Author Topic: SuperMom MultiVitamins: FAQs & Answers  (Read 125149 times)

Offline LilyEilis

• Adept
Re: SuperMom MultiVitamins: FAQs & Answers
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2006, 05:31:21 PM »
Ummm...hate to be a bother...but does anyone else have any ideas why SuperMom doesn't seem to make a difference for me?  Thank you SO much for any more help!
"...Jesus Christ, whom having not seen you love. Though now you do not see Him, yet believing, you rejoice with joy inexpressible and full of glory, receiving the end of your faith—the salvation of your souls." ~1 Peter 1:7f-9

Offline Kansas Girl

• Adept
« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2006, 06:13:29 PM »
LilyEilis,
I'm not sure if this is helpful or not, but I'm in the same boat you are.  I have been taking Supermom for about 3 weeks and have noticed very little difference.  At first, I thought it was because my brother had been in a very serious car accident and the stress and concern from that would naturally make one very tired, but as the weeks have gone on I have finally realized that it isn't giving me the boost in energy that I have hoped for.  I'm beginning to wonder if doing a cleanse like the Master Cleanse might be whats needed for me.  I LOVE sugar and I wonder if it is my diet that is holding me back.  Plus, I've had 3 children in 5 years which can also take a toll on a person's body.  I wonder if doing a cleanse might be what I need to get me back on track.  I've also noticed that while taking Supermom, sugar makes me feel kind of yucky (headache).  So, in my case I'm pretty sure it is my diet.
-KG
having a baby" border="0

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2006, 05:05:25 PM »
I would first place the blame on diet and am trying hard to get white flour and sugar out of my diet.  I also would love to do a cleanse to get off on the right foot, but have to wait til I am not nursing....  ... Another thing I have thought of adding to my diet is the cod liver oil.  ????

Check these links at the Nursing/Allergy Thread
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Monica in Germany

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2006, 08:17:38 PM »
I recently ordered Supermom vitamins from Beeyoutiful.com.  I read the nutritional info on the back of bottle and noticed the high potentcy of the vitamins and minerals.  Then upon taking them, my urine became almost flourescent.  Isn't this because alot of those vitamins and minerals are passing right through me and not being absorbed???  How does the liver handle this kind of potentcy and has this company done their research on the percentage of absorbtion for their product? 
« Last Edit: April 26, 2006, 09:24:18 AM by BeeyoutifulGirl »

Offline mrsroeser

• Adept
  • my loving family :)
« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2006, 12:39:08 AM »
Wow... Sorry it took me so long to reply to this.. I must have missed it.. Yes, I take both together.. I don't know how I missed the second one that one day... And yes I think sugar has a lot to do with energy levels.. The last couple days I've been eating cookies like the crazy (I don't usually eats sweets at all)... I made a batch of cookies and then the girl scout stopped by to drop some off.. haha. anyway.. I've been much more tired the last few evenings...
Another thing about supermoms is that it doesn't make me crave coffee like I used to... I used to be such an addict!! Now I can go the whole day without and still have energy!! Maybe being off the coffee has helped decrease the highs and lows too... shrug..That's all I can think of.. I can't wait to read the article Gabe is going to post about how those vitamins work.
-Sally

Offline Mamatutu

• Learning
« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2006, 03:32:10 PM »
I'm not typically a vitamin person. We eat all natural healthy 'real' foods, but generally don't take any pills. Anyway I was excited to try Supermom and looked forward to the benefits of havings extra energy! However, within a week of taking it, my seven month old(who is exclusively nursing) broke out in moderately severe eczema all over her body. :o She has never reacted to anything before so I waited another week, continuing the vitamins, but after determining that they were the only thing that 'changed' I stopped taking them. Within 5 days the eczema cleared up and after another week her skin in back to the wonderful baby softness. I wonder if it's possible to have too much vitamins or if she's allergic to the green ingredients. Any thoughts? PS My husband is still taking them!  :)
« Last Edit: April 25, 2006, 04:07:41 PM by healthybratt »
Stacey ~ Privileged to be the wife and helpmeet of my darling Daniel and devoted mama to four precious babes~ Micah Daniel (2/7/04), Rebekah Hope (9/8/05), and Eliahna Pearl (6/9/07), and TBA November 2008.

