Author Topic: Evening Primrose Oil  (Read 73860 times)

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
Re: Evening Primrose Oil
« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2006, 05:50:02 PM »
Sounds like you have gallstones.  Maybe you should do a gallbladder flush.   :o
A doctor has looked at my gallbladder via ultrasound twice and there are no gallstones.

I went through the same thing and the doc found nothing.  I quit caffeine and grease for a very long time and it seemed to heal itself, but after reading up on it, I'm sure it was my gallbladder.  If it started bothering me again, I wouldn't hesitate to try the flush.  Your body needs oils and fats to be healthy and if you're not processing them correctly then I would say something is amiss with your liver and/or gallbladder stones or not.  Just my thoughts.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline seeker

• Adept
« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2006, 05:00:49 AM »
Thanks for your thoughts. I know my body needs fats/oils that I cannot eat, so that's why I am taking Evening Primrose Oil & Omega 3 6 9 capsules. Not just for me, but for my baby, too. I am nursing my 4 month old, and she is gaining weight very slowly. After exhaustive research, I am trying these oils to help her as well. But can I do a gallbladder flush while nursing?

Offline SteveTallent

• Adept
« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2006, 05:15:26 AM »
On the one hand I wouldn't think that freezing would interfere with the effectiveness of the capsules, because there is nothing to kill in the freezing process. On the other hand, if the oils aren't broken down, the good stuff might not be available and if it is frozen, then it might not get emulsified and broken down. On the other hand, How long would it really take for a frozen capsule to thaw, so will freezing actually DO anything? On the other hand (just how many hands does this person have????) there is so little oil that it really shouldn't affect your gall bladder that much.

Try it. If it helps, without side affects then that's great. If not then try it unfrozen and see the effects that way.
Any health info, or dosage recommendations are strictly my opinion and are not to be construed as the opinion or recommendation of Beeyoutiful.com unless otherwise stated.

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2006, 06:34:38 AM »
On the one hand I wouldn't think that freezing would interfere with the effectiveness of the capsules, because there is nothing to kill in the freezing process. On the other hand, if the oils aren't broken down, the good stuff might not be available and if it is frozen, then it might not get emulsified and broken down. On the other hand, How long would it really take for a frozen capsule to thaw, so will freezing actually DO anything? On the other hand (just how many hands does this person have????) there is so little oil that it really shouldn't affect your gall bladder that much.

Try it. If it helps, without side affects then that's great. If not then try it unfrozen and see the effects that way.

Goodness, Steve, you have a lot of hands!!! :D

Offline seeker

• Adept
« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2006, 10:11:58 AM »
Thanks for your ideas, four hand man  ;D. I understand your point about how long can it really take for a capsule to thaw. I took some frozen capsules after lunch. When I eat something greasy I usually have an "attack" within the hour. So far so good. However, I don't know if I will be brave enough to try them unfrozen or not. One time my husband said, "Taste this sauce. It's good." I dipped the edge of a chip in the sauce and was having an attack within the hour. So it doesn't take much of a fat/oil to bother me.

Offline SteveTallent

• Adept
« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2006, 10:22:52 AM »
You should probably try something like the master cleanse or a full fast or at least a gall bladder cleanse. Since the doc said that you don't have gallstones, a gall bladder cleanse probably won't do much. You need one of the other cleanses because they seem to "reset" your body so that it responds properly again. Full fasts are better for resetting and longer fasts, like 7-10 days are the best. If you can't do 5 days, I wouldn't do a fast at all. For a master cleanse, not less than 7 days is needed, and probably more like 15 to get the job done.
Any health info, or dosage recommendations are strictly my opinion and are not to be construed as the opinion or recommendation of Beeyoutiful.com unless otherwise stated.

Offline ForeverGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Master
  • BoogBug
    • WellTellMe
« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2006, 10:29:50 AM »
Thanks for your thoughts. I know my body needs fats/oils that I cannot eat, so that's why I am taking Evening Primrose Oil & Omega 3 6 9 capsules. Not just for me, but for my baby, too. I am nursing my 4 month old, and she is gaining weight very slowly. After exhaustive research, I am trying these oils to help her as well. But can I do a gallbladder flush while nursing?

Yes, you can do a gallbladder flush while nursing or pregnant. It takes only 24 hours. I've done 3 since being pregnant! It is recommended to wait at least 2 weeks between flushes.

Rebekah
Honey Sunny in complete exasperation:
"JOE!!! You DOUGHNUT COCONUT COCONUT COCONUT!!!"

Offline SteveTallent

• Adept
« Reply #37 on: September 14, 2006, 12:30:45 PM »
Just an update to let everyone know that we are discounting Evening Primrose Oil 10% until October 14. There are no coupon restrictions either, so coupons applied to the order will discount it even further. This is a great time to try this product. If you have monthly pain or emotional swings, you've GOT to try this whether from us or from some other source.  My wife tried it for the first time several months ago when we were thinking of carrying it. She has vowed never to be without it. What started out as one of the worst cycles in her life (post miscarriage) requiring multiple painkillers just to sleep, instantly turned into one of the easiest when she took one EPO instead of several Advil and Alieve. Make sure you check the potency levels if you shop around for this product. We have seen some that are only 50mg requiring many gelcaps to make up one dose. Our capsules are 1300mg. When you're feeling miserable, the last thing you want to do is swallow a handful of gelcaps every hour or two.

Offline Amey

• Adept
    • Amey's Blog
« Reply #38 on: September 24, 2006, 01:41:03 PM »
Does anyone know if EPO has any effect when used topically (for eczema, for example)? Also, I just read that some people have a D6D (enzyme) deficiency that keeps them from converting omega 6's into GLA, which is one case in which EPO can be beneficial (beyond hormonal-type reasons). Anyone have any experience with this?

Here's the article that got me started on this research:
http://www.westonaprice.org/knowyourfats/tripping.html

This article is so dense, I just know I'm not quite understanding all of it. But I think I get more out of it each time I read it.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #39 on: September 24, 2006, 02:16:13 PM »
Does anyone know if EPO has any effect when used topically (for eczema, for example)? Also, I just read that some people have a D6D (enzyme) deficiency that keeps them from converting omega 6's into GLA, which is one case in which EPO can be beneficial (beyond hormonal-type reasons). Anyone have any experience with this?
That's interesting.  Beka and I have been corresponding on why she would need to supplement her 6's when the typical American diet is loaded with them.  You may have hit something there.  I haven't stumbled across this in my research yet, but I'm very interested.  Thank you for the lead.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Amey

• Adept
    • Amey's Blog
« Reply #40 on: September 25, 2006, 05:15:02 AM »
Also, I just read that some people have a D6D (enzyme) deficiency that keeps them from converting omega 6's into GLA, which is one case in which EPO can be beneficial (beyond hormonal-type reasons). Anyone have any experience with this?

Here's the article that got me started on this research:
http://www.westonaprice.org/knowyourfats/tripping.html

Also, through this same research, I have found out that flax seed oil would not be a good substitute for evening primrose oil. You would want to go with either borage oil or black current oil. I'm not sure how different these two oils would be than EPO as far as hormonal effects, but they also contain the amino acid GLA. Apparently an uneven balance of fatty acids (omega 3', 6's) and/or a D6D enzyme deficiency can cause some disorders like rheumatoid arthritis, sjorgens, lupus, etc. The little diagram on the article I linked to above is very handy, although a bit confusing until you have studied this a while. I'm still trying to figure it all out. I'm going to up my dose of EPO to see if it helps my problems with Raynaud's. I have read articles that say that if you are eating healthy fats and avoiding the vegetable oils/trans fats that you shouldn't have a problem with this, but I don't think that is true. We'll see.

I'm wondering if the EPO is what has been giving me these stomach cramps I've had the last few days. I went from 500 mg twice a day to 1000 mg twice a day. Still not all that much according to what I have read, but that's been the one change I've made that could be causing that (besides possible food or virus trouble?).

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #41 on: September 25, 2006, 08:13:39 AM »
Flax oil is an omega 3 and EPO is an omega 6, so they would not be interchangable.  Most people need more omega 3s and so flax would be a better choice as would cod liver and other oils for raynauds or any other autoimmune disfunction, but if there is something to this enzyme definciency thing, then GLA (from omega 6's) would be needed as a supplement as well.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline cpsenter

• Adept
« Reply #42 on: November 27, 2006, 09:26:19 AM »
I was wondering if any of you have heard of EPO affecting your cycles.  I have been taking EPO twice a day now for a little over a month and stoped about a week ago.   it is now time for my period to start and I am 3 days late (I know I am not pregnant and I took a test just to make sure and it was negative).  The only thing I have changed is my EPO.  so one, has anyone else heard of this and two, I am just not sure if I should stay off the EPO until I figure out what is going on or if I should start it back and see what happens.
any thoughts?
thanks!

