Author Topic: Perineum rinse ingredients  (Read 5884 times)

Offline HOMEFree

• Adept
    • Spark This Marriage - Christian marriage & romance boutique
Perineum rinse ingredients
« on: July 30, 2008, 10:31:27 AM »

With my last birth our midwife suggested I buy certain herbs and make a tea out of it to put in a squirt bottle and rinse the perineal area off regularly and after each trip to bathroom. The herbs soaked in the boiling water 15 minutes before straining.
The comfrey, I believe, is supposed to be extremely healing. Especially good for tears or hairline tears.
My husband or I would make enough for a couple days and store in a airtight container that I would use to refill my squirt bottle.

To buy:
2 c. calendula flowers
2 c. uva ursi leaf
2 c. thyme leaves
2 c. comfrey leaf

These are all dried herb measurements.
Just add equal parts of each of these to the boiling water. Steep 15 minutes and strain. Let cool before using.

Anyone else have recipes or something?

Offline petrimama

• Master
    • My blog...
Re: Perineum rinse ingredients
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2008, 05:25:18 AM »
I think there's already a thread with some recipes.  I vaguely remember posting my own a couple of years ago.  ~L

Offline fairflowers

• Learning
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2008, 05:32:04 PM »
Just some other herbs you might consider using/substituting:

Rosemary--antibacterial
Lavender--soothing, smells nice

Adding a little sea salt might be good, too.

Offline brigonia

• Adept
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2008, 06:38:14 AM »
I like to use essential oils.  I've never tried making an herbal rinse.  I think it would be too much for me to do postpartum.  I use tea tree oil and lavendar oil.  I keep two peri bottles full of warm water with a few drops of oil in each.  If I need to I will wrap them in a towel to keep them warm for the next bathroom visit.  That way I always have one ready.  I alternate the oils.

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2008, 07:58:40 AM »
You could make a larger batch of concentrated herbal tea and keep it in the fridge for re-fills.  Just add in your oils and warm water.
Come see me at www.gwens-nest.com
♥ Check out our family favorite recipes, funny kid stories, natural remedies and other creative and fun stuff.

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2008, 09:05:10 AM »
You could make a larger batch of concentrated herbal tea and keep it in the fridge for re-fills.  Just add in your oils and warm water.
I do this or have it done for me in early labor. I put all the herbs in a old, clean nylon stocking before hand and drop that in the pot of boiling water. I keep the stocking of herbs in the fridge as well and make a second batch if necessary.
Here's the link to the ingredient list I've used.
http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,3807.msg46079.html#msg46079
and petrimama's recipe here
http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,7090.msg79580.html#msg79580

YoopreMama

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2011, 12:39:31 AM »
BUMP.