Author Topic: Kidney Stones: Preventing, Dissolving and/or Passing  (Read 41677 times)

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
Re: Kidney Stones: Preventing, Dissolving and/or Passing
« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2008, 10:37:01 AM »
I can tell you that those are common symptoms when passing a kidney stone (including throwing up) so maybe some sludge or gravel is breaking loose &/or being passed. Besides, vomiting is possible with any detoxing. HTH Blessings ~herbalmom

so you think he should continue on as it says?   he is inclined to back off or quit altogether.  should he just slow down?  and how would he do that?  it's teas, tinctures, veggies today, juices.  that's it.  he is in serious gut pain.  thanks for your help!
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline rebeccahuff

• Adept
  • www.homeschoolblogger.com/rebeccahuff
« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2009, 03:40:11 AM »
bump

continue? I am wondering the same thing? Vomitting due to detox...continue or back off?

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2009, 04:28:39 AM »
I'm reading through this thread, and I'm so confused.  I've read 'too much calcium in the diet', 'calcium not being abosorbed properly', and 'not enough calcium in the diet'. 

And then there's the issues of protien/acidity/oxalates.

HB quotes the green pharmacy:
phosphates and protein should be increased and maintained properly and oxalates should be reduced or avoided as these cause more stones.

and then Gabe says:
The reason most kidney stones form is usually from too little mineral rich foods in the diet... no calcium, no magnesium, no potassium, etc. A lot of proteins in the diet only exacerbates the problem as proteins tend to acidify the system and more minerals are excreted when the system is acidic.
…but for those of you that have stones that have not yet passed, eat a lot more greens and a lot less proteins. I am not an advocate of vegetarianism, but the average American diet is way overloaded on proteins. Go to your local farmers market, buy broccoli, spinach, and all kinds of other greens... and eat them raw if you can.”

and then Melie quotes “Herbs for Health and Healing”
If you are prone to kidney stones, play it safe and avoid such foods as rhubarb, spinach, beet greens, sorrel, green tea and chocolate.  All of these are rich in oxalic acid.

Can anyone clarify this information for me?  It looks contradictory, but I’m sure it all fits together somehow, and I’m just missing the connection.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 08:54:10 AM by hi_itsgwen »
Come see me at www.gwens-nest.com
♥ Check out our family favorite recipes, funny kid stories, natural remedies and other creative and fun stuff.

Offline Mrs. B

• Master
« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2009, 04:47:11 AM »

HB quotes the green pharmacy:
phosphates and protein should be increased and maintained properly and oxalates should be reduced or avoided as these cause more stones.

and then Gabe says
:…but for those of you that have stones that have not yet passed, eat a lot more greens and a lot less proteins.
and then Melie quotes “Herbs for Health and Healing”
If you are prone to kidney stones, play it safe and avoid such foods as rhubarb, spinach, beet greens, sorrel, green tea and chocolate.  All of these are rich in oxalic acid.

Gwen... this is what I'm seeing (emphasis added)I don't see this as contradictory info, but subtle changes in what is referenced.  To avoid formation of new ones drink lots of water, increase protein if deficient, and cut down on food/drinks rich in oxalic acids.  (you are in the south and tea, sweetened or otherwise, is rich in oxalic acid). 
TO pass them from your system I would, personally, not do the opposite, but I can see Gabe's reasoning. 

I had kidney stones ONCE.  After that I vowed that I would do whatever I could to prevent further ones.  Ten years later I haven't had any more and even made it thru a pregnancy without them.  For the first 2-3 years I cut out all tea (black, green, etc) and sodas, and drank only water.  While pregnant it was sometimes as much as a gallon a day, just so I could stay well-hydrated.  I also initially cut back on greens and chocolates.  The thing is that oxalates are pretty much in everything; it's just a matter on cutting back on the things that are overly rich.  I did slowly reintroduce teas, but stick with herbal blended green tea, no Luzianne or Lipton-style ones.  I still get what I consider to be my daily protein requirement, and drink between 2-3 liters of water a day.

Offline mauimom

• Adept
« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2009, 09:50:45 AM »
I have a question about cranberry juice and kidney stones.  A friend went to the doctor for his kidney stones and told the doctor that he faithfully drinks 8 oz of cranberry juice a day to prevent UTI's.  The doctor said to stop because that is what is causing his kidney stones.  Has anyone else encountered this?  According to the doctor, one preventive measure is causing a different problem.
So, my concern is that I just started my 5 year old dd on D-Mannose for her UTI symptoms, but am I going to cause her kidney stones?  Kidney stones run in my family, so I really don't want to add to the problem.

Any thoughts?

mauimom

Offline mauimom

• Adept
« Reply #35 on: August 17, 2009, 09:13:37 AM »
So no one has any opinions or thoughts???   ;D  Anyone??

Bump

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #36 on: August 17, 2009, 01:38:43 PM »
I have a question about cranberry juice and kidney stones.  A friend went to the doctor for his kidney stones and told the doctor that he faithfully drinks 8 oz of cranberry juice a day to prevent UTI's.  The doctor said to stop because that is what is causing his kidney stones.  Has anyone else encountered this?  According to the doctor, one preventive measure is causing a different problem.
So, my concern is that I just started my 5 year old dd on D-Mannose for her UTI symptoms, but am I going to cause her kidney stones?  Kidney stones run in my family, so I really don't want to add to the problem.

Any thoughts?

mauimom

That's the biggest crock of hooey I have ever heard.  The only problem I see with cranberry juice is the sugar if he's using regular store juice instead of the straight cranberry, no sugar variety.  You will not cause kidney stones with the mannose (if that were the case my DD would have had them LONG ago!).  Sugar won't cause kidney stones (from the juice), it's just sugar is not good for a person in that quantity.  He needs to drink lemon juice daily.  He won't get stones.  And your DD is safe.   ;)

patti
For I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I've committed unto him against that day.

Offline robjengrace

• Learning
« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2010, 08:01:25 AM »
I have questions related to kidney stones... My husband is in Africa for a couple of weeks and went to the hospital for what he found out was 3 kidney stones. He passed the largest one and they sent him home. He is no longer in pain and drinks alot of water to hopefully pass the other 2 without much trouble. The doctor told him to quit taking all his vitamins which were Super dad vitamins, and fish oil. They also put him on an antibiotic (don't know which one). He is already on 2 different series of antibiotics for something else. (He had to take them for 90 days for TB, he doesn't have it but tested positive for it so the antibiotics are precautionary.)
So he's on 3 different antibiotics and taking in very little nutrition right now. What should he be doing for his digestive health? Should he be taking tummy tune up or something like that? Is it ok to quit taking his vitamins? My concern is all the antibiotics not necessarily the stones. I have read the thread on kidney stones and found very good advice about cranberry and lemons etc.
Any help is much appreciated!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #38 on: April 09, 2010, 04:17:07 PM »
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline beelover

• Learning
« Reply #39 on: April 11, 2010, 03:31:16 PM »
Slippery elm is very good for digestive problems it will also provide him with some nutrition.  Immutol is a natural product that helps boost the immune system We give it instead of antibiotics.  

Offline Jesus_Princess

• Adept
  • Me and my best friend (aka my brother)
    • Thoughts from Ellerslie
« Reply #40 on: October 05, 2010, 02:10:05 PM »
My mom asked for a ultrasound but the doctor said the ultrasound will not show kidney stones.
True?
"Some wish to live within the sound of a chapel bell, I want to run a rescue shop within a yard of Hell."
          - C.T. Studd

My wonderful mommy is In Christ!

My Blog:
http://steppingheavenward-ellerslie.blogspot.com/

Offline brightspot

• Adept
« Reply #41 on: November 01, 2010, 03:18:48 PM »
My mom asked for a ultrasound but the doctor said the ultrasound will not show kidney stones.
True?

My daughter just had an ultrasound to check for kidney stones, haven't gotten the results back but I'd say it's safe to assume that an ultrasound WILL show the kidney stones since the Dr. ordered it!

Offline brightspot

• Adept
« Reply #42 on: November 01, 2010, 03:20:28 PM »
Has anyone any experience with kidney stones in a child? My 2yr old had a urine test that came back suggestive of kidney stones. She had an ultrasound Friday afternoon and I should get the results back tomorrow. What causes them in children and how do you deal with them?

