Author Topic: Aloe Vera Plant: Growing, General Care & Uses  (Read 28063 times)

Offline naelund

• Adept
Re: Aloe Vera Plant: Growing, General Care & Uses
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2007, 08:36:51 AM »
I'm definitely going to try that. Do I have to put anything in it to preserve it or just put it in the fridge. Do you know how long it lasts in the fridge? Thanks!

Offline blessedmommy

• Learning
« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2007, 05:05:26 AM »
i have never used any kind of preservative, i usually put mine straight away into my wipe recipe. and that usually sits in my fridge for up to a month. maybe sombody else has a better idea, or maybe you could google fresh aloe juice
blessings

Offline Pennie

• Master
« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2007, 07:09:54 AM »
K, my plants do seem to be greening up again, but I did break off the brown leaves.  Will those leaves grow again or will only new ones grow? 

Offline Gigi

• Master
« Reply #33 on: August 09, 2007, 07:32:46 AM »
Did you break them all the way down to the dirt?  If so, I think they will not grow anymore, just new ones from the center will push up.  If you just broke off the ends, the "tip" will not regrow, but the leaf will continue to thrive and get longer from the base.

Does that make sense?

Offline Pennie

• Master
« Reply #34 on: August 09, 2007, 07:37:44 AM »
yes, pretty close to it.  That does make sense.  Thanks  :)

Offline joyful_mommy_03

• Adept
« Reply #35 on: November 01, 2007, 05:46:20 AM »
I was wondering if anyone has any preservative ideas for aloe other than running it through a juicer as stated above.  I've recently moved to Florida from Wisconsin and I happen to have 5 wonderfully thriving aloe plants in the backyard!!!  I'd like to harvest some but I'm not sure how to keep it so it stays usable for the longest period.  I don't have a juicer - but how long would the juice stay good in the frig? 

Thanks much!

Offline joyful_mommy_03

• Adept
« Reply #36 on: November 01, 2007, 04:33:39 PM »
 ;)   BUMP!!   ;)

Offline Mrs. B

• Master
« Reply #37 on: November 01, 2007, 04:39:10 PM »
I was wondering if anyone has any preservative ideas for aloe other than running it through a juicer as stated above.  I've recently moved to Florida from Wisconsin and I happen to have 5 wonderfully thriving aloe plants in the backyard!!!  I'd like to harvest some but I'm not sure how to keep it so it stays usable for the longest period.  I don't have a juicer - but how long would the juice stay good in the frig? 

Thanks much!
I ran across this in a soap making recipe.  They recommend taking the entire stalk of aloe and putting it in the blender or food processor and then freezing it.  I do think that they added some water to it as it was a soap ingredient, but I thought that this might translate across.  I have no idea how long you could keep it frozen.
I'm curious, though, why don't you just let it continue to grow in your yard?  I would much rather use aloe fresh than preserved if possible.   It should be okay all year round I would think, but if it gets too cold just throw a sheet over it for the night...

Offline joyful_mommy_03

• Adept
« Reply #38 on: November 02, 2007, 03:41:55 AM »
I guess we were looking at it and thinking that the leaves were looking a little heavy and maybe like they should be picked off.  I was also thinking that it might be better for the whole plant if it was "pruned" a little.  But, I'm not sure if that applies to aloe plants the way it does to other plants.  Thanks so much for the help!!

Offline jaemom

• Adept
« Reply #39 on: December 29, 2007, 02:02:51 PM »
I am looking into giving my mom Aloe vera for the scarring in her lungs.  I have read several places that you shouldn't drink the juice if you are taking steroids because it could cause a potassium deficiency.  Has anyone else heard of this?  My mom is taking prednisone. 
Wife to J (10 yrs)
Mom to B (9), G (7), G (2), and B (1)

Offline Julia

• Master
« Reply #40 on: May 09, 2008, 02:33:20 PM »
Has anyone ever had aloe vera stain fabrics? How do you get it out? I googled it and I don't think anyone in the world has ever had an aloe vera stain. Many sites talk about using it to remove stains. It's actually my bedspread which is stained, I had an aloe plant in the bedroom, and the kids pulled off a leaf for some sort of injury they had, and managed to pull the whole plant down, and the leaves broke on the bedspread and the juice eventually turned the bedspread red. Weird, huh? I've tried soap, Shout, and peroxide.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2008, 02:20:24 AM by JuliaofSunnyside »

Offline amy3js

• Master
« Reply #41 on: May 09, 2008, 07:19:30 PM »

Thanks much!

I take any leaves that break off and stick them in the freezer. Then when I need a piece I just snap it off the frozen leaf and hold it in my hand till it is soft again, takes about 5-10 min. Works like a charm.
You get what you get, what matters is what you do with it.

Offline daisey

• Master
  • Be Still my soul, the Lord is on Thy Side
« Reply #42 on: May 10, 2008, 05:55:45 AM »
Has anyone ever had aloe vera stain fabrics? How do you get it out? I googled it and I don't think anyone in the world has ever had an aloe vera stain. Many sites talk about using it to remove stains. It's actually my bedspread which is stained, I had an aloe plant in the bedroom, and the kids pulled off a leaf for some sort of injury they had, and managed to pull the whole plant down, and the leaves broke on the bedspread and the juice eventually turned the bedspread red. Weird, huh? I've tried soap, Shout, and peroxide.
I have had it stain but it was on an old sock that I had used to hold the Aloe on a burn and I didn't even try get it out.   I think it has faded with each washing though.    I wonder if lemon juice would work.  Just a thought.
Be Still my soul, the Lord is on Thy Side

Offline SarahK

• Master
« Reply #43 on: June 05, 2008, 04:35:04 PM »
I have some info about Aloe when taken internally in Shonda Parker's Home Study Course.  The following is not a quote, but my paraphrase:

Aloe, dried latex of the leaves. Do not confuse Aloe with the aloe gel, a mucilage from the inner leaf.  Safety issues:  Contraindicated for pregnancy, children under 12 years of age and in persons with intestinal obstruction and several other inflammatory intestinal conditions.

