Author Topic: Traveling with baby...  (Read 6585 times)

Offline annikaed

• Learning
  • loved by annika
    • purl.around
Traveling with baby...
« on: June 14, 2008, 07:03:22 AM »
I am traveling by airplane, by myself, with my sweet three month old.  I am praying that all goes well however, I would like to be prepared.  Does anyone have any suggestions?  I am not a fan of medicating her by any means, but I thought some of you might have an all natural solution.  Besides prayer, that is!   Let me know if there is already a thread for this, otherwise any words of wisdom are welcome.

Offline miamama

• Adept
    • Picking Up Socks for Jesus
Re: Traveling with baby...
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2008, 08:04:23 AM »
If your baby nurses, I would suggest you be ready to nurse through takeoff and landing.  These are the times when the changing air pressure is hard on ears.  I flew with my (then) 8 month old and two year old once.  Both cried and cried about their ears.  Both are finger suckers, and neither would do that, and baby wouldn't burse either.  Everyone was really kind and understanding.  On the flight home, I had medicine, suckers, sippy cups.......... and a bottle full of juice/water for the baby (though she had NEVER had a bottle before)  -- all just in case.  Baby drank the bottle happily through takeoff and slept the rest of the way.
HTH
Visit my blog   Picking Up Socks for Jesus
http://www.pickingupsocksforjesus.blogspot.com

Offline mommyjen

• Adept
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2008, 09:47:50 AM »
My hubby and I traveled with our baby, 2 and 3 yo's from Oregon to Missisipi then CA and the back home for a little over a two week trip visiting Grandmas. My baby had a little cough starting out on the trip and about two days into it we realized this cough was much more serious than a cold. All of my children came down with pertussis/whooping cough while traveling! Um, it was awful and we infected 4 states with this childhood disease (we had a layover in Texas :P.) All this to say, consider taking some immune boosting herbs (baby will get these through your breastmilk if you are nursing) before, while and a bit after traveling and try to be careful about picking up germs. Washing hands is great too! 
Billy's wife and mom to John, Charles, Gilbert, and Lewis.

Offline annikaed

• Learning
  • loved by annika
    • purl.around
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2008, 11:08:49 AM »
Sorry I am new to the "all natural" world.  What immune boosting vitamins do you suggest?

Offline his.silly.wife

• Master
  • Psalm 100:5
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2008, 11:40:23 AM »
If your baby nurses, I would suggest you be ready to nurse through takeoff and landing.  These are the times when the changing air pressure is hard on ears.

Depending on the airline, they may have guidelines on how you are to hold the baby during take off and landing to ensure the child is secure.  I've flown several times with a nursing baby and I don't think any two airlines were alike.

You can massage just under the ears to help relieve the the pressure build up.

I know that in the news in the last year or so, there have been reports about nursing mothers getting kicked off of airplanes...something is really odd about those stories.  Whenever I've traveled with a nursing baby, I've never had a problem, I just attempted to do it discretely and not draw attention to myself or the baby.  It's kinda a challenge in cramped quarters, but it can be done.

My children have never really taken to a pacifier, but when we travel, I always have one with me.  Sometimes it helps, other times it just an amusing toy.  One time the baby didn't want it, but my 2 year old was most grateful for it.

Make sure you travel with extra diapers and a change of clothes for baby in your carry-on, it seems that this will be the day the diaper will overflow.  Murphy's Law.
Like NoGreaterJoy?  Sign up on fellowshipdirectory.com to meet others like you.

Offline mommyjen

• Adept
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2008, 05:42:03 PM »
I'm so sorry...I just saw your question!

Echinacea is a potent immune stimulator. I would take 1,000- 2,000 mg in capsule form daily for 10 days. Stop for 3 to 5 days. Repeate dosage for another 10 days. I really like the brand Nature's way as it is so high quality but there are many good ones too.

Vitamin C -1,000 to 3,000 mg daily

HTH!
Billy's wife and mom to John, Charles, Gilbert, and Lewis.

Offline MichelleB

• Learning
  • Towing the broken jeep round the yard, redneck fun
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2008, 07:35:52 AM »
go on e ebay and get yourself a babybair.
It is a safty vest that you fit over the baby and then strap to your seatbelt. It makes holding you child safer in turbulance. I had no problems with flying for over 2hrs with a 18month old in my lap tis way. If you do bring a carseat make sure it is approved for airplains. Plus check you stroller at the gate (even if you carry your baby in the airport you can use the stroller as a luggage cart.).

http://babybair.com/
this is the site that tells you all about the vest, but i got mine off of ebay.com for less than $25.

Also you can take the airborn tablets that they sell at walmart and drug stores. I assume it would transfer in you milk just like everything else. My sons Dr recomended it for DS and he didn't get sick at all.

Remember even in you baby crys the whole flight most people on the plane are parents to and should understand. But let me tell you if you babe sleeps in the car the plain will have the exact same effect. try to get a flight around nap time that helps too.

Praying everything goes great!!
Ps113:9 He settles the barren woman as a happy mother of children
3 years unexplained infertility VS. GOD'S POWER!!!!
10-29-06
1-22-09

Offline Julia

• Master
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2008, 08:46:53 AM »
That sounds really nice, that safety vest MichelleB is talking about. I've just put my babies in my Baby Bjorn and buckled myself in. It's a little awkward and you can't put the tray down but if you don't want to pay for a seat it works. When you check in at the gate, you can ask if there are any extra seats for the baby so sometimes you can get those even if you didn't pay for one. If you are paying for a seat, you definitely want to bring her in a carseat and check your stroller at the gate. Don't load your stroller up with too much stuff and carry-ons or you'll be lugging it in your arms along with the baby as you get on the plane! And just a note for others who may be traveling with older children - it is so much easier to just check their carseats with your baggage! Lugging those things around the airports can be miserable, especially with multiple children and traveling by yourself, and when you're on the plane, you can just buckle them in with the lap belt and pull it real tight - maybe not as safe in the event of a small crash on the runway or something but that is very unlikely anyway! 

For her ears, I would give her a pacifier if she takes one, and if not, give her a bottle of water to suck on when you are taking off and landing. I would also carry some infant's tylenol with you. You most likely won't have to give it to her, but if on your first takeoff she is screaming because of her ears hurting, you may be glad to have it when you land and on other trips, so you can give it to her ahead of time. I've never had any problem with their ears. My only problem is that sometimes they don't sleep during the trip, and for some reason the pressure change when landing puts them to sleep, right as you are arriving!

Offline Sewbusy

• Adept
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2011, 09:59:56 PM »
hum maybe this is a good place to put this question. We are traveling in the middle of the night (all night actually) with a one year old. I use a sound spa (makes raining sounds) here at home and it has batteries so I want to take it with me (she will sleep so much better) Does any one know if I can carry this on with me. We leave tomorrow night so if any one can answer soon it would be SO appreciated (because I don't want to have to throw it away! I need it when I get there:))

Offline Sewbusy

• Adept
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2011, 11:08:27 PM »
Answered my own question.  Went through security without a hiccup.  They did inspect the bag it was in, but not a problem.

Offline his.silly.wife

• Master
  • Psalm 100:5
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2011, 03:28:23 AM »
I saw this while reading the news this morning and thought of this thread.  This is written by a flight attendant who has years of observing family travels, including travels with her own child.  The advice sounds  good to me.

http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2011/10/15/flight-attendants-top-recommended-carry-on-essentials-for-traveling-with/
Like NoGreaterJoy?  Sign up on fellowshipdirectory.com to meet others like you.