Author Topic: Yogurt & Kefir: Recipes & Hints  (Read 190815 times)

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
Re: Yogurt & Kefir: Recipes & Hints
« Reply #60 on: July 02, 2006, 06:21:28 AM »
I tried making yogurt with gelatin, honey, and vanilla.  It turned out like soup. 
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #61 on: July 02, 2006, 06:23:05 AM »
I have had my kefir in the same milk for about a week.  I probably killed it.  I didn't know what else to do with it, because I'm not feeding it my milk - it's too expensive.  It tasted so nasty it would be like throwing my milk down the drain.

Can I still salvage the grains and put them in something else?  Can I just put them in some sugar water or something? 
  My favorite herb book!!

Elbereth

« Reply #62 on: July 03, 2006, 02:47:03 PM »
For the life of me, I can't find the thread where Rebeka asks for ideas of different easy ways to make yogurt.  I found one because my oven has neither a dependable "150 degrees" setting nor an oven light.  I do not have the money for a yogurt maker, and call me lazy, but the whole cooler-water thing just sounds too complicated for me. ::)  I just use a thermos I bought from Wal-Mart.  It's one of those stainless steel jobs.  I already had one, so it didn't cost anything extra...

You just fill up the thermos with water, pour the water into a pan, and boil.  Pour back into the thermos and close and set aside.

Then...
heat the milk to 180 degrees, let it cool to 110, pour out the water from the thermos, pour in the milk, close, wrap the thermos with a couple of towels and place in a spot where it won't get jostled.  8 hours later...Yogurt. ;)

Offline SHERRI REEL

• Adept
« Reply #63 on: July 07, 2006, 07:20:54 AM »
I GOT MY RECIPE FOR YOGURT FROM THE HILLBILLYHOUSEWIFE.COM AND IT CALLS FOR DRY MILK BECAUSE IT'S CHEAPER -FREE ON WIC.
Just learn'n but pioneer at heart.
Sherri

Offline diaperswyper

• Adept
  • A DOUBLE BLESSING!!
« Reply #64 on: July 10, 2006, 02:54:37 AM »
I know that making yogurt was discussed somewhere but, was wondering if i can use honey instead of sugar when making it. Would that somehow affect it negatively when it sets up?

Offline dara

• Master
« Reply #65 on: July 18, 2006, 04:41:38 AM »
Alright, I know some of you are making goat milk yogurt; what am I missing? I pulled some out of the fridge this morning... and poured the kids a glass of snot. Garrett told me "it even feels like snot". OK, you didn't want to know that, but here's how I made it. I warmed 1 qt. of milk to ~170 degrees (using a candy therm), let it cool to 110 degrees, added 1/3 c. sucanat, 1 t. vanilla, 1t. gelatin, and 1T. yogurt for starter (store bought Dannon). I whisked it all together, poured into a thermos, left overnight before fridging, chilled all day and night, and this morning, it smelled great (like yogurt smells), tasted fine, but looked awfully slimy. Do you have success with goat milk yogurt? If so, please tell me how you do it! 
« Last Edit: July 18, 2006, 04:56:20 AM by dara »
"Write your hurts in the sand
and grave your blessings in stone."

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #66 on: July 18, 2006, 07:25:43 AM »
I had the same problem when I presweetened my skim milk yogurt. It came out very snotty even with the gelatin in it.  Without the sweetner, it gelled up very nicely.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline dara

• Master
« Reply #67 on: July 18, 2006, 08:06:38 AM »
Thanks! I'll try it that way today.

Offline TJ

• Learning
« Reply #68 on: July 21, 2006, 11:27:19 AM »
i am new to this kefir thing,but would love to try it.  I've been looking around where to buy starter and have found it very expensive.  Have you ever heard of freeze dried starter?  available for the cheapest price I've found at this website
http://www.urbanhomemaker.com/customer/home.php?cat=287
Is it OK to use?  What's the best, most nutritious way to start kefir.

Another question;  someone told me that my son who is allergic to dairy (throws up everytime he eats it) would be able to drink kefir made from raw cows milk.  ever heard of that?
would welcome any input on this
When the mystery of God's timing remains hidden, we can cling to the certainty
of His matchless wisdom and His unfailing love.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #69 on: July 21, 2006, 11:35:27 AM »
i am new to this kefir thing,but would love to try it.  I've been looking around where to buy starter and have found it very expensive. 

You can find it for the price of shipping at this website:  http://www.torontoadvisors.com/Kefir/kefir-list.php

Some will even give it to you, if you can pick it up.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline jessyru

• Adept
« Reply #70 on: July 24, 2006, 10:29:33 AM »
I apologize if this question is redundant. If I use homogenized milk to make yogurt or kefir, am I still at the same risk for all the detrimental effects of drinking a glass of homogenized milk? If the benefits don't outweigh the risks, then I'd rather not make the effort. Thanks!
Prove all things; hold fast that which is good.
~1 Thessalonians 5:21

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #71 on: July 24, 2006, 01:45:35 PM »
I apologize if this question is redundant. If I use homogenized milk to make yogurt or kefir, am I still at the same risk for all the detrimental effects of drinking a glass of homogenized milk? If the benefits don't outweigh the risks, then I'd rather not make the effort. Thanks!

