Author Topic: SuperMom MultiVitamins: FAQs & Answers  (Read 134592 times)

Offline shannymack22

• Wide Eyed
SuperMom MultiVitamins: FAQs & Answers
« on: March 22, 2006, 02:44:14 PM »
are supermom tablets organic?

Offline creekmom

• Learning
Re: SuperMom MultiVitamins: FAQs & Answers
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2006, 05:56:22 PM »
Hi,

I have just been reading about these two products and was wondering do you have to take the spirulina in addition to the Supermom tablets to get all the benefits of the Spirulina?  Is 250 mg of the Spirulina enough in the Supermom tablets?  Hope this makes sense.  I am so excited to have found this information.  Thanks.

Elizabeth

Offline ForeverGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Master
  • BoogBug
    • WellTellMe
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2006, 06:57:27 PM »
are supermom tablets organic?

No. Although Supermom is made from high quality ingredients, it is not certified Organic.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2007, 12:53:27 PM by healthybratt »
Honey Sunny in complete exasperation:
"JOE!!! You DOUGHNUT COCONUT COCONUT COCONUT!!!"

Offline Gabe Rising

• Administrator
  • Master
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2006, 11:02:50 PM »
Hi,

I have just been reading about these two products and was wondering do you have to take the spirulina in addition to the Supermom tablets to get all the benefits of the Spirulina?  Is 250 mg of the Spirulina enough in the Supermom tablets?  Hope this makes sense.  I am so excited to have found this information.  Thanks.

Elizabeth

I think the Supermom is enough for a healthy, normal person. I also take Spirulina tabs though, especially on very demanding days. The Spirulina really gives me an extra boost.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2007, 12:53:51 PM by healthybratt »

Offline Gabe Rising

• Administrator
  • Master
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2006, 07:50:44 AM »
I am interested in the Supermom Tabs. However, I currently take the Juice Plus for adults and wondered how these are different. Would it be safe to take both at the same time?

Thanks, K__

Offline Gabe Rising

• Administrator
  • Master
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2006, 07:54:42 AM »
I am interested in the Supermom Tabs. However, I currently take the Juice Plus for adults and wondered how these are different. Would it be safe to take both at the same time?

Thanks, K__

Taking both Supermom and the JuicePlus or most other Multi-Vitamin supplements should be fine, however, realize that Supermom is a multivitamin just like whatever you are taking. As a matter of fact they are probably very similar. The difference with Supermom is that is contains Spirulina which really enhances the bio-availability... in other words the Spirulina really helps the vitamins to get where they need to go in your body so they can do their work!

You might try taking a week off your vitamin to take the Supermom instead and see if you can tell a difference between the two... then continue to take the one that seems to work best.

--gabe

« Last Edit: June 29, 2007, 12:54:24 PM by healthybratt »

Offline Gabe Rising

• Administrator
  • Master
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2006, 10:17:56 AM »
Do you suggest taking either the Supermom or Spirulina?  Would you think it best to take Spirulina alone if already taking another multivitamin?  Do you primarily recommend the Supermom for pregnant women, or anyone who is needing an extra boost?

K__

Offline Gabe Rising

• Administrator
  • Master
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2006, 10:19:05 AM »
Do you suggest taking either the Supermom or Spirulina?  Would you think it best to take Spirulina alone if already taking another multivitamin?  Do you primarily recommend the Supermom for pregnant women, or anyone who is needing an extra boost?

K__

Supermom is good for anyone (even men actually) as a great Multi-Vitamin. The energy boost comes from the enhanced ability of the vitamins and minerals to get to where they are needed. This helps clean out toxins and build tissues... the energy boost is from a cleaner body!

You can take it with extra Spirulina (we do) or not.

And yes (as above) you can also take Spirulina with your regular Milti-Vitamin for enhanced bioavailability.

--gabe
« Last Edit: June 29, 2007, 12:54:46 PM by healthybratt »

Offline dmgauze

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2006, 11:57:16 AM »
Just read an article in NGJ about Spirulina.  Maybe I'm not looking in the right place to find the differences.  Can anyone help on this?  Thanks!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2006, 05:38:06 PM »
Ingredients list from Super Mom label

