Author Topic: Evening Primrose Oil  (Read 74249 times)

Offline Soñadora

• Adept
Evening Primrose Oil
« on: August 12, 2006, 06:41:03 AM »
I did search this first, but haven't come across an answer to this specific question. HB, I'm sorry in advance if I have put this in the wrong place! :-[

I am wondering if EPO is ok to take on a daily basis? I noticed, via the search, that some only take it at certain times, or when certain problems arise. I've heard tell you can get EP seeds--anyone know the pro's and con's? Also, can anyone comment on age restrictions for taking it orally? Thanks! :)
You have no idea who I think I am.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
Re: Evening Primrose Oil
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2006, 06:47:43 AM »
I take the EPO from Beeyoutiful.  I take it daily and have for a little over a month.  I noticed less severe PMS symptoms this month and the omega fats have been helping the ligament in my finger to heal.  I injured it last Christmas and it was not healing on it's own until I started the supplements.  It's also been recommended for uterine toning for pregnancy and bringing on dilation and labor.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline ForeverGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Master
  • BoogBug
    • WellTellMe
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2006, 12:09:23 PM »
I have a friend who just weened her last baby and went into deep hormonal depression, etc... She said she was crying continually and didn't know what was wrong with her.
I recommended EPO and she has been taking it in double the recommended dosages for several weeks now. She SWEARS by it and says she's never been saner in her life. I was impressed with her totally turn-around emotionally!
As far as I have been able to find, there is no danger in taking EPO daily for long periods of time. The only thing that may hinder this would be an EPO allergy, which I've never heard of??? And my friend is taking double doses. 

We (at Beeyoutiful) have heard repeated stories from teenagers with painful mensus, to crazy/depressed mamas, to menapaus-ing grandmas, to men that have emotional swings that leave them angry or depressed - they all say EPO is a life-saver. Weird, huh? Most of them are relieved to know they're not crazy. ::)

I've never had any hormonal imbalances, but I'd love to try EPO myself and see the results - not asking for hormonal problems though... :-\

Did that answer  your question???

Honey Sunny in complete exasperation:
"JOE!!! You DOUGHNUT COCONUT COCONUT COCONUT!!!"

Offline ForeverGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Master
  • BoogBug
    • WellTellMe
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2006, 12:13:29 PM »
I also wanted to add, Sonadora (for your hubby with Marfans), that I've had a lot of recent success with pain/ligament/muscle/joint problems by taking Omega 3,6,9 daily. The last week there has been NO pain, and no dislocations. I can't remember another week like this in years. It could be a coincidence, but the only thing I've changed is adding the Omega Balance to my daily routine. Funny, that Americans, who eat so much fat/oil, should be dying for lack of good oils...  ::)  HealthyBratt told us so.

Offline WithLoveAndJoy

• Master
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2006, 12:38:45 PM »
I personally have been taking three and up to six softgells of EPO daily for nearly two months now, and have no difficulty.  It is simply a GLA supplement, which, from what I understand is an amino acid, which I have not heard of anyone ODing on aminos.

I have, however, had very good success with regulating my menses using EPO.  Thanks for this board and its recommendations! ;D
« Last Edit: August 12, 2006, 12:54:42 PM by BeeyoutifulGirl »
Visit my blog and see my deals for the week :)

http://homemakersresource.blogspot.com/

Offline TwinkleToes

• Adept
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2006, 04:59:40 PM »
I have some questions.  EPO is something I'm really interested in and I've been reading through previous threads where it's mentioned.  Here's what I'm wondering:

1.  HealthyBratt, you mentioned in a previous thread that your ligament has been healing with the addition of EPO, but you also mention cod liver oil.  Do you think it's the combination or would EPO on it's own suffice?

2.  Is there any limit on dosage?  StephTallent mentioned in another thread taking it every 2 hours at one point to help control severe pms.  Do you just take whatever amount is necessary to achieve the desired results?

3.  Are there contra-indications for nursing moms?  A friends of mine had to quit taking flax seed oil because it gave her baby diarrhea.   :(

Thanks everyone!!

Offline Amey

• Adept
    • Amey's Blog
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2006, 05:32:39 PM »
My husband suggested I try taking EPO for a circulation problem I'm having. I had been taking one a day, but it sounds like I won't have any trouble with two or three a day, right? Has anyone heard of using EPO for good circulation? My problem is that when it is just a little bit chilly, I practically FREEZE. My feet, fingers, and ears especially. It is a condition called Raynaud's syndrome.  Not looking forward to this winter. This just started happening to me last winter after a miscarriage, so I am thinking it may be hormone related. Any input?

