Author Topic: Pancake Syrup  (Read 12053 times)

Offline khix

• Master
  • Forever changed, forever Yours!
Pancake Syrup
« on: July 30, 2008, 02:22:09 AM »

Another thought I have is this:  I go through the grocery store and see that the sugar sweetened cereal is SO cheap, much cheaper than the healthier kinds and in my mind I think that is Satan.  He wants us to be unhealthy.   He practically hands us the junk food, cereal, pop....whatever.   And, the junk is easier as well.  I can open a bag of chips in an instant.  Making a healthy salad takes a little more time. 

Yeah, WHY is healthy stuff always more expensive?  It makes it hard to be good stewards of your health & money at the same time! 

Another example of the above....this weekend, I was buying pancake syrup (because I had planned on making pancakes, etc as a meal)...and really, really wanted the real maple syrup...but a little bitty jar of it cost over $4!  Whereas the big jar of the fake stuff cost a little over $1 (store brand....well at least the store brand had 5% maple syrup in it...the name brands were nothing but HFCS!).  I really had no choice in this matter....just can't afford that much!  It's so frustrating that MOST healthy choices are soooo expensive!  Not really a point or a question in this post....just a vent, really....  :-[    Well, to keep in line with the topic, if you must get pancake syrup, get the store brand...at least 5% of it is really maple syrup!
Save $5 on your first order at www.iHerb.com!  Use referral code HIC104.

www.campaignforliberty.com

Offline queentea

• Adept
Pancake Syrup
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2008, 05:43:53 AM »

Another thought I have is this:  I go through the grocery store and see that the sugar sweetened cereal is SO cheap, much cheaper than the healthier kinds and in my mind I think that is Satan.  He wants us to be unhealthy.   He practically hands us the junk food, cereal, pop....whatever.   And, the junk is easier as well.  I can open a bag of chips in an instant.  Making a healthy salad takes a little more time. 

Yeah, WHY is healthy stuff always more expensive?  It makes it hard to be good stewards of your health & money at the same time! 

Another example of the above....this weekend, I was buying pancake syrup (because I had planned on making pancakes, etc as a meal)...and really, really wanted the real maple syrup...but a little bitty jar of it cost over $4!  Whereas the big jar of the fake stuff cost a little over $1 (store brand....well at least the store brand had 5% maple syrup in it...the name brands were nothing but HFCS!).  I really had no choice in this matter....just can't afford that much!  It's so frustrating that MOST healthy choices are soooo expensive!  Not really a point or a question in this post....just a vent, really....  :-[    Well, to keep in line with the topic, if you must get pancake syrup, get the store brand...at least 5% of it is really maple syrup!

We have been on a tight budget lately and I haven't bought real maple syrup in a long time.  What I do instead, is let them sprinkle powdered sugar on their pancakes, waffles, or french toast.  Another thing I do is to take some of the strawberries that I froze and throw them in a pan with some sugar and they use that as syrup and LOVE it.  Sure, the sugar is not the greatest, but it beats that fake syrup in the store!!  I also like my pancakes with peanut butter or jam.

Offline Pennie

• Master
Pancake Syrup
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2008, 06:08:08 AM »
We always buy the real b/c my husband likes that best.  I like the fake stuff, that is what we grew up w/.  This might sound gross but when we were in Brazil my mother ususally used maple flavoring in corn syrup, that's not the "gross" part. I think I remember a time though when she just put the flavoring in water.  I might be wrong it may have been something else but it sure was thin.  Sometimes if we are low in the real I do take the frozen fruit we buy and heat it and mash it and put in the the RMS to make it go farther.  You could always do that and it would really stretch it.  The other night we had to shop b/f supper so we wanted something fast and easy.  We bought 3 boxes of velveeta mac n cheese and two hilshire kielbasa sausage things and fed our family of seven for under 10 bucks.  Well, I didn't eat....so 6, but still cheap.  We RARELY eat that way but my husband was noticing that.  To try and make it healthier I mushed up some frozen bananas and strawberries in my juicer and then added whole frozen blueberries and sprinkled it w/ flaxseed.  It was really quite good and it didn't take much for it to hit that "sweet spot" and satisfy.  You would think it would be cheaper to buy healthy food.  Maybe it is in the long run?  Probly so.

Offline Whiterock

• Jesus Knows Me, This I Love
  • Guru
  • Eph 6:16
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
Pancake Syrup
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2008, 08:47:50 AM »
I know I posted this somewhere before (maybe on 7xSunday).

Anyway, we buy the real maple syrup (cheaper than $4, I think) but I try to make it stretch sometimes by doing things like heating up some no-sugar-added jam or jelly and adding a little water (you can really stretch this by also adding a little of the syrup or some honey). Makes fruit syrup. Whipped cream on top makes it extra special but not necessary.

I've also made chocolate syrup by mixing cocoa powder, honey and water. That's always a big hit, and real cheap.

You could try adding maple flavoring to honey. I haven't tried it but it might work. It would be better for you than HFCS.

