Author Topic: Aloe Vera Plant: Growing, General Care & Uses  (Read 28065 times)

Offline Maria/NHM

• Adept
    • My Blog
Aloe Vera Plant: Growing, General Care & Uses
« on: May 23, 2006, 07:27:57 AM »
Does anyone have any advice on growing an aloe plant? my last one just never seemed to grow any bigger. It did start baby plants around it. My husband just bought me a fairly big one at a garage sale and I'd love for it to grow much bigger. I'm in Wyoming and wondered if it might do well spending the summer outside ???

« Last Edit: March 29, 2008, 11:36:38 AM by Ella »
My Blog
http://naturallyhealthymommy.blogspot.com/
Learning and sharing about nutrition and herbs
My user name used to be Ella :)

Offline Hope64

• Learning
Re: Aloe Vera Plant: Growing, General Care & Uses
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2006, 10:00:43 AM »
I have a fairly large one also.  From what I have read the biggest mistake people make is watering it too much.  I think that they don't like an overabundance of water.  That's all the advice I have.  I just got mine a few weeks ago.  And it's still alive.  Grin!

Hope64

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2006, 08:22:18 PM »
I'm not sure, but I think Aloe's like lots of room.  I think if they become root-bound they make babies and if they have room to spread they get bigger.  (or it might be the other way around - I can't seem to find any evidence to prove either theory).
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline ALittleMore

• Adept
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2006, 12:00:57 PM »
I've never tried to grow it because it grows all over here. I do know that they are very sensitive to frosts, they need warm climate, lots of sun. During the winter you should water it very little (even though it won't look as nice) and during the summer keep the soil moist. it needs lots of space if it's going to grow well. Flower fertilizers are supposed to work for aloe, too. Maybe this will help some.  :)

Dewbear

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2006, 12:20:27 PM »
Hope is correct -- the biggest mistake is too much water.  I water mine probably once a month, if not even less than that!  It's a "whenever I get around to it" idea.  My Mom is the queen of plant-growing, & aloes LOVE her.  SHe has one in a pot that I could literally curl up & sleep in.  That thing grew a huge pointed stalk with a strange, aspargus-like top last year.  The nursery person she asked told her he'd heard of that happening every once in a blue moon & that her plant was just very, very happy.  If you have any specific questions, I know she'd be happy to answer, & I'd email her for you!

Offline KatieMac

• Master
  • Alice Magdalene
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2006, 12:40:35 PM »
I put mine outside in the bright sun and watered it and it started looking terrible! Really droopy! I also just killed my african violet (didn't read up on it...assumed african = lots of sun. Whoops!) I took my aloe back inside and I'm hoping to revive it. Not sure what I did.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2006, 02:35:47 PM »
I put mine outside in the bright sun and watered it and it started looking terrible! Really droopy! I also just killed my african violet (didn't read up on it...assumed african = lots of sun. Whoops!) I took my aloe back inside and I'm hoping to revive it. Not sure what I did.

I do know they are resilliant and can be brought back to life.  I did this too.  I left it outside to die because I was tired of it and it came back to life.  Crazy.  I just don't have the desire to care for plants otherwise, we'd probably have a house full.  Too much work.  HAHA  ::)
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Julie G

• Adept
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2006, 04:48:28 PM »

Do you live in a warm climate?  I live in TX and my aloe plants are outside...I water them maybe once a week...it's been 90 - 100 degrees lately and mine are doing great, they are in indirect sunlight.

When I first transplanted them they looked really sad...but perked up about a week or two later....HTH
« Last Edit: June 12, 2006, 06:15:58 PM by healthybratt »
Ellie:  (when she was 3 years old)  "Mama, you sure got a big butt to sit with!"

Offline kittyninja

• KITTYNINJA
  • Master
    • blogger
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2006, 01:50:28 PM »
Just wanted to say that here in Az in my backyard they kept growing without my help AND out in the direct sunlight!! and they all would get that long stalk with the asparaus looking top on them and  the top would turn red and open up and the hummingbirds loved them!  ;D
AWWW i miss em-got mad at them awhile back and ripped them all out and never got any back! :-[
Hope is correct -- the biggest mistake is too much water.  I water mine probably once a month, if not even less than that!  It's a "whenever I get around to it" idea.  My Mom is the queen of plant-growing, & aloes LOVE her.  SHe has one in a pot that I could literally curl up & sleep in.  That thing grew a huge pointed stalk with a strange, aspargus-like top last year.  The nursery person she asked told her he'd heard of that happening every once in a blue moon & that her plant was just very, very happy.  If you have any specific questions, I know she'd be happy to answer, & I'd email her for you!

