Author Topic: Risks/Dangers of Using Plastics to Store/Cook Foods and Beverages  (Read 30876 times)

Offline LoveSunflowers

• Master
Re: Risks/Dangers of Using Plastics to Store/Cook Foods and Beverages
« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2008, 11:01:36 AM »
Here is an informative site I just found.

http://www.pvcfree.org/

I haven't read through the entire site yet, but I thought I would put it on here before I forget. :)
Jess

Offline ShannaC

• Adept
« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2008, 07:36:48 AM »
I'm also wondering what others do for their kids. I just started giving my 3y.o. ds a plate like ours. For cold items I still let him use his plastic plates/bowls.  He also loves to use small glasses/cups that I have.  But we still use sippy cups sometimes.  I ordered some Klean Kanteen stainless steel drink containers.  Looking forward to using those and trying to get away from water bottles and sippy cups.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2008, 10:44:40 AM »
not sure where to post this,,,what  to do for kids dinnerware plates, bowls, utensils?  melamine looks bad...is that right?
http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,11171.0.html
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline kcb

• Adept
« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2008, 04:03:13 PM »
Here is an informative site I just found.

http://www.pvcfree.org/

I haven't read through the entire site yet, but I thought I would put it on here before I forget. :)
Jess

Jess, that site is great!  I've been hearing / researching the dangers of plastics, but I haven't seen many facts or stats about what the dangers are.  Mostly "It's bad for you" without data to back it up.

Offline LoveSunflowers

• Master
« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2008, 05:49:03 AM »
I thought it was good too, KCB! I couldn't say that when I posted the link but I gone back and read further and learned quite a bit.

For those interested in some plastic alternatives here is a site:

http://www.lifewithoutplastic.com

They have some neat products and 5 gallon glass jugs that would be an alternative to the polycarbonate jugs used in water coolers. I thought that was neat.

Jess

Offline mommie

• Master

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
« Reply #36 on: July 28, 2008, 06:52:21 PM »
A good article on the safety of nalgene bottles:
http://www.thegreenguide.com/doc/ask/nalgene
Come see me at www.gwens-nest.com
♥ Check out our family favorite recipes, funny kid stories, natural remedies and other creative and fun stuff.

Offline zmama

• Adept
« Reply #37 on: July 29, 2008, 09:59:51 AM »
I am interested in ridding our home of as much plastic as possible.  But for food storage in the fridge--say of condiments and the like--what do you ladies use for that?  Do you just not buy the stuff or do you buy it and transfer it to canning jars?  Also, what about food storage in the freezer?  If I make a big batch of muffins or chicken stock or if I want to freeze, rather than can, vegetables and fruits, what do you suggest for storage?  It just seems overwhelming to me when I see the amount of plastic in my freezer--from purchased veggies and fruits to what I use for food storage.  Maybe I'm misunderstanding the degree of the "purge" I need??  I'd appreciate any suggestions for how you ladies make the "plastic-free life" work!  Thanks!

Offline ladyhen

• Master
« Reply #38 on: July 29, 2008, 10:12:36 AM »
I am interested in ridding our home of as much plastic as possible.  But for food storage in the fridge--say of condiments and the like--what do you ladies use for that?  Do you just not buy the stuff or do you buy it and transfer it to canning jars?  Also, what about food storage in the freezer?  If I make a big batch of muffins or chicken stock or if I want to freeze, rather than can, vegetables and fruits, what do you suggest for storage?  It just seems overwhelming to me when I see the amount of plastic in my freezer--from purchased veggies and fruits to what I use for food storage.  Maybe I'm misunderstanding the degree of the "purge" I need??  I'd appreciate any suggestions for how you ladies make the "plastic-free life" work!  Thanks!