Offline ForeverGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Master
  • BoogBug
    • WellTellMe
« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2006, 05:22:57 PM »
I recently ordered Supermom vitamins from Beeyouthful.  I read the nutritional info on the back of bottle and noticed the high potentcy of the vitamins and minerals.  Then upon taking them, my urine became almost flourescent.  Isn't this because alot of those vitamins and minerals are passing right through me and not being absorbed???  How does the liver handle this kind of potentcy and has this company done their research on the percentage of absorbtion for their product?
Just wanted to bump this back up to the top.  I also posted a question almost the same earlier, so I am interested in hearing what is the cause.
  Sorry to have missed your earlier question, Mishy!

Yes, the yellow urine is from the B vitamins. And no, the vitamins are not passing through you unabsorbed. Your body absorbs as much as it needs, and sends toxins out with the extra through your urine. This is a really great mechanism that keeps you from overdosing on vitamins! Vitamins attract toxins, stick to them, and then the vitamins move right on out of your body, taking the toxins with them.
If you don't have toxins, the extra vitamins will leave your body anyway.

And yes, extensive research has been done on the ingredients of this vitamin. The only vitamins that one could possibly overdose on are A and K. However, in Supermom vit A comes through the natural source of Beta Carotene, and your body is able to shed extra Beta Carotene, where it can't shed synthetic A. Vit K comes in the Spirulina, and again, your body is able to shed Spirulina, where it cannot shed synthetic K. There is also some vit E - but not much, certainly not enough to worry about overdose.

I'm not saying Supermom is the vitamin for you. It worked for me, and so I recommend it.  8)

I hope this answers your question.  :)

Rebekah
Honey Sunny in complete exasperation:
"JOE!!! You DOUGHNUT COCONUT COCONUT COCONUT!!!"

Offline ForeverGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Master
  • BoogBug
    • WellTellMe
« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2006, 05:34:26 PM »
Hi Mamatutu, (cute name... I wear a tutu too :o)

Hm, this is the first we've heard of this reaction... Do you have any allergies? It certainly does sound like the Supermom is what was causing the problem, and you should probably not take it until you're done nursing.

There is a very small amount of soy product in Supermom. I wonder if that could be the culprit? Has anybody here on WellTellMe had an allergic reaction to the soy in Supermom?

Sorry it caused your little one discomfort! Hope it works for Superdad!

Rebekah

« Last Edit: April 29, 2006, 07:25:04 AM by Gabriel Anast »

Offline mishy

• Master
« Reply #38 on: April 25, 2006, 08:56:04 PM »
What about the iron?  I am feeling a little "full" and my stools are on the harder side.  I have never been constipated in my life and have never taken an iron supplement.  Is this something that will pass or should I quit the Supermom because of this? 

Are most people low on iron?  just curious as to why you chose to include iron in the supermom. 

Thanks! 

Offline petrimama

• Master
    • My blog...
« Reply #39 on: April 26, 2006, 07:17:25 AM »
I was also wondering about the PABA in Supermom.  I know there's only a little bit and at first it appealed to me because it can be converted into folic acid and I'm pregnant.  Then I happened upon an article that stated that PABA was not considered safe for ingestion during pregnancy.  I'm still taking Supermom right now, because there are so many benefits, but I am anxious to find out more on this topic, since the contraindication during pregnancy involved neurological disorders.  Unfortunately all of my searches keep turning up info on topical PABA application.  Any input?  Anyone?

Also, Funny story about Supermom urine:  I went to the midwife and had to leave a urine sample, and of course the cup is clear and the bathroom is across the waiting room.  When I finally handed it to the nurse she did a HUGE double take, then looked at me like I was an alien because my urine sample did a better job of lighting the room than the fluorescent bulbs in the ceiling!  I just pretended not to notice, but my husband and I had a good laugh when I told him that night.   ~Layla

Offline ForeverGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Master
  • BoogBug
    • WellTellMe
« Reply #40 on: April 26, 2006, 09:19:16 AM »
This email came to beeyoutiful.com from a customer recently, and it sort of fits here...

"I went to a naturopath who is also a board certified pharmacologist, to review some problems I am having, due, apparently, to lack of oxygen at the cellular level.  At the end of the consultation, I asked him to look over the ingredients supplied by the SuperMom tabs to see if it was okay for me to take them.  His response was more than enthusiastic.  He said that in my current oxygen deprived condition, I need the best possible nutrition to be available to me, and these will really help.  He then went on to say that these are "better than the prenatals I stock for my patients" and that they would be a great vitamin for anyone (pregnant or not!) to take.  The Spirulina included right into the formula makes the price higher than a typical prenatal, but very fair considering the cost of purchasing it separately.  So thanks in advance for a great product! ---I'm looking forward to getting these!! "

Offline ForeverGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Master
  • BoogBug
    • WellTellMe
« Reply #41 on: April 26, 2006, 09:23:50 AM »
What about the iron?  I am feeling a little "full" and my stools are on the harder side.  I have never been constipated in my life and have never taken an iron supplement.  Is this something that will pass or should I quit the Supermom because of this? 

Are most people low on iron?  just curious as to why you chose to include iron in the supermom. 

Thanks! 

Some people do have high iron all the time - mostly these will be men. My father-in-law has high iron and needs to stay away from iron supplements, and even donate blood occasionally. My mom is the only woman I've ever known to have high iron levels.
Most women tend to be deficient in iron because of the  monthly blood loss. The iron in Supermom is for that "most likely" deficiency.
If your stools are hard and black, you probably are getting too much iron. If you get a chance, have your iron levels checked and find out...
Also if you have a dark, ruddy color to your skin - like you are tanned and warm all the time.

Otherwise, I would wonder if you are getting plenty to drink, 8 to 10 glasses of juice or water daily. I notice that this makes a difference for me.

Rebekah
« Last Edit: April 26, 2006, 09:26:59 AM by BeeyoutifulGirl »

Offline Gabriel Anast

• Administrator
  • Master
« Reply #42 on: April 26, 2006, 07:27:15 PM »
PABA...

OK, there may be contraindications that I am not aware of, however I know of only one that relates to PABA: PABA seems to interfere with sulfa based drugs. If you are on sulfa anti-biotics, you might want to lay of the PABA.

You might be thinking of a test that some new-borns are given call the biotinidase test. This tests for lack of the enzyme biotinidase. The test checks to see if the blood of a newborn can convert B-PABA to PABA. Only with the enzyme biotinidase can the "B" (biotin) be separated from the PABA. If this reaction does not occur, biotinidase deficiency is assumed and this can indeed lead to neurological disorders (but has nothing to do with PABA). In this case a baby is usually perscribed a daily biotin supplement.

There are no studies that conclusively show PABA as being necessary in humans, however many show that it can and does greatly enhance certain necessary biosynthetic pathways.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=6998248&dopt=Abstract

It turns out that PABA cannot be used by the human body to make folic acid although there are GI bacteria that can synthesize folic acid... they need the PABA for a raw ingredient in order to do this. PABA in a natural diet can be found in brewer’s yeast, wheat germ, whole grains, yogurt, eggs, fish, peanuts, molasses, some mushrooms and spinach.

Taking PABA as a supplement is good for helping the body build red blood cells, as an antioxidant and is very good for allowing some protein building functions to occour at a much more efficient rate. Just as Spirulina seems to be a bioavailability "booster" for vitamins and minerals, PABA also seems to work the same way for many amino acids in certain protein construction.

As far as PABA is concerned 30mg is a pretty small dose. Most Doctors will even recommend 1mg per day for pregnant women... and you know how liberal doctors are with vitamins.

Finally, one of the most common uses of PABA is as a fertility enhancer for women. There is only one study that suggests PABA as a fertility enhancer, but the common dossage for this is 100mg daily.

PABA is water soluble and is excreted through the urine.

As far as toxicity, there is one report of liver damage at levels of 8grams per day or more... but that would be about 260 tablets! The standard recommendation is to ask your doctor before supplementing more than 400mg per day.

--gabe

http://www.swedish.org/110930.cfm

Offline petrimama

• Master
    • My blog...
« Reply #43 on: April 27, 2006, 04:36:04 AM »
Hmmm....Thanks for posting.  I had read similar things about ridiculously larger quantities of PABA causing problems, but since I'm more moderate in my diets, this did not concern me.  When I came across the warning regarding pregnancy I was skeptical, especially because no dosage was noted (didn't seem too technical) but I had to ask...especially because there doesn't seem to be any other information available to support or negate it.  I didn't know that PABA can't be converted into folic acid though...but I'm sure I get enough with Supermom & all the whole grains we eat.  Why else would my urine glow? ;D  Thanks again - I'm glad to have the extra knowledge.              ~Layla

Offline terabithea

• Learning
« Reply #44 on: April 27, 2006, 04:50:04 AM »
hi!
i am about to place an order for supermom and noticed only one ingredient is listed as organic.  why is that?  is anything else in it organic?  (specifically green tea)
thanks in advace,
jennifer

Offline ForeverGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Master
  • BoogBug
    • WellTellMe
« Reply #45 on: April 27, 2006, 05:39:38 AM »
Supermom is not organic.