Fermentation (yogurt, kefir, & buttermilk) take care of the fact that the milk has been pasturized but I'm not sure it would cover or reverse the effects of homogenization because it's about the pulverization of fats not the destruction of enzymes and bacteria.  Although, I could be wrong.  ::)
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline mishy

• Master
« Reply #72 on: July 24, 2006, 02:30:50 PM »
I wondered that too.  Since the consistency is changed.  I wonder. 

Offline SHERRI REEL

• Adept
« Reply #73 on: July 24, 2006, 03:03:32 PM »
Anyone from Mo. willing to share kefir grains,or someone willing to ship to Mo.?
Sherri
Just learn'n but pioneer at heart.
Sherri

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #74 on: July 24, 2006, 03:09:18 PM »
Anyone from Mo. willing to share kefir grains,or someone willing to ship to Mo.?
Sherri
http://www.torontoadvisors.com/Kefir/kefir-list.php
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline ~esposita~

• Master
    • Family Fotos
« Reply #75 on: July 25, 2006, 04:28:42 AM »
Well, I've tried yogurt a few times and just can't seem to get it right!  It is watery and thin and slightly sour.  I've tried adjusting according to what I've read here...to no avail!  One good thing is that my DD doesn't care!  She loves it anyway!  But, hubby and I like a thicker yogurt.  So, my man wants to get me a yogurt maker for his birthday ::).  Any suggestions?
My attempt at blogging:  The Carpenter's Wife

Offline SC

• Guru
  • Ephesians 5:2
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #76 on: July 25, 2006, 05:11:14 AM »
So, my man wants to get me a yogurt maker for his birthday ::).  Any suggestions?

Say, "Thankyou!" Include big hug and kiss!  :-* ;D
I'm no doctor . . .             I'm not even a Post hole Digger! ;)
See what works for me at LexingtonSlim.com

Offline natural

• Adept
« Reply #77 on: July 25, 2006, 05:12:18 AM »
I have a Salton yogurt maker I bought from Amazon for 10 or15 dollars. My yogurt is still runny there must be something else causing our problem ???
4 yo Maciah: Mamma I am scared the wind is howling.
Me: Go to sleep Jesus will protect you.
4 yo Maciah: (stretching his chin to chest) But, but I can't see Jesus my head can't reach into my heart.

Offline dara

• Master
« Reply #78 on: July 25, 2006, 05:30:41 AM »
Are you adding sweetner before you incubate? Apparently some can do that and get away with it, but HB and I have better success adding afterward. Not as "nice" to have to stir it after it sets, but until I figure something else out (like I'd like to experiment with adding pectin...) that's what I'll do. We use it most in smoothies anyway.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #79 on: July 26, 2006, 06:15:26 AM »
I have a new recipe for yogurt that you cucumber lovers may like.  MIL brought some cucs over and told me to make them up with mayo to taste a bit like creamy cucumber dressing.  I did it and all we could really taste was the mayo despite all the seasonings I added, so I added some yogurt and it soured it up just enough to give it a tang. 

Next time, I'm going to leave the mayo out altogether.

I cured the cucs (sliced and peeled) in sea salt for 15-30 minutes.  Rinse.  Salt to taste, add pepper, dill weed to taste and then add enough fresh yogurt to make it creamy.  Chill.

I might also try some garlic and/or onion powder next time.
  My favorite herb book!!

Lydia

« Reply #80 on: August 02, 2006, 02:44:46 AM »
i saw the recipe for yogurt in the magazine this month.

i have a easiest yogurt making way and you don't even need yogurt maker or anything. we buy milk from a farm and I heat the milk in a double boiler(milk boiler - where water heats the milk). I cool it until it gets warm enough(the same temp you had mentioned). I add a 1/2 teaspoon of store yogurt(danon) containing acidophillus(the firsttime and then use my own yogurt from next time onwards) and keep it in my oven with light on(for about 6-8 hours). the oven light keeps the milk warm enough to become yogurt. i make it in a tupperware or stainless tell container that has tight lid on. simple and easy. we come from a tropical country and i always remember my mom leaving the milk just outside bcoz the warm temperature just helps it!
 when it is really cold in the winter i warm the oven at 170 degrees exactly for 90 seconds(switch off after then) so the air inside the oven gets warmer and shut the oven after i keep the milk in.
you just need to play by the temp outside. these summer days i don't even have to on my oven light.

