Author Topic: Fish & Seafood Recipes  (Read 22474 times)

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
Re: Fish & Seafood Recipes
« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2007, 04:33:50 PM »
Anyone ever do that salt baked fish?  It is where a whole fish is encased in some salt and you bake it.  I found three recipes on the internet and wouldn't you know it each has a different time and a different temperature. I am surprised one of them wasn't from NT! Ha ha!!  Don't know if anyone has done this seeming fish is not really popular in America.  :-\

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2007, 03:20:29 PM »
I have an awesome coating for frying some perch, walleye, or bass in.  I couldn't believe how much even I  liked it.

POTATO FRIED FISH

1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup instant mashed potato flakes
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
1/2 tsp. onion powder
1/2 tsp. garlic salt

2 eggs, beaten with 1 TBSP cold water
oil or lard for frying

1-1 1/2 lbs fish(perch, walleye, crappie, bluegill(good luck skinnin' that one)  :D

Mix the dry ingredients in one bowl, and put the beaten egg with water in another bowl.  Coat fish with egg mixture and then with flour mixture. Fry until cooked.

YoopreMama

« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2007, 04:32:24 PM »
So glad there's a thread on fish!  ;D

I finally visited our local fish market today (fresh & smoked)...and was a pleasant surprise!  :o The owners are Native American and have run this for about 30 years...they had brochures, and studies and posters on mercury levels and how to assess which fish is best to buy, why Omega 3s are good for you, etc.   I will summarize the 1-2-3 guideline for fish buying soon.

I must say, though, that Lake Superior white fish is very high in Omega 3s and low in mercury (and yummy!).  She said to season it (no added fat?), wrap in foil and bake at 450 for 15 minutes. Will have to read this thread to see other ways to cook it.  I know it's grilling season--do you all grill fish?

Offline makingchanges

• Adept
« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2007, 06:18:39 PM »
I saw on the food network TV today that you can use parchment paper to steam your fish in instead of foil. They put slices red onions down the middle of the fish, sliced lemons down the 2 sides, ground rosemary on top and oil sprinkled all over. Then they closed up the fish with the parchment paper and cooked it at 425 degrees for 15 mins.

Offline Gigi

• Master
Kippers or Sardines
« Reply #34 on: August 08, 2007, 11:19:56 AM »
Alright, the fact is, these things have always made me queasy.  I am *really* trying to get myself and my family liking them.  They are cheap and soo nutritious, right?

So, any help on how to eat these things?  I opened the can and . . . WOW!  They are little fish . .. smelly .... shiny . .. .no heads. . .

My dad loves these things and I have always been so horrified by his breath afterwords that I never even looked in the cans before.

How do you prepare these?  Do you add stuff to them?

I made egg salad today and mashed them into it - truly edible.  We all had sandwiches and they were fine.  But what other ways can I prepare them?

Thanks!

Offline Kati*did

• Master
« Reply #35 on: August 08, 2007, 11:52:45 AM »
Are you talking about sardines?  If you want to try something a little less fishy and with a smoky flavor, start with kippers (kippered herrings).  They're really good.
"...plain Kate, and bonny Kate, and sometimes Kate the curst..."

YoopreMama

« Reply #36 on: August 08, 2007, 12:08:47 PM »
So, any help on how to eat these things?  I opened the can and . . . WOW!  They are little fish . .. smelly .... shiny . .. .no heads. . .Thanks!
Laughing hard...I made a similar comment when I was initiated in to sardines!  :D

I agree w/ the kippers recommendation...I like mine w/ horseradish on crackers.  ;D

Offline Gigi

• Master
« Reply #37 on: August 08, 2007, 12:22:37 PM »
So the kippers taste different than the sardines?  GOOD!!

I've only had the guts to try the sardines, but I did buy them both and have them in the pantry even as I speak.

I love horseradish!!  That's a great idea Yooperkitty!

Thanks gals, I'll try the kippers with horsey sauce  . . . maybe tonight!!

(maybe in my bass-o-matic!  Mmmm, that's good kipper . . .)

Any other good condiments/ways to prepare them for kiddos?? 

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #38 on: October 03, 2007, 02:16:01 PM »
in 8X8 glass pan layer

Chopped frozen brocolli about 1/2-1 inch thick
     (drizzle broccoli with olive oil, salt, pepper & onion powder and mix well and spread evenly over bottom of pan)

4 pollack fillets (or cod, or any other white fish)
     (season fillets with toasted sesame seeds, wheat germ, crushed flax seed, crushed red pepper, garlic powder, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper)

Optional:  sprinkle with Parmesan or layer with white cheese of choice (I used Monterey Jack)

Bake at 400 degrees for 20-30 minutes until fish is flakey and brocolli is hot.

This is fantastic.  Have had it twice now.  Big hit.

My favorite herb book!!

Offline Joe50342

• Wide Eyed
Fish & Seafood Recipes
« Reply #39 on: October 19, 2007, 08:53:55 AM »
If your looking for baked salmon please look at this link. :)
http://www.notecook.com/Main-Course/Fish/Baked-Salmon-Recipe.52475

Offline Roehrmomma

• Master
    • Polished cornerstones
« Reply #40 on: May 14, 2008, 07:58:55 AM »
in 8X8 glass pan layer

Chopped frozen brocolli about 1/2-1 inch thick
     (drizzle broccoli with olive oil, salt, pepper & onion powder and mix well and spread evenly over bottom of pan)

4 pollack fillets (or cod, or any other white fish)
     (season fillets with toasted sesame seeds, wheat germ, crushed flax seed, crushed red pepper, garlic powder, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper)

Optional:  sprinkle with Parmesan or layer with white cheese of choice (I used Monterey Jack)

Bake at 400 degrees for 20-30 minutes until fish is flakey and brocolli is hot.

This is fantastic.  Have had it twice now.  Big hit.

Patrick is getting some fish tonight ( salmon or orange roughy I think) will these work for this recipe?

Emily

Offline Roehrmomma

• Master
    • Polished cornerstones
« Reply #41 on: May 14, 2008, 11:50:29 AM »
Guess I am gonna try this. ;)  I don't see a reason it will not work. And if I put cheese on anything Patrick loves it. ( that is how I pretend I can cook! LOL )

Post more recipes here. I am really wanting to add fish to our diet.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #42 on: May 15, 2008, 10:04:46 AM »
Guess I am gonna try this. ;)  I don't see a reason it will not work. And if I put cheese on anything Patrick loves it. ( that is how I pretend I can cook! LOL )

Post more recipes here. I am really wanting to add fish to our diet.
Salmon has a whole different flavor than white fish, and I've never personally tried it, but if you decide to go ahead with it, let us know how it turns out.   ;D
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline refreshed

• Adept
    • Haven Baptist Fellowship
« Reply #43 on: January 16, 2009, 04:30:53 PM »
This is a really old thread, but we had baked salmon for dinner tonight and the experiment I tried worked out well.  I used lemon juice and orange juice to help keep the fish moist, and then added salt, onion powder, curry, ginger, and cardamom.  The cardamom gave the fish a very fresh taste.  If you like Indian spices, you will like the flavor mix on this!
Check out our family's and church website:
www.havenbaptistfellowship.com

For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. (Rom 6:23)

Offline WellTellMommy

• Adept
  • Ft. Banchee
« Reply #44 on: April 16, 2009, 12:50:16 PM »
Anyone have recipes for Steelhead Trout?
Is it still good for you if it's pressure cooked like canned salmon is?(not that I have a pressure cooker at this time.) 
What are some other ways of preserving fish (safely)other than freezing and pressure cooking?
I put 7 bags of trout steaks in the freezer and four whole trout.
Anyone make fish Broth N.T. way and like it,  use it , & How ?
« Last Edit: April 16, 2009, 04:51:59 PM by WellTellMommy »
DD 5yo---Mom, I think we should take a camera with us when we go to Heaven, it'll be so beautiful up there.

Sherri