Upon researching "organic" we discovered that many so-called organic products were grown on fields that had become organic for the moment. In other words, these fields had been saturated with pesticides, etc... the previous years, but for the marketing label of "organic" this crop was allowed to mature without the pesticides. This often occurs in third world countries such as India and China, where they do whatever it takes to meet the American market demand. However, most of the organic-scam crops are going on right here in the US. 

Instead, we opted for "high quality, natural sources". This statement implies the sources have actually been checked out, and the buyer decided they were quality, safe, sources. However, the source may not meet the "organic" standards.

It is possible to buy a vitamin that is 100% organic, but they are usually insanely expensive.

So the short story is: organic stuff is better than non-organic - but not always as prestine as you may think it is.

Offline Mamatutu

• Learning
« Reply #46 on: April 27, 2006, 07:19:20 AM »
No, I don't have any allergies (that I know of!) and we use other soy products.  I'm bummed not to use them, but she's worth it!  :)
Stacey ~ Privileged to be the wife and helpmeet of my darling Daniel and devoted mama to four precious babes~ Micah Daniel (2/7/04), Rebekah Hope (9/8/05), and Eliahna Pearl (6/9/07), and TBA November 2008.

Offline Gabriel Anast

• Administrator
  • Master
« Reply #47 on: April 29, 2006, 07:23:11 AM »
The soy component is a tocopherol fraction... it contains no proteins and therefore should not be alergenic for the vast majority of people. I do not think that this is the culprit.

Can you give us any insight as to what else she might be alergic to? Or possibly any alergies that you might have?

--gabe

Offline Mamatutu

• Learning
« Reply #48 on: April 30, 2006, 10:19:43 AM »
I really have no known allergies other than the typical mold and dust which I doubt have anything to do with supermom, nor does my husband. The reaction was definately specific to that time period and her skin is perfectly normal now. She has generally red, dry cheeks, but that hasn't changed for better or worse. Sorry I can't be of further help! :-\

Offline Gabriel Anast

• Administrator
  • Master
« Reply #49 on: April 30, 2006, 07:15:13 PM »
OK, sorry for the delay... here's the beef (so to speak):

I believe that Supermom is a very effective multi because:

1) it is a multi-Vitamin made from high quality ingredients, with consideration in every case to being as allergen-free as possible.

2) it is combined with several "toxin sweepers" that help the body clear out toxicity which in turn commonly relieves lethargy, aches & pains, and other "toxin symptoms" like water retention.

3) it contains integrated superfoods, especially Spirulina.

This combination is not a ground breaking event in science, and I know there are a handful of other multi's that include Sprirulina and some that concentrate on "detoxifiers." It just happens that this particular formula was very effective for Beka and I, and for many others.

What are the "toxin sweepers?"

1) Chlorophyll: Spirulina has a high density of chlorophyll (about 1% by mass on average) and Chlorella has even more, usually about 3% to 5% by mass. Chlorophyll seems to act as a blood builder. The research has not been done to determine why, but the human body can (and does) build more hemoglobin faster in the presence of Chlorophyll. Further, Chlorophyll seems to strongly aid cleansing of toxicity in the bowl, the liver, and the bloodstream. Spirulina in itself usually provides significant "boost in energy" to most people that take it. Again this is simply from helping the body to rid itself of toxic build-up that it otherwise was unable to do, and by allowing the body to scale up hemoglobin production.

2) Octocosanol: This is thought to increase stamina and to "support neural function" many with autism spectra supplement with some positive results. B's of course also help in this regard also.

3) Green Tea Extract: This is a wonderful antioxidant, and the FDA has recently made a statement that "Green tea unlikely to reduce cancer risk." Which, of course, means that there is some very compelling research pointing to Green tea actually reducing cancer risk. There is a great article on this in the new LEF... it will be on the website in a couple weeks: Life Extension Foundation The caffeine from the green tea is minimized in the extraction, but no solvents are used to decaffeinate it.

