Author Topic: Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD): Causes & Cures  (Read 19480 times)

Offline sarajane

• Adept
    • www.herbsareeasy.com
Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD): Causes & Cures
« on: August 09, 2006, 07:56:25 PM »
My husband and I suspect I have this in a mild form.  :-[ It has thus far caused me great emotional distress as my obsession is of an emotional/spiritual nature. After exhausting all other explanations my husband told me he thinks that this is what is wrong with me and wants me to seek a solution for my own sake and that of my family.

I'm not big on doctors and most definately don't have not even a tenth of the funds it would cost to see one. If there is any, and I mean any, information on OCD that you can share with me it would be greatly appreciated. If any of you have it maybe you could share some of the "symptoms" as this would help me to know for sure whether or not this is even what it is.

I had suspected it in the past but turned away from the thought because I wanted to believe I could "think" (so to speak) my way out of it. I could control my thoughts more than that, know what I mean?

My mother has OCD and depression, I guess I am following in her footsteps. I even picked up some of her quirks as habits simply by watching her while I was growing up. Checking the locked door over, and over, and then asking "Are you sure we locked that?" many times throughout the day. I thought at first that all my "symptoms" were just habits like this but it has gone beyond that.

Anyway, thanks in advance for any information.
Mommy to Neveah, 2 year old who lives with Jesus, Larissa 4, Gavin 2. Help meet to Jason for 9 years.

Offline jaemom

• Adept
Re: Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD): Causes & Cures
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2006, 05:17:12 AM »
A doctor once wanted to diagnose me with mild OCD.  I've been exhibiting the symptoms ever since I can remember.  Before I even knew what it was called or that there was a name for it, I tried to train myself to stop the "odd" behavior.  Every time I would overcome one eccentricity, I would replace it with another.  I've gone through several obsessions from avoiding stepping on cracks to checking locked doors frequently.   ::)  I still have OCD tendencies and when I get really stressed I start the repeated behaviors again.  My biggest helps have been avoiding getting over stressed and change in diet.  My "pet" obsession has always been the number 7.  I decided that I would allow myself one "check".  For example, at night after I was in bed, I would allow myself one time to get out of bed and check the doors and windows.  After that, I would pray.  I really haven't noticed any "tics" since I changed my diet.  I wonder if this is caused by a vitamin or mineral deficiency.
Wife to J (10 yrs)
Mom to B (9), G (7), G (2), and B (1)

Offline sarajane

• Adept
    • www.herbsareeasy.com
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2006, 10:37:06 AM »
I was thinking of tinkering with my diet some. Have you ever taken St. John's Wort on a bad day? Did it help? I know that it is mostly for depression type symptoms but on my bad days I feel depressed because of my obsessions.  :-\

My mother as I mentioned has OCD but was also diagnosed with depression.

I am nervous about taking even that while nursing though. Neveah still nurses a lot. Thanks for you input.
Mommy to Neveah, 2 year old who lives with Jesus, Larissa 4, Gavin 2. Help meet to Jason for 9 years.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2006, 02:53:13 PM »
Candida Yeast/Fungal overgrowth has been found to be a common occurrence in many disorders and is also present in millions of other people who cannot figure out what is wrong with them, or what to do about it.

Symptoms vary from person to person and fluctuate in severity, or may come and go. Most symptoms are invisible, which makes it difficult for others to understand the vast array of debilitating symptoms with which we contend.

The most common are:...

Psychological problems may include:

* depression
    * irritability
    * anxiety
    * panic attacks
    * recurring obsessive thoughts
    * personality changes and mood swings (irrational rage or crying for no reason - fear of talking to people, any kind of confrontation, isolation)
    * paranoia...
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2006, 03:39:34 PM »
I really never thought about OCD being as you described.  I do weird things like memorize license plates when I am behind a car, count steps whenever I walk up or down them, or constantly look out the window to see if the mail is there.  I really don't see it as a problem but just a different way of handling a mundane situation or something stressful.  If I am driving, I am usually impatient, so I must memorize things.  If my mind is empty, then it is bored, so I am filling it with nonsensical things to do. 
Are your OCD's really bothersome?  I guess I just consider this a way of life.  I am very patterned oriented, too.  I think this helps.  I am not sure if an OCD is a nervine condition or what.  So figuring out what herbs to take would be difficult to determine.  I don't see it as a problem, unless there is the depression that goes with it.  I am not depressed, but you say it runs in your family.  You are nursing so perhaps your hormones are just out of balance, but you are taking some supplements that I have read in some of your other posts, so I am not sure what you are lacking.  So, I don't know what to recommend as far as supplements.  I guess it just depends on how severe your symptoms are.

Offline jaemom

• Adept
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2006, 06:18:14 AM »
I have never taken St. John Wort, but was on anti-drepressants briefly which seemed to help.  When I stopped taking them, I got worse, but I didn't want to become dependent on them.  I think my OCD tendencies are definitely ways that I cope with stress.  I would agree with HB on the Candida issue as well.  Since I have started eating healthier I have noticed I am better.  I am currently trying to get rid of our family's yeast problems, so I'm hoping it will take care of it completely.  The biggest change I have made is drinking more water.  I have tried to do the water cure, but can't manage to get as much water as they recommend down.  I have also eliminated a lot of pasta, bread, and processed foods from my diet.  I'm not religious about it, but it seems to have helped.  I think we probably all have "odd" behaviors that we do, whether they are learned or something we feel we must do.  I think it's ok as long as it doesn't interfere with our normal lives.  When I start driving my hb or myself crazy, I start looking at how I can change.   :)
Wife to J (10 yrs)
Mom to B (9), G (7), G (2), and B (1)

Offline dara

• Master
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2006, 06:28:31 AM »
An easy aid to the nervous system is Celestial Seasoning's Tension Tamer tea, as well as Lemon Verbena/ Lemon Balm tea (I grow those). These herbs are helpful for nervous tension and the nervous system.
"Write your hurts in the sand
and grave your blessings in stone."

Offline sarajane

• Adept
    • www.herbsareeasy.com
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2006, 09:05:48 AM »
Thank you everyone for your replies. I will definatly start trying to treat for Candida after I am done nursing and try those teas too. I like tea.

It does seem wierd to me the way mine is. I really didn't want to believe it but when I came to my husband yet again feeling awful he said a lightbulb just went on in his head that this could be my trouble. I mean, I was worrying and worrying and depressed and scared and couldn't say why. It was so frustrating. I actually felt better knowing that this could be an explanation. Now to deal with it.

Considering the nature of my obsessions I was worried that this was just an excuse but I am sure it isn't now. If I remember right my mother did have a lot of emotional obsessions with hers so I guess that is just how it happens for some people.

Thanks again. Any more information is appreciated. Nice to know I'm not the only one too!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2006, 09:09:00 AM »
I've also posted some more info related to this topic in another thread:  Depression, Anxiety and other Neurological/Mental Disorders
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline sarajane

• Adept
    • www.herbsareeasy.com
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2006, 09:09:26 AM »
Oh, and another thing I just thought of. My chiropractor as well as my dad think I have either an irritated or damaged nerve. My car got rearended years ago and I have had kneck trouble ever since. Maybe this could be related? It has recently gotten worse as I even had dizziness, sharp pains, a foggy feeling, sore spots in my back from time to time, etc. Many wierd and annoying things!

Really it got worse after I had my baby via c-section. They did a lot of poking in my back and it never worked (the epi). :-\

Offline sarajane

• Adept
    • www.herbsareeasy.com
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2006, 09:09:58 AM »
Thanks HB, I'll check it out.  :)

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2006, 10:53:02 AM »
Really it got worse after I had my baby via c-section. They did a lot of poking in my back and it never worked (the epi). :-\

Read this thread:  Whiplash, Neck & Shoulder Pain
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline kittyninja

• KITTYNINJA
  • Master
    • blogger
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2006, 11:49:55 AM »
Wow  :oi never liked to think of myself as OCD-i don't like labels but it makes me think.  On a long ride home last night i mentioned this thread and i started telling my husband some stuff i used to do since childhood...some things have carried over. their are also differant "weird" obsessions i have now. His response "WOw hunny, you need help!"  I started to cry. I didn't want to admit that maybe there was something "wrong"- but i KNOW-just the way i behave and how hard it is to deal with these things. Ummm for instance the mail thing-i obsessively check for the mail-don't know why but i realize it occupies i good part of my time and attention-it may seem miniscule but there are things that really CONTROL my life.. and ruin my day :(. I try to reason with myself but sometimes to no avail. Anyways-there are a myriad other oddities i see in myself that are making it hard on my husband and kids. I DO believe it has to do with  my diet. My hubby wants to find out more and wants me to "heal" myself. Well, he really said "Ask God to take it all away" and I have but i still fight with it.

SO THANKS HB i printed up the articles and i am going to take another step towards ridding myself of this odd behavior-for my kids and hubby sake-i've gotten worse lately.
  I started the water cure today and eliminating lotsa sugar...it's a start

Offline hedy

• Adept
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2006, 06:24:10 PM »
Not sure if this will help, but check out The Schwarzbein Principle from the library or something (an excellent book on diet) and read the chapter on serotonin levels.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2007, 04:54:33 PM by hedy »

Offline BigMeanMamma

• Learning
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2008, 11:16:57 AM »
I found this thread and its kind of old, but I'm wondering if anyone has had any success treating OCD. Enough time has lapsed to know if any treatments were useful or not.

My daughter age 10 is having difficulty with many of these type symptoms.

As to causes I read a study recently that linked OCD to strep throat and antibiotic use.  Which could explain a yeast connection. It is a neurological problem and I'm sure could have many influences.
Thanks Ladies,
Lesa

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2008, 11:58:22 AM »
My daughter has a tendency towards OCD when she's fighting yeast.  Treating yeast and giving daily doses of CLO helps tremendously.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2008, 12:24:58 PM »
My daughter has a tendency towards OCD when she's fighting yeast. 

I agree with this. I have found this to be true in my research for a cure for Tourettes's syndrome; which is a form of OCD's.  Treat for yeast and or fungal infection and see if there is an improvement.

Offline DHW

• Adept
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2011, 04:17:47 AM »
From Jonathan V. Wright, M.D.:

OCD and drug free

Q: My daughter has been diagnosed with obsessive-compulsive disorder, and I'm concerned about the medications her doctor wants to put her on. Are there any natural approaches to treating it?

Dr. Wright: It's true that a variety of patented psychotropic medications (especially SSRI-type antidepressants) have been found effective in reducing the symptoms of obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD), but it's also true that every single one of them has significant adverse effects.

Fortunately, there's a natural solution to the problem that has virtually no side effects. It's an important natural metabolite in humans called inositol. In a double-blind crossover study, 13 individuals with significant OCD took either 18 grams (18,000 mg) daily of inositol powder or a placebo in random order for six weeks. When tested on a well-recognized scale of measurement for OCD symptoms, these individuals all tested better during the time they were taking inositol than they did when they took the placebo. You can get inositol from natural food stores, compounding pharmacies, and from the Tahoma Clinic Dispensary.

Offline herbs girl

• Master
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2011, 10:49:42 AM »
I actually have OCD, and it was bad enough my husband wanted me to get help/ and or meds for it.  Inositol powder mkaes me irratible towards my family, short of patience.

ALmost Pure EPA fish oil  has taken my OCD down my husband cand notice a difference!
 This is not ordinary Fish oil, It has secured its position as an Antidepressent in Europe!

Its called PlusEPA
and I read that it is  has been clincly proven as good as Prozac...
http://www.scicompdf.se/adhd/jazayeri_2008.pdf

There are testemonials here about PlusEPA and OCD
http://www.iherb.com/Minami-Nutrition-PlusEPA-60-Softgels/9225?at=0

Offline DHW

• Adept
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2011, 04:13:18 PM »
Here are some suggestions on supplements:
http://www.integrativepsychiatry.net/obsessive_compulsive_disorder.html

Here is an excerpt:
Natural Treatment Remedies for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD)

The following OCD supplements may provide natural relief for OCD symptoms. We use these OCD supplements in our clinic either by themselves or in combination with an SSRI anti-depressant.

EndoPlus Spray is an easy to administer liposomal oral spray containing theanine and 5-HTP. Reduces anxiety by increasing GABA and Serotonin levels.

Homocysteine Metabolite Regulators is a formula that improves methylation. The methylation process has been shown to be deficient in most OCD sufferers.

Inositol helps in neurotransmission and is usually very helpful those with high histamine levels. Inositol usually provides calming throughout the day and ability to sleep at night.

L Tryptophan or 5-Hydroxytryptophan (5HTP) increases serotonin levels, calming OCD symptoms. Also helps with sleep.

Kavinace combines two powerful ingredients that have shown to be effective at addressing symptoms of stress, anxiousness, irritability, hyperactivity, and sleep problems. Kavinace contains the GABA derivative, Phenibut which crosses the blood brain barrier more easily than GABA.

Ultra 5HTP Contains St.Johns Wort plus 5HTP to reduce OCD symptoms. Do not take with an SSRI.

Offline DHW

• Adept
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2011, 04:25:26 PM »
I did read one suggestion for inositol: small, frequent doses to avoid GI upset, and also irritability is probably due to large doses.  Perhaps the irritability would also be less if the inositol were taken in small, frequent doses.

Offline herbs girl

• Master
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2011, 06:48:14 AM »
I did read one suggestion for inositol: small, frequent doses to avoid GI upset, and also irritability is probably due to large doses.  Perhaps the irritability would also be less if the inositol were taken in small, frequent doses.

I have tried taking Inositol numerous times and it just is not for me! :) I have side effects from it, nothing serious just cant live with being irratible all the time!

The EPA fish oil is something that is a natural alternative and basicly almost equal to pharmacuetical  drugs in effectivness.  The PlusEPA is something I feel comfortable taking forever, and I dont feel comfortable taking Antidepressents forever! Fish oil seems to calm my symptoms down enough so that I can live with it, and work with it. Otherwise, its harder for me to cope!

Different things work for different poeple. Fish oil I just felt was super safe, and a more long term thing for me.

Offline DHW

• Adept
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2011, 04:08:29 AM »
Fish oil is great stuff!  I am glad you found it.  More than once I have tried what the experts recommend only to find "different things work for different people."  It is great to know the alternatives.

"Feed the brain" is what always comes to mind now when someone mentions neuro symptoms.  Fish oil, coconut oil, saturated fats, amino acids, B-vitamins (esp niacinamide) and nervine herbs come to mind.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
  My favorite herb book!!