Offline KatieMac

• Master
  • Alice Magdalene
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2006, 01:56:28 PM »
Mine came back to life when I brought it inside...that's all I know. And in other related news, I just killed my Venus Flytrap  >:(

Offline kittyninja

• KITTYNINJA
  • Master
    • blogger
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2006, 01:59:45 PM »
My son keeps butchering his everytime he takes that top off it and closes it! ;D  I kill my husbands bamboo! they are always in the way and so darn top heavy! I always drop them!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2006, 02:09:40 PM »
And in other related news, I just killed my Venus Flytrap  >:(

we bought one and killed it within two weeks.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Hope64

• Learning
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2006, 11:21:09 AM »
I need to re-pot my aloe plant.  Any special tips on how to do this?  I use the leaves all the time and don't want to kill it while trying to give it room to spread out. 

Thanks!

Hope64

Offline DawnsEarlyBirds

• Adept
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2006, 02:22:14 PM »
My husband had a nasty sunburn earlier this summer and I bought a large aloe "leaf" in the produce dept. at our local grocery store, put it on for several days, and he was fine.  SInce then I bought a aloe plant and when he had another burn this week pulled a leaf to use again.  However, this one smelled like chicken bouilion -?!?!?!?  Anyone have any info on this for me?  Was it bad?  It looked fine, was nice and juicy.  I felt like I was sleeping with a bowl of soup.

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2006, 02:38:18 PM »
I have encountered weird smellings from my aloe's as well.  I can't remember likening it to chicken soup.  I think that would be a more pleasant smell than the smell I remember.  More like chicken manure. :P  It does have an off smell.  I think it is that yellow goo that is supposed to be drained.  But we don't do that.  Too impatient.  It works like a charm for burns though, doesn't it?

Offline carolinachic

• Adept
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2006, 10:45:07 AM »
HELP!!! My daughter just burned herself on the iron. The skin is burned off and I need to know about the Aloe Vera plant working on it. Do i squeeze the juice and apply or put the leaf on the burn. thanks so much!
I love my kids! Austin 9, Avery 8, Haleigh 6, and Genevieve 4!!!

Offline Julia

• Master
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2006, 05:48:22 PM »
I know this is old but there is a No Greater Joy article on how to treat burns with aloe vera.

My question is:  how do you reproduce aloes? Aren't you supposed to be able to break off a leaf and stick it in some soil and it will grow? Mine always rot when I try. I had a jade that would always rot when I tried this, too. I am always killing my plants!

Offline carolinachic

• Adept
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2006, 05:58:11 PM »
They grow best in a sunlit window and VERY little water. They will rot if their is too much moisture. Mine have grown best completely left alone...I maybe put some water on it once a month.
I love my kids! Austin 9, Avery 8, Haleigh 6, and Genevieve 4!!!

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2006, 06:37:35 PM »
I know this is old but there is a No Greater Joy article on how to treat burns with aloe vera.

My question is:  how do you reproduce aloes? Aren't you supposed to be able to break off a leaf and stick it in some soil and it will grow? Mine always rot when I try. I had a jade that would always rot when I tried this, too. I am always killing my plants!

Aloes make their own babies, so apparently they spread by root runners. The babies grow alongside the parent plant & when they are large enough to have a good root system you can dig them up & re-pot. My grandmother put 1 aloe in her planter box in her yard (in so. CA- they cannot freeze) & it grew dozens of babies over several years. One baby that was planted in someone else's yard grew to be over 6 ft. across. I don't know about planting a piece of the leaf, that works for some plants but not all. I do know that for some plants that can be started that way, dipping the cut edge into rooting hormone helps & some plants have to be left out before planting so the cut edge can dry out & "callous"- I don't know if either of these methods would work with aloe. When you water aloe, make sure to water the soil, do not get water between the layers of leaves, it will cause the leaves to rot. Voice of experience. ::) HTH

I'm horrible about killing my plants too. :( It's an ongoing family joke. :D I did manage to keep an African Violet going for a few months, & it was doing real well,  ;D ;D but while I was out of town for a month, my son forgot to water it, :( cooked it in a south window during 80 degree days :o & drowned it :P not all at the same time of course. ;) And if that wasn't enough, the cats knocked it over at least twice! >:( Needless to say, it croaked. :P :P :P  :'( :'( :'( Maybe we should start a purple thumb club. ::) Blessings ~herbalmom
« Last Edit: December 29, 2006, 08:10:33 PM by herbalmom »

