Author Topic: How to eat weeds: recipes and uses for wild foraged ingredients  (Read 6947 times)

Offline BJ_BOBBI_JO

• Guru
  • I SEE YOU
    • BJ_BOBBI_JO blog
  You might be saying What?! Weeds?!

Yep weeds. There are many safe and healthy weeds to eat and I would like to learn more about them.

Do any of you have any recipes for your favorite weeds? I will share a few but I don't have any fancy kinds of recipes.

Wild carrot AKA Queens Ann's Lace

-You can batter and fry up the white flowers of this plant
-You can eat the root raw or cooked. Smells and taste like regular carrot plants.
-You can eat the flowers raw

Weed Salad

I like to go out and gather fresh weeds to mix in with lettuce and other veggies for a healthy salad. Here are some ideas for a mixed healthy salad of weeds and the more recognized veggies:

-red clover flowers ( the ones that look kind of purple pinkish)
-dandelion leaves
-wild grape leaves
-lambs quarter leaves
-white clover flowers
-garlic mustard leaves
-chicory flowers
-wild carrot roots

And throw in some berries, broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, celery, nuts, seeds, avacado, grapes, and lettuce and ya got yourself a good healthy salad.

Adding wild carrot flowers and golden rod flowers in the salad would add color but I dont prefer eating those 2 raw. But I can and have before.

I have company coming over so I have to go but please someone feel free to share your weed recipes. I am hoping to learn more ways to eat safe and healthy weeds.

Oh and weeds are FREE! FREE FREE FREE. Why not love free healthy safe foods? FREE  ;D

Offline BJ_BOBBI_JO

• Guru
  • I SEE YOU
    • BJ_BOBBI_JO blog
Re: How to eat weeds: recipes and uses for wild foraged ingredients
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2008, 05:50:27 PM »
Here is a link to Wildman Steves weed recipes.

http://www.wildmanstevebrill.com/

scroll the left small screen down to " cooking" and then click on "plant recipes"

« Last Edit: June 26, 2008, 06:45:11 PM by BJ_BOBBI_JO »

Offline mom24boys

• Adept
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2009, 04:40:53 PM »
How do you use your WILD FORAGED ingredients?  Share your successful adventures of preparing and eating foraged provender.

I was just making some chicken vegetable soup with what was left in the pantry and fridge.  I didn't have anything green to go in and it looked sort of sad :( and unappetizing :-X

Then inspiration hit; there are dandelions in the yard!

It was a big hit with the family.  All the kids thought it was delicious!

I don't have accurate measurements but here are the ingredients:

homemade broth (big pot)
yellow curry paste (tablespoon)
brown rice (uncooked, about a cup)
potatoes (6 or 7 small)
carrots (5 big)
onion (one big)
garlic (?)
fresh sage from the herb garden (12 leaves)
dandelion greens (maybe 15 small plants)
salt & pepper
sprinkle of cayenne
a couple of shots of balsamic vinegar
chicken (1/2 of a deboned)
flour slurry to thicken if desired

I mixed the broth with the curry paste and brought to a boil.  I added the rice and reduced temp so simmer.  When I figured the rice was 1/2 done, I added the potatoes and carrots and onion and garlic.  When potatoes are almost tender, add dandelion, seasonings and chicken.  When it returns to a boil, stir in slurry to thicken and adjust seasonings when it has thickened.

This was a delightful balance of flavors.

« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 06:44:14 AM by boysmama »

Offline SarahLaRae

• Master
  • Sweet Anna
    • My Blog
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2009, 06:32:26 PM »
I've put steamed nettles in white sauce before, then pored it over corn bread.  Mmmmm, it was so good!

Offline mom24boys

• Adept
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2009, 08:14:45 PM »
That sound delicious, SarahLaRae.  I think we will have that for lunch tomorrow.

I am also thinking of making a foraged kimchi with cow parsnips, bracken fern shoots, and dandelion.  I have to wait about 8 weeks for the cow parsnips and bracken fern to be ready.  I think I will continue to collect the dandelion and freeze it to get enough while they are young and tender.

I'm excited!

Offline SarahLaRae

• Master
  • Sweet Anna
    • My Blog
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2009, 03:58:22 AM »
Hey, that's a really good idea!  I would never have thought of that!

Offline ridgerunner

• Master
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2009, 04:07:07 AM »
I didn't think about freezing dandelion, good tip!
"If these walls came tumbling down and fell so hard to make us lose our faith, from what's left you'd figure it out and still make lemonade taste like a sunny day.  Stay American" (DMB)

YoopreMama

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2009, 06:44:21 AM »
Have you read The Wild Flavor by Marilyn Kluger?  Great book for this topic--takes you through the seasons (Indiana-based, but travels to VT for maple syrup season).  Fabulous recipes, tips on gathering, identifying pictures, etc.

Thanks for the recommendation, Nickole.   :-*