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2006, 05:43:43 PM »
This just started happening to me last winter after a miscarriage, so I am thinking it may be hormone related. Any input?

Amey,
Have you done much research on this?  Did a doctor diagnose you?  I have read that Raynaud's is usually a symptom of some other underlying condition such as rheumatoid arthritis or some sort of autoimmune disease.  I have a list of things that are helpful for this:
coenzyme Q10  which helps for more oxygenation
Vitamin E
Calcium, magnesium, and zinc
It does say to use an oil such as primrose: 1,000 mg/day
Keep away from caffeine which constricts blood vessels.
Use some circulation herbs such as: cayenne, butcher's broom, black cohosh.

Nothing says anything about it being hormonal.  But since you noticed it around the time of your miscarriage, perhaps, something underlying that brought on the Raynaud's is what triggered the miscarriage?  I hope you can figure the culprit.

Offline Amey

• Adept
    • Amey's Blog
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2006, 03:46:35 AM »
Have you done much research on this?  Did a doctor diagnose you?  I have read that Raynaud's is usually a symptom of some other underlying condition such as rheumatoid arthritis or some sort of autoimmune disease.  I have a list of things that are helpful for this:
coenzyme Q10  which helps for more oxygenation
Vitamin E
Calcium, magnesium, and zinc
It does say to use an oil such as primrose: 1,000 mg/day
Keep away from caffeine which constricts blood vessels.
Use some circulation herbs such as: cayenne, butcher's broom, black cohosh.

Nothing says anything about it being hormonal.  But since you noticed it around the time of your miscarriage, perhaps, something underlying that brought on the Raynaud's is what triggered the miscarriage?  I hope you can figure the culprit.

Thanks for the list, I appreciate that. I did get a doctor's diagnosis last spring, by a dermatologist. I originally thought that it was athlete's foot because of the way my feet were burning and getting rashes. I also had a lot of blood work done to rule out the underlying conditions you mentioned, and nothing else seems to be an issue right now. I'm hoping the primrose oil will help, but I'm not sure yet since I didn't start taking it until the weather had already warmed up late this spring. I've done some research on the internet about Raynaud's, but as there are only a few medical sites I trust, it's been hard to find reliable information. Most sites on this topic are "conventional". Not nearly "weird" enough for me.  ;D

I'm all into eating healthfully, and know all about the healthy fats and oils and such. But I'm ignorant about herbs and such. I'd like to be able to handle this condition without resorting to the doctor's "solution": blood pressure medication (I think calcium-channel blocker).  ???  I will be trying a  LOT of different things before I resort to that. Maybe even a move to Mexico?  ;D Ohio is not really the place to avoid cold weather, is it.

This did start out about primrose oil. I guess if I post again I should post it as a new topic? Sorry for veering off-topic.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2006, 04:35:48 AM »
I have some questions.  EPO is something I'm really interested in and I've been reading through previous threads where it's mentioned.  Here's what I'm wondering:

1.  HealthyBratt, you mentioned in a previous thread that your ligament has been healing with the addition of EPO, but you also mention cod liver oil.  Do you think it's the combination or would EPO on it's own suffice?

I was taking cod liver oil and switched to EPO.  I took the fishoil for a few days and was having a sinus infection.  I read in another post that someone was allergic to it, so I switched "just in case" I might be having a reaction as well.  I intend to switch back when I run out of EPO, but I've been taking the EPO without the cod liver oil for about 3 weeks.  I actually think the cod liver oil would be more effective on it's own, because of the vitamin D in it, but I'm also taking SuperDad which has plenty of vitamin D and magnesium to help with calcium absorbtion.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Soñadora

• Adept
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2006, 07:17:26 AM »
Thanks for the info, guys. HB's a robot and Beka reads minds...   8)

After hearing about EPO here, I saw a glimmer of hope for warding off "the crazies" I've been having ever since my last was born--4 years ago! I was pregnant or nursing for literally 11 years straight, from '92-'03. I don't know what happened, but a little while after the last one was weaned, I became really depressed. The crying all day and not wanting to get out of bed kind. I know diet had a lot to do with it, but I wondered if my hormones were somehow freaking out because of the sudden stop in pregnancy and nursing. If that's possible.???

So, I'm not crazy everyday anymore. I'm sure it's due to some dietary changes we started making, thanks to reading a story about soy (on NGJ online, BTW ;)), and more recently I added Jungle Juice.

