Author Topic: Anyone have a healthy brand of mayonnaise they can recommend??  (Read 51186 times)

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
Re: Anyone have a healthy brand of mayonnaise they can recommend??
« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2007, 11:37:17 AM »
Lately, I've just been using butter on my chicken and ham sandwiches, cuz I'm avoiding trans fats and such.  Very yummy.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline WithLoveAndJoy

• Master
« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2007, 01:38:02 PM »
Sally Fallon reccomends Delouis Fils mayonnaise and Hains safflower mayonnaise as a second choice(per Eat Fat Loose Fat)
(I plan to look for the Delouis Fils, but haven't yet, so dont know where to send you)

SC, I made the NT recipe but it just doesnt 'taste' like mayonnaise to me.  Does your recipe taste more like what you buy in the store?

I agree, Isaacsmama, that is partly why I am looking for something prepared.  My mayo ended up tasting too different for me to really care much for it.  Thanks for the tips so far everyone.  I will definitely get the Hain brand once I run out of my Hellman's canola stuff. :-)
Visit my blog and see my deals for the week :)

http://homemakersresource.blogspot.com/

Offline Kati*did

• Master
« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2007, 02:12:20 PM »
Sally Fallon reccomends Delouis Fils mayonnaise and Hains safflower mayonnaise as a second choice(per Eat Fat Loose Fat)
(I plan to look for the Delouis Fils, but haven't yet, so dont know where to send you)

SC, I made the NT recipe but it just doesnt 'taste' like mayonnaise to me.  Does your recipe taste more like what you buy in the store?

I agree, Isaacsmama, that is partly why I am looking for something prepared.  My mayo ended up tasting too different for me to really care much for it. 

I made SC's recipe (minus the extra optional ingredients), and I really liked it, except that I felt all the Ex. Virgin Olive Oil gave it a kind of bitter taste.  I made the same recipe again, but used 1/2 ex. light olive oil and 1/2 EVOO.  Still too strong.  So I got some unrefined walnut oil (because of omega 3's) and did that half and half with EVOO.  I think it's still kind of bitter, but I've just gotten to where I like the taste!   ;D ::)  Also, I added some agave nectar to give it a little sweetness, which I like. 
"...plain Kate, and bonny Kate, and sometimes Kate the curst..."

Offline FindingMe

• Adept
« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2008, 09:00:02 AM »
Opening up this topic again, in hopes that someone has another recipe that tastes a LOT like Hellman's brand of mayo? My husband isn't going to make the switch unless it tastes very much the same, but we use a lot of mayo around here, and I'd sure feel better about it if it was healthier...

So does anyone have the "perfect" recipe?  :)

Offline Whiterock

• Jesus Knows Me, This I Love
  • Guru
  • Eph 6:16
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2008, 09:23:22 AM »
We have started using Kraft Mayo with Olive Oil. Yes, it still has some canola and soybean oil in it, but I'm not a mayo maker (I should be but alas...). Anyway I feel better about getting LESS canola and soy by buying this brand vs what we had been buying.

Ingredients:
Water, Olive Oil, Soybean Oil, Canola Oil, Vinegar, Modified Flood Starch, Sugar, Maltodextrin, Eggs, Salt, Enzyme Modified Egg Yolk, Mustard Flour, Lactic Acid, Potassium Sorbate and Calcium Disodium EDTA as Preservatives, Phosphoric Acid, Dried Onions, Dried Garlic, Natural Flavor, Beta Carotene (Color).

Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!

Nickole

« Reply #35 on: May 13, 2008, 09:34:40 AM »
Hain Safflower mayo.  Love it.  Only expeller-pressed safflower oil.  No soybean or canola.  This is what we buy, but I swear I think it went up in price, like a few DOLLARS!   :o  It's yummy! 

Ingredients:  Filtered water, expeller pressed safflower oil, corn starch, egg yolks, salt, deydrated cane juice, xantham gum, lemon juice concentrate, mixed tocopherols (vitamin E), [those mysterisous  8)] natural flavors, paprika extractives (for color).  [Even though it is white....?]

I think it was $4.99 at Kroger.  I swear it used to be cheaper, like $2.99.   >:(

Offline Whiterock

• Guru
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #36 on: May 13, 2008, 09:48:14 AM »
I thought safflower oil was a "bad" oil too. Or does it have entirely to do with how its processed?

WR
Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!

Offline Whiterock

• Guru
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #37 on: May 13, 2008, 09:58:19 AM »
Ok, I found this on the WAPF site.

However, for various reasons, most canola and soybean oil should be avoided. Many oils such as unrefined corn oil, safflower oil, and sunflower oil do not have omega-3 but are typically high in omega-6 fatty acids and they should be used only in very small amounts.

...So it's not as bad as I thought. It seems their major gripe with it is conventional processing and the fact that it is polyunsaturated...

