Author Topic: Evening Primrose Oil  (Read 70501 times)

Offline abbilynn

• Master
    • Visit my blog!
Re: Evening Primrose Oil
« Reply #60 on: March 28, 2007, 12:24:29 PM »
Can you "overdose" on oils?  I'm taking two Beeyoutifuls Cod Liver Oils a day, plus I eat coconut oil every day.  I ordered some 1300mg Evening Primrose Oil to see if it would help take my ovarian cyst away.  Can I take a couple of the EPO's and still take two CLO a day?  Is there a such thing as too much?

Thanks!!  ;D
abbilynn
Wife for 11 years, Mommy to 3 rambunctious boys!!  :)  Lover of Jesus, my hubby, my kids, and learning!
--------------------------------------------------------------
http://glutenfreegoose.blogspot.com/

Offline abbilynn

• Master
    • Visit my blog!
« Reply #61 on: March 29, 2007, 04:31:41 AM »
bump  :)
Wife for 11 years, Mommy to 3 rambunctious boys!!  :)  Lover of Jesus, my hubby, my kids, and learning!

Offline abbilynn

• Master
    • Visit my blog!
« Reply #62 on: March 29, 2007, 05:49:35 AM »
Thanks.  :)  I'm going to give it a try.  Pray it will help get rid of my cyst - it hurts!!  :o :'(

abbilynn

Offline JeffAngie

• Adept
    • Our Joyful Living
« Reply #63 on: July 28, 2007, 10:47:52 AM »
I read about the whole thread and no one gavev any precise details on when to take this during pregnancy.  I would really like if someone could give me some suggested ideas about when to take this.

Thanks

Offline lotsagirls

• Adept
« Reply #64 on: July 28, 2007, 11:57:07 AM »
In Shonda Parker's Book "Naturally Healthy Pregnancy", she says that she takes flax seed oil until week 34 when she starts taking Evening Primrose Oil.

My midwife also suggested that I start taking it in week 34.  I'm taking 500 mgs daily.

HTH!
Lo, children are an heritage of the Lord: and the fruit of the womb is his reward.  Psalm 127:3

Offline Missy

• Adept
« Reply #65 on: July 30, 2007, 10:28:38 AM »
I was at GNC today and they had the 1300mg size of cold-pressed EPO.

Does anyone know if cold pressed or expeller pressed EPO is better for you?  I always thought that you looked for cold pressed when buying oils and I noticed that Beeyoutiful's is expeller pressed.

Offline WithLoveAndJoy

• Master
« Reply #66 on: July 30, 2007, 12:12:48 PM »
Missy,
You are generally correct about cold pressed being best, but I believe that not all oils can be extracted with this method.  From my understanding, for items that are not able to be cold pressed, expeller pressed is an acceptable alternative.

Visit my blog and see my deals for the week :)

http://homemakersresource.blogspot.com/

Offline grocerygetter

• Adept
« Reply #67 on: August 16, 2007, 11:32:42 PM »
I've read this whole thread so I'm sorry if I missed the answers but here goes...
1. My 3mo. old infant has excema. I'm in the process of eliminating things from my diet and trying new things on him to see what helps. Would I be able to give him EPO? How would I make the dosage smaller than 1500mg?
2. I'm still breastfeeding so, would I just take EPO all month long since I don't have a cycle?
Thanks!!

Offline grocerygetter

• Adept
« Reply #68 on: August 17, 2007, 05:53:10 AM »
Bump :)

Offline morningglory

• Adept
« Reply #69 on: August 17, 2007, 12:08:07 PM »
I really don't know much about EPO, but my naturopath just put me on it and said it wouldn't hurt to give one to my 22 mo. old daily.  The gelcaps I have are 500 mg, and I can't imagine that little would hurt a baby.  I'm sure there's someone else who can answer your question better.

cecac

« Reply #70 on: August 18, 2007, 04:59:52 AM »
Okay, I hope HB sees this because I have a question here:

You stated earlier in the thread that you gave EPO to you and your daughter, but only for symptoms during times of PMS.

I am thinking of doing this because I do take flax daily as well. I don't think I'd need EPO all month.

So, I would be taking it from about day 15 of my cylce to the end, when menustration starts.

How much did you take in this manner?  Was it just once a day?

Thank you in advance.

And I'm bumping because grocerygetter has a question also.

Cara

cecac

« Reply #71 on: August 18, 2007, 06:01:55 AM »
Never mind on the above question for me--on the Perimenopause thread one lady says she was taking 2 of 500 mg of EPO three times a day and it was helping with blues and hot flashes. 

Grocerygetter:  I have not seen any warning about you taking it during nursing.  I read about EPO in Nourishing Traditions this morning, no warnings attached.  Wouldn't your 3 month old get the benefits necessary if you are taking it?

Just some thoughts,
Cara

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #72 on: August 20, 2007, 07:03:43 AM »
Okay, I hope HB sees this because I have a question here:

You stated earlier in the thread that you gave EPO to you and your daughter, but only for symptoms during times of PMS.

I am thinking of doing this because I do take flax daily as well. I don't think I'd need EPO all month.

So, I would be taking it from about day 15 of my cylce to the end, when menustration starts.

How much did you take in this manner?  Was it just once a day?

Thank you in advance.

And I'm bumping because grocerygetter has a question also.

Cara

We were taking 3 EPO from Beeyoutiful capsules once a day.  I have to mention tho, that we were also taking CLO and it is highly recommend that you make sure to take enough omega 3s to balance the omega 6s you're getting in the EPO or you may cause more problems than you cure. 

Now I am just taking Omega Balance from Beeyoutiful and CLO and I've not had any cramping problems.  PMS has been apparent, but very mild and short lived.
  My favorite herb book!!

cecac

« Reply #73 on: August 20, 2007, 09:26:14 AM »
Oh, my, thank you HB.  Let's see, I'm taking coconut oil, flax oil, and thinking of EPO.  I also get raw cream from pasture fed cows everyday. Oh, and raw nuts (walnuts are Omega 3) every day too.   I think I had better get Nourishing Traditions out and figure all of this before I pick up EPO.  I may not need it, or I may need to drop something else.  The thing is, EPO is supposed to help with mood and hot flashes.  I'm not sure if the above stuff that I do carries the same benefits, if you know what I mean.

When I type this stuff out, I sit here and think, "Gee, no wonder I've got those fat pads above my backside and the fat pad on my tummy."  But according to N.T. and all, that's not the reason! :P

Thanks again,
Cara

Offline grocerygetter

• Adept
« Reply #74 on: August 20, 2007, 10:24:42 AM »
What's the recommendation for how much EPO to take postpartum? I know one from beeyoutiful is 1300mg. Mine are only 500mg each but the bottle says to take up to six times daily. Which would total 3000mg per day. Does anyone have any thoughts? Thanks! How much CLO?

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #75 on: August 21, 2007, 04:43:17 AM »
What's the recommendation for how much EPO to take postpartum? I know one from beeyoutiful is 1300mg. Mine are only 500mg each but the bottle says to take up to six times daily. Which would total 3000mg per day. Does anyone have any thoughts? Thanks! How much CLO?
I suggest you read these threads to help you decide your needed dosages of EPO and CLO.

http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,8697.msg93452.html#msg93452
http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,5924.msg63350.html#msg63350
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline born-an-okie

• Adept
« Reply #76 on: September 19, 2007, 11:33:03 AM »
Maybe I'm jumping the gun a little bit, but I'm wondering if EPO can be delaying my cycle?  I took it at the end of my last pregnancy and it did wonders for my mood, though having my husband back from a 4 month deployment helped the most!  I'm still nursing (baby just turned 1), and my cycles are still somewhat irregular, though for the last several months they have been no longer than 36 days.  I was feeling super cranky last week and expected my period to start around Saturday.  I decided to take EPO again to see if it would help.  I'm only taking 500 mg 3x a day (and that's if I remember every dose).  So far my cycle hasn't started and now it's Wednesday.  Of course I could be pregnant, but I'm not quite ready to consider that yet.  Any thoughts?

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #77 on: September 19, 2007, 04:45:37 PM »
Maybe I'm jumping the gun a little bit, but I'm wondering if EPO can be delaying my cycle?  I took it at the end of my last pregnancy and it did wonders for my mood, though having my husband back from a 4 month deployment helped the most!  I'm still nursing (baby just turned 1), and my cycles are still somewhat irregular, though for the last several months they have been no longer than 36 days.  I was feeling super cranky last week and expected my period to start around Saturday.  I decided to take EPO again to see if it would help.  I'm only taking 500 mg 3x a day (and that's if I remember every dose).  So far my cycle hasn't started and now it's Wednesday.  Of course I could be pregnant, but I'm not quite ready to consider that yet.  Any thoughts?

i would think it could, cuz that's what i've been using it for.  last month i took it after ovulation, and it delayed from 22 days (normal) to 29 days.  HTH.
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline born-an-okie

• Adept
« Reply #78 on: September 29, 2007, 06:40:04 AM »
Thanks for the reply.  The delay was not caused by the EPO.  Let's just say it will be delayed another several months!  ;)

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #79 on: September 29, 2007, 10:36:44 AM »
Thanks for the reply.  The delay was not caused by the EPO.  Let's just say it will be delayed another several months!  ;)

Congrats!!!   ;D 
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline Simply Kristen