1. if it is too hot outside just leave it inside the oven without doing anything,
2. if it is the fall/spring leave it with the oven light on.
3. if it is the winter warm the oven(170 degrees) for 90 seconds. and leave the oven light on.
for all you need about 6-8 hours. i usually do it just before i go to bed and get the yogurt in the morning. and if you want it sour or not sour you can adjust when you want to take it out. then i keep in the fridge ready for our lunch!

hope this helps. I have seen ladies struggling to make yogurt. i hope this helps. try it and suit yourself.  :)
« Last Edit: October 10, 2006, 05:02:35 AM by Lydia »

Offline diaperswyper

• Adept
  • A DOUBLE BLESSING!!
« Reply #81 on: August 02, 2006, 03:26:32 AM »
Well, I've tried yogurt a few times and just can't seem to get it right!  It is watery and thin and slightly sour.  I've tried adjusting according to what I've read here...to no avail!  One good thing is that my DD doesn't care!  She loves it anyway!  But, hubby and I like a thicker yogurt.  So, my man wants to get me a yogurt maker for his birthday ::).  Any suggestions?
  Don't know how fussy you are about dry milk, but i make a gallon of yogurt at a time, if you add about a cup of dry milk to the mixture it makes the perfect consistency. After you heat the milk and cool it down to about 115-120 degrees,(i do an ice water bath) mix 1 cup cooled milk, your yogurt starter, and about 1 cup powdered milk, and then add the mixture to the rest of the milk. Put the lid on and let it set for an hour and half in your oven, and then set in fridge overnight. Works great. It's not drinkable, just nice and smooth. Good luck.

Offline dara

• Master
« Reply #82 on: August 02, 2006, 03:41:47 AM »
I just read a new recipe for custard style goat milk yogurt, and it said to make 1 qt. yogurt plain, no additives but culture, with the exception of optional powdered milk. Set aside. In a saucepan, heat to boiling: 1 pkg plain gelatin, 1/4 sugar (or equiv. sweetner), 3c. fruit, 1/2 c. water. Cool gelatin mixture; when cool, stir in yogurt, refridgerate several hours till set.

Offline oliveoil

• Adept
« Reply #83 on: August 08, 2006, 04:05:41 AM »
I made yogurt last night at about 7:30 and forgot to put it in the fridge when it was done...it was probably done sometime around midnight...do you think it's bad? do I have to throw it all out? it's a non-electric incubator. I hate to toss a whole batch of yogurt.

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #84 on: August 08, 2006, 04:07:44 AM »
i'm no expert, but i would eat it!  i would figure it's just more cultured.  anyone else know better?   :o ::) ;D ???
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline mexmarr

• Master
« Reply #85 on: August 08, 2006, 04:44:42 AM »
I made yogurt last night at about 7:30 and forgot to put it in the fridge when it was done...it was probably done sometime around midnight...do you think it's bad? do I have to throw it all out? it's a non-electric incubator. I hate to toss a whole batch of yogurt.

I can't tell you how many times I have done that...... :-\  We always eat it, and we haven't  died yet....

Offline koco

• Learning
« Reply #86 on: August 08, 2006, 07:30:04 AM »
i've forgotten as well and ate it anyway, it was just more sour and  little thicker.  Last time i forgot i used some of it to make another batch and it didn't work (it did't thicken), although i did a couple other things different which may have contributed to the problem and hopefully someone can enlighten me.   i only heated to 110 degrees (i thought i read on another thread that someone does that and it works) then i forgot to separate a small amount to stir the starter into before adding it to the rest  ::).  i just stirred it into the whole batch.  Is it ok to use this milky concoction  ????   thanks 
Faith makes things possible, not easy.

Offline mexmarr

• Master
« Reply #87 on: August 08, 2006, 07:37:30 AM »
then i forgot to separate a small amount to stir the starter into before adding it to the rest  ::).  i just stirred it into the whole batch.  Is it ok to use this milky concoction  ????   thanks 

I always stir my starter into the whole batch.  I make my yogurt by the gallon, and that has never been a problem....

I would use it.  It would be good for shakes or in baking. 

Offline kamom

• Adept
« Reply #88 on: August 08, 2006, 08:59:56 AM »
I ALWAYS leave my yogurt out overnight, in a Igloo of warm water. ::)  And I ALWAYS dump my starter "a little bit of the old yogurt" right into my new batch, shake it a little bit and put the covered jars into the igloo for the night.  ;D   When I get to the kitchen in the morning I put it in the fridge to cool before we enjoy it.  I guess theres more then one way to skin the cat. ;D  or.......make the yogurt.

Offline koco

• Learning
« Reply #89 on: August 08, 2006, 09:09:54 AM »
does anyone heat the milk to 110 degrees then add the starter or do you have to heat it to 180 then let it cool to 110.  my understanding is that the only reason to heat to 180 is to kill bacteria, which means its pasturized (right?) and since i use fresh raw cow's milk wouldn't that defeat the purpose of using raw milk? 
Faith makes things possible, not easy.