Natural Health > Training & Development

Traveling with baby...

(1/3) > >>

annikaed:
I am traveling by airplane, by myself, with my sweet three month old.  I am praying that all goes well however, I would like to be prepared.  Does anyone have any suggestions?  I am not a fan of medicating her by any means, but I thought some of you might have an all natural solution.  Besides prayer, that is!   Let me know if there is already a thread for this, otherwise any words of wisdom are welcome.

miamama:
If your baby nurses, I would suggest you be ready to nurse through takeoff and landing.  These are the times when the changing air pressure is hard on ears.  I flew with my (then) 8 month old and two year old once.  Both cried and cried about their ears.  Both are finger suckers, and neither would do that, and baby wouldn't burse either.  Everyone was really kind and understanding.  On the flight home, I had medicine, suckers, sippy cups.......... and a bottle full of juice/water for the baby (though she had NEVER had a bottle before)  -- all just in case.  Baby drank the bottle happily through takeoff and slept the rest of the way.
HTH

mommyjen:
My hubby and I traveled with our baby, 2 and 3 yo's from Oregon to Missisipi then CA and the back home for a little over a two week trip visiting Grandmas. My baby had a little cough starting out on the trip and about two days into it we realized this cough was much more serious than a cold. All of my children came down with pertussis/whooping cough while traveling! Um, it was awful and we infected 4 states with this childhood disease (we had a layover in Texas :P.) All this to say, consider taking some immune boosting herbs (baby will get these through your breastmilk if you are nursing) before, while and a bit after traveling and try to be careful about picking up germs. Washing hands is great too! 

annikaed:
Sorry I am new to the "all natural" world.  What immune boosting vitamins do you suggest?

his.silly.wife:

--- Quote from: miamama on June 14, 2008, 08:04:23 AM ---If your baby nurses, I would suggest you be ready to nurse through takeoff and landing.  These are the times when the changing air pressure is hard on ears.

--- End quote ---

Depending on the airline, they may have guidelines on how you are to hold the baby during take off and landing to ensure the child is secure.  I've flown several times with a nursing baby and I don't think any two airlines were alike.

You can massage just under the ears to help relieve the the pressure build up.

I know that in the news in the last year or so, there have been reports about nursing mothers getting kicked off of airplanes...something is really odd about those stories.  Whenever I've traveled with a nursing baby, I've never had a problem, I just attempted to do it discretely and not draw attention to myself or the baby.  It's kinda a challenge in cramped quarters, but it can be done.

My children have never really taken to a pacifier, but when we travel, I always have one with me.  Sometimes it helps, other times it just an amusing toy.  One time the baby didn't want it, but my 2 year old was most grateful for it.

Make sure you travel with extra diapers and a change of clothes for baby in your carry-on, it seems that this will be the day the diaper will overflow.  Murphy's Law.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version