Author Topic: My dad had a major heart attack this morning  (Read 7972 times)

Offline wlwest

• Adept
My dad had a major heart attack this morning
« on: May 23, 2008, 03:11:13 PM »
It was quite a scare, they flew him in a helicopter to another hospital.  They showed us after he was all done, it was a total blockage of a major atery.  They put 2 stents? in.  I think that's what they are called. 

Anyway he is doing pretty good.  I know the doc said he had to take an aspirin every day, and plavix, and some cholesterol drugs.

I'm a little worried about all that medicine, but even more worried about the diet they will say he is to eat.  I know from reading Nourishing Traditions that it's pretty much the opposite of what all the "experts" say as far as diet goes.

But, i'm also worried about telling him to eat this or that and then have something happen again.

I know they said no more cheese, (which he loves) and I know I seen egg whites, etc. 

Can anyone tell me what foods he should stay away from?  I know he'll have to give up his junk foods, he has a habit of eating snacks in the evening, candy bars, donuts, etc.

Ok, or point me to another post, i probably just overlooked them.  I'm still a little nerved up.  :'(

thanks
wendy

Offline SarahLaRae

• Master
  • Sweet Anna
    • My Blog
Re: My dad had a major heart attack this morning
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2008, 03:24:45 PM »
Here is a thread on heart health that you might be able to glean some helpful info from..

http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,5537.msg58367.html#msg58367

Offline InEverything

• Adept
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2008, 04:22:45 PM »
I am so sorry-- I will pray for his recovery.
My FIL had a major heart attack this summer. The diet thing is very nerve wracking at first but has mellowed out a little now.
I would just say "everything in moderation".  My FIL used to plow through a big bag of peanut m&m's and he ate a lot of processed granola bars.

He avoids all processed foods now.  We have recommended the nourishing traditions/weston price stuff to him but it is all so foreign and would have been a huge change for them.

He eats oatmeal with flax seeds, raw honey and butter almost every morning now.  They try to have more salads.  We make a hawthorn tincture for him and I think CoQ10 is very important.

Just recommend a little at a time. Most importantly would be to avoid processed foods, unrefined carbs and too much sugar. Try to work in more raw foods.  Reduce caffeine if he drinks it. My FIL only has caffeine in the morning now and drinks decaf the rest of the day.
He is not on my ideal diet but we decided to just focus on the most important things and not overwhelm him. God Bless!
"in everything give thanks; for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus." 1 Thes. 5:18

Offline Rikki

• Adept
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2008, 05:37:47 PM »
My dad also had a stent put in. HE changed nothing about his diet and 11 months later he was blocked again. So we wnt strict Vegan for 3 months, he went back to the dr and was a bit better but not great. Then he started on cayenne and a heart tincture (hawthorn, ginger, garlic, etc) and when he went back months later (still eating a not so good diet) and his blood work was normal. The cayenne is definately what is saving his life every day. Go to www.herbdoc.com -- you can get some GREAT info there, and your dad could easily cure his heart disease and get off of his meds. My dad takes NOTHING daily except his heart formula and cayenne.
HTH!! you can pm me with questions!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2008, 03:50:33 AM »
My guess is the docs will tell him it's because of cholesterol that he had a heart attack, so I would recommend you search this site

http://www.westonaprice.org/

for "cholesterol" and start your reading there.  You could also glean alot of useful information from Sally Fallon's Eat Fat Lose Fat.  JMO

We also currently have a thread on cholesterol.

http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,13382.0.html
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline doug-again

• Learning
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2008, 08:19:56 AM »
Red meat should be avoided. When --- had a heart attack, it caused her chest pain, i think every time she ate it. She even had a heart attack once, immediately after eating some. She felt best by totally eliminating all animal products and anything that was sweetened or salted, with the exception of some selected fruits. It was also important for her to avoid stress, as that also caused her chest pains. She was prescribed a ginko hawthorn supplement. Walking often and eating properly were crucial to her recovery. Supposedly, if oatmeal is eaten on a daily basis, it removes cholesterol from the body. Omega 3 fatty acids are said to be very beneficial, found in flax seeds or salmon, or  from other sources. Love, support and a positive outlook all attribute to a persons recovery. It is very important to feel loved, cared for, and needed to have a quick and healthy recovery. I hope he has a complete recovery soon.

(Doug's wife)
« Last Edit: May 24, 2008, 08:23:35 AM by doug-again »

Offline InEverything

• Adept
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2008, 08:30:47 AM »
My dad also had a stent put in. HE changed nothing about his diet and 11 months later he was blocked again. So we wnt strict Vegan for 3 months, he went back to the dr and was a bit better but not great. Then he started on cayenne and a heart tincture (hawthorn, ginger, garlic, etc) and when he went back months later (still eating a not so good diet) and his blood work was normal. The cayenne is definately what is saving his life every day. Go to www.herbdoc.com -- you can get some GREAT info there, and your dad could easily cure his heart disease and get off of his meds. My dad takes NOTHING daily except his heart formula and cayenne.

How do you prepare the cayenne? We have been wanting to add it to my FIL's routine. Right now his hawthorn is prepared in a ACV solution.

His cholesterol is way down- we can't be sure if it is from the oatmeal but he is faithful about eating it!
"in everything give thanks; for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus." 1 Thes. 5:18

Offline beppyjo

• Adept
    • My Blog
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2008, 02:18:22 PM »

Is the heart tincture that you mentioned the supplement listed on the herbdoc site? My Dad has heart probs too and I would like to look into this more. Thanks!

Offline Rikki

• Adept
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2008, 05:00:25 AM »

Is the heart tincture that you mentioned the supplement listed on the herbdoc site? My Dad has heart probs too and I would like to look into this more. Thanks!

Yes it is! I used to make his tinctures but the more I researched about Dr. Schulze products the more I loved them. Everything I have bought works amazingly well and is super potent. We buy several of his products and they are really awesome!

Offline wlwest

• Adept
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2008, 07:32:25 AM »
Thanks so much for all the help!  So far he is doing good.  He felt a little dizzy today.  He has quit "chewing" tobacco and has been walking a little.  I think he will do ok but once he goes back to work I worry about stress.  Mostly from my older brother.  They work together.

Ok, I'm going to check out the info. I gave mom my copy of nourshing traditions last night.  :)

Thanks
Wendy