Author Topic: Yogurt & Kefir: Recipes & Hints  (Read 190872 times)

Offline orcuttranch

• Adept
Re: Yogurt & Kefir: Recipes & Hints
« Reply #390 on: May 26, 2009, 08:27:16 AM »
Has anyone made yogurt with soy milk?  I don't personally use it, but someone I was talking to was wondering if it would work. 

Offline purewellspring

• Adept
« Reply #391 on: May 26, 2009, 11:12:44 AM »
FWIW, in the book Super Baby Food she talks about making yoghurt with Soy milk (she's big into soy), and according to her it works fine. :)

Offline HOMEFree

• Adept
    • Spark This Marriage - Christian marriage & romance boutique
« Reply #392 on: August 16, 2009, 11:48:05 AM »

"Over" kefirred milk could be turned into some deluxe creme fraiche. People use this instead of cream cheese.

You just put the over-kefirred milk curds in cheesecloth or other fine sieve and let drain overnight (or longer) into a cup or bowl. The result in the strainer is a yummy creamy soft cheese. You can add flavor to it like garlic or strawberry.

Offline WI Cheesehead

• Adept
« Reply #393 on: September 11, 2009, 03:58:15 AM »
I've been using kefir granules in cow's milk.  The granules themselves do not come from cows, correct?  Do you think I could rinse them really well and try using them in rice milk to get buttermilk?  My DD is allergic to dairy, she even reacted to the soy yogurt bcz it had the milk cultures in it.

Offline mommie

• Master
« Reply #394 on: January 15, 2010, 08:29:38 PM »
So I tried making my own yogurt in the crock pot...I've made it several times and the recipe calls for a 1/2 cup yogurt to a half gallon milk. Well, I tried using around 5 TBSP instead and it didn't thicken at all (also I used the Bio-k rather than the regular yogurt). Does this mean its useless or still helpful in the good probiotic area. I'm afraid to drink it thinking maybe its just sour milk (doesn't taste too sour) or maybe it has no good bacteria and just the latose sugar in it and I'm trying to use it to fight yeast...any thoughts?
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 08:32:26 PM by mommie »

Offline orcuttranch

• Adept
« Reply #395 on: January 16, 2010, 11:09:56 AM »
So I tried making my own yogurt in the crock pot...I've made it several times and the recipe calls for a 1/2 cup yogurt to a half gallon milk. Well, I tried using around 5 TBSP instead and it didn't thicken at all (also I used the Bio-k rather than the regular yogurt). Does this mean its useless or still helpful in the good probiotic area. I'm afraid to drink it thinking maybe its just sour milk (doesn't taste too sour) or maybe it has no good bacteria and just the latose sugar in it and I'm trying to use it to fight yeast...any thoughts?

The first time I made yogurt with the bio-k, it was in the crockpot and it did exactly the same thing for me.  My conclusion was that my crockpot gets too hot even on low and killed the culture.  What I do now is the cooler and heating pad.  I make my yogurt and pour it into quart jars, wrap in a heating pad on low and stick in a cooler bag.  My heating pad shuts off automatically every 2 hours.  But as long as I remember to turn it back on a few times during the 24 hour period, it does great.  I don't get up at night to turn it back on either.  (I learned this method on here somewhere).

Your amounts are good.  I make yogurt all the time with Bio-K now and one little bottle will make a gallon for me.  I measure out a scant 2 TBSP per quart jar.  Since the bottle is only 3 1/2 ounces, I can't make exactly 2 TBSP each.  My yogurt sets up very thick and nice every time.  

You also want it to be sour - that way you know the culture grew.  So if it isn't sour, you are thinking correctly and the lactose is not eaten up.  If you are fighting yeast, I can't see it helping you and more than likely would hinder you.  The yogurt is supposed to culture for 24 hours to be lactose free (or almost).  If the culture is killed, however . . .  :-\

My personal opinion is to start over.  If no one else in the family is fighting yeast with you, you might be able to use it for baking or something like that.  

Oh - one more thing - is your milk temp around 110 when you add the bio-k?  If it is too much higher, it can kill the culture before you even start.  

HTH
« Last Edit: January 16, 2010, 11:12:24 AM by orcuttranch »

Offline mommie

• Master
« Reply #396 on: January 16, 2010, 04:23:18 PM »
that's interesting. the weird thing though is it works with all the other brands of yogurts I've made it with??? I've just used more culture to start with. I simply won't make the yogurt if I can't make it in the crock pot so maybe I'll just try using more of the bio k and the crock pot method?!

Offline orcuttranch

• Adept
« Reply #397 on: January 16, 2010, 05:27:01 PM »
That is interesting.  Sorry - not much help, then.  I've only made yogurt with bio-k.  Never with anything else.  So I don't have anything to compare with.  I don't think it would hurt to try it with more culture.  Or maybe you're not leaving it in the crockpot long enough?  Not really sure.

Offline herbs girl

• Master
« Reply #398 on: January 16, 2010, 06:47:04 PM »
I make  yogurt in my crockpot. The secret that once the yogurt starter has been added, ect , you need to turn your crockpot to Keep Warm for15 minutes and then when the 15 minutes is up, turn the crockpot off for 45 minutes. and so on throughout the day. This makes the crockpot the right temperature for the yogurt.