Anyway, back to the EPO--I started taking it about a month ago, but stopped for a few days, because I was worried about messing something up! So, I woke up yesterday and was crying like La Llorona for most of the day, and just felt horrible. Okay, though, so I am glad I asked because I'm hoping this will be part of keeping my crazies at bay. My husband thanks you.

Oh yeah! Speaking of my husband...

Beka--thank you for the info on the oils. He did start taking Cod Liver Oil recently (again). I am trying to get him more involved, but he "says no first and asks questions later". :) I could see the wheels turning, though, when I mentioned you had similar issues, and how it helped you, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed! Makes typing really difficult...

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2006, 07:19:40 AM »
Thanks for the info, guys. HB's a robot

Okay, that's the 2nd time you've called me a robot.  I can't decide if that's a compliment or an insult.  Exactly what are the defining characters of a robot.   ;D
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Soñadora

• Adept
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2006, 07:31:14 AM »

Okay, that's the 2nd time you've called me a robot.  I can't decide if that's a compliment or an insult.  Exactly what are the defining characters of a robot.   ;D

It's a compliment referring to your ability to answer any question and leap tall buildings in a single bound!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2006, 08:08:02 AM »

It's a compliment referring to your ability to answer any question and leap tall buildings in a single bound!

My cape was lost at the cleaners.   ;)

I guess, I should say thanks for the compliment, but I think the thanks belongs to the one who keeps blessing me with direction and wisdom.  If not for Him, I'd be lost in this mess like everyone else.   It's so amazing to me, how everytime a new subject comes up, I've already been led to read or research something that either solves the problem or at the very least provides another piece to the puzzle.  :o
« Last Edit: August 13, 2006, 08:11:32 AM by healthybratt »
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Soñadora

• Adept
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2006, 08:34:15 AM »
My cape was lost at the cleaners.   ;)

I guess, I should say thanks for the compliment, but I think the thanks belongs to the one who keeps blessing me with direction and wisdom.  If not for Him, I'd be lost in this mess like everyone else.   It's so amazing to me, how everytime a new subject comes up, I've already been led to read or research something that either solves the problem or at the very least provides another piece to the puzzle.  :o

Well, yes, and I have to agree with you. It goes without saying (though we should say it!) that we have what we have by His grace. But there are some who despite having the wisdom, don't share it as you do, for whatever reason. So, if you can't take credit for the other, let me appreciate your willingness to give of your time!  :)

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2006, 03:47:23 PM »
So, if you can't take credit for the other, let me appreciate your willingness to give of your time!  :)

Awww shucks, twernt nuthin.   ::)
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline ForeverGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Master
  • BoogBug
    • WellTellMe
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2006, 05:08:02 PM »
Thanks for the info, guys. HB's a robot and Beka reads minds...   

Did we forget to mention the unique side effects of taking SuperMom long term?... 8) 8)

I wonder what your super power is Sonadora? I think it's beginning to show up...

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2006, 08:44:50 PM »

Did we forget to mention the unique side effects of taking SuperMom long term?... 8) 8)

I wonder what your super power is Sonadora? I think it's beginning to show up...

Well that would explain a lot.  I take SuperDad.  *snicker* 
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline SarahK

• Master
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2006, 04:47:32 AM »
Thanks for the info, guys. HB's a robot and Beka reads minds...   8)

After hearing about EPO here, I saw a glimmer of hope for warding off "the crazies" I've been having ever since my last was born--4 years ago! I was pregnant or nursing for literally 11 years straight, from '92-'03. I don't know what happened, but a little while after the last one was weaned, I became really depressed. The crying all day and not wanting to get out of bed kind. I know diet had a lot to do with it, but I wondered if my hormones were somehow freaking out because of the sudden stop in pregnancy and nursing. If that's possible.???

I have been pregnant &/or nursing for over 12 years ...and counting.  Beeyoutiful.com doesn't mention anything about pregnancy precautions, but to be sure I want to ask - Any risks that I should know about when considering taking this for my specific version of 'craziness'?

Sarah K
I have learned enough to know I still have lots to learn.  Teach me.
My WTM Intro updated 9/2010

Offline KatieMac

• Master
  • Alice Magdalene
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2006, 04:52:21 AM »
I take Evening Primrose during pregnancy to help prepare the cervix...it seems to me that whatever your hormonal function is Evening Primrose just helps make it better.

Offline SarahK

• Master
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2006, 04:58:08 AM »
I take Evening Primrose during pregnancy to help prepare the cervix...it seems to me that whatever your hormonal function is Evening Primrose just helps make it better.