POLYUNSATURATED FATTY ACIDS have two or more double bonds. As there is a bend or kink at each double bond, these fatty acids do not pack together easily and tend to be liquid, even when cold. Polyunsaturated oils are very fragile. They tend to develop harmful free radicals when subjected to heat and oxygen, as in cooking or processing. Soybean oil, safflower oil, sunflower oil and flax oil are polyunsaturated oils. Omega-6 fatty acids have the first double bond at the 6th carbon from the end of the fatty acid chain. The most common omega-6 fatty acid is linoleic acid, which is called an essential fatty acid (EFA) because your body cannot make it. Omega-3 fatty acids have the first double bond at the 3rd carbon. The most common omega-3 fatty acid is the EFA alpha-linolenic acid. The consensus among lipid experts is that the American diet is too high in omega-6 fatty acids (present in high amounts in commercial vegetable oils) and lacking in omega-3 fatty acids (which are present in organ meats, wild fish, pastured egg yolks, organic vegetables and flax oil). Surfeit of omega-6 fatty acids and deficiency in omega-3 fatty acids has been shown to depress immune system function, contribute to weight gain and cause inflammation.

But since we wouldn't' be eating that much of it (well I admit I probably eat mayo on more things than a other folks, but still...) it should be a better choice than soy and canola for sure!

WR
« Last Edit: May 13, 2008, 10:00:14 AM by Whiterock »
Who Needs God?

Offline brigonia

• Adept
    • My blog
« Reply #38 on: May 13, 2008, 10:06:19 AM »
I make my mayo with sunflower oil.  Turns out pretty good and sunflower is a lot better than the other options.  Can't stand olive oil mayo! 

Offline beppyjo

• Adept
    • My Blog
« Reply #39 on: May 13, 2008, 12:04:58 PM »
Have any of you tried the wilderness family naturals new mayo? It is sooooooo yummy!!! It is the best mayo that DH or I have ever had. Too expensive to get except for a rare treat for our household.  :( Here is a blurb off of their site about it:

This unique oil blend is like no other oil blend available anywhere. The oils were selected based on the writings of Dr. Mary Enig. The raw taste of a centrifuged olive oil with its olive taste, the raw tahini taste characteristic of sesame seeds and the gentle, sweet taste of raw coconuts provide a very distinctive, natural flavor blend unlike any other mayonnaise on the market.

So what are the ingredients?

* Certified Organic, Centrifuged Raw) Extra Virgin Olive Oil
    * Certified Organic, Unrefined (Raw) Sesame Seed Oil
    * Certified Organic, Centrifuged (Raw) Extra Virgin Coconut Oil
    * Certified Organic, Eggs
    * Certified Organic, Vinegar
    * Certified Organic, Spices (Ground Mustard, Garlic, Onion & Paprika)
    * Certified Organic, Evaporated Cane Juice
    * Sea Salt

Thought the list of ingredients might be interesting to you mayo makers. :D

Offline petrimama

• Master
    • My blog...
« Reply #40 on: May 13, 2008, 12:29:30 PM »
I have been using Spectrum Naturals brand for a while and my husband only just noticed last week when I asked him to hand me the jar.  He was always a Hellman's only man and I even went as far as making him a half-Hellman's and half-Spectrum sandwich when I first switched.  Not a word.  Now, I have to admit that I don't tend to make macaroni/potato salads where mayo is the sauce, but on sandwiches, in salad dressings and even in a chicken salad (with RW vinegar as the base)  we have all enjoyed it.
It doesn't taste identical to Hellman's, but we like it and it meets the need for store-bought and guilt free mayo.  In fact it's the only Mayo my kids have ever had, so i know they won't have this problem as adults.  :-)   ~L

Offline ShannaC

• Adept
« Reply #41 on: May 13, 2008, 02:14:11 PM »
I have been using Veganaise when I need something like this. I use the one made with grapeseed oil. I like the taste and it has good ingredients. 

Offline Jemima

• Adept
« Reply #42 on: May 14, 2008, 05:58:43 AM »
I like the Smart Balance Omega 3 Mayonnaise.  I've found the Smart Balance products to be really good as far as ingredients.

Offline wlwest

• Adept
« Reply #43 on: October 23, 2008, 03:01:30 PM »
Ok, I was wondering if anyone has a recipe for miracle whip?  I love that stuff, no really a mayo eater, but love miracle whip.  but, with the soybean oil in it, I would really love to make something similar, I have NT cookbook, but didn't see anything in there that I thought would taste the same.

Thanks
Wendy

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #44 on: October 24, 2008, 03:13:38 PM »
Ok, I was wondering if anyone has a recipe for miracle whip?  I love that stuff, no really a mayo eater, but love miracle whip.  but, with the soybean oil in it, I would really love to make something similar, I have NT cookbook, but didn't see anything in there that I thought would taste the same.

Thanks
Wendy
Look for salad dressing sandwich spread recipes or miracle whip clone recipes.  It's just mayo with a few extras.

Here's one.

http://www.atkinsdietbulletinboard.com/forums/food-cooking-chat/1872-recipe-miracle-whip.html
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline wlwest

• Adept
« Reply #45 on: October 25, 2008, 03:08:13 PM »
oh thanks!  i'm going to try this tomorrow.

wendy

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #46 on: September 27, 2009, 06:53:17 AM »
just found an egg/dairy free mayo replacement, was going to post in the AF thread, but it's locked. 

http://www.pulmuonewildwood.com/dipsauce.asp

hope someone can use this....
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."