Offline mommie

• Master
« Reply #399 on: January 17, 2010, 04:05:16 PM »
Hmmm even more interesting :) I turn mine off COMPLETELY before I even put the starter in. I do it on Low for 2 1/2 hours, then I leave it on off for 3...then I add the starter and cover the crock for 8...every other starter I've used makes thick yogurt. So I'll just try adding maybe more starter....I put the thicker liquid stuff I got in glass jars and it separates??? so I'm thinking it must have done something?? Maybe with the bio - k I have to leave it out longer? Well, I'll try with more starter and see what happens. I know me, i never made my own until I saw the crock pot kind, I keep two crocks out on my counter and use them all the time. So I'm afraid the only kinda yogurt that's gonna ever get made is the crock pot kind...So here's to praying it will work in my crocK :) thanks for the tips ladies! :)

Offline mommie

• Master
« Reply #400 on: January 28, 2010, 04:30:41 AM »
Ok so I took the temp of my oven with the light on and its 100ish...SooOooo I heated up some milk, cooled it to 110. added 1/2 cup of Bio K....put in glass jars with lids and left itin the oven for 24 hours. Viola!!! beautiful, smooth, thick yogurt!! Woo HOOOO!!!
I tried the second time in the crock w/ 1/2 cup Bio k and it didn't work, my aunt said to try to leave it longer, I did and it did thicken, but I wasn't sure if everthing had stayed at teh right temp so I threw it all out anyways, but it gave me some hope...th eove route is easier than my crock pot!!! I"m sold!

Offline orcuttranch

• Adept
« Reply #401 on: January 28, 2010, 01:16:22 PM »
Ok so I took the temp of my oven with the light on and its 100ish...SooOooo I heated up some milk, cooled it to 110. added 1/2 cup of Bio K....put in glass jars with lids and left itin the oven for 24 hours. Viola!!! beautiful, smooth, thick yogurt!! Woo HOOOO!!!
I tried the second time in the crock w/ 1/2 cup Bio k and it didn't work, my aunt said to try to leave it longer, I did and it did thicken, but I wasn't sure if everthing had stayed at teh right temp so I threw it all out anyways, but it gave me some hope...th eove route is easier than my crock pot!!! I"m sold!

I'm so glad it worked for you!! 

Offline mommie

• Master
« Reply #402 on: March 11, 2010, 04:53:59 PM »
ok another problem :) I just took my last jar out of the fridge... in there not quite a week and at the bottom of the jar is this orangish stuff???? kinda like a thin layer of it on bottom. its thick like the yogurt and has these little little splinterish looking things throughout it??? Don't really now how to explain it. But I've eaten the first two jars (didn't notice any of this) and even had some of this jar today?!!!?? any thoughts????

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #403 on: March 12, 2010, 10:55:04 AM »
ok another problem :) I just took my last jar out of the fridge... in there not quite a week and at the bottom of the jar is this orangish stuff???? kinda like a thin layer of it on bottom. its thick like the yogurt and has these little little splinterish looking things throughout it??? Don't really now how to explain it. But I've eaten the first two jars (didn't notice any of this) and even had some of this jar today?!!!?? any thoughts????
This sounds like red blood cells. They aren't visible until they've had time to settle to the bottom. Not a problem unless it just grosses you out.  :D It can happen in a heavy producing animal especially as they first freshen and everything is getting stretched including blood vessels or anytime there might be a slight trauma to the udder. It will probably not be a recurrent problem.
Of course there might be other reasons such as unclean jar to account for the discoloration, but the splinterish looking description fits the other.

Offline mommie

• Master
« Reply #404 on: March 12, 2010, 03:48:24 PM »
that's crazy!!! :) ...red blood cells from the store bought milk that was then fermented into yogurt??? sounds crazy but  I'll go w/ that!!! I'm pretty careful w/ my jars (I don't sterilze them or anything, but I do wash them thoroughly!) thanks!!!

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #405 on: March 13, 2010, 02:30:54 PM »
Well, I'd like to say that it's crazy that it could come through store bought milk undetected, but  :o worse things get through on occasion.  :P

Offline mommie

• Master
« Reply #406 on: March 23, 2010, 10:10:34 AM »
well, I think I figured out what the orange color was...I was making some today and noticed black flakes (more like dots, flecs, etc) at the bottom of mine today. Kinda freaked me out ... anyways, i was pouring my fresh stuff into jars and noticed some "orangish stuff" in the actual milk/yogurt mix. Got to the bottom and realized it was from the bottom burning and me scraping it w/ my wire wisk....Hoping this is the cause of the black as well...I shoved it all inthe oven...Do you think its still safe to ferment and eat, even with some burnt milk pieces in it? I know my other stuff all looks and smells fine, (just not the bottom where the funky stuff settled)
is there anyway to grow mold in your home made yogurt and actually do more harm than good??? I don't sterilze my containers, but I wash them welll and again the yogurt never smells or looks funny...

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #407