Author Topic: Hum, hum, HUMMUS!  (Read 48310 times)

Offline joyful_mommy03

• Adept
Re: Hum, hum, HUMMUS!
« Reply #60 on: June 03, 2008, 08:57:27 AM »
For you guys that started with dry beans - how much dry bean did you measure into the pot before soaking?  Is that the measurement being given in the recipe or is that the "after soaking" measurement?

Thanks a bunch!

(Modified because I thought of another question:  can someone tell me the quick version of why sprouting the garbanzo beans before making the hummus would be better?)

« Last Edit: June 03, 2008, 08:59:59 AM by joyful_mommy03 »

Offline Cheryl

• Learning
« Reply #61 on: June 03, 2008, 09:09:51 AM »
Other than nutritional value?   No GAS

Cheryl

(Modified because I thought of another question:  can someone tell me the quick version of why sprouting the garbanzo beans before making the hummus would be better?)

[/quote]

Offline LoveSunflowers

• Master
« Reply #62 on: June 03, 2008, 10:00:25 AM »
My recipe, which is a conglomerate of all the ones on here ;), uses two cups of chickpeas. I use dry beans and usually soak a one pound package. I cook in the crock pot and have enough beans for a double batch, four cups. Plus, extra for me and my little guy to have for lunch. Hope that helps. :)
Jess

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #63 on: June 03, 2008, 12:34:02 PM »
For you guys that started with dry beans - how much dry bean did you measure into the pot before soaking?  Is that the measurement being given in the recipe or is that the "after soaking" measurement?

Thanks a bunch!

2 cups (16oz bag) of dry chick peas makes approx 6 cups of cooked beans.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline beppyjo

• Adept
    • My Blog
« Reply #64 on: July 14, 2008, 01:04:09 PM »
I need a hummus expert ASAP!!!
Someone didn't read all the directions before cooking her garbonzo beans ::) and I cooked them before hulling them. I am now tediously going through and hulling them before I make them into hummus. They are still o.k. aren't they? Is there an easy and fast way to hull theses babies? Good grief, I can't believe how time consuming it is to try and hull them. I wanted to perfect a recipe and then make a big batch but if I make a big batch I will be hulling all day!  :o >:( I wanted to make the hummus tonight so any help would be much appreciated! TIA! :-*

Offline crystal

• Adept
« Reply #65 on: July 14, 2008, 01:15:08 PM »
beppyjo, can the garbanzos be pureed with the hulls on them?  I wouldn't know why not, if they are soft enough.

Offline Peg4Jesus7

• Adept
« Reply #66 on: July 14, 2008, 04:23:50 PM »
Other than nutritional value?   No GAS

Cheryl

Does sprouting really take away the gas factor?  I'm dealing with a very colicky 6-week-old baby and sitting here wishing I could make some hummus but can't afford any extra gas to deal with in her!!   :(  In fact, I'm experimenting with eliminating dairy, though food allergies don't run in our families, to see if that helps her little tummy.  (But that's another thread!)

And if it does eliminate gas, I need complete, detailed instructions!!  Thanks!
-Peg
"The LORD your God in your midst, The Mighty One, will save; He will rejoice over you with gladness, He will quiet you with His love, He will rejoice over you with singing.” Zeph. 3:17

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #67 on: August 18, 2008, 06:53:57 AM »
I didn't hull mine.  You get an occasional chunk, but didn't bother us.  I just blended them in.  If you really want to hull after cooking, this isn't uncommon.  My MIL says the way they hull the beans they make paste for rice cakes are cooked first and then pushed through a large metal strainer.  Takes the hulls out and pastes them all in the same step.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline *MommaJo*

• Master
« Reply #68 on: January 23, 2010, 11:10:44 AM »
Is it the garbanzo beans and tahini that make it hummus?  I mean, if I used, say pintos, and seasoned to taste, that'd just be bean dip, wouldn't it?

Offline HappyWifey

• Adept
    • Rejoicing Evermore
« Reply #69 on: January 23, 2010, 07:17:49 PM »
You don't need tahini to make hummus, I used a can of garbanzo beans and added in garlic, salt and some olive oil, ran it through the food processor until it was the desired consistency and taste. It tasted just like store bought only better. :)

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #70 on: January 24, 2010, 05:49:25 AM »
You don't need tahini to make hummus, I used a can of garbanzo beans and added in garlic, salt and some olive oil, ran it through the food processor until it was the desired consistency and taste. It tasted just like store bought only better. :)

wow, great idea! i don't really care for hummus, it's strange consistency and we had to mix it thoroughly with a hand mixer to make it usable.  it's also so expensive! think i'll try your way next time. thanks!
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline HappyWifey

• Adept
    • Rejoicing Evermore
« Reply #71 on: January 24, 2010, 12:05:37 PM »
I think I might have added more spices then that, but I can't remember. Hummus is SUPER yummy on pita's... :) Or as an addition to 7 layer taco dips. :)