's the link:

Perma-Guard

HTH Blessings ~herbalmom

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2008, 02:01:22 PM »
the best price is here....
https://www.earthworkshealth.com/detail.php?id=3

this appears to be the "real" company but can't tell for sure
http://perma-guard.com/paypal_zone3.html

i thought this was the real company, notice the URL, but it says distributor
http://permaguard.com/

and here's one more that's not as cheap but appears to be a genuine site
http://www.gardenharvestsupply.com/productcart/pc/viewCategories.asp?idCategory=11

only #1 and #2 have 10# containers and I don't really need this much but it's more cost effective to get this much.  #1 is cheaper than #2 by about $8.00/10lb

I believe they are all selling "PermaGuard"

What do you think?
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2008, 02:24:41 PM »
Also, every site I've read so far says you must use Food Grade in house, around pets, in carpets, etc, because the other grade (pool filter, etc) is a heated form and has very sharp particles that could penetrate and hurt the body and your pets.  This other grade is sold for use in pool filters and for use in the lawn and garden.

Food grade is supposed to be useful for internal parasite cleansing for humans and animals.  Some claim it helped them lose weight--I'm guessing from the loss of the parasites...
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline ladyhen

• Master
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2008, 03:29:16 PM »
Looks like a great price!  I paid more than that for about 4 or 5 pounds of plain, food grade de a couple of years ago. 

And, YES, it is very different from the pool filter stuff.
Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;    Titus 2:13

Offline HOMEFree

• Adept
    • Spark This Marriage - Christian marriage & romance boutique
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2008, 04:29:52 PM »
My mom has an organic farm and LOVES using DE around plants. She swears by it.
On the other hand, bugs are not fans of it.  ;D
« Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 06:52:44 AM by H0MEFree »

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2008, 08:11:13 AM »
https://www.earthworkshealth.com/detail.php?id=3...

What do you think?
I cannot attest to the quality or effectiveness of the product as of yet, but I can attest that this company is legitimate and does in fact send a bag of white stuff labeled at diatomaceous earth.  They do return phone calls and their service was expeditious.  I ordered on Thursday morning and my package arrived moments ago and I DID NOT pay for overnight shipping.  I'll let you know about the fleas in a few days.  Today, I have a wedding to go to.   ;D
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2008, 05:40:18 AM »
I almost forgot to post an update.  It took 7 days and the fleas were gone...HOOORAAY!  It worked well and nobody got sick.

No more ToPSpot for us EVER!!!!

What do you think?
I cannot attest to the quality or effectiveness of the product as of yet, but I can attest that this company is legitimate and does in fact send a bag of white stuff labeled at diatomaceous earth.  They do return phone calls and their service was expeditious.  I ordered on Thursday morning and my package arrived moments ago and I DID NOT pay for overnight shipping.  I'll let you know about the fleas in a few days.  Today, I have a wedding to go to.   ;D
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Mama Sita

• Adept
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2008, 05:50:56 AM »
OK, HB, spill it...
How did you apply the DE? Sprinkle it on, then vacuum off? Leave it overnight? Apply every single day for 7 days?? Tell us!! ;D
I need to know b/c I have a sis in Kentucky and they are fighting fleas right now, too. They have a brand new baby due and they keep getting bit by fleas, waking up in the morning with connect-the-dots.

Any info would be humbly appreciated. Thanks. :)

I almost forgot to post an update.  It took 7 days and the fleas were gone...HOOORAAY!  It worked well and nobody got sick.

What do you think?
"No one stands as tall as a Christian on his knees."
Get $5 off your first iHerb.com order: Code ISA141

Offline mhoward1999

• Adept
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2008, 06:11:17 AM »
OK, HB, spill it...
How did you apply the DE? Sprinkle it on, then vacuum off? Leave it overnight? Apply every single day for 7 days?? Tell us!! ;D
I need to know b/c I have a sis in Kentucky and they are fighting fleas right now, too. They have a brand new baby due and they keep getting bit by fleas, waking up in the morning with connect-the-dots.

...what she said!

Offline ladyhen

• Master
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2008, 07:19:18 AM »
OK, HB, spill it...

...what she said!

They sell a household use applicator here;

https://www.earthworkshealth.com/detail.php?id=9

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2008, 12:18:55 PM »
We covered our faces with bandanas, put the kids to bed (in that order), then used a flour sifter to sprinkle the dust onto the carpet very generously (the carpet was brown when we started and very dusty white when we were finished).  We then turned a fan on low to help settle the dust and clear the room.  We let the dust sit for 7 days with no reapplication and then vacuumed.  In most cases the vacuum will not stir the dust back up because it's been beat into the carpet over the 7 days time.  If it begins to dust up put your mask back on for protection.