4) Milk Thistle Extract: Wow... this is possibly the mother detoxifier. There have been many ad hoc studies done on Milk Thistle which have shown great results... however the studies were not properly constructed to insure validity to FDA standards, so more studies need to be done. Here is a brief article that fairly well characterizes Milk Thistle Extract: Health Guide. There is also an interesting article on this in the new LEF... watch the site for the article in a couple weeks.

5) Hesperidin and Rutin: These help intensify the effectiveness of vitamin C. These also help lower hypertension, decrease water retention, and reduce inflammation.

So, what does Spirulina do?

1) Increased Bioavailability of nutrients: I believe that Spirulina's effectiveness as a "transport" allows all the nutrients, minerals, and vitamins in the vitamin to be much more bioavailable than would otherwise be possible. Many have noticed all the B's in the form of "neon pee..." This is actually a good indicator that the B's are getting "full delivery."

2) Chlorophyll: Spirulina has a high density of chlorophyll (about 1% by mass on average) and Chlorella has even more, usually about 3% to 5% by mass. Chlorophyll seems to act as a blood builder. The research has not been done to determine why, but the human body can build more hemoglobin faster in the presence of Chlorophyll. Further, Chlorophyll seems to strongly aid cleansing of toxicity in the bowl, the liver, and the bloodstream.

3) Spirulina itself is a famous detoxifier among other things. Watershed.net has a very good article.

Tell me again about the quality of ingredients?

The ingredients in Supermom are very high quality. Some folks have asked whether the ingredients are Certified Organic, and they are not. However, that has nothing to do with the quality of the ingredients. The Certified Organic label helps a customer know that ingredients come from produce grown in fields that have not been chemically treated in about three years, and have been tested to insure that pesticide levels are below Federal requirements. This does not speak for the quality of the soil or the location of the field with respect to other pollutants, etc. The Certified Organic label is a good thing, and I am glad that the FDA has taken time to establish a standard, however it is just an FDA standard, and like any other standard, does not insure that you are getting the best possible product. It simply says that the product meets certain requirements. Supermom comes from excellent ingredients, sourced for freshness, natural and pollutant free growing conditions, and critical nutrient levels. The processes used to create the ingredients are specifically chosen to avoid solvents and dangerous chemical "riders."

I know that I have not covered all the ingredients, however the bulk of the vitamins and minerals should be obvious. Ask any questions, and I will try to answer them with aplomb!

Offline Gabriel Anast

• Administrator
  • Master
« Reply #50 on: April 30, 2006, 07:43:17 PM »
Oh, I forgot a part:

Why it usually works:

Most people have an undue toxin load, and any reduction in this load usually results in a distinct sensation of added energy. Toxicity comes primarily from Stress, poorly made foods (Trans-Fats, Homogenized fats, artificial sweeteners, solvents, etc) and perscription / OTC drugs to name the largest contributors. Also, when a woman is pregnant, her liver, blood, kidneys, etc are detoxing for two... Vitamins and minerals act in many ways to both detoxify and to help build body systems, organs, and finer parts of the general physiology. An added boost in the form of increased bioavailability (from Spirulina and Chlorophyll among others) just increases the effect the vitamins and minerals have on the body.

Most multi-vitamins are not as effective for several reasons: Many do not dissolve well, and never actually deliver the vitamins and minerals. Many have ingredients that are difficult for the body to detect and use. Most do not come with a whole food component like the superfoods in Supermom (I believe this will become more and more prevalent in multi's). The whole food component is (I believe) very important in helping the body identify the vitamins and minerals that are being provided. Many of the vitamin and mineral constituents of Supermom are actually provided by the Spirulina, Chlorella, and Alfalfa.

Both effects (effective vitamin/mineral delivery and general detoxing) should have an effect that you can feel, and notice as added energy. On top of this there is the hemoglobin building "attribute" of Chlorophyll which should be immediately noticeable as added energy since your oxygen transport efficiency will increase.

So, why might you not feel a boost?

Well, there are two possibilities: Either you badly need a boost and didn't notice one, or you have plenty of energy and a healthy body and didn't notice one...

In the latter case it is quite possible that you have a sufficient diet, or that the supplements you are taking currently are filling the bill!

In the former case, however, it is important to realize that in the case of a badly compromised system, you might not get enough help from Supermom alone.

~ If you have a GI yeast overgrowth, this needs to be dealt with as it is a constant toxin generator among other things.

~ Maybe you have had a constant source of toxicity for a long time and suffer from heavy gall bladder, liver, kidney or GI blockages. These can cause allergies, difficult to diagnose disease states, organ damage, and need to be dealt with carefully and quickly to preserve your health.

~If you are overweight, the body will not be able to "normalize" even if all the toxins are taken care of... the body will simply throw resources at decreasing excess fat... often times by unloading more stored toxins.

The bottom line is that even though Supermom is a great supplement, it cannot work identically for every person, and in many people there are other "buffering" situations (like those above) that need to be taken care of before the full effect can be realized.

The more specificity that you can provide regarding your personal situation, the better we can help you find a possible answer to lethargy, tiredness, and lack of energy.

Believe me, we want to help!

--gabe

Offline Gabriel Anast

• Administrator
  • Master
« Reply #51 on: April 30, 2006, 07:58:22 PM »
I'm taking full dose.  Hubby is only taking one and not glowing in the dark.   ;D  Should he take 2?

That is really weird! I am not sure why this would be except that maybe all the B's he is getting are being used and excreted as other complexes... I do not have the organic chemistry background to know whether this is the case or not... and, yes, I take two when I take them (I am a sporadic vitamin taker... 3 to 4 days a week...). If I feel like I "need more" I add some Spirulina.

By the way, I think it would be safe to eat a whole bottle of Spirulina in a day (although I do not recommend this... it would probably result in some weird GI revolt...). The only reason I say this is that I believe  Spirulina is so great... and it is a whole food. Many historical accounts describe South American peoples as eating Spirulina for up to half of their diet! I personally get a really great response from Spirulina for bruises, aching muscles, and "high stress-ness." Beeyoutiful's Spirulina is great and easy to take, but there is nothing particularly special about it (well it is grown in a wonderful naturally rich mineral environment which some Spirulina isn't, most is though).... Many people don't mind the taste of the powder and can thereby take more on a regular basis. Spirulina might seem like an expensive product to buy... but increase your Spirulina intake and watch your appetite change, and you will realize that it is really not that expensive!

Hope this helps!

--gabe

Offline homeschooltheheart

• Adept
    • The VBS Express
« Reply #52 on: May 01, 2006, 04:25:24 AM »
Does adding Spirulina increase appetite, or decrease it???  Just curious.

Here is what Supermom with added Spirulina has done for me.  I'm one of those people that has whole homogenized milk, processed and packaged foods, and fast food every week.  I have toxin problems...big toxin problems!  :)

By the third day of taking Supermom alone, I had increased my energy by more than half.  I take one in the morning and one after dinner.  It is too much for me to take together.  Family members noticed a huge difference and started taking Supermom (mine) too.  It's time for me to re-order.

The biggest benefit came with my cycle.  With every cycle for the past 5 years, I suffered from what feels like a UTI.   It only lasts as long as my cycle.  When I saw a urololgist with this problem, he said I had fibroids that were near my ureter that would swell and cause the ureter to close.  I couldn't urinate and had to take meds to help with that.  Then I saw the ob/gyn who said I don't have fibroids.  Imagine the confusion.  Anyway, I've been on Supermom and Spirulina for my last two cycles and this is the first time I've had no symptoms.  I feel great.  It has also helped with some other "cycle related" problems.

I hope this wasn't too off topic, but I really wanted to say what Supermom is doing for me.

Offline Myriah

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #53 on: May 01, 2006, 05:20:02 AM »
I ordered the Supermom vitamins a few weeks ago.  The first week was great.  I had a noticeable increase of energy.  The next week, however, I began to feel sick in the afternoons, then all evening, then all day.  The sick feeling was like a bloated feeling, which increased to where I felt I either needed to vomit or have a bm.  The only other time I have felt this way was when I had an infection of the gall bladder (and needed it removed) shortly after my 3rd child was born.  My fourth child is now 6 months.  Am I just bound to have organ problems after each birth?  Could it be related to the vitamins?  I ended up switching back to my prenatal vitamins and have had no more chronic bloated feeling.  Has anyone else experienced this type of reaction, I wonder.

Offline ForeverGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Master
  • BoogBug
    • WellTellMe
« Reply #54 on: May 01, 2006, 05:49:37 AM »
Hi Myriah,

I'm no doctor, but your symptoms sound amazingly similiar to mine when I was going through congested gallbladder and liver problems.

What most people don't know is that even when you have your gallbladder removed, your liver will still continue to make bile and stones, but now there is no place for the bile and stones to go, so they will either leak right into your bowel system, possibly causing bloating and a myriad of "sick" feelings, or/and they will continue to congest your liver, resulting in what is known as a "fatty liver."

