Author Topic: Miscarriage, Fevers & Hormones  (Read 7535 times)

Offline morningglory

• Adept
Miscarriage, Fevers & Hormones
« on: June 21, 2008, 04:54:43 PM »
If anybody's still up, please help me out!  I had a miscarriage in April at 9 weeks, then 2 or 3 weeks later I had bad hemmoraghing, and my OB pulled out placental tissue manually, put me on antibiotics, and sent me home.  A week after that, I had increased bleeding and rapidly elevating fever.  I had a D&C under anesthesia, more antibiotics, home again.  My OB pulled out black, infected placental tissue.  I nearly lost enough blood to require a transfusion.  I had a few times of bright red blood, but never much, and it has now stopped completely, for over a week. 

My temperature has been elevated since the hemmoraghing, but never over 99.5.  It had started to go down, and the lowest it's been has been 98.8.  I'm normally 97 something.  Tonight, it's 99.2 again.  Is this hormones?  Do I have a latent infection from the miscarriage?  What's going on?  I've asked my OB,a nd nobody wants to give me an answer.  Should I be concerned? 

I'm taking licorice root, yellow dock, milk thistle, dandelion, aloe vera with parsley and ginger, and occasionally pregnancy tea mix, if that helps.  I finished up my antibiotics a week or so ago. 

Please help me.  I've had one too many near death experiences this year, and I'm just a teensy bit paranoid.

Offline westernmama

• Adept
    • Cheap Pregnancy Tests
Re: Miscarriage, Fevers & Hormones
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2008, 07:11:34 PM »
Are you still bleeding at all?  And if so, what color/quantity is it?

Offline morningglory

• Adept
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2008, 06:18:40 AM »
No bleeding at all for over a week.  I have some clear, whitish discharge regularly, but it's not like cervical fluid.  My temeprature spiked at 99.6 last night, and right now I'm up to 99.2.  This is extremely unusual for me.

Offline morningglory

• Adept
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2008, 02:11:04 PM »
If the fever is caused by out-of-control hormones, would progesterone help?  I still have false unicorn and wild yam capsules, and natural progesterone cream.  Maybe I could narrow down whether it's infection or hormones that way?  Would it hurt to try?

If anybody's still up, please help me out!  I had a miscarriage in April at 9 weeks, then 2 or 3 weeks later I had bad hemmoraghing, and my OB pulled out placental tissue manually, put me on antibiotics, and sent me home.  A week after that, I had increased bleeding and rapidly elevating fever.  I had a D&C under anesthesia, more antibiotics, home again.  My OB pulled out black, infected placental tissue.  I nearly lost enough blood to require a transfusion.  I had a few times of bright red blood, but never much, and it has now stopped completely, for over a week. 

My temperature has been elevated since the hemmoraghing, but never over 99.5.  It had started to go down, and the lowest it's been has been 98.8.  I'm normally 97 something.  Tonight, it's 99.2 again.  Is this hormones?  Do I have a latent infection from the miscarriage?  What's going on?  I've asked my OB,a nd nobody wants to give me an answer.  Should I be concerned? 

I'm taking licorice root, yellow dock, milk thistle, dandelion, aloe vera with parsley and ginger, and occasionally pregnancy tea mix, if that helps.  I finished up my antibiotics a week or so ago. 

Please help me.  I've had one too many near death experiences this year, and I'm just a teensy bit paranoid.

Offline westernmama

• Adept
    • Cheap Pregnancy Tests
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2008, 03:16:24 PM »
Morningglory, I just don't know.   :-\  I wish someone could give you a clear answer.  I do know that after my miscarriages, my bbt's stayed elevated for a while until the pregnancy hormones got out of my system.  What would your doc do if you went in? 

I would probably just wait it out a bit unless you are having other symptoms indicative of infection.  Are you feeling sick at all?  Chills, hot flashes? 

You could try RRL.  That's good for us females and our reproductive systems.  ;)

I know this probably doesn't help much.  Remember I'm thinking of you!

Offline WithLoveAndJoy

• Master
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2008, 03:35:32 PM »
My understanding is that your body temperature CAN vary, but I wouldn't become terribly concerned unless you started to have a fever of 101 or greater.  99 is still considered moderately normal for most folks.

Now, if you have chills, nausea, etc, like westernmama mentioned, I would immediately get checked out because that in conjunction with the fever would point towards a major problem.

I also agree that you should try some RRL, it might be very helpful in moderating the hormones that might be causing you some of the troubles you are experiencing.

What I am about to say MIGHT be WellTellMe sacrilege, but maybe taking too many herbs is not helpful.  Even though they are natural, they are still medicinal.  Maybe your body could use a break and just the RRL would be enough, and then your body could flush the excess hormones, and maybe some of the residual herbs.  I hope that is helpful :-)  Still praying for you dear friend!
Visit my blog and see my deals for the week :)

http://homemakersresource.blogspot.com/

Offline morningglory

• Adept
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2008, 03:47:55 PM »
Anybody else know if the progesterone is a bad idea?

I've not had any other symptoms.  No localized pain, no foul smelling discharge, no chills. 

I've been drinking my pregnancy tea mix, which is mostly red raspberry.  I'll be getting some capsules tomorrow so I can get more into me.  The herbs I'm taking are more or less necessary, because I quit taking my prescription iron supplements.  I need to be doing SOMETHING to build my blood up.

DH said to go in and get my hormone levels checked tomorrow for peace of mind.  I guess I'm feeling a time crunch, because if anything is going to happen, it needs to happen before my mom goes home.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2008, 03:51:06 PM by morningglory »

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2008, 03:43:51 AM »
What about Chlorophyll for the blood building?  That has lots of good iron in it.
There's already a few threads dealing with anemia and blood building.  Lets keep this thread directed towards finding an answer to the original question.

Anemia [Iron Deficiency]: Supplements & Diet
Anemia [Iron Deficiency] & Pregnancy
Anemia [Iron Deficiency]: Supplements & Diet
Home Test For Iron?
Iron in Multi-Vits
Cooking with Cast Iron
  My favorite herb book!!

cecac

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2008, 04:03:31 AM »
Just a personal opinion, morninglory, but I would not put any type of extra horomones on top of what is already going on in the body.  I would likely wait until everything evened out. 

Although, if you get your horomone levels checked and there is something obviously out of range, then IMO perhaps it would be good to consider.

I feel that horomones and even precursors to the production of them needs very careful consideration.  To try to use progesterone may could confuse your body at this time when horomones are already having to settle out.  I agree with others that RRL is safe and effective at leveling out.

HTH,
Cara

Offline morningglory

• Adept
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2008, 07:29:03 AM »
Well, the blood test said my hormone levels are down, so that's likely not causing the fever.  It's also been 6 weeks since the miscarriage, and my pregnancy symptoms went away as soon as the baby died.  So I doubt I have enough pregnancy hormones to be causing much of anything.

The white blood counts will be back tomorrow.  It'll be interesting to see what they say.  I believe the fever is either caused by latent infection that the antibiotics didn't take care of, or a reoccurrence of the mono I had 5 years ago.  My body's been through the wringer since then, with 2 full term pregnancies, 2 bad hemmoraghes, and 2 miscarriages, and all of that stress could have brought the mono back.