For the cats, right after we applied the dust to the carpet, we held the cats down while one person covered the mouth and nose with a cloth and the other dusted the animal generously and rubbed into the fur and let them go.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2008, 12:21:53 PM »
OK, I read all of the info on this site

www.earthworkshealth.com - especially their testamonials -

Am I the only one who thinks it's strange that something could have so many health benefits that is used to fight fleas in your home and on your pets????

This is silica based.  The reason it kills fleas has nothing to do with toxicity (poisons), it's damaging (sharp) to the fleas outer protective layer (exoskeleton).

I don't quite understand why it's healthy or if it even is from experience, but there is alot of research out on google.  You're on your own - no experience here - YET!
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Gigi

• Master
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2009, 04:08:14 AM »
I've read that it is not good to inhale it.  Don't remember where, though.

The implication was that if you inhale it daily that over time it could give some issues in the lungs.  I wear a mask if I'm going to be swimming in it. 

Don't know if it would really be that dusty if you were just scooping up a small spoonful . . .

Offline Larry

• Adept
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2009, 11:35:36 AM »
I have done some reading over the last couple of weeks and from what I can gather, the DE for pool filters, is heated and the heating melts the microscopic edges and also increases the % of silica. Silica don't dissolve in the lungs and that's the reason for the health concern.

"Raw" (as in unheated powder) DE is food grade and contains less silica. I have 50Lbs on order, from a feed store, for $30 and can see no reason to pay more.

I wish I had created a file and saved references but I didn't. If I remember correctly, it is widely accepted, including by the FDA, as an insecticide. Some of the literature, from ppl that are not selling DE, say that it controlls intestinal worms in cattle. There are claims that DE cures cancer, boils, etc but these claims are from ppl who sell it so I remain unconvinced but am open to the ideas.

Over the last ten years we have seen "seed ticks" come into the area (probably from reintroduced elk or coyotes) and it's getting so bad that the kids get covered up if they go outside, so I plan on borrowing a leaf blower and dusting the yard and fields and I will also experiment with it and let you know what I find out.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2009, 12:56:48 PM by Larry »

Offline Larry

• Adept
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2009, 06:16:09 PM »
I caught two ticks and placed them in a ziplock bag with a pinch of DE and the ticks were dead in an hour or so. I also dusted our dog and found dead ticks on the porch, where she sleeps, the next day.

I dusted potato bugs Saturday but haven't been back to check on them.

Offline BJ_BOBBI_JO

• Guru
  • I SEE YOU
    • BJ_BOBBI_JO blog
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2009, 05:30:29 PM »
I remember learning about DE here on WTM last year but I was not in a position at the time to be able to buy any so after a while I forgot about it. I found a way to get some now.

Is it the food grade DE that I sprinkle on the pets and my house?

If it isnt the food grade DE then what type of DE do I need to use?

We are literally living in a chemical infested house and it is making me sick. I have to spray junk all over the house, on our skin and on the dogs just so we can not be bit endlessly by fleas.  We got fleas for the 1st time last year after years and years of having pets with no fleas or little fleas.

I wash the bedding and areas and still the fleas wont die. I put the monthly drops on the dogs and give them flea shampoo baths and nothing helps.

So I came to WTM and refound the DE information and plan on trying to get some tomorrow. It is my last hope.

Offline ladyhen

• Master
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2009, 04:14:32 AM »

Is it the food grade DE that I sprinkle on the pets and my house?

If it isnt the food grade DE then what type of DE do I need to use?

BJ -
The DE that is used to kill insects like fleas is different from the food grade.  This is the most effective product and method that we have found.

read this post

Offline BJ_BOBBI_JO

• Guru
  • I SEE YOU
    • BJ_BOBBI_JO blog
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2009, 04:51:01 AM »
Ok my over active mind is getting confused (no suprise lol).

So I dont want the swimming pool DE cause that is not safe for pets and people.

And if I want to use DE for savagly murdering fleas I dont want the food grade DE but also not the swimming pool DE right?

But if I want to terroize and kill intestional parasights in both humans and animals then I want the food grade DE?

So far Im only finding the food grade DE and the swimming pool DE info. I have not come across another DE.

Offline ladyhen

• Master
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2009, 05:05:41 AM »
To find the DE that is appropriate for pest control, either go to the permaguard link in my post above or go to your local feed or farm supply store and ask them for it. 

In my opinion, that would probably be the safest way to go.   Unless you are very familiar with what it is and how to use it safely, it would be best to buy the product that is made for the purpose and follow the directions.

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2009, 05:35:42 AM »
Ok my over active mind is getting confused (no suprise lol).

So I dont want the swimming pool DE cause that is not safe for pets and people.

And if I want to use DE for savagly murdering fleas I dont want the food grade DE but also not the swimming pool DE right?

But if I want to terroize and kill intestional parasights in both humans and animals then I want the food grade DE?

So far Im only finding the food grade DE and the swimming pool DE info. I have not come across another DE.

BJ,

Stay away from the pool type.

You CAN use food grade DE for pest control. The pest control type of DE has pyrethrum added to it. Pyrethrum is is an insecticide made from plants that's less toxic than most insecticides. It does make DE work better against pests but DE will still work w/out it. Pyrethrum works by basically poisoning the bug. DE works mechanically- by clogging bug's breathing & slicing up their skin so they dehydrate to death. It will still do that even without pyrethrum added to it.

Esp since you're using it for fleas, I assume that you will be treating your carpet with it, right? If that's the case, the food grade would be MUCH better IMO because your kids & animals play on that carpet & might get some of the powder on them or breath it in. Although pyrethrum is low toxic it can still cause problems- my mom's cat once got VERY sick after my mom treated her houseplants with a pyrethrum insecticide. So better safe than sorry. HTH Blessigs ~herbalmom 

Offline BJ_BOBBI_JO

• Guru
  • I SEE YOU
    • BJ_BOBBI_JO blog
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2009, 07:29:05 AM »
OK I go pick up a 50 pound of food grade DE tomrrow when the co-op gets more in.

I am ambarrassed to say that we have a terrible flea infestation in our house. I am new to fleas. Before the flea dog drops always worked but now for some reason they no longer work and the flea population has gotten out of hand. The popular natural stuff like lavender, peppermint and others does not help. The ecalyptus oil helps some so I plan on keeping that around thanks to a good sujesstion from a fellow WTM'er in an IM.

I plan on saturating the  house with DE. I know it will be a pain to sweep up but this infestation is so bad that we cant even be in the house without having bug spray on from head to toe. I spray the kids down before bed so they arent bit up as they sleep. The dogs dont even want to be in the house anymore because of the fleas. The one dog has scratched a lot of his fur off and has leathery skin because of it.

I wash blankets and so on with bleach but the fleas keep coming back. I pile junk on the dogs and the fleas wont go away.

So here is my plan please advise me if it seems wrong or unsafe:

I plan on powdering DE all over the floors, furnture, beds, clean clothes, closests, towel drawers and everywhere. I realize this means we will be walking around with powdery white stuff all over us but at this point Im cool with that. Im even cool with sleeping in bed that is all powerded up with DE.

I also plan on powdering up the dogs fur every day if that is safe to do. They have fleas so awfully bad. I give them a flea bath and put flea drops on them and the fleas still remain so I wanna savagly attack and kill those vial fleas and help my pets be more comfortable in doing so.

Is there a way a person can use DE to clean their house like counters, floors and so on?

Like getting it wet or does that just make it like a dough?

My lower legs are getting bit right now as I type and I just got done mopping the floor with bleach and still those fleas are around.

I might get some deet from gander mountain to use on my floors and counters as well.

If I was rich I would buy 1000s of pounds of DE and deet and sprinkle it all over my yard and basement.

Fleas are way worse then lice because fleas live longer, are harder to kill, breed faster and bite over and over and over.

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2009, 08:30:46 AM »
BJ, Although DE is safe overall, it's still a fine powder & ANY fine powder isn't good for you to breathe in all the time b/c it's covering your beds, clothes, etc.

Edited to add ~So I'm saying IMO YES, use DE, just not quite so much & not all over your beds, clothes, towels, counters, etc.~   

Re-read HB's posts from when she got rid of fleas using DE. She didn't have to treat all of that & the fleas are gone. I quoted the posts below to make it easier to find.

If it was me this is where I would put the DE:

All carpets & rugs the same way HB did it.

All cracks in the house- you can sweep it into cracks or use a squeeze bottle (like the yellow & red mustard & ketchup bottles you buy at WalMart) & puff it into cracks

inside the box springs of the beds

inside (up inside the springs & padding) of couches & chairs

under the fridge & stove

dust the ground with it outside where the dogs tend to hang out

After a week or 2 vacuum & sweep up what you can. Whatever you sweep up can be added to what you have on the ground outside- after all, a little more dirt (that's mixed in with the DE) outside won't hurt anything.

