Author Topic: belly button infection in toddler  (Read 85355 times)

Offline blessedwife

• Adept
belly button infection in toddler
« on: June 22, 2008, 03:32:25 PM »
My 18-month old has had what appears to be some kind of infection or irritation in and around her belly button for at least 3 weeks now.
It's very red and the area/ring around it is red and irritated as well.  There was some thin, yellowish fluid that was draining from it for a while, and
I've been treating it with Eden Salve and rubbing alcohol. 

I've been using more rubbing alcohol on it for the past day or so.  (The Eden Salve did not seem to be helping it. )  There has been a bit of crustiness in her belly button, a little like a scab, but no blood.

It doesn't seem to be hurting her at all, but I'm starting to worry a little because it just doesn't seem to be getting any better.  This just started "out of the blue," she has never had any trouble with it before, even as a newborn.

So what should I do? I'm thinking about taking her in to be seen by her pediatrician tomorrow, but I'd rather leave that option as a very last resort. 

Any advice?  (Please! :))

Offline mauimom

• Adept
Re: belly button infection in toddler
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2008, 06:50:44 PM »
This reminds me of a friend in college.  We had attended a farm fest together, and by the end of it we were covered in hay.  A few weeks later, her belly button was all red, crusty, oozing and did not smell pretty! :P  After digging around, we found a piece of hay was still stuck in there and had gotten infected.  After we dug it out, we cleaned it up and she was fine.
Maybe your dd was playing with it, or stuck something little in there.  Belly buttons are bigger/deeper than they appear!  ;)
hth
mauimom

Offline blessedwife

• Adept
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2008, 08:03:40 PM »
Thank you, mauimom :)
I've tried poking around, but I couldn't find anything.  Her belly button does not smell bad at all. 
The only other thing I could think of was that maybe it is in connection to this rash that she has had on her bottom.  It had been really, really red, all up and down the crack of her bottom (poor thing :-\).  It's taken several weeks to clear up, but it's nearly gone now.  For a while it was seeping a little (yellowish/greenish fluid).  So now I'm thinking maybe the rash/infection/whatever also got into her belly button. (?)

Offline lotsagirls

• Adept
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2008, 03:26:09 AM »
You can try putting a little goldenseal root powder or Oregon Grape root powder in there.  These are the two ingredients in my Cord Care Powder.  One treatment usually works on my little ones when there belly button looks sore.
Lo, children are an heritage of the Lord: and the fruit of the womb is his reward.  Psalm 127:3

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2008, 03:35:33 AM »
I have an "inny" and it's prone to irritation because of the lack of air circulation.  Before I treated for yeast, it got infected quite regularly.  Antifungals worked the best and after treating for systemic yeast, I've had maybe one reoccurrance.

The diaper rash could also very likely be yeast related.

I would check the threads on yeast/leaky gut and the thread on diaper rash for treatment ideas.

My favorite herb book!!

Offline lotsaboys

• Master
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2008, 08:56:33 AM »
I second the goldenseal powder! Just be careful- it stains clothing.

Offline blessedwife

• Adept
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2008, 10:26:14 AM »
Hi again!!

Just got back from the doctor who diagnosed the belly button with impetigo.  He told me that she has eczema (I noticed this over the last couple of months, on her legs and arms) and that the eczema got into the belly button and then became infected. 

What do you all think?

He has given me an Rx for Bactroban cream and if that doesn't work within 3-4 days I am to start her on Keflex (antibiotic).

I'll go ahead and check the impetigo thread for some ideas...

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2008, 12:09:39 PM »
Hi again!!

Just got back from the doctor who diagnosed the belly button with impetigo.  He told me that she has eczema (I noticed this over the last couple of months, on her legs and arms) and that the eczema got into the belly button and then became infected. 

What do you all think?

He has given me an Rx for Bactroban cream and if that doesn't work within 3-4 days I am to start her on Keflex (antibiotic).

I'll go ahead and check the impetigo thread for some ideas...

http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,839.0.html
http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,2182.0.html
http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,3248.0.html
http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,5315.0.html
http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,4638.0.html
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline blessedwife

• Adept
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2008, 07:25:00 PM »
Thank you, HB ;D ;D ;D

Offline Becks

• Adept
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2009, 07:06:01 PM »
Reviving this thread because my 3 year old has her third belly button inflamation in as many years.  Hmmm I see a pattern here. 

The first time it was out of the blue and had yucky puss and icky smell. 

The second time was after she was playing on a wood pile and I assumed she just got a mild case of chiggers or somekind of bug bite.  As I recall that one had little bit marks in a circle around the belly button and no puss or smell. 