Amount Per Serving    % Daily Value
Beta-Carotene (as pro-Vitamin A 6 mg)     10,000 IU      200%
Vitamin C (from Calcium Ascorbate)     500 mg      833%
Vitamin D (as Ergocalciferol)     200 IU      50%
Vitamin E (as d-alpha Tocopheryl Succinate)     200 IU      667%
Vitamin K (from Green Foods)     25 mcg      31%
Thiamine (from Thiamine HCI) (Vitamin B-1)     50 mg      3333%
Riboflavin (Vitamin B-2)     50 mg      2941%
Niacin (as Niacinamide) (Vitamin B-3)     50 mg      250%
Vitamin B-6 (as Pyridoxine HCI)     50 mg      2500%
Folate (Folic Acid)     400 mcg      100%
Vitamin B-12 (as Cyanocobalamin)     100 mcg      1667%
Biotin     100 mcg      33%
Pantothenic Acid     50 mg      500%
Calcium (from Calcium Carbonate and Calcium Ascorbate)     100 mg      10%
Iron (from AAC*)     10 mg      56%
Iodine (from Kelp)     150 mcg      100%
Magnesium (from Magnesium Oxide and AAC*)     50 mg      13%
Zinc (from AAC*)     15 mg      100%
Selenium (from AAC*)     50 mcg      71%
Copper (from AAC*)     1 mg      50%
Manganese (from AAC*)     5 mg      250%
Chromium (from Yeast-free GTF)     100 mcg      83%
Molybdenum (from AAC*)     50 mcg      67%
Potassium (from AAC*)     50 mg      1%
Boron (from AAC*)     1 mg      †
Vanadium (from AAC*)     50 mcg      †
Choline (from Choline Bitartrate)     50 mg      †
Inositol     50 mg      †
PABA     30 mg      †
Spirulina     250 mg      †
Chlorella (Broken Cell Wall)     250 mg      †
Barley Grass (Organic)     250 mg      †
Alfalfa Juice Concentrate     100 mg      †
Octocosanol (Wheat Free)     100 mcg      †
Eleuthero (Eleutherococcus senticosus) (Root)     50 mg      †
Citrus Bioflavonoids (37% Total Bioflavonoids as Hesperidin)     50 mg      †
Rutin     25 mg      †
Psyllium Husk Fiber     50 mg      †
Echinacea purpurea (root)     50 mg      †
Apple Pectin     25 mg      †
Betaine HCI     25 mg      †
Glutamic Acid     25 mg      †
Papain (from Papaya)     25 mg      †
Lipase     10 mg      †
Amylase     10 mg      †
Chlorophyll     9 mg      †
Percent Daily Values are based on 2,000 calorie diet.
† Daily Value not established.
AAC* Amino Acid Chelate

http://www.beeyoutiful.com/goodness/product_info.php?cPath=1&products_id=5
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline kaylhew

• Learning
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2006, 11:29:49 AM »
I am interested in the SuperMom vitamins - they sound phenomenal.  However, I have some questions after comparing the ingredients with my current womens multi-vitamin.  My multi contains almost all the same ingredients on the list down to Zinc.  The amounts of Folate, Magnesium nd Zinc are he same in both vitamins, but my multi contains more Calcium and Iron. My multi has 100% of the daily recommended values for most of the ingredients, but SuperMom seems to have much more than the recommended values based on the same 2000 calorie diet. I have heard it is possible to take too much vitamin, and am concerned with the high amounts in the SuperMom vitamins (especially with the addition of Spirulina which I understand increases potency).  I am also curious about why there are such lower amounts of Calcium and Iron (because those two are so important for women to have).  Can anyone shed light on these questions for me?  Thanks!

Offline ForeverGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Master
  • BoogBug
    • WellTellMe
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2006, 12:08:43 PM »
I have heard it is possible to take too much vitamin, and am concerned with the high amounts in the SuperMom vitamins (especially with the addition of Spirulina which I understand increases potency).  I am also curious about why there are such lower amounts of Calcium and Iron (because those two are so important for women to have).  Can anyone shed light on these questions for me?  Thanks!

This thread will help answer your question:

http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,13.0.html

As far as the Calcium... I take Bon Ami along with Supermom because I have back problems and arthritis, and feel like a need extra Cal, Mag, and Boron.

I believe most iron, taken in tablet forum, is hard to break down and most of it doesn't become bio-available to your body. However, Supermom iron is taken WITH Spirulina, the ulitmate bio-availability medium. So the iron you get in Supermom should be enough - unless you have an unsual deficiency. In that case, I recommend you take extra iron with Spirulina.

As the two thread links will show you, overdosing on vitamins is not likely unless we're talking about A or K.
There is no A in Supermom. There IS beta-carotene, which provides vit A, but it does not stay in your body to reach toxic levels.

And the K in Supermom is not synthetic K3 (which can be toxic) - it is natural K that comes in the Spirulina. Also, theraputic doses of natural vitamins are much higher than synthetic vit. doses (up to 1,000 micrograms per day). Follow this link to find out more about vit K:

http://chiroweb.com/archives/11/13/23.html

Hope that helps.

http://www.healthy.net/asp/templates/article.asp?PageType=article&ID=2140

Here's another good Vitamin K link, more indepth...
« Last Edit: June 29, 2007, 12:57:41 PM by healthybratt »

Offline ladi_dy

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2006, 01:24:41 PM »
I started taking SuperMom 7 days ago.  After day 5, I started getting a rash on both my inner thighs.  Two days later, it is very itchy and is a larger area.  Would this be because of taking Supermom and detoxing, or would this be a negative reaction?  I have continued taking the rec. dose, but I'm not sure if I should keep on and see if it goes away.  Any suggestions?  Has this happened to anyone else?  Thank you.

Offline ForeverGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Master
  • BoogBug
    • WellTellMe
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2006, 06:03:12 PM »
I have not heard of negative reactions like this, and it does sound like detoxing, but...

Have you had any other detox symptoms? If not, maybe you *should* try laying off the Supermom for a week, and then easing back into it with one tablet per day.

You might also cut out the most toxic foods; grain fed meats, unorganic popcorn, sugars, and preserved foods.

I got a rash on my inner thighs for about a week after my second child was born, and I believe it was a detox symptom. It went away after 7 -10 days.

Offline feismom4

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2006, 09:35:24 AM »
I was looking forward to the health benefits of SuperMom, but unfortunately it seems to be causing my blood pressure to rise to dangerous levels. :'( I am currently medicated for HBP and need to watch it carefully.

I am wondering if SuperMom vitamins have any stimulants in them that could be causing the problem. Could it be the spirulina?

I would appreciate any advice or research you have to share regarding high blood pressure and SuperMom.

Thanks!

Offline Gabe Rising

• Administrator
  • Master
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2006, 02:26:42 PM »
Actually Spirulina is commonly reported to either "have no effect" on blood pressure, or to "lower blood pressure." I don't think there is anything in Supermom that would raise blood pressure, however, it is possible that if you are taking the Supermom at the same time as you take your blood pressure medication, the Supermom is "detoxing" your body of the blood pressure medication!

First, quit taking the Supermom and see if your BP re-adjusts. Then start taking the Supermom again at a reduced dose, and take it at a different time than you take your BP meds. If things stay in balance, try taking the recommended dose to see if your BP is still stable.

If things get out of whack again, write back, as we are very interested in your results.

As an aside, Grapefruit juice is known to help lower blood pressure, however, it is also known to enhance or decrease the effects of certain medications.

Here is an article on using grapefruit to lower blood pressure:

http://www.theallineed.com/health/06031702.htm

Although, if you use a "Calcium Antagonist/Calcium Channel Blocker" grapefruit juice will actually increase the bioavailability of the medicine making it effects stronger, and its side-effects stronger! Here are some common ones: Felodipine (Plendil), Nicardipine (Cardene), Nifedipine (Adalat, Procardia), Nimodipine (Nimotop), Nisoldipine (Sular), Verapamil (Calan, Covera-HS, Isoptin, Verelan)

See this page for the dangers of grapefruit juice and some medications:

http://www.internationalclinic.co.kr/MI/content.asp?idx=70

Also, here is a really great article on natural hypertension options:

http://curezone.com/dis/1.asp?C0=60

--gabe

Offline petrimama

• Master
    • My blog...
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2006, 04:51:17 AM »
I just wanted to point out that when taking any supplements, you alone are responsible for monitoring the amounts and ingredients.  During my own recent reading I found that (and am still trying to make a decision about) combining my usual multi with Supermom might be giving me too much selenium, as well as calcium and some b-vitamins.  I still need to look into this, especially because I am pregnant, and I will come to my own decision as to what I will be taking in addition to Supermom, if anything.  (In the meantime, I'm probably driving the Tallents crazy with all of my questions!)  You might want to do your own research as well, as everyone's body responds individually to a certain degree.             ~L

Offline 6littlelambs

• Learning
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2006, 02:51:33 AM »
I have ordered the supermom tablets. I have been taking 2 Tbsp a day of Jane Juice(my own version of Jungle Juice lol) Is it ok to take both? If yes should I split up when I take them? I don't want to do too much but hey I need all the help I can get  ;D
Thanks
Renee

Offline Pure

• Learning
    • Juice Plus
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2006, 08:48:22 AM »
K,
You wondered about the difference between the Supermom tablets and Juice Plus for adults and if it would be safe to take them at the same time.  The difference is that Juice Plus capsules, chewables, and Gummies are not vitamins.  JP is 17 different fruits, vegetables, and whole grains that have been juiced, dried, and encapsulated.  I was juicing my own produce (carrots, spinach, parsley) when I discovered JP and was thrilled that they were going to do all the work for me of cleaning, chopping, juicing, etc.  Anyway, adding JP to your diet is the next best thing to adding all of those fruits and veggies to your diet.  So, yes it is safe to take along with your Supermom or regular vitamin supplement.  In fact, there is a study underway at the U. of Mississippi measuring pregnancy outcomes (especiall pre-eclampsia) using Juice Plus capsules for adults vs. a placebo.  Both groups of women are also taking pre-natal vitamins.  Hope this is helpful.
KHS

Offline StephTallent

• Adept
    • Beeyoutiful
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2006, 07:26:44 PM »
Had a lady e-mail us recently with this question.  I have never experienced anything like what she was describing myself but though maybe some of you here would have some insight.  :)

I received my order on Monday for the Supermom vitamins and spirulina. I began taking the Supermom 2 daily with breakfast for the last 5 days. But I have had trouble eating ever since. My stomach feels like it is totally full all of the time (that miserable like I stuffed myself too much feeling and that is after getting down only 1/4 of a peanut butter sandwich). It stays like that all day and I am barely able to eat. Although I do feel hungry at meals, only a few bites gives me that stuffed feeling. I have always taken vitamins and a daily mulitvitamin before and never had this happen (I am even used to a greening vitamin with Spirunlina in it). Also, I do not have much extra weight on me at this point and can't really afford to lose weight. What do you recommend about this? Thank you.
Do not become so focused on where you are, and the destination you forget from whence you came. Concentrate not on what is to be attained so that you forget to extend encouragement, love and help to those behind.

Offline Wife, Mom, Teacher

• Learning
    • Wife, Mom, Teacher
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2006, 06:15:47 AM »
What happens when you "detox"?  My husband and I started taking the SuperMom tabs last week and neither of us has noticed any change...  Maybe we are just so healthy already!  Ha ha ha ;D

Offline StephTallent

• Adept
    • Beeyoutiful
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2006, 08:06:02 AM »
My hubby and I did not experience any noticeable detox symptoms either! :) Actually, from the feedback we've gotten those who experience noticeable or severe detox symptoms are in the minority to those that don't. 
Do not become so focused on where you are, and the destination you forget from whence you came. Concentrate not on what is to be attained so that you forget to extend encouragement, love and help to those behind.

Offline mishy

• Master
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2006, 09:20:56 PM »
I just started taking SuperMom.  My urine is now a bright yellow.  Is this good or bad?  I had this happen to me with the prenatal prescription and thought they were just going right through me so I went out and bought some capsule ones and didn't have any pretty color shows after that.  So whazzup with the SuperMom?  Is this a detox indicator or am I just sending these vitamins on their merry way??? 

Offline mrsroeser

• Adept
  • my loving family :)
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2006, 03:25:09 PM »
My son and I went almost completely yeast free about a month ago right about the same time I started taking the supermom vitamins.. We've only had yeast a couple of times since and boy does it ever taste STRONG to me now!!  :o I never noticed it before... We have a great local bakery that makes natural sour dough bread with organic wheat flour... it's so yummy.. Anyway... since the change, I've had sooo much energy!!! ;D :o I used to struggle with sluggishness so much.. I used to be the biggest coffee fiend!!  I hardly need a whole cup in the morning now!  I used to feel so tired in the afternoons and felt like I didn't even have enough energy for my ONE child... I used to go to bed by 8:30-9:00 when my husband is such a night owl.. (bad combo for intimacy  ;) ) Now I'm not even sleepy by the time I put my little guy to bed at 8:30... I'm completely awake WITH energy until my husband is ready for bed... This has not been the case since we got married five years ago!  I should add that I always remember being tired and sluggish as a teenager and even a child too.. It's so strange that I have so much energy!! I was joking with my sister that there must be crack in those vitamins!!!  It actually had me so worried that I kept re-reading the ingredients!  Anyway.....I've also lost a couple pounds off my all ready thin frame... My best friend who also started the yeast free life style and vitamins at the same time, came over to my house last week and I couldn't believe her face!  It was so much thinner- not because she lost weight but because it wasn't bloated like it is a lot of times!  She also has had a lot of energy... We were laughing at how happy we have been! Do you think this is all because of those vitamins or the no-yeast thing??  or maybe a combination of the two?  Let me know what you think... I thought I would report to all of you how much of an effect I've noticed since making these changes at the same time.  Very encouraging in my opinion!!

Offline ForeverGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Master
  • BoogBug
    • WellTellMe
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2006, 06:33:48 PM »
"I was joking with my sister that there must be crack in those vitamins!!!  It actually had me so worried that I kept re-reading the ingredients!"

ROFLOL!!! The funny thing is - you're not the first person that has said that! Somebody else called recently to ask if we were putting drugs in the Supermom vits!!  ;D ;D ;D

I believe your yeast-free diet had a lot to do with the way you are feeling now too, but I still remember the drastic change in the way I felt when I first started taking these vitamins. I felt like I'd developed a different personality overnight. My mom said "what's happened to you - you're 8 months pregnant and buzzing around like you have all the energy in the world - I've never seen you act like this - even when you were a kid!" ::)

I'm glad it's working for you !

Rebekah

Offline lewisquiverfull

• Adept
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2006, 06:32:03 PM »
Taking vitamins with iron make me very nauseus (?) Is there a SuperMom vitamin without the iron, or what do you suggest???

Offline Gabe Rising

• Administrator
  • Master
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2006, 07:40:01 PM »
Taking vitamins with iron make me very nauseus (?) Is there a SuperMom vitamin without the iron, or what do you suggest???

Hmmm... we are working on "Superdad" which won't have Iron... but probably will have other stuff you won't want.

Your best bet it to take another multi that you like alond with Spirulina tabs. I am not sure this will work as well as Supermom... but it might... and it will probably work a lot better than taking the multi alone.

--gabe
« Last Edit: June 29, 2007, 01:25:53 PM by healthybratt »

Offline LilyEilis

• Adept
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2006, 06:32:39 AM »
So...about a week ago, I received my order of Supermom and spirulina (and Tummy Tune-up, but that doesn't apply to this post!) and immeadiately started taking them.   At my dad's recommendation (because of the high percentage of some vitamins in it), I started out taking half a dosage (one Supermom and two or three spirulinas a day).  I continued this for a few days, but didn't really notice a difference....either good or bad...no extra energy, but then no real detox symptoms either, other than the occasional sugar/"toxic" (my phrasing) headache when I ate something bad, but I've had those before taking Supermom.  I decided this might be because of the half dosage so one day I took a whole dosage (two Supermoms and six spirulinas)...and didn't notice any difference then either, so I went back to the half dose.  What is the problem?  Am I just not giving it enough time?  And do you all take two Supermoms a day?  And how many spirulinas should you supplement it with?  Any help would be great...thank you!
"...Jesus Christ, whom having not seen you love. Though now you do not see Him, yet believing, you rejoice with joy inexpressible and full of glory, receiving the end of your faith—the salvation of your souls." ~1 Peter 1:7f-9

Offline mrsroeser

• Adept
  • my loving family :)
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2006, 06:59:56 AM »
Hi.. I've been taking two supermom's everyday since I've gotten them... Never ordered anything to supplement them like the spirulina tabs... I've had great results... Yesterday was the only day that I only took one.. (because I forgot to take the second one)... I didn't feel as energetic as I have been.. Also, I always take them in the morning... I don't know if any of that helps.. but that's what I do and have had good results..

Offline LilyEilis

• Adept
« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2006, 08:05:31 AM »
Hi.. I've been taking two supermom's everyday since I've gotten them... Never ordered anything to supplement them like the spirulina tabs... I've had great results... Yesterday was the only day that I only took one.. (because I forgot to take the second one)... I didn't feel as energetic as I have been.. Also, I always take them in the morning... I don't know if any of that helps.. but that's what I do and have had good results..

Hello mrsroeser...thanks so much for the reply!  So do you take both Supermoms at the same time?  Or do you stagger them (if you know what I mean)?  I know you mentioned that you take them in the morning, but then you said that you forgot to take the second one that day, so I wasn't sure!  Thanks you!
"...Jesus Christ, whom having not seen you love. Though now you do not see Him, yet believing, you rejoice with joy inexpressible and full of glory, receiving the end of your faith—the salvation of your souls." ~1 Peter 1:7f-9