Offline born-an-okie

• Adept
« Reply #43 on: December 13, 2006, 06:16:40 PM »
This may be a silly question, but here goes.  Is it okay to take EPO while nursing?  I know it can do stuff to your hormone levels, etc. so would it do funny things to my baby?  I took it at the end of this last pregnancy and I really think it helped out with my overall mood A LOT!  I don't remember the last time that I felt that cheerful.  Of course my husband had just come home from a 4 month deployment, which was a huge boost to my mood!  I didn't feel like a crabby mommy anymore.  I would love to take EPO again.  My baby boy is now 3 months old and growing like crazy.  Thanks!

Offline SarahK

• Master
« Reply #44 on: December 14, 2006, 04:14:38 AM »
Bump
I have learned enough to know I still have lots to learn.  Teach me.
My WTM Intro updated 9/2010

Offline born-an-okie

• Adept
« Reply #45 on: December 14, 2006, 10:38:01 AM »
Okay, since I posted yesterday, I have finally remembered to call my midwife and ask her about this.  She couldn't find anything at first about it being good or bad.  She did finally find some information from the Univ. of Maryland that said EPO is fine while nursing, but borage oil isn't.  (this was because EPO has GLA and LA, and borage oil only has GLA ???)  I'm willing to try EPO again now.  I took fish oil throughout my pregnancy (we live in a very sunny place, that's why I didn't go with the cod liver oil), but when I switched to EPO at the end I really noticed a difference in how I felt emotionally.  I stopped taking it once our boy was born though.  Now I'm going to try it again and we'll see what happens.

Offline smileyface

• Adept
« Reply #46 on: January 02, 2007, 10:36:52 AM »
Ok, I have a question about the EPO. I have about 4 weeks to go in this pregnancy, which is when I think you're supposed to start taking it. What exactly does it do, just soften your cervix? And do you take it by mouth, or put the oil somewhere?  :-[ Thanks.  :)
Wife to a wonderful Mr. Command, and mommy to 5 sweet little ones!

Visit http://hyenacart.com/SunnyDayBabies/ where I sell cloth diapers and more!
WTM members recieve 10% off with the code WTM0409!

Offline chopchop

• Adept
« Reply #47 on: January 02, 2007, 10:43:55 AM »
Ok, I have a question about the EPO. I have about 4 weeks to go in this pregnancy, which is when I think you're supposed to start taking it. What exactly does it do, just soften your cervix? And do you take it by mouth, or put the oil somewhere?  :-[ Thanks.  :)

Both!   ;D 
You can begin to take some orally (around 1,000-1,500mg) with meals and cut tips off and insert 1-4 Depending on the mg of your caps a typical HFS variety is around 500, you are looking do somewhere around 1,000 internally in your vagina each night before going to bed.
Or, you may up the internal amount gradually beginning at 500 and increasing an additional 500 each week for 4 weeks (total internal being 2,000 or so during the last week), if you wish. 
Recommendations seem to vary, but that should be safe. IMO.
EPO is a natural prostaglandin and works to soften/prep your cervix, and as mentioned in previous posts helps with balancing hormones.
Also, can be very helpful if EPO is massaged directly on the cervix during labor.  Though massaging a cervix during labor isn't exactly comfortable >:(
« Last Edit: January 02, 2007, 11:10:40 AM by chopchop »

Offline maideninwaiting

• Adept
« Reply #48 on: January 24, 2007, 03:53:30 PM »
I apologize in advance if this subject is already being discussed, but I did a search several times and nothing came up.

Onto my question...

I've been taking Evening Primrose Oil (and Cod Liver Oil, 650 mg) for about 1.5 weeks, 500mg every day. My cycles which originally came every 26-28 days, began to lengthen last March and have gradually turned into a 30-32 cycle. My doctor said I was probably just getting a new cycle pattern?
Anyway, this is the first month in 10 mos. that I have had a 27 day cycle! Could this be the EPO?? I've been taking Vitex since July '06 but my cycles were still at least 30 days until today! I was surprised to see my little "friend", but thankful that my cycles seem to be getting back to their old selves. Any input would be much appreciated.