Now, third time's a charm!  We're back to the puss and rash around the belly button.  The first time when she was much younger I used triple antibiotic cream and it cleared up.  I used bactine on it today and cleaned it out with a cotton swab.  She says it hurts.

So all that to say, the first and third occurances sound siimilar and I think the second one really was bugs.

Now what? Please don't say it's yeast... unless you have to.  I've been trying to ignore my own yeast problems for a while now and I don't know if I'm ready to face it yet.  ::)  It sounds so complicated.  I'm especially afraid of having o use a special diet. 

Ok, ok, my kid's health is more important to me than convenience and comfort, so let me have it!  (Your advice I mean, not a knock over the head.)  A slow intorduction to curing yeast for a beginning learner would be nice.  You know.. baby steps. ;D

I'm hoping you'll all say just use the antibiotic cream on it again.  That's the easiest thing.

Well it's late, so Ill just post this and see what happens.

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2009, 07:26:51 PM »
It could just be that it's stayed wet after bathing, etc. Maybe her belly button is shaped in a way that doesn't dry out as well as most people's.

What I use is something that's both antibacterial & antifungal. That way it will take care of it no matter what. Suggestions:

tea tree es oil
lavender ess oil
GSE in water- 1 drop GSE per ounce of water- dab it on, let set a few & then dry any remaining moisture.
liquid or ointment colloidal silver
herbal teas- Goldenseal, Myrrh, Echinacea, & Pau d'Arco are some that come to mind if you have any of them. Make tea, let cool & apply, let sit & dry just like I said for GSE in water.

Miracle salve or Eden salve might clear it up also but my first choice would be to let it dry out rather than sealing in the moisture like  salve does.

HTH Blessings ~herbalmom

Offline momof6boys

• Adept
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2009, 02:28:58 AM »
I make a great diaper rash cream that I use on just about anything that looks like yeast.  I mix coconut oil and cornstarch and then add a few drops of Tea Tree Essential Oil.  It works wonders on anything that looks like a fungal infection.  I even had to make a batch for my husband who got some type of infection between his toes.  It has cleared it up really nice.

Offline Becks

• Adept
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2009, 03:26:33 AM »
I make a great diaper rash cream that I use on just about anything that looks like yeast.  I mix coconut oil and cornstarch and then add a few drops of Tea Tree Essential Oil.  It works wonders on anything that looks like a fungal infection.  I even had to make a batch for my husband who got some type of infection between his toes.  It has cleared it up really nice.

I like this idea!  I've got all that stuff. Could you post or PM me the recipe with proportions for each ingredient? 

It's already looking better today.  It's still puffy and red and she says it hurts, but it's not as large of a red spot as it was yesterday.  So I think I caught it early and it's responding well to just being disinfected with the Bactine spray,  and swabbed clean with a cotton swab.

Thanks so much.

Offline Becks

• Adept
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2009, 03:34:25 AM »
Simple solutions, Yay!  I just made a connection... She had a bath Tuesday night... the bellybutton inflamation happened by Thursday.  Voila! No big deal.  I just need to use a cotton swab on her belly button after each bath.  I can do that. An ounce of prevention....

In the meantime I would still like that recipe for clearing up the issue we currently have.

Very helpful ladies, thank you.

Offline momof6boys

• Adept
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2009, 05:58:16 AM »
I don't have a specific recipe.  I just melt a little bit of coconut oil--maybe a cup full--in a glass jar set in warm water in a pan on low heat.  I only keep it on the stove just until it melts.  Then I add cornstarch until it makes a cream.  I stir it up really good.  I add a few drops of Tea Tree Oil to the mixture, maybe 3 or 4 drops, I don't like it to smell too strong as I use it on my baby.  A little goes a very long way with this recipe.
I have used this ever since my only baby girl was born.  It has been a real help.  I have even put it on my boys head for dandruff.  It would probably be better without the cornstarch for that one though.
The coconut oil and TTO both have antifungal properties from what I have read here on WTM.  The cornstarch has been used for years for diaper rash and I even used it when I worked in a nursing home years ago when we would have bad yeasty type rashes in the folds of elderly patients.  It keeps things dry.

Offline Becks

• Adept
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2009, 03:51:22 AM »
Ok, I'm off to go mix up a batch of that stuff.  But, doesn't yeast feed on cornstarch?

Now, here's another piece to the puzzle.... the little neighbor girl showed up yesterday with the SAME belly button problem.  Wierd.  Is this catchy or did they both just happen to get the problem at the same time?  I have 4 kids and the other 3 haven't gotten this problem.