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #43 on: November 01, 2010, 08:22:40 PM »
Has anyone any experience with kidney stones in a child? My 2yr old had a urine test that came back suggestive of kidney stones. She had an ultrasound Friday afternoon and I should get the results back tomorrow. What causes them in children and how do you deal with them?

Our DS had them.  We used lemon juice and water multiple times daily.  We used homeopathics to treat the pain.  His ended up breaking up and passing naturally with little to no pain.  he had more pain when it was in his ureters then he did actually passing it.

patti
For I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I've committed unto him against that day.

Offline brightspot

• Adept
« Reply #44 on: November 03, 2010, 01:41:24 PM »
Thanks, the results came back that she doesn't have kidney stones. We are to try to give her extra hydration and take her in for another urine test in two weeks. She has had four bouts of painful urination-once she held it for 11 hours- and there are no other symptoms. It goes away on its own without any type of treatment. We are a bit baffled!

Offline blessed2bamama

• Learning
« Reply #45 on: January 06, 2011, 09:28:03 AM »
I have been told I have a 9-10mm kidney stone. Dr says it will not pass . Now he says he cant do lithotripsy to bust it up. Says I have to have surgery.  >:(
My question is, if I use lemon juice or something to try to dissolve it, am I just making it worse or maybe causing it to get stuck or something? Surgery is not what I want, but neither do I want to end up in an emergency situation because I did something stupid. I have a large family to take care of and cant afford any "down time"
I was told by a friend to lemon juice, another told me to get something called "Phosfood" I dont know what to do. Dr is wanting to do surgery right away like in next few days as he says I am causing permanent damage to my kidney?????
What are my options, and what can I take now, and in the future to prevent this
Any help is appreciated....

Offline Jade

• Adept
« Reply #46 on: January 07, 2011, 10:10:55 AM »
blessed2bamama, I've never had kidney stones, so I'm not the voice of experience, but this is what I would personally try if I were in your shoes.

Stone Dissolve Tea

The Stone Dissolve Tea is supposed to work within three days. If it were me, and I could afford to, I'd pay for quick shipping, try the Stone Dissolve program, and decide if I wanted to go the surgery route after I'd already ruled out that option.

I've used other products of Dr. Foster's before, and while I think she's a little weird, I overlook that because her products have worked very well for us.

Agrimony is supposed to help relieve the pain of stones, as well as possibly help them to pass, but it can be a difficult herb to find.

As far as what you can do for in the future, Dr. Foster offers an entire program for kidney cleansing, and I'm sure that there are many others out there, as well.

Hope you find something that works for you!
"I walk without flinching through the burning cathedral of the summer.  My bank of wild grass is majestic and full of music.  It is a fire that solitude presses against my lips."  ~Violette Leduc

Offline paradisemamma

• Adept
« Reply #47 on: April 19, 2013, 03:27:10 AM »
I am 11 days postpartum with our 12th child.  I was told I have a 9mm kidney stone.  i had more stones 5 weeks ago and went to the ER but they finally dissolved or passed and only the 9mm remains.  What  are good ratios of lemon to water ......when is best..... ex.   1/2 Lemon juiced  in 1 cup water before eating in the morning? What about teas being greens to avoid? I am drinking 1-2 quart red raspberry leaf tea a day.  my body needs to recover.   I would really like to avoid surgery as well.  Any specifics would be helpful. THANK YOU!!!

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #48 on: April 19, 2013, 05:52:12 AM »
I just had a friend go through this.  Use 1 tsp. of lemon juice (or thereabouts) in 8oz. of water several times a day.  But also, get ahold of a tincture called Stonebreaker.  We found it on Amazon for $11.  It is NASTY stuff (she finally put it in grape juice to make it tolerable) but it eliminated her pain almost immediately (especially if she took it right when she was having an attack) and within a week or so she was fine.  No surgery required (and they had her scheduled!).  The only thing is you can't nurse while using it so she had to pump and dump.  But if it means no surgery it's worth it.  Maybe you can pump enough while you order it that you can use your breas*t milk while pumping and dumping for a week at least.  This stuff is WORTH it!  It will do kidney, gallbladder, or liver stones.