Author Topic: Help....the nutritional properties of Carob, please?  (Read 8805 times)

Offline kainosode

• Wide Eyed
    • Future Christian Homemakers
Help....the nutritional properties of Carob, please?
« on: July 29, 2008, 03:59:35 PM »
My mom and I really love carob, especially in ricotta cheese with peanut butter, vanilla and stevia.
But we are wondering what exactly are the nutritional properties of carob are.
Any help here would be great!

Thank you!

~Hannah
I waited patiently for the Lord; and he inclined unto me and heard my cry. He brought me up out of an horrible pit, out of the miry clay, and set my feet upon the rock and established my goings.
And he hath put a new song in my mouth, even praise to our God...
Psalm 40:1-3

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
Re: Help....the nutritional properties of Carob, please?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2008, 09:15:08 AM »
Carob Flour 1 cup contains:

185 calories
1 gram fat
trace amounts saturated fats
0 grams cholesterol
5 grams protein
92 carbs
0 fiber
359 mg calcium
36 mg sodium
852 mg potassium
trace amounts Vit C
30 mcg folic acid
15 IUs Vit A

from The Most Complete Food Counter
by Annette B. Natow, Ph.D., R.D. & Jo-Ann Heslin, M.A., R.D.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2008, 09:22:31 AM »
The Carob tree (from Arabic: خروب "kharūb" and Hebrew: חרוב Charuv), Ceratonia siliqua, is a leguminous evergreen shrub or tree of the family Leguminosae (pulse family) native to the Mediterranean region. It is cultivated for its edible seed pods. Carobs are also known as St. John's bread. According to tradition of some Christians, St. John the Baptist subsisted on them in the wilderness.[1] A similar legend exists of Rabbi Shimon bar Yochai and his son.

A traditional food plant in Africa, this little-known vegetable has potential to improve nutrition, boost food security, foster rural development and support sustainable landcare...

Carob is a member of the legume family, and as such its roots host Rhizobia bacteria which live in symbiosis with the tree and convert atmospheric nitrogen into nitrates which can be used by plants to make proteins...

Carob pods were the most important source of sugar before sugarcane and sugar beets became widely available. Nowadays, the seeds are processed for the use in cosmetics, curing tobacco, and making paper...

Carob powder and carob chips are used as an ingredient in cakes and cookies. Carob is sometimes used as a substitute for chocolate. However, there is a significant difference in flavour. Carob is better suited to accompany fruit cooking (e.g. Apple and Carob cake) as it is milder and isn't as bitter as chocolate. The seeds, also known as locust beans, are used as animal feed. They are also the source of locust bean gum, a thickening agent used in making gelato. In Egypt, carobs are consumed as a snack. Crushed pods are used to make a refreshing drink. Compotes and liqueurs are made from carob in Portugal, Spain and Sicily. Carob has proven effective in relieving diarrhea in infants...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carob
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline kainosode

• Wide Eyed
    • Future Christian Homemakers
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2008, 05:23:52 PM »
Thank you so much! Now I can eat the lovely stuff with a clear conscience!   yummy!
I waited patiently for the Lord; and he inclined unto me and heard my cry. He brought me up out of an horrible pit, out of the miry clay, and set my feet upon the rock and established my goings.
And he hath put a new song in my mouth, even praise to our God...
Psalm 40:1-3

Offline beppyjo

• Adept
    • My Blog
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2009, 11:45:17 AM »
Ok, not sure if this is the right place to post this but I couldn't find a spot where it fit better.......... I just ordered a lb of carob powder. I ended up buying the raw and, AFTER I ordered it, stumbled upon a little info about it in NT. It states that RAW carob has tannins that interfere with protein absorption but buying carob that has been roasted before grinding neutralizes the tannins (my paraphrase here).......... Does anyone know if you can roast the powder and still neutralize the tannins or am I just our of luck? TIA!

Offline beppyjo

• Adept
    • My Blog
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2009, 06:44:52 AM »
Bumping this to the top in hopes that someone can help me!  :)

Ok, not sure if this is the right place to post this but I couldn't find a spot where it fit better.......... I just ordered a lb of carob powder. I ended up buying the raw and, AFTER I ordered it, stumbled upon a little info about it in NT. It states that RAW carob has tannins that interfere with protein absorption but buying carob that has been roasted before grinding neutralizes the tannins (my paraphrase here).......... Does anyone know if you can roast the powder and still neutralize the tannins or am I just our of luck? TIA!

Offline beppyjo

• Adept
    • My Blog
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2009, 07:39:36 AM »
AWW! Come on, can't anybody out there help me? I am desperate!!!   ;)

Bumping this to the top in hopes that someone can help me!  :)

Offline WellTellMommy

• Adept
  • Ft. Banchee
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2009, 10:57:02 AM »
Try a small amount on a flat sheet at a low temp,stirring regularly, if it works you can do the rest, if not maybe you could sell it.
 I don't see why you couldn't do it your self as long as it didn't burn I would not see how roasting it after grinding would be any different than before it just might not have the same amount of oils, making it drier, maybe burn faster if your not carefull.
DD 5yo---Mom, I think we should take a camera with us when we go to Heaven, it'll be so beautiful up there.

Sherri