Author Topic: What beans/seeds are good for sprouting?  (Read 19648 times)

Offline southmom2k

• Adept
What beans/seeds are good for sprouting?
« on: June 18, 2008, 08:44:38 AM »
I was looking into getting some other seeds besides alfafa to sprout. Anyone sprout other things?
Want to SAVE $5 on your first order at iherb.com??
Enter KAN020 at checkout!

Check out my etsy shop!
https://www.etsy.com/shop/southmom3kids

Offline skelliott2

• Adept
Re: What beans/seeds are good for sprouting?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2008, 01:48:50 PM »
Sunflower seeds sprout nicely.  So do lentils.  I bought a salad mix from my coop, it has lentils, alfalfa, something really, really small, like poppy seeds or maybe sesame seeds.  My favorites, though, are alfalfa and sunflower seeds. 

Offline mom24boys

• Adept
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2008, 01:56:42 PM »
radish seeds and clover seeds sprout lovely and are tasty for salads and sandwiches.
Mung beans are good for oriental stir fries and the like.

cecac

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2008, 04:48:42 PM »
Oh goody--I was just thinking of trying sunflower so I'm glad to see others really like them.

Mung is my all time favorite, as long as they aren't left in the sun for very long otherwise they can be a bit strong tasting.  They're big, too, so I like that in a salad, nice and crunchy.

Gotta go get some mungs and sunflower seeds to soak tomorrow morning, meant to do it today :P.

Offline crystal

• Adept
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2008, 07:53:24 AM »
I just bought a pound of broccoli seeds from Azure.  They are nummy!  Great in salad. 

Offline southmom2k

• Adept
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2008, 08:28:15 AM »
What kind of sunflower seeds do you use? Raw ones? I have raw organic ones I was going to try.

Check out my etsy shop!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2008, 02:19:44 AM »
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline skelliott2

• Adept
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2008, 05:18:25 PM »
What kind of sunflower seeds do you use? Raw ones? I have raw organic ones I was going to try.

Yes, raw, organic.  If they're roasted they won't sprout.  They're easy to find.  You can get them at the bulk bins in the HFS. 

Offline Mrs. B

• Master
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2008, 02:32:51 AM »
If it is a bean or a seed that hasn't been cooked or irradiated, then you can sprout it.  Organic is always best, as always. 
Kristin did a podcast on sprouts (I know, I was there!) the first link is a transcript with the other 2 tutorials...
http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/seethebluesky/506101/
http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/seethebluesky/482171/
http://potterswheelschool.blogspot.com/2008/03/beans-101.html

Offline skelliott2

• Adept
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2008, 03:41:39 PM »
Where do ya'll get mung bean seeds??  I would love to sprout some, but don't know where to get them. 

cecac

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2008, 04:05:48 PM »

Yes, raw, organic.  If they're roasted they won't sprout.  They're easy to find.  You can get them at the bulk bins in the HFS. 

But ya know what dd17 told me?  They need to have the hull on.  I was going to have her start some from my organic sunflower seed stock, and she said I couldn't.

Do you all confirm or deny?  Have you sprouted hulless ones?

Cara

Offline skelliott2

• Adept
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2008, 04:07:05 PM »
I sprout the hulled ones from the bin.  They're just raw, unsalted.  They sprout great for me!!

Anyone know where to get mung bean seeds??  Thanks!

cecac

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2008, 04:10:20 PM »
Where do ya'll get mung bean seeds??  I would love to sprout some, but don't know where to get them. 

They have them in the bulk section of our local health food store, but this is Austin, TX.  Land of Whole Foods beginnings.  I remember way back when that I used to buy a smoothie on my lunch break in Austin at the Whole Foods.  It had a rickety screen door that slammed shut.  Wish I'd invested in their stock. :o

Now, we have two HFS chains, and Whole Foods is definitely the upscale one.  I mean, a parking garage, the works.  I bet they have mung beans, too, but I go to the less trendy HFS and can get them there.

Okay, I must be tired.  I digressed there a little. :D
Cara

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2008, 05:52:54 AM »
I get mung beans at the Asian food mart, BUT they are usually split like peas and I don't think these would necessarily work, but I thought it might give you an idea where to start.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline skelliott2

• Adept
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2008, 02:50:08 PM »
You were right, Cara.  They were right in the bulk bin at Whole Foods.  I sprouted some this week.  Yum!  Thanks for the idea!

Offline southmom2k

• Adept
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2008, 09:17:30 AM »
Does anyone sprout Brown mustard seeds?

Check out my etsy shop!

Offline southmom2k

• Adept
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2008, 05:53:05 AM »
bump...

Check out my etsy shop!

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2008, 06:35:28 AM »
The Sprouting Book, by Ann Wigmore is an excellent book that is easy to understand.  It explains different seeds that are good for sprouting. HTH!

Offline brightspot

• Adept
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2009, 10:11:33 AM »
I tried alfalfa sprouts this week with my 5 year old. They were great! and so easy. We ate them on hamburgers instead of lettuce! So much better than any I've ever bought at the store. Now I hope to try some other seeds.

Offline his.silly.wife

• Master
  • Psalm 100:5
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2009, 03:03:32 PM »
I want to try sprouting, but one of the sources I read said I should use seeds that are specifically for sprouting.  Do I need to special seeds? If so, where can I find them?

Thanks.
Like NoGreaterJoy?  Sign up on fellowshipdirectory.com to meet others like you.

Offline brightspot

• Adept
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2009, 04:16:57 PM »
I want to try sprouting, but one of the sources I read said I should use seeds that are specifically for sprouting.  Do I need to special seeds? If so, where can I find them?

Thanks.
I bought mine from Frontier. Some friends and myself order together to get a better deal. they have a website though: www.frontiercoop.com/wholesale Their phone # is 1-800-669-3275. Other than that, I would check for a health food store.

Offline Mrs. B

• Master
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2009, 05:53:04 PM »

Thanks.
The main thing is to use seeds that are for food, and are not chemically treated as some for planting maybe.
This would include buying the 'sprout packs' that are available at the health food store or thru catalogs.
They don't have to be specifically for sprouting, but make sure they are a food grade source.
My beans and other grains are not for sprouting, but that doesn't mean that they don't sprout beautifully and add further to their nutrition with this process.

Offline his.silly.wife

• Master
  • Psalm 100:5
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2009, 10:13:42 AM »
Thank you!  This is encouraging.  I'll try sprouting in the next couple of days.
Like NoGreaterJoy?  Sign up on fellowshipdirectory.com to meet others like you.