OK, end paraphrase.
That said, ...
 (1) I have no info stating the why of the 'not in pregnancy/under age 12' contraindication.  I suspect that it's related to nutritional absorbtion issues, but that's just my guess.
(2) This is talking about just the outer leaf tissue - not the gel.

Just a FYI, I guess.
Sarah K
I have learned enough to know I still have lots to learn.  Teach me.
My WTM Intro updated 9/2010

Offline bizymum

• Adept
« Reply #44 on: June 05, 2008, 04:43:41 PM »

Based on jaemom's previous post, I wonder if it has to do with the possibility of potassium deficiency?
« Last Edit: June 05, 2008, 04:45:14 PM by bizymum »

Offline alaska girl

• Learning
« Reply #45 on: June 28, 2008, 04:49:16 PM »
Does anyone know if you can mail runners or any part of the plant without it dying?

Offline ladyhen

• Master
« Reply #46 on: June 29, 2008, 06:47:20 AM »
Does anyone know if you can mail runners or any part of the plant without it dying?

I don't know about aloe vera specifically, but I have mailed mint rootstock all over the country and received plants from a friend on the other side of the country.  I don't know why this wouldn't work with aloe vera. 
I generally wrap the rootstock in a wet rag or paper towel and then put it in a ziploc baggie.  Then I send it by Priority US mail so it arrives in a day or two.  Haven't had any problems.  When asked what is in the envelope I usually respond that it is spices. 
Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;    Titus 2:13

Offline alaska girl

• Learning
« Reply #47 on: June 29, 2008, 02:04:03 PM »
Thanks.  I haven't been able to find any up here in Alaska so I was going to get my Aunt or someone in the lower 48 to mail me one.  If I get one I hope I can get it to grow.  I'm not very good at growing things.  :-[  ;D

Offline girly

• Adept
« Reply #48 on: June 30, 2008, 04:34:16 AM »
What about the health benefits of aloe vera?  Anyone have much information on that?  Thanks :)

Offline naturalgirl

• Adept
  • one insignificant particle, combined
« Reply #49 on: June 30, 2008, 05:21:33 AM »

Offline daisey

• Master
« Reply #50 on: October 30, 2009, 08:56:22 AM »
I didn't know exactly where to put this.......sorry HB.   Move if necessary.

My Aloe Vera Plant is sick...... :'(    I have never had a problem before but right now the leaves are all getting watery!    They can't support themselves and really turn to mush.   Can anyone help before I loose my whole plant?    ???
Thanks

Offline ladyhen

• Master
« Reply #51 on: October 30, 2009, 10:27:29 AM »

My Aloe Vera Plant is sick...... :'(    I have never had a problem before but right now the leaves are all getting watery!    They can't support themselves and really turn to mush.   Can anyone help before I loose my whole plant?    ???
Thanks

Questions!

Is it inside or outside?

Have you changed your normal care of it or it's location? 

Whatever you do, don't water it right now.  They survive quite well with extremely dry soil. 
Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;    Titus 2:13

Offline daisey

• Master
« Reply #52 on: October 30, 2009, 12:31:35 PM »

Thanks

Questions!

Is it inside or outside?

Have you changed your normal care of it or it's location? 

Whatever you do, don't water it right now.  They survive quite well with extremely dry soil. 

It is inside..........snowing out there today.   ;)

I have not changed anything.............That is why I am so confused.
I will quit watering totally for awhile and see if that helps.   
Thanks.

Offline ladyhen

• Master
« Reply #53 on: October 30, 2009, 12:37:58 PM »
It is inside..........snowing out there today.   ;)

I have not changed anything.............That is why I am so confused.
I will quit watering totally for awhile and see if that helps.   
Thanks.

Hmmmm?   Mine have done this occasionally when they have gotten frozen, but the roots survived and the plant came back in time.   Don't really know what else it could be. 
I think it's probably a good idea to let it stay kinda dry for awhile.   I only water mine (in a pot) every two weeks or so. 
That reminds me!!  I had better bring mine inside before we get a freeze!

Offline daisey

• Master
« Reply #54 on: October 30, 2009, 02:55:44 PM »
Now that you mention it...........that is what it reminds me of, being frozen..........but, I don't ever put it outside and it isn't that cold in the house.    Guess I will let it dry out really well before I water it again.   Maybe I should repot it...............new dirt?

Offline Alana

• Wide Eyed
Re: Aloe Vera Plant: Stains
« Reply #55 on: May 28, 2010, 08:54:29 AM »

I was wondering if you were ever able to take the stains out? I have had aloe stains before (I do not understand why this isn't discussed hardly anywhere!) and they are really hard to take out!! Some stains I had some years ago slowly faded after many, many, many washes. But now I have a cotton shirt that is deeply stained and was hoping for some advice if anyone has any.

Offline momof6boys

• Adept
« Reply #56 on: May 28, 2010, 01:35:19 PM »
This isn't a natural remedy, but I have had some success with ammonia.  I had a huge aloe plant which I recently had to give away and it would leave yellow stains from the bigger leaves and purple stains from the jelly stuff inside.  I spray some ammonia on each stain and it lightens them up some if it doesn't take them out completely.