On a side note, I've had short "twinges" of pain in my left ovary around ovulation time for about 4 years. I assumed it was just ovulation pain, but it began to come more frequent and other times during the month. I did notice that taking the Vitex helped somewhat, but the past couple of months, the twinge has come more than once. This month, it came at ovulation and just before menstration. Does anyone know what this could be?
Thanks!
"I am the LORD: For they shall not be ashamed that wait for me." Isaiah 49:23

Offline sarahmontgomery

• Adept
  • Isaiah 12:2
Can a 12 year old girl take evening primose?
« Reply #49 on: January 24, 2007, 04:22:30 PM »
A friend's daughter has VERY heavy cycles and I am wondering if evening primrose will help her. She even been having more than one a month.  Or what would you suggest.  The Dr. is talking about putting her on birth control pills!!!!!! 
Home, home on the range, where the deer and the cantaloupe play..... according to my 4 year old

Offline sarahmontgomery

• Adept
  • Isaiah 12:2
Re: Can a 12 year old girl take evening primose?
« Reply #50 on: January 25, 2007, 02:05:33 AM »
bump
Home, home on the range, where the deer and the cantaloupe play..... according to my 4 year old

Offline chopchop

• Adept
« Reply #51 on: January 25, 2007, 03:13:12 AM »
IMO, it wouldn't hurt at all.  I would also start with lots of Red Raspberry tea!  Check out the threads on here on that subject.
THis one is Very good
http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,3171.0.html

Offline Mama Sita

• Adept
« Reply #52 on: January 25, 2007, 03:21:00 AM »
I do give it to my 10-year old daughter when she is rather 'moody.' Does seem to help quite a bit  ::)
"No one stands as tall as a Christian on his knees."
Get $5 off your first iHerb.com order: Code ISA141

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #53 on: January 25, 2007, 06:17:31 AM »
I give it to my 14 yo and it helps her PMS symptoms.  It seems to help her as well.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #54 on: January 25, 2007, 06:21:12 AM »
HB--when do you give it to her?  just as needed?  i thought we were supposed to take it from ovulation til the end of the period.  is that right? 
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #55 on: January 25, 2007, 06:23:46 AM »
HB--when do you give it to her?  just as needed?  i thought we were supposed to take it from ovulation til the end of the period.  is that right? 
She just takes it from onset of PMS to end of period.  That's what I do as well.  EPO is an omega 6 and I don't feel we need much supplementation in this area, so I limit it's use for symptoms only. 
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline maideninwaiting

• Adept
« Reply #56 on: January 25, 2007, 12:19:02 PM »
Does anyone know the correct/most effective ratio of CLO: EPO?
I've read by some sources that they should be the same amount, then in some that the CLO should be higher. I'm confused.  ???
I'm looking for the most efective dosage for hormonal imbalance. Thanks.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #57 on: January 25, 2007, 03:01:06 PM »
Does anyone know the correct/most effective ratio of CLO: EPO?
I've read by some sources that they should be the same amount, then in some that the CLO should be higher. I'm confused.  ???
I'm looking for the most efective dosage for hormonal imbalance. Thanks.
CLO and EPO are not hormones nor do they contain hormones.  They are both essential fatty acids.  CLO is an omega 3 fatty acid and EPO is an omega 6.  The recommended ratio of omega 3's to omega 6's is thought to be 1:1.  Other sources of these fatty acids in your regular diet should be considered when supplementing efa's.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline maideninwaiting

• Adept
« Reply #58 on: January 26, 2007, 12:03:57 PM »
Thanks. Yes, I realize they are not hormones, but I did hear that omega 3s can help hormonal imbalance. Hope its true. :) And of course the EPO seems to help w/ PMS symptoms.

Offline hedy

• Adept
« Reply #59 on: February 27, 2007, 04:09:50 PM »
I was at GNC today and they had the 1300mg size of cold-pressed EPO. 90 softgels for $14.99. They are humongous though. Does anyone know if Beeyoutiful's are smaller?