• My weekly podcast that explores all aspects of healthy living.
  • Master
    • SimplyKristen Blog
« Reply #80 on: October 24, 2007, 03:54:19 AM »
Ok, I have a question about the EPO. I have about 4 weeks to go in this pregnancy, which is when I think you're supposed to start taking it. What exactly does it do, just soften your cervix? And do you take it by mouth, or put the oil somewhere?  :-[ Thanks.  :)

Both!   ;D 
You can begin to take some orally (around 1,000-1,500mg) with meals and cut tips off and insert 1-4 Depending on the mg of your caps a typical HFS variety is around 500, you are looking do somewhere around 1,000 internally in your vagina each night before going to bed.
Or, you may up the internal amount gradually beginning at 500 and increasing an additional 500 each week for 4 weeks (total internal being 2,000 or so during the last week), if you wish. 
Recommendations seem to vary, but that should be safe. IMO.
EPO is a natural prostaglandin and works to soften/prep your cervix, and as mentioned in previous posts helps with balancing hormones.
Also, can be very helpful if EPO is massaged directly on the cervix during labor.  Though massaging a cervix during labor isn't exactly comfortable >:(

Does this mean you should wait for an EPO regimen (to soften cervix) until about 4 weeks before?
Or can you do it earlier?

Offline chopchop

• Adept
« Reply #81 on: October 24, 2007, 09:09:15 AM »
Does this mean you should wait for an EPO regimen (to soften cervix) until about 4 weeks before?
Or can you do it earlier?

It is fine to use EPO in MILD doses earlier (unless you are dealing with preterm labor/dilation....). But please don't do the routine described above earlier than four weeks before dates, even if you are wishing to be "delivered" of the beach ball on the front of you.   ;)

Offline ShabbyChic

• Master
  • Wife, mom, motorcycle enthusiast, and chocoholic.
« Reply #82 on: October 29, 2007, 06:18:57 AM »
I'm 27 weeks and just began taking EPO at the end of last week.  I've had some cramping, like very, very mild labor, and I'm wondering if I'm taking too much, or if I just have a stomach bug, or if I need to stop all together??? 

Forevergirl said you can begin taking EPO in the 6th month, which I am beyond, and the bottle of BeeYoutiful oil says to take 1-2 capsules of 1300 mg every day.  So I've taken one capsule one day, and two the next.  I have had the cramping and soft stools, and I'm not sure if (at this early in the pregnancy) I should just take one every other day...  I"m confused. 

Thanks.
That's Shabby SHEIK not Shabby CHICK.  Hee-hee.

Offline chopchop

• Adept
« Reply #83 on: October 29, 2007, 06:38:57 AM »
IMO, I would back off the EPO for several days and see what happens. It could be totally unrelated, but I am would suspect in is stimulating something if this is the only thing that you have done differently. (Always keep your fluid intake and protein levels in mind, these are the most common factors for pre-term labor or labor symptoms)  Later on you can reintroduce EPO and monitor yourself carefully.  Some people don't need any extra natural prostaglandins, and some of us can use all the help we can get.   ;D 

Offline ShabbyChic

• Master
« Reply #84 on: October 29, 2007, 06:44:55 AM »
As in, make sure I drink enough water and eat enough protein, or watch that I don't eat too much protein?  Sorry.  I don't know much about this.  Unfortunately I already took 2 pills this morning before it dawned on me that it might be the EPO.  But I'll lay off beginning tomorrow.

Offline ShabbyChic

• Master
« Reply #85 on: October 29, 2007, 09:13:34 AM »
Well after speaking with a friend, I believe it is the red raspberry I began taking at the same time as the EPO (and not the EPO) that is causing the cramping feeling. 

Offline Simply Kristen

• My weekly podcast that explores all aspects of healthy living.
  • Master
    • SimplyKristen Blog
« Reply #86 on: November 09, 2007, 03:28:12 AM »
cut tips off and insert 1-4 Depending on the mg of your caps a typical HFS variety is around 500, you are looking do somewhere around 1,000 internally in your vagina each night before going to bed.

What happens to the capsuls?
Do they stay in your body and distengrate?

I have the Beeyoutiful EPO... so answering relating to the gel capsuls would be good.  :)

Offline chopchop

• Adept
« Reply #87 on: November 09, 2007, 09:17:58 AM »
The gel capsules melt  when they get warm  ;D.  Gel =gelatin, like plain gelatin- not Jello (though they are VERY distantly related).   ;)

Offline Mrs. B

• Master
« Reply #88 on: January 08, 2008, 03:48:53 PM »
Can men take EPO? Are there any risks to this?

Offline 1bolinha

• Learning
  • Live Jesus!
    • Rancho del Rey Church
« Reply #89 on: January 08, 2008, 05:02:41 PM »
My husband has taken it along with Cod Liver Oil for a few months for Hip pain and it gave him relief in just a few days.