I'm guessing that it's a cervix softener or increases elasticity - right?  My last 2 were delivered around 37 weeks and I may want to keep that in mind.  I'm all for easy cervical dilation, but I'm not interested in being any more preterm than I am.  In your experience, (or someone else') would you say mid pregnancy woudl be a good idea for me, but consider dropping it as I get over... say... 32 weeks or so?

No experience to go on here-
Sarah K
I have learned enough to know I still have lots to learn.  Teach me.
My WTM Intro updated 9/2010

Offline KatieMac

• Master
  • Alice Magdalene
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2006, 05:46:53 AM »
Yeah, that is what I used it for. My cervix usually starts thinning, etc about 6 weeks before but my kids are always really, really "late." I don't know if the Evening Primrose is to blame or not for the early thinning...but for me nothing seems to get these kids out till they are good and ready. Someone more knowlegable should probablly answer.

Offline Ruby

• Adept
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2006, 06:13:25 AM »
The midwives I am going to always use EPO to soften the cervix.  When my sister-in-law was having trouble toward the end, she used it with great success to ripen the cervix.  I was under the impression we weren't to take EPO during pregnancy until the last 4-6 weeks because of this.

I've also been taking EPO for the past 2 months to help with hormonal problems.  But I was told only to take it during the first half of my cycle before ovulation and take flax oil the 2nd half.  Anyone know why that might be?  Anyway, I haven't noticed a bit of difference in my cycle so maybe I need the EPO the whole month?  I also took Red Raspberry for 9 months with no change in my cycle at all.  I'm getting very discouraged! 

Offline merryheart

• Learning
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2006, 08:29:13 AM »
Regarding the reasoning behind only taking EPO during the first half of your cycle (up until ovulation) - I have read in several places that EPO causes uterine contractions, and therefore could possibly cause early miscarriages if you were to become pregnant.  I don't know how well researched that fact is though.  I can't see that it would matter for someone who was not thinking they may become pregnant (unmarried or not ovulating, etc).  So, anyway, for what it's worth, that's what I know!  I've just started taking EPO regularly and am curious to see what it does for me. :-)

Offline Soñadora

• Adept
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2006, 01:05:59 PM »

I'll bet you're talking about the typing with my fingers crossed. 8) You know it! *finger pistols*

Offline SteveTallent

• Adept
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2006, 11:48:07 AM »
Just a note regarding dosages of EPO. In this thread there were people mentioning all sorts of different numbers of pills they were taking. It is important to note that Beeyoutiful EPO is very highly concentrated. We were comparing with a friend the other day. She said she was taking 6 gels daily. Turns out there were only 50mg of EPO in her gels. Beeyoutiful EPO contains 1300mg per gel. One per day is usually sufficient for maintenance, but it can also be taken as needed. We don't recommend it, but Steph took between 8 and 10/day for 1-2 days during her first cycle after miscarriage. Before taking them she was writhing. With them she was very functional, had no ill effects, and very little discomfort.
Any health info, or dosage recommendations are strictly my opinion and are not to be construed as the opinion or recommendation of Beeyoutiful.com unless otherwise stated.

Offline Soñadora

• Adept
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2006, 11:58:50 AM »
Wow, this is so weird! I was just logging on to ask about milligrams, because I was thinking I need to up my dosage. The ones I'm taking are only 500 mg. Anyway, thanks for answering before I even asked! :)

Offline seeker

• Adept
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2006, 02:10:49 PM »
My body has a problem digesting fats/greasy things. I have a terrible "attack" ??? when I eat anything that is greasy or anything that has melted butter or melted cheese in it. Therefore I am a little hesitant to take any capsules filled with oil. I have heard that freezing oil capsules may help those who have trouble taking fats or oils to digest the capsules with fewer or no problems. My question is this - if I freeze the Omega 3 6 9 and Evening Primrose capsules before I take them, will that interfere with their effectiveness?

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2006, 02:16:52 PM »
My body has a problem digesting fats/greasy things. I have a terrible "attack" ??? when I eat anything that is greasy or anything that has melted butter or melted cheese in it. Therefore I am a little hesitant to take any capsules filled with oil. I have heard that freezing oil capsules may help those who have trouble taking fats or oils to digest the capsules with fewer or no problems. My question is this - if I freeze the Omega 3 6 9 and Evening Primrose capsules before I take them, will that interfere with their effectiveness?

Sounds like you have gallstones.  Maybe you should do a gallbladder flush.   :o
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline seeker

• Adept
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2006, 02:21:21 PM »

Sounds like you have gallstones.  Maybe you should do a gallbladder flush.   :o

A doctor has looked at my gallbladder via ultrasound twice and there are no gallstones.