The reason Supermom may have brought on these symptoms is because it is a major detoxer, and would probably have caused your liver to begin shedding toxins, which would result in those toxins being dumped directly into your intestines, instead of being processed in the gallbladder and then flushed in a "safer" form.

So... It sounds like you may be really toxic, and that your liver is in bad shape. I think if I were you, I would do the Water Cure for a few months, and try adding Supermom or Spirulina back into your diet occasionally, checking to see if you can handle it.

After the Water Cure for several months, I would consider a liver flush, being very careful to not begin eating too soon after the flush - wait at least 24 hours - because your biliary ducts will be full of stones and toxins, and you DON'T want them to get stuck there.

I would also take bee pollen, as it is 15% lecithin by volumn, and lecithin desolves fats and helps them move out of your liver. I would also drink lots of apple juice, which is high in mallic acid, and mallic acid works with lecithin to disolve fats.

All this is just my opinion after having gone through the gallbladder trial, and researched the various functions/illnesses of the gallbladder and liver.

Hope you feel better soon!

Rebekah

http://welltellme.com/discuss/index.php?action=search2  (Water Cure)

http://welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,228.0.html  (Liver Flush)
« Last Edit: May 01, 2006, 05:52:21 AM by BeeyoutifulGirl »

Offline LilyEilis

• Adept
« Reply #55 on: May 01, 2006, 08:57:12 AM »
Hello...

Gabe, thank you so much for posting all that...I really appreciate you taking the time to do so! 

However, it still leaves me a little mystified as to why SuperMom doesn't seem to be "working" very well for me.   None of the reasons why it wouldn't work seem to apply to me...I'm not overweight, don't have a constant source of toxicity, don't have a yeast overgrowth, etc.  I usually try to eat healthily (whole grains, no refined sugars or flours, no hydrogenated oils, preservatives, etc.), but I am currently working as a mother's helper/nanny to a family that eats HORRIBLY so that kind of limits how healthily I can eat...yet I wouldn't exactly label my diet as toxic!   But then again, I don't think it currently would fall under the "sufficient diet" category...so that leaves me even more confused!   The only thing I think it might be is that I only take one tablet a day (along with two or three Spirulina).  This is at my dad's recommendation after he saw the high percentages of some of the vitamins/minerals found in SuperMom...but would the half dosage possibly be what's making it seem ineffective?  I wondered that, so one day I took the regular two SuperMoms and six Spirulina...but that didn't seem to make a difference except that I had a slight headache for awhile after I took them...hmmm.  Anyway....sorry to ramble...I really want this to work and can't see any reason why it wouldn't...so I guess I'm just thinking out loud about it!  Any suggestions?
"...Jesus Christ, whom having not seen you love. Though now you do not see Him, yet believing, you rejoice with joy inexpressible and full of glory, receiving the end of your faith—the salvation of your souls." ~1 Peter 1:7f-9

Offline Gabriel Anast

• Administrator
  • Master
« Reply #56 on: May 01, 2006, 12:37:23 PM »
OK,  ;) I had this suspicion... so I looked through the "Nice to Meet you thread..."

If (by chance) you are 19, in good health, and have a history of good food, few perscription meds, and low stress... you might not feel much of a boost from Supermom!

I hate to say it, but the Supermom "boost" is largely from systemic detoxification! I am not saying that it isn't doing anything for you... to the contrary it is still feeding you with a wonderful complement of much needed vitamins, minerals, and other gooddies.

The bottom line is that Supermom is not an energy supplement in the strict sense. There is no Ginseng or Ephedra, no Guarana or even Ginkgo! All Supermom does is clean, scrub, help build and tone... and that is it.

Now I will say that the wonderful amount of Vitamin B's in Supermom may keep you up a bit if you take it before bed, but that's about all. Many people have significantly compromised systems by the time they are 25. Pregnancy only complicates things. For people in that situation, a strong multi/detoxifier is a huge help.

You did mention one interesting thing, and that was your headache which is a common detox sign. Your headache may have been something else, but it could well have been some detox.

I would try this: lay off Supermom and take only Spirulina at regular dose for a week. Spirulina is in itself a great detoxifier, and should on its own give you a bit of a boost.

If you have headaches or other detox symptoms make note of them, and how long they last.