Here are my favorite storage containers, for any and all uses.  I buy them as the budget allows but I am not yet totally plastic-free.  I avoid putting any acidic foods into plastic.  I wouldn't have a problem with storing muffins or cookies in a plastic bag, though.   

http://www.pyrexware.com/index.asp?pageId=103&pid=348

It is completely up to you and your dh how far you want to go in eliminating plastic.   I get a bit extreme, at times, and dh brings sanity back to the issue. 
Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;    Titus 2:13

Offline mommie

• Master
« Reply #39 on: July 29, 2008, 01:22:54 PM »
If something comes in plastic container and there isn't a better way to buy it (ex: apple sauce comes in glass so I buy the glass) but say for Ketchup I leave it in the plastic...I think a one time use thing is probably OK depending on how severe you want to change things. For instance my coconut oil comes in a #2 plastic, one of my girlfriends won't buy it for that reason, but I say for the price difference I THINK its ok. When I store fruits and veggies/leftovers, etc I use canning jars (old apple sauce and pickle jars, etc) and than I also pack those in the freezer. I am trying to get some more glass containers lke Ladyhen mentioned cause stacking the jars in the freezer ( I freeze a lot) scares me. So far I have only lost one, but none the less, i have lost NUMEROUS plastic containers from them falling out of the freezer and the frozen plastic breaks all over. Anyways, I don't worry about zip locks and things of that nature when a suitable glass alternative isn't available, but I try to do the majority in glass. I think the BIGGEST problem is the reusing of the plastics and the heat in cleaning them in the dishwasher and this just adds to more and more leaching. Little by little so as to try not to overwhelm you and everyone else around you. For instance I had TONS of those glad ware containers I used to use for food leftovers. I just sent 2 big boxes of cookies to  my BILs and packed all the cookies in those containers so they wouldn't crush and I wouldn't feel like I was just throwing them away. Or if I'm having a busy night and had something in a plastic container I just throw it away instead of washing it, again I'm not normally so wastefully, but if i have a good excuse to throw the stuff away or give it away for a throw away container for a meal for a friend, little by little and soon I'll be out of it all!

Offline kcb

• Adept
« Reply #40 on: July 29, 2008, 01:39:08 PM »
Ok, I'm still not satisfied with the information I have found.  The internet articles keep saying that harmful chemicals are found in the plastic.  And they say that certain heating/cooling leaches the chemicals out of the plastic and into the food.  And I've seen a bit of info about what some of these chemicals can do to a person.  But does anyone know where to find the specifics:  How many people have reported being affected?  How much plastic does it take to affect you?  What symptoms should you look for?  Etc.  Everything seems so vague to me right now.

I guess part of my skepticism is rooted in the fact that I've had people trying to scare me by saying that practically everything in our culture is bad for us, from air conditioning to light bulbs to water, etc.  I'm all for keeping my health good, but surely our bodies are strong enough to withstand the lesser evils, I would think.

I'm not trying to douse the argument -- I'm actually looking for more specific info.  Does anyone here have the kind of info I'm looking for?  Thanks.

Offline Kelly the Kitchen Kop

• Adept
    • Kelly the Kitchen Kop
« Reply #41 on: August 02, 2008, 07:32:59 PM »
I actually did a post on this that has turned into my post with the all time most hits, hopefully it answers some of your questions.  The topic can be frustrating and confusing, that's for sure...

http://www.kellythekitchenkop.com/2008/02/plastic-water-bottles-5-plastic-safety.html

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
« Reply #42 on: August 23, 2008, 12:30:04 PM »
Ok, I'm still not satisfied with the information I have found.  The internet articles keep saying that harmful chemicals are found in the plastic.  And they say that certain heating/cooling leaches the chemicals out of the plastic and into the food.  And I've seen a bit of info about what some of these chemicals can do to a person.  But does anyone know where to find the specifics:  How many people have reported being affected?  How much plastic does it take to affect you?  What symptoms should you look for?  Etc.  Everything seems so vague to me right now.

I am on the same page with you. Our family is healthy, so it is hard for me to believe that things like common plastic containers are 'poisoning' us and such.  I hadn't worried about it, until I ran across this website.  It's not about plastic poisons.  But it has a great article about Xeno(manufactured/artificial) estrogens.  The estrogen mimicking chemical/hormone PBA seems to be the root of the scare about plastics.  After I read it, I asked my husband to read it as well.  He said that this, in his opinion warrants some action on our part.  I think we can all see some pretty immediate results of hormone disruption all around us (also read the phytoestrogen page...that's interesting as well.)  I personally know a little girl in the first grade who is developing noticable breasts.  Estrogen dominance is linked to infertility, weight problems, early puberty, all kinds of male hormone and fertility problems, gynocomastia (males who grow bre@sts) etc.  I suspect that a lot of these problems are never diagnosed as or linked to estrogen dominance, much less plastics or soy for that matter.  The doctors would rather just say 'we don't know why' than to take on the big industrial guns. 

