Author Topic: Vagus Nerve -- How, Where, What, When Why  (Read 97445 times)

Offline lorneyinkorea

• Wide Eyed
Re: Vagus Nerve -- How, Where, What, When Why
« Reply #60 on: April 07, 2013, 12:44:15 AM »
Wow, I just spent the last hour reading this thread. I am so happy to know now why I have been feeling so terrible and glad to know other people have experienced the same thing. I have had and currently have all of the symptoms that people have mentioned here and on other pages. Extreme nausea, extreme neck pain, extreme headache, difficulty swallowing, coughing, mucous buildup in nose and throat, cold hands and feet...The last reply was about 1 month ago. (March 2013) Anyone still on here? Will write more later...

Offline shiba

• Wide Eyed
Re: Vagus Nerve -- How, Where, What, When Why
« Reply #61 on: January 02, 2014, 12:47:56 PM »
I know this is a very old post and it has been dormant for a while, but I wanted to see if there is still anyone following or who could contribute to a few inquiries I have. I have been experiencing similar symptoms to those mentioned previously in this post and was curious about some of the remedies.

My situation is a long one but I'll try to write about it summarily. About 8 months ago I was given PPIs by my GP as a solution to problems I was having with my voice (vocal fatigue, throat pains). I took them for about 6 months during which they did help, but did not seem to solve the problem entirely. After about 6 months I decided to ween myself off of the PPIs, lowering my does to half a pill. Initially, there were no symptom changes, but after about a month and a half on the 1/2 dose my symptoms started coming back. After two months on a half dose I quit completely. The reason I quit was twofold - one, because I knew I was going to lose my insurance shortly, and two, because I wasn't very keen on the idea that this medication severely cut back on stomach acid production. I should have reversed those actually. The health concern was more important than the insurance really.

So this leads me to my current state. The symptoms I was experiencing prior to taking the medications have returned full bore. I am familiar with acid reflux rebound, which I do believe I am experiencing. However, this just seems like a more amplified version of what I was experiencing prior to taking the medication. Now this would seem to point to my doctor's diagnosis (which was made after I gave her a brief description of my symptoms - no tests, etc.) to be correct - officially, LPR. However, after stopping the PPIs I started paying closer attention to my symptoms and I am beginning to question this diagnosis. As I started reading a lot of forums and online journal articles, I began to realize that my symptoms seem to parallel more closely with issues related to vagus nerve problems. Beyond vocal problems, I've also experienced GI problems and occasional shortness of breath, light-headed feeling when standing, and occasional heart palpitation. I have also had a recurrent pinched nerve feeling on the left side of the back of my neck very close to the spine, usually accompanied my muscle tightness in that area, as well as my shoulders and the back of my head. All of these seem to be areas that are at least connected with the vagus nerve. What really made me consider this vagus however, was the fact that after my symptoms returned I realized that all of the symptoms in my throat and head were on the left side. The raw feeling and pain in my throat and nasal passages, the nasal congestion, the sort of congested feeling in my ears, they are all on the left side. And when I think back this was always the case. I have also been getting occasional, very slight tingling on the left side of my face.

Most of these symptoms I have actually experienced for a long time but I never really assumed they were related. When I have brought them up to doctors in the past I have been told to alter my diet, exercise more, etc. I actually have changed my diet considerably, generally eating more healthy, and exercise lightly. However, I still experience the symptoms and they seem persistent regardless.

So that was more long-winded than I intended it to be. However, it seemed like it was better to be more complete about my description. Thanks for reading. This leads me to a few questions for anyone who has familiarity with the vagus nerve, including symptoms and remedies. One thing I can't figure out is the difference between an over-active and an under-active nerve. I have pain which seems to be direct nerve pain. Yet, sometimes when I activate the nerve through diaphragmatic breathing (I sing, which was really the cause of my concern) it seems to sometimes make it worse. I feel like it's over-active, although I can't pinpoint what is causing this. I'll have to continue to research and tune in to my body. I'm also curious about how well and how quickly ALA works? I want to start taking it but it is a little expensive so I'm trying to gather as much information as possible before I make a purchase. One thing that concerns me is information I found stating that it can be risky to take if you have metal filling, which I have three of. Apparently, it can cause mercury released by the fillings and stored in the body to be transferred to the brain. Now, there only seems to be minimal information about this. Apparently, this was put forth by one doctor, Andrew Cutler. Has anyone who has been taking ALA also had metal fillings? I feel like this is really not something I should worry about, however the idea of mercury crossing over into the brain has me a little worried. Lastly, does anyone have any links to articles about ALA and it's affect on the vagus nerve specifically?

Oh, one last thing. I started taking Vitamin D and Vitamin B sub-lingual drops around the time I stopped my medication. I also recently started started taking krill oil. All of these seem to help, lowering the frequency and severity of the symptoms. However, I'd really like to get down to the root cause. I might be barking up the wrong tree, but the symptoms seem to point strongly to irregular vagus nerve activity.

Any help would be immensely appreciated. Thanks so much for taking the time to read this.