Author Topic: Hyla vacuum and EOs  (Read 12647 times)

Offline mhoward1999

• Adept
Hyla vacuum and EOs
« on: July 18, 2008, 04:29:54 PM »
I own a Hyla vacuum cleaner. Part of the sales pitch was that this vacuum functions as an "air washer" cleaning the air in your home in the same way God designed rain to cleanse the air outside. I was instructed to run this vacuum for 30 minutes with a special little attachment in the intake (where the hose would attach for floor cleaning) for air purification and allergen reduction. The Hyla company sells fragrance oils you can add to the water for scenting the air in your home. I just use a couple drops of essential oil instead, and it works just fine. I have been wondering, though, if I could take this to a therapeutic level. I have allergies. Mold is my biggest allergen. I am wondering if it would be beneficial to add GSE or some other EO to the water to inhibit mold spores in the air. I do have issues with mildew in the bathroom, and end up using bleach on it about once a month or so. Also, despite my best efforts to keep everything clean, my kombucha grew mold- bigtime! I was very sad.

So... what do you think? Could adding certain antifungal EOs to the water help inhibit mold spores in the air? If so, which ones and why?

Offline HelpmeetPlusHelpers

• Adept
Re: Hyla vacuum and EOs
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2008, 04:41:04 AM »
We have a Hyla also. When we lived in a dry climate, running it often was very helpful for all of us with allergies. It helps add moisture to the air. Now that we live in a very humid place, it is not as helpful. It gets too humid. Perhaps that is your problem as well. You might consider using a dehumidifer instead. I am not sure. I do use EO in our hyla as well as GSE on occasion. It might help and I don't think it could hurt.

Offline mhoward1999

• Adept
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2008, 04:46:42 AM »
Yeah. We live in an extremely humid climate. The humidity in our house is usually 70% WITH running a dehumidifier. At the time I bought the Hyla, I was still using Western Medicine, and my allergist told me that the Hyla shouldn't add a significant amount of moisture to the air, as long as I used cool water in it, and not hot. I sought his advice before buying it. I tend to agree with you, though, that it adds moisture to the air. I do not run it every day, but am thinking about getting back into that habit if it could help with killing mold spores in the air.

Offline HOMEFree

• Adept
    • Spark This Marriage - Christian marriage & romance boutique
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2008, 02:40:59 PM »

We have a vacuum that sounds like the same thing- Big Power.

You can add essential oils to the water like eucalyptus, lavendar, and geranium.

Smells wonderful and cleans the air of germs.