Offline blessedmommy

• Learning
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2006, 06:41:52 PM »
i dont know if anyone has already posted this, however i run aloe through my juicer to make homemade baby wipes... they smell so good!!! i will attach the recipe if anyone wants it
blessings
katie :)

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2006, 06:59:50 PM »
i dont know if anyone has already posted this, however i run aloe through my juicer to make homemade baby wipes... they smell so good!!! i will attach the recipe if anyone wants it
blessings
katie :)

I would like it. Thanks. Blessings ~herbalmom

Offline blessedmommy

• Learning
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2006, 05:31:31 AM »
this is the recipe:

1/2 c. aloe vera juice ( i just run mine skin and all through the juicer... i tried some other ways with no success)
15 drops of grapefruit seed extract
5 drops grapefruit essential oil ( or any flavor)
enough boiling water to fill a pitcher ( i think that min is 2 qt )

2 or 3 receiving blankets you hate ( or any soft material)
1 thermos ( i still cant find one... so i have just been using a pitcher and Tupperware)

1. cut the blanket or whatever material into wipes... mine are about the size of a piece of toast

2. pour all the liquids together

3. wait for the dirty diaper and then grab a square and wet with solution... wipe away

4. they was well in the washer with the powdered laundry soap i posted some time ago.... between washes i just throw them in a bucket with the cloth diapers.

hope this works well for yall too!!! i am going to try putting the solution in a spray bottle for keeping in my diaper bag... we'll see how that works  ;D

Offline Julia

• Master
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2006, 09:51:42 AM »
Wow, you should put that on the homemade wipes thread - I think they were looking for a natural recipe as opposed to the baby wash and mineral oil version.

So maybe if I take my aloe leaf (I already have two lone ones, because the rest of the plant died  :'( :D) and let it heal up so it's calloused, then stick it in slightly moist soil in a sunny spot, that will cause it to grow babies? I've heard of the rooting hormone but I'm not sure exactly what it is or if it's natural (I use the aloe pretty often on our skin).

Offline Pennie

• Master
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2007, 05:40:54 AM »
My neighbor gave me a whole bunch of aloe plants.  She had them for a year and didn't feel like planting them so she gave them to me.  She said they had been on top of her fridge and she just got them wet every now and then. she said I needed to buy pete moss.  Well, I didn't plant them right away but I did get them wet well, b/f I planted them they started to turn brown. :(  I didn't find any pete moss so I bought some cactus soil and I planted them.  they are still brown.  Is it b/c of too much water?  I have them on my front porch which gets some pretty direct sun. What to do? I REALLY don't want to kill them off.  They work so much better than aloe in  a bottle  Can anyone help me?   She said it would be better to water them from the bottom so I bought a plantar thing for that.  The soil is very dry but I am afraid I gave them too much water and that is why they are brown. Shoudl I cut the leaves off and start over with the root?  what what? help help.  :)

Offline blessedmommy

• Learning
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2007, 06:37:33 AM »
i'm not sure... i use mine too much for it to sustain our family so i started buying these huge aloe spears in the produce dept at our store. they are longer than my arm from finger tip to elbo... and only 1.29 or so!!!

i would think if you cut it back and then leave it it would bounce back. i also have a friend who puts rocks around in the soil. large ones... nearly the size of your fist.

hope your plant bounces back
blessings :)

Offline Whiterock

• Jesus Knows Me, This I Love
  • Guru
  • Eph 6:16
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2007, 07:41:39 AM »
I could be too much sun at once, since they have been inside for so long. Try putting them in indirect sun.
WR
Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!

Offline Pennie

• Master
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2007, 08:12:14 AM »
thank you for you replies.  I did move them to the back and I took the leaves off.  they did seem to be "juicy" and green closer to the stem so maybe they will bounce back.  I am NOT good with plants.  I even killed an ivy once which I had HEARD was almost impossible.   ::) :o

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2007, 02:48:50 PM »
They don't need alot of water, but if you've overwatered them, they'll get yellow/brown and soggy.  If they dry and crumble they need more.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline naelund

• Adept
« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2007, 04:47:20 AM »
Does any one have advice for harvesting the aloe? When One of the big leaves get big and fall off, I put it in the fridge in case we need it. It ends up being in there for months and then goes bad and I have to throw it out. How do I make my own gel or juice?

Offline blessedmommy

• Learning
« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2007, 05:09:58 AM »
i just stick the leaf in the juicer like i would any other fruit. it comes out much like the gell. somtimes i have to run a bit of water behind it just to get it all out. hope that helps
blessings