I found the article to be extremely helpful.  The author discusses how these false estrogens were accidentally discovered, what they do in our bodies, and also points out which products to be most proactive about, as well as risk factors for the way we use plastics. 

http://www.cyst101.com/xeno.htm

(This site is written for an audience of women who deal with cysts on their ovaries, and should avoid all estrogen for this reason.  So there is a slant that may not apply to everyone...just be aware of that context for some of the recommendations.)

Hope this helps!
~Gwen
Come see me at www.gwens-nest.com
♥ Check out our family favorite recipes, funny kid stories, natural remedies and other creative and fun stuff.

Offline kcb

• Adept
« Reply #43 on: August 23, 2008, 01:52:34 PM »
Ok, I'm still not satisfied with the information I have found.  The internet articles keep saying that harmful chemicals are found in the plastic.  . . .  But does anyone know where to find the specifics:  How many people have reported being affected?  How much plastic does it take to affect you?  What symptoms should you look for?  Etc.  Everything seems so vague to me right now.

I am on the same page with you. Our family is healthy, so it is hard for me to believe that things like common plastic containers are 'poisoning' us and such.  I hadn't worried about it, until I ran across this website.  It's not about plastic poisons.  But it has a great article about Xeno(manufactured/artificial) estrogens.  The estrogen mimicking chemical/hormone PBA seems to be the root of the scare about plastics.  . . .

I found the article to be extremely helpful.  The author discusses how these false estrogens were accidentally discovered, what they do in our bodies, and also points out which products to be most proactive about, as well as risk factors for the way we use plastics. 

http://www.cyst101.com/xeno.htm

(This site is written for an audience of women who deal with cysts on their ovaries, and should avoid all estrogen for this reason.  So there is a slant that may not apply to everyone...just be aware of that context for some of the recommendations.)

Hope this helps!
~Gwen

Thanks.  That article did have some more specifics.  It's a very good article.

Offline WellTellMommy

• Adept
  • Ft. Banchee
DD 5yo---Mom, I think we should take a camera with us when we go to Heaven, it'll be so beautiful up there.

Sherri

Offline HeyMom

• Adept
    • My journey with Jesus as a young widow, Courage Road
« Reply #45 on: October 30, 2009, 10:25:10 AM »
I just made a major dent in ridding our home of plastic in the kitchen....don't know what got into me....had been thinking of it for awhile and now am wondering also about our microwave.

my kids are going to really think mom has lost it when I take that to Goodwill.....

I tried the link that Ladyhen had given to the pyrex site but it was broken and wouldn't show a picture.....

so am wondering beyond my canning jars what or who else has reasonably priced glass storage wear?
For the eyes of the Lord run to and fro throughout the whole earth, to show Himself strong on behalf of those whose heart is loyal to Him.
2 Chronicles 16:9
www.courageroad.blogspot.com

Offline ladyhen

• Master
« Reply #46 on: October 30, 2009, 10:34:16 AM »

I tried the link that Ladyhen had given to the pyrex site but it was broken and wouldn't show a picture.....

so am wondering beyond my canning jars what or who else has reasonably priced glass storage wear?

I'm sneaking in right behind you, HeyMom, and posting a new picture of that storage bowl!  I love these.  Sometimes, too, you can find really good glass or Corning containers at the thrift stores.  Determination will make you get creative. 

Pyrex covered storage dish
Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;    Titus 2:13

Offline mommie

• Master
« Reply #47 on: October 30, 2009, 10:53:07 AM »
I use old apple sauce jars and such (gives me an excuse to buy the already made stuff assuming the ingredients are pure :))
 But Walmart and kmart have good prices on pyrex ... check amazon.com too!! ;)