My daughter with the Belly button problem was born in Mexico and they used some type of cloth to tie up the umbilical cord... she has a very deep inny belly button.  They don't use the little plastic clamp thingy.  Whereas my other kiddos born in the States don't have deep ones.  I'm guessing it's because of the method of tying off the umbilical cord.

It was so cute yesterday watching these 3 year olds comparing bellies and discussing their problems.   :D

Offline momof6boys

• Adept
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2009, 05:51:11 AM »
Sorry, I really don't know the answer to whether or not yeast feed on cornstarch.  I am just beginning to learn about all these different "natural" remedies.  I do know that from personal experience, this mixture has worked for my family.  I got the idea from a friend who gave me a mixture of cornstarch and coconut oil as a gift for my soon-to-be-born-baby about two years ago.  My husband had been battling this foot infection between his toes for awhile until I gave him this mixture to use.  He said it cleared it right up and he's a doctor who would normally use antifungal creams etc.
I had a friend who had a yeast infection and she used aloe from an aloe vera plant I gave her.  She said the aloe vera cleared it up within a day.  That is another thing you could try if you have an aloe plant.

Offline Mama Sita

• Adept
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2009, 03:51:23 AM »
Ok, I'm off to go mix up a batch of that stuff.  But, doesn't yeast feed on cornstarch?

Hmmmm, you got me thinking on this one, Becks. I was under the impression that yeast feed on glucose, and so I got to looking around on the net. Now, I know that the enzyme amylase is needed to convert carbohydrates to glucose, but I wasn't sure if yeast possess that enzyme. They are simple, large-celled beasties that reproduce by budding, and converting a complex carbohydrate like cornstarch to glucose is actually quite a process that I don't believe yeasts by themselves are capable of doing.

After a little checking, it seems that amylase is contained in saliva and pancreatic digestive secretions. Both of these would be present in the GI tract, where the process of breaking down the carb into the glucose would take place. The yeast then feeds on the glucose, thanks to the amylase. However, with the way you are using the cornstarch topically, I don't believe you are actually "feeding" the yeast. The enzymes needed to break down the cornstarch into glucose just aren't there, as they would be in the GI tract.

All of this is IMO and based on my feeble research. I definitely could be wrong here, but that's what I found this morning. After only 1 cup of coffee. Amazing, huh?  ;D
(Not really).
"No one stands as tall as a Christian on his knees."
Get $5 off your first iHerb.com order: Code ISA141

Offline Becks

• Adept
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2009, 08:36:59 AM »
The cornstarch/yeast research is very interesting.  Thanks for doing that.  Now I feel better about using it topically.

I did mix up a teaspoon of coconut oil and 1 drop of tea tree oil.  I'm conserving my coconut oil since it's hard to find here.  She said the pain is all gone.  The belly button is looking a bit scabby and not weepy.  The redness is limited to the scabby part. It's not a big red spot all around the belly button anymore.  So definitely some healing going on. 

On another note, the other little girl that got the belly button problem too is doing better.  Hers didn't get as bad as my little girl's did. 

Well, off to sweep the floor before baby decides to get a snack from the table droppings left after lunch.  Yum!  :P

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2009, 03:34:43 PM »
Hi Becks,
I don't think a deep belly button is connected to how the cord was tied off...I think it is as genetic as how long your second toe is. ;)

Yeast (and bacteria) is something that is all around us all the time.  Sourdough bread is traditionally made just by catching yeast from the air...all they need is moisture and warmth to start growing.  So I think that your diagnosis of making sure her b-button is all the way dry is the right way to go.

If you're nervous about the cornstarch, then you could also try baking soda or dust it on.  It creates an alkaline environment that is unfriendly to the growth of yeast and bacteria.  You can also sprinkle some in her bath the next time or two just to discourage another bout.
Come see me at www.gwens-nest.com
♥ Check out our family favorite recipes, funny kid stories, natural remedies and other creative and fun stuff.

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2009, 03:37:07 PM »
Be careful with leave-on baking soda applications. It can be irritating on the skin. Using it in the bath is a good idea!

Offline youngmom

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2012, 05:22:11 PM »
Hi! I hope you're still checking in your account...I tried google-ing my problem & found out about your case. My son, he's 7 months now also has red patches on his navel. It seems moist & would leak fluids. I've taken him to the doctor (twice to a pedia & the last visit to a dermatologist). They've prescribed topical solutions but it didn't help that much. Although the irritated area would heal, 3 days after the condition returns...I couldn't figure out his condition.
Can you give me any idea? thanks a lot.