Author Topic: no-nut butter made from peas?  (Read 8114 times)

Offline jenstar

• Adept
no-nut butter made from peas?
« on: July 01, 2008, 06:31:01 PM »
We get a product called No-Nuts "Pea Butter". It tastes pretty good and my kids like it because they can not have nuts. It is made here in Canada, and I do not know if it is available in the USA. It is quite expensive: about 6$ for a pint! Has anyone ever heard of it or how I could make it at home. The web site for it is www.peabutter.ca

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
Re: no-nut butter made from peas?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2008, 06:44:22 PM »
My guess is that it's made from yellow peas. There are recipes for making 'soy nut' butter where you take soybeans soak them, fry or oven roast (coated with oil) them (which makes 'soy nuts') & then grind into 'soy nut' butter. Probably the yellow peas are done the same way except maybe not soaked since yellow peas don't have to be soaked before cooking & soy beans do.

HTH. Blessings ~herbalmom

Offline jenstar

• Adept
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2008, 05:53:20 AM »
My guess is that it's made from yellow peas. There are recipes for making 'soy nut' butter where you take soybeans soak them, fry or oven roast (coated with oil) them (which makes 'soy nuts') & then grind into 'soy nut' butter. Probably the yellow peas are done the same way except maybe not soaked since yellow peas don't have to be soaked before cooking & soy beans do.

HTH. Blessings ~herbalmom

Do you know what I can grind the peas in? I have a Vitamix Blender and a Champion Juicer - probably one of these would work???

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2008, 06:15:59 AM »
I have never used a Champion juicer so I don't know how it would do. I do have a VitaMix & I'm sure that it can do it so that's what I would use.

If you work out a recipe be sure to post it.

Blessings ~herbalmom

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2008, 12:09:41 PM »
Here's an igredient list.  It pretty much supports what herbalmom had to say except it's been sweetened.

http://www.peabutter.ca/Nutrition_Info/nutrition_info.html

I also found this just looking around (it's gluten free)

Peabutter Cookies

Ingredients:

* 1 cup brown sugar
    * 1 cup peabutter
    * 2 eggs
    * 1 1/4 tsp baking soda
    * 1 tsp gluten-free vanilla
    * 3/4 cups raisins (optional)

Using your mixer, blend the peabutter and brown sugar together. Add the eggs, one at a time. Add the baking soda and vanilla and blend until completely mixed. Add the raisins and blend by hand.
Drop cookies onto greased cookie sheets or parchment paper (we used parchment paper).

Bake 8-11 minutes in a preheated oven at 350 degrees.

from http://cookingformara.blogspot.com/2008/02/recipe-peabutter-cookies.html

My favorite herb book!!

Offline jenstar

• Adept
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2008, 06:26:03 PM »
I'm going to try a little batch. I know I tried it once before and it didn't work - however, I didn't soak the peas and I dry roasted them in the oven. The result was YUK! Slime with hard grainy bits of pea ???
I'll let you know if I can get anything to work - the bought stuff is really smooth so there has to be a way.

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2008, 06:54:51 PM »
The link HB provided shows this as the ingredients:

"GOLDEN BROWN PEAS, CANOLA OIL, ICING SUGAR (CONTAINS CORN STARCH), MONOGLYCERIDE FROM VEGETABLE OIL (RAPESEED AND COTTONSEED OILS)"

Some of the smoothness comes from the monoglycerides & sugar so don't expect an exact duplication.

If you soak the peas & you are doing a large amount, put them in a wide container so the weight of the soaking peas doesn't crush the ones on the bottom. CLICK HERE for my post on how NOT to do the soaking.  ;)

If it doesn't work out using soaked peas & then roasting them, try dry peas instead. Since they cook so much quicker than soy beans they may or may not need roasted. HTH Blessings ~herbalmom

Offline jenstar

• Adept
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2008, 06:26:56 AM »

Some of the smoothness comes from the monoglycerides & sugar so don't expect an exact duplication.

What is monoglyceride? I assumed that it was a preservative.

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2008, 06:31:19 AM »
If I remember correctly it helps keep fats from separating out & keeps it 'creamy'.