Author Topic: Drinking Water Habits  (Read 5964 times)

Offline his.silly.wife

• Master
  • Psalm 100:5
Drinking Water Habits
« on: August 18, 2006, 12:25:46 PM »
I read in a post about someone not being a natural "drinker."  My husband also struggles with not getting enough water.  He just never learned to drink.  However, I am the total opposite.  I always have a cup out, ready to be refilled with water.  I suspect I learned this from my Mom.    So I believe that "drinking habits" are learned as children.

I have five children.  They all have a special coloured cup, that remains out during the day, on either the counter or table.  That makes my kitchen look slightly cluttered.  But I have them out, so that they can come in at any time, and get a drink.  My husband said that wasn't done in house growing up because everything had to be neat.  He has had health problems due to not drinking enough, along with another sibling who finds it torture to drink more than two glasses of water a day.

I would strongly recommend encouraging your children to drink water during the day and to find a convenient method for them to serve themselves.  A little clutter on the counter from cups could possibly save a lifetime of problems.
Like NoGreaterJoy?  Sign up on fellowshipdirectory.com to meet others like you.

Offline DawnsEarlyBirds

• Adept
Re: Drinking Water Habits
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2006, 02:15:02 PM »
GREAT POST!

My husband may be the one you are referring to.  BUT, he has been forcing himself to do the salt water cure (eating too, not the water/salt only one) and the problem he has (which I believe is sebhorric dermatitis, and is yeast related so we are also starting the yeast assasin and tummy tuneup) is starting to calm down.  He really has to force this and looks tortured each time he starts chugging.  He used to play ice hockey once a week and would come home amazed that the guys coming off the ice would chug down 2 bottles of water and he wasn't even thirsty.  I would always say, "YOU SHOULD be thirsty!" and knew there was something wrong here.  It took 3 months of agony with his eyelids and face swelling to bring him to this point!

Nickole

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2007, 04:31:57 PM »
I think this is a good place to post this.   :)  My sister told me about something she learned at a day spa recently.  They had her drinking cucumber water.  Sliced cucumbers in a pitcher of water.  Let it sit a few minutes and just pour the water (leaving the cucumbers in the pitcher) in a glass.  She said it was SO refreshing, and she has since been making this at home, and it has made her drink more water!  It is a subtle flavor, and she was right - very refreshing!!  I too have begun drinking more water with the cucumber "flavor".  When your water is gone, just fill the pitcher up with water again, using the same cucumbers in the pitcher.  You can do this for days - I think you will know when the cucumbers are ready for the trash, or I guess just eat them!  ;D

I used a whole cucumber, sliced thin, for my pitcher. 

Hope this helps someone!

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2007, 02:41:25 AM »
They had her drinking cucumber water.  Sliced cucumbers in a pitcher of water. 

First, WTM wants us drinking salt water, now, cucumber water?  I don't want to know what is next.  :P
But........knowing a fellow WTM'er, I gotta try it, of course.  ;D

Nickole

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2007, 02:50:24 AM »
They had her drinking cucumber water.  Sliced cucumbers in a pitcher of water. 

First, WTM wants us drinking salt water, now, cucumber water?  I don't want to know what is next.  :P
But........knowing a fellow WTM'er, I gotta try it, of course.  ;D

This is actually TASTY!!!  Seriously.  I don't even like cucumbers.  By themselves, they make me gag.  Not sure why.  On sandwiches or whatever, they are good, but I can't stand them by themselves.   

Offline petrimama

• Master
    • My blog...
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2007, 03:14:24 AM »
So I believe that "drinking habits" are learned as children.

But I have them out, so that they can come in at any time, and get a drink.  My husband said that wasn't done in house growing up because everything had to be neat.

I totally agree that drinking habits are learned in childhood.  My mom was the same way about the neatness and didn't allow drinks left out.  We each had a tall glass after each meal and that was all.  In the summer we were outside all day and she didn't want us tracking dirt into the house to get drinks, so we just waited until lunch time.  I have noticed that I often will not notice that I'm thirsty all day, so I decided to measure ounces to make sure I get enough.  (Before doing this I was only drinking a MAX of 24 oz. daily even while nursing!)
But, I am very confident that my children will not have this problem because I am making it a priority to always have fresh water on hand and I even have a filter with a spout that my 2yo can use by himself.  (My mom can't get over that eyesore on my counter ::).)  Moreover, I am confident that I am going to retrain myself to be a thirsty person.  I am a strong believer that anything that can be conditioned into a person can be conditioned right back out of them!  8)  ~L

Offline keva

• Learning
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2007, 09:00:07 AM »
I can't wait to try the cucumber water.  I never liked water and found it difficult to come close to drinking very much during the day.  Now I add some cranapple juice to my water and I love this.  It is so refreshing and the mild flavor helps me enjoy lots of water, all day long.  I have also found I drink much more from a cup with a straw, than just sipping out of a glass.  Hope this helps someone or inspires them to try adding a little something to the water, because I feel so much better when I drink like I should. 

Offline Leilani

• Adept
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2007, 09:54:58 AM »
my hubby is not a big water drinker either, but I found if I have a glass with ice in it sitting around or cold water bottles in the fridge he drinks a lot more. 
We also squeeze a lemon wedge into our glasses and that is really good and recently we have started adding mint leaves from our mint plant. Very refreshing on a hot day, and I figure it has to be good for you right?
I am going to try the cucumbers too!

Does anyone have any other ideas for herbs to make "flavored" water? I have a little room left in the planter and wanted to grow something we could add to the water.
Leilani married to my Mr Visionary (now that I think about it he is really more of a Command man :D ) for 12 years!
my sweet boys 10, 8,4 and our baby girl is 2

Offline floydian

• Master
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2008, 04:46:36 AM »
Don't know if this goes here, but I'll give it a shot.

Recently I went to a chiropracter who told me I was slightly dehydrated.  I drink a ton of water.  Besides my one cup of coffee (OK maybe two on a rough day), it's all I drink.  I'm never very thirsty.

Things I have noticed since he said this:

There are many times when I drink and the water goes straight through me.  As in ten minutes later I have to go tinkle twice as much as I just drank. :-[
Then there are other times I drink water and I won't have to go for a couple of hours.  It doesn't seem to matter whether or not I've just eaten.  I also drink water with lemon or lime in it. Sometimes it makes a difference whether or not I've got it in there, but not always.

If I am driving a car and drink water, I will ALWAYS have to go.  Every single time.

The only time I really notice being thirsty is in the middle of the night.

I've tried adding a pinch of sea salt into the water to see if that would make a difference.  Didn't notice one.

I drink the reverse osmosis water.

Now, does the fact that I am apparantly not absorbing the water mean that I am a little dehydrated?  Do I really need to drink that much more water?  I drink around 7 (8 oz ) glasses a day.
Oh, and I am still nursing just a little.

Any thoughts?
And as He stands in victory,
Sin's curse has lost its grip on me;
For I am His and He is mine—
Bought with the precious blood of Christ.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2008, 05:02:22 AM »
Something worth exploring, but don't take it for gold.  I've actually been wondering about this for a long time.

http://www.snopes.com/medical/myths/8glasses.asp
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline lotsaboys

• Master
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2008, 12:21:11 PM »
Guess you could always try drinking way less and then go to the chiro and see if he still says you're dehydrated. :-\

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2008, 04:29:38 PM »
I wonder if she might be low on potassium and/or other electrolytes the body needs to hold the water where it belongs.
  My favorite herb book!!