Next try the regular dose of Supermom for a week and see how or if it differs. This should be more of a boost as there are so many vitamins, minerals, etc. in addition to the Spirulina.

The amounts of vitamins in Supermom are well above US RDA... but do some study on exactly what RDA is and how it is determined... then look at studies for particular vitamins or minerals and you will see that the amounts in Supermom are pretty close to what the average adult should need.

For you, a good way to boost your general energy would likely be to build muscle tone and increase your cardio-vascular efficiency. That is true for everyone, but many people are so compromised that they cannot move directly to that next step. You, however can... and should! One easy way to do this is to walk as much as you can... even long distances with a friend if possible. Swimming is also great, and while you are young (and unmarried I would guess) you should take the time to perfect your physiology... I mean to specifically work on getting physically stronger, and to build your endurance...

You will really appreciate this when you have two kids, one on the way, and dinner to make! (At least that's what my wife says! Oh, wait, she's saying something else... Oh, OK, I guess we're going out tonight! :D)

--gabe

Offline homeschooltheheart

• Adept
    • The VBS Express
« Reply #57 on: May 01, 2006, 01:06:57 PM »
 :D That was very funny Mr. Rebekah's hubby  :D!!

I had headaches for almost two solid weeks after starting the Supermom vitamins.  They did go away.  My hubby had them, but not as long.  My sister quit taking them, because she couldn't deal with the headaches even after I told her they would eventually stop.

Offline LilyEilis

• Adept
« Reply #58 on: May 01, 2006, 02:59:49 PM »
Wow...thank you, Gabe, for such an in-depth reply, I really appreciate you taking the time to answer so specifically (that's almost exactly what I said at the beginning of my last post, but still applies to this one...!)

And great research!  "By chance", I AM "in good health, and have a history of good food, few perscription meds, and low stress"...but I'm actually 20 now (birthday last Wednesday)....however I'm guessing that drastic age difference doesn't make a difference in your "diagnosis"! 

That's interesting about the SuperMom "boost" being mostly from detoxification...even just by reading the ingredients, you can tell that it isn't an energy supplement, but I guess I just expected it to work that way after all the rave reviews from so many people! So even if I don't have much to detoxify and therefore don't experience many symptoms of that kind...is it still detoxifying what little it needs to?  And would taking it consistently therefore keep my body "clean"?  (if any of those questions make any sense!)

One thing that I was concerned about my headache after taking two SuperMoms, was that it possibly could be because my body was overdosed on vitamins...is that possible?   But, like you said, SuperMom has close to what an average adult needs vitamin-wise...but would headaches be a sign of vitamin overdosage or are they most probably detox symptoms? 

"...build muscle tone and increase your cardio-vascular efficiency."  Exercise?!  NOOO!!  :o :P  You're right though (and you sound like my dad!)...exercise helps no matter what...I just wish that it wasn't so boring!  I'm actually quite active and used to/still am a ballet dancer, but I just haven't officially "exercised" much lately...but walking IS good...and not usually as boring as "exercise"!

Okay...I'll stop with all the questions...sorry about that!  I DO realize that you aren't a doctor, etc. and so don't feel like you need to answer all my questions if you don't want to!  I will try what you said taking just Spirulina for a week and then just a regular dosage of SuperMom (should I supplement that with extra Spirulina?)...and hopefully that helps some!  If not...I guess I'll just have to resign myself to being too healthy...oh well!

Thank you again for all your help!

Offline Gabriel Anast

• Administrator
  • Master
« Reply #59 on: May 01, 2006, 03:25:47 PM »
Well, Happy Birthday, LilyEilis! Ballet... that is probably the ultimate muscle tone/strength activity I can think of, so I'd say you are on the right track!

About the headache... I don't think it could be from the vitamins... however it is difficult to tell. That is why I thought you might take only the Spirulina for a week and see how that goes. I think that the headache might actually be from the Spirulina. This is actually a common detox symptom especially with Spirulina, and I have searched to see if there is a "why" but I have not yet found one. I'd be interested in your results.

One thing you might benefit from more than Spirulina is Bee Pollen. Bee Pollen has a lot more protein than Spirulina (although Spirulina itself is no small contender in the protein arena). Bee Pollen has been used by athletes for many years, and though there are no significant studies on the effects, there are many coaches and athletes that swear by it.

Finally, you are in a great position to make a great "healthy foundation" for your life and the lives of those in your future family! Keep on discovering... it is a trek that will pay out nicely, I assure you!

--gabe