Also, you might want to look for pure cane syrup. I know it's not always easy to find, but it should be cheaper than the maple. Cane syrup is what I grew up on and I will always remember it as being THE BEST way to eat a hot biscuit. We would make a little puddle of cane syrup on our plate and, with our fork, mix in some soft butter 'till the syrup looked "creamed", then we'd "sop" (dip or scoop) our biscuit in it. YUM!

There's also sorghum syrup. I don't know how much it costs now (since it is sometimes sold as a health food) but it used to be real cheap when I was little.

WR
« Last Edit: July 30, 2008, 08:52:11 AM by Whiterock »
Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
Pancake Syrup
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2008, 11:32:15 AM »
Cool!  I'm gonna try this!  Thanks :)
Come see me at www.gwens-nest.com
♥ Check out our family favorite recipes, funny kid stories, natural remedies and other creative and fun stuff.

Offline ladyhen

• Master
Pancake Syrup
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2008, 11:42:52 AM »
Here is a link to a really cool blog that posted a mock maple syrup recipe made from potatoes and sugar:

http://www.choosingvoluntarysimplicity.com/mock-maple-syrup-made-from-potatoes/

This sounds like something good to try!  We make our own syrup most of the time to avoid the (cheap) corn syrup kind.  I just boil water and brown sugar to reduce it, cool, and add some maple flavoring or honey.   

My creative children also like to put homemade plain yogurt on their pancakes, etc. and top with jelly, fruit, honey, brown sugar, or chocolate syrup.   Since they're not using corn syrup, I don't mind them using a little junk on their whole grain pancakes with yogurt. 
Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;    Titus 2:13

Offline ladyhen

• Master
Pancake Syrup
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2008, 06:47:15 AM »
gwen and lady hen~ I would love to know how it turns out. I haven't gotten around to trying it yet.

So far, so good.  I boiled the potatoes this morning, doubling the recipe.  I let them boil a bit too long and so added more water to make up the total volume.  The recipe says to let it sit for a few days, so I'll talk the 14 yo into making pancakes or french toast on Sat. or Sunday.
Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;    Titus 2:13

Offline Whiterock

• Guru
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
Pancake Syrup
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2008, 07:29:15 AM »
If you have to eat sugar-free for a while (candida diet), is there a good pancake syrup recipe that uses stevia or something? Or will I have to either settle for a commercial concoction or make everyone do without? And is there a lesser of the evils commercial concoction?

WR
Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!

Offline LKS

• Master
Pancake Syrup
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2008, 02:04:22 PM »
Flying by the seat of my pants here but couldn't you make one? Maybe a stevia/water syrup flavored w/ maple extract? Just  a thought...... I'm sure there is some nasty diabetic substitute out there

Offline skelliott2

• Adept
Pancake Syrup
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2008, 02:30:19 PM »
There is a sugar-free maple syrup out there sweetened with xylitol.  I forget the brand name, but we used it on the yeast diet, and it was pretty good.  We tried making our own with maple flavoring and stevia, but it was just too fake.  So, we started buying the xylitol one.  It was pretty good.  Surprisingly so, actually. 

Offline ladyhen

• Master
Pancake Syrup
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2008, 05:15:18 PM »
gwen and lady hen~ I would love to know how it turns out. I haven't gotten around to trying it yet.

So far, so good.  I boiled the potatoes this morning, doubling the recipe.  I let them boil a bit too long and so added more water to make up the total volume.  The recipe says to let it sit for a few days, so I'll talk the 14 yo into making pancakes or french toast on Sat. or Sunday.

I tasted this a couple of times today and it is yummy!   I mean, it wouldn't exactly pass for maple syrup, but it's better than the sugar syrup that I've been making.  It tastes a little like the syrup my mom used to cook the sweet potatoes in.  Can't wait to try it on pancakes or french toast.

Offline kcb

• Adept
Pancake Syrup
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2008, 04:46:26 PM »
If you have to eat sugar-free for a while (candida diet), is there a good pancake syrup recipe that uses stevia or something? Or will I have to either settle for a commercial concoction or make everyone do without? And is there a lesser of the evils commercial concoction?

WR

Our family loves a home-made "cinnamon butter" on pancakes.  At first it was just my attempt to cut back on too much syrup, but now everyone actually prefers it.  I haven't tried a sugar-free version, but maybe this could be a start. . . .

Here's my "recipe":  (everything is VERY approximate)
half a stick of butter (1/4 cup), melted
heaping spoonful of cinnamon (about a tablespoon)
honey, to sweeten (maybe 2 to 4 tablespoons)
real maple syrup for taste (maybe 1 to 2 tablespoons)
(serves 4 to 6)

yum!   :D   :D   :D

Offline Whiterock

• Guru
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
Pancake Syrup
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2008, 05:05:09 PM »

WR

Our family loves a home-made "cinnamon butter" on pancakes.  At first it was just my attempt to cut back on too much syrup, but now everyone actually prefers it.  I haven't tried a sugar-free version, but maybe this could be a start. . . .