The DE you put in cracks & inside the box springs, couches & chairs will stay & help prevent any more in the future. Leave what you apply outside- it will eventually blow away or get mixed into the dirt anyways.

As far as the dogs, you probably don't need to treat them everyday. When you treat them with the DE brush their fur backward &work the DE down into the fur. It will coat the hair & skin & it once it's down inside their fur it will tend to stay put. Maybe treat them every 3-7 days if you think they need it but everyday probably won't work any better & will just waste DE & your $$$.

As far as cleaning & bug spray both try using this mixture I talk about in this post.

http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,2514.msg49831.html#msg49831

Make it with eucalyptus ess oil. (I like to add mint ess oil to it as well b/c I use NOW brand for this & the scent is a little harsh- mint mellows it out) Be SURE that you realize it's a CONCENTRATE- you mix 3 tablespoons concentrate with 1 quart water. You can mix it in a spray bottle & use the same bottle to both clean with AND spray (or wipe) on your skin as an insect repellent.

Yes, I DID say that it works for cleaning & as an insect repellent. Strange but true. We found that out when DH used to drive cross country for work & I used the cleaner to make cleaning wipes for his hands & arms. Turned out that when he used them, the skeeters left him alone.  ;D

As far as washing stuff & cleaning with bleach, bleach doesn't do anything to help get rib of fleas & it's just not good for the humans. Try the eucalyptus for cleaning instead, I think you will like the results.

If your local HFS carries it, Citra Solv cleaner is also good. It cleans, smells great & citrus is also a natural pest repellent & insecticide that's safe for humans & animals.

http://www.citra-solv.com/ppcsc.shtml

Citra Solv doesn't work well on the skin as a insect repellent though, use the eucalyptus for that.

One other thing- plug a nightlight into an outlet near the floor in every room you can & leave as many of the other lights off in that room as you can. Then put a bowl or baking dish under the nightlight with some soapy water in it. The fleas will try to jump toward the light, land in the soapy water (has to be soapy) & drown. Just the light & soapy water alone won't get rid of them but it will cut the numbers down.  :D

HTH Blessings ~herbalmom

We covered our faces with bandanas, put the kids to bed (in that order), then used a flour sifter to sprinkle the dust onto the carpet very generously (the carpet was brown when we started and very dusty white when we were finished).  We then turned a fan on low to help settle the dust and clear the room.  We let the dust sit for 7 days with no reapplication and then vacuumed.  In most cases the vacuum will not stir the dust back up because it's been beat into the carpet over the 7 days time.  If it begins to dust up put your mask back on for protection.

For the cats, right after we applied the dust to the carpet, we held the cats down while one person covered the mouth and nose with a cloth and the other dusted the animal generously and rubbed into the fur and let them go.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2009, 11:29:03 AM by herbalmom »

Offline Rene

• Adept
  • Crucified with Christ! :)
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2009, 09:22:39 AM »
BJ, I *do* think  you should use DE, because it's great stuff, I have read though that too much on the carpet can mess with your vacuum cleaner.  We had a flea problem "after" our cats were gone.  What I did was vacuum every day and after each room I sucked up salt into the vacuum using the hose.  After about 2 weeks the fleas were gone. 
(
  )
 (
__
\_/o   Rene' Helpmeet to Billy - 13  years!! Homeschooling Momma to Anna - 12, Melissa - 9, and Holly - 7

Offline orcuttranch

• Adept
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2009, 12:57:33 PM »
I read somewhere on here that you can use diatomaceous earth on your garden to control bugs.  If I am just putting it around the plant in the dirt, do I need to use food grade?  or can I just use the stuff for swimming pools.  Does anybody know?  We have the swimming pool stuff handy - but I would have to go buy the food grade stuff.  Also, if I do need the food grade stuff, where do I buy it?

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2009, 01:48:20 PM »
I read somewhere on here that you can use diatomaceous earth on your garden to control bugs.  If I am just putting it around the plant in the dirt, do I need to use food grade?  or can I just use the stuff for swimming pools.  Does anybody know?  We have the swimming pool stuff handy - but I would have to go buy the food grade stuff.  Also, if I do need the food grade stuff, where do I buy it?

I do not use food grade in my garden.  I sprinkle the DE heavily on the ground and on the leaves (and I don't worry if it hits the fruit/veggie) of my plants.  It washes off easily and I've never had any issues with doing it that way.

patti
For I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I've committed unto him against that day.

Offline orcuttranch

• Adept
« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2009, 05:54:58 PM »
Oh thanks so much!