Here's my "recipe":  (everything is VERY approximate)
half a stick of butter (1/4 cup), melted
heaping spoonful of cinnamon (about a tablespoon)
honey, to sweeten (maybe 2 to 4 tablespoons)
real maple syrup for taste (maybe 1 to 2 tablespoons)
(serves 4 to 6)

yum!   :D   :D   :D

What a good idea!

Thanks,
WR
« Last Edit: August 02, 2008, 10:40:35 AM by Whiterock »
Who Needs God?

Offline Mama Sita

• Adept
Re: Pancake Syrup
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2008, 04:57:20 AM »
Apparently, I have just made a huge batch of pancake syrup. It was supposed to be beet/cherry jelly, but it didn't 'set', so here we are with a bunch of jars of pancake syrup. Yum!

If anyone wants my recipe, you can pm me. That is, if you want to make pancake syrup, not jelly ;D.
"No one stands as tall as a Christian on his knees."
Get $5 off your first iHerb.com order: Code ISA141

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2008, 06:58:54 AM »
I made a batch of the syrup accoring to these directions:
http://www.choosingvoluntarysimplicity.com/mock-maple-syrup-made-from-potatoes/

It was a fun experiment!  We had the taste test this morning.  It was a little over 2 days old.  My hubby is a syrup conniseur.  He loves LOVES sweets, and prefers to eat plain raw honey on pancakes. 

Here is his review: Hubby detected a distinct molasses flavor in the finished syrup, though it was more complex than molasses.  I didn't tell him the 'secret ingredient' at first :) (Potato water), and he couldn't guess it from the taste.  We blended the syrup 1/2 and 1/2 with raw wildflower honey, and he loved it.  He also sampled some Farmer's brand Bisciut 'Lasses cane syrup (avaliable in the 'South'...very similar to molasses, but thinner).  He said this had more of a carmely-molasses flavor that he also liked.

I am going to play around with the recipe.  The potatoes add a natural thickener, and some nice mellow untertone flavors.  I used regular light brown sugar, but I think the flavor was too strong using equal parts brown and white.  The recipe, followed as written, yields about 1.5 cups of finished syrup, which (embarrassingly enough) only fed our famly of four for one meal. :)

-Gwen
♥ Check out our family favorite recipes, funny kid stories, natural remedies and other creative and fun stuff.

Offline Whiterock

• Guru
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2008, 10:56:22 AM »
He also sampled some Farmer's brand Bisciut 'Lasses cane syrup (avaliable in the 'South'...very similar to molasses, but thinner).  He said this had more of a carmely-molasses flavor that he also liked.

Pure cane syrup is also has all the same nutrients as black strap molasses (only not as consentrated, of course) but it is much less "bitter".
« Last Edit: August 03, 2008, 02:55:49 PM by Whiterock »
Who Needs God?

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2008, 04:39:43 PM »
This is so awesome!!! 

For years, I have associated healthy food with the few 'health nut' Moms that I know that make their kids gag down wheat grass juice.  I totally was afraid of those types, as I believe food should actually taste good. :)

I've been learning more (recently) about using whole and natural foods, and gleaned so much from this site.  In the last few months, I've replaced most of our favorites with healthy versions...and they taste better than the stuff we were using!  I'm saving money by making my own foods from scratch.  Even though the healthy stuff is a little more expensive, a little goes a long way and you feel full and satisfied.  Hubby and I have both lost weight eating healthy, way yummy foods, and we haven't even been trying to.

So now, another step in the right direction...we will start using the cane syrup.  Thanks for the info WR!

Offline BJ_BOBBI_JO

• Guru
  • I SEE YOU
    • BJ_BOBBI_JO blog
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2008, 10:16:00 AM »
Because my parents had so many kids we all had to grow up poor. So often times we could not even buy pancake syrup. Back then there was no dollar stores in this area to get cheap syrup from. So my mom made a thin watery syrup out of water and brown sugar.

Brown sugar syrup
Just mix up some brown sugar and water until you think it looks and taste good and heat it up and use on the pancakes and french toast.

*** 1 cup brown sugar per 2 cups of water is one ratio you can use. ***
Just mess around with it and taste it. I really isnt that bad when you have nothing else. The mixture must be brown not a watery thin tan color.

Yes it is thin but you could try using a thickener on it. It at least does the trick and is better then eating plain dry pancakes.

Offline floydian

• Master
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2008, 11:44:44 AM »
You can also take a jar of all fruit, (Polaner is the name brand, but usually the store brand is cheaper) add a little OJ and blend.  Makes awesome syrup.  It's under $2.
And as He stands in victory,
Sin's curse has lost its grip on me;
For I am His and He is mine—
Bought with the precious blood of Christ.

burlsgirl

« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2008, 01:21:35 PM »
You can also take a jar of all fruit, (Polaner is the name brand, but usually the store brand is cheaper) add a little OJ and blend.  Makes awesome syrup.  It's under $2.

Yep. We take the All Fruit, add a teeny bit of Maple Syrup or Honey, heat on the stove, and YUM! I've also just taken a handful of blueberries, mashed them up in a sauce pan, added a smidge of Maple Syrup or honey, maybe a touch of water if needed, then heated it just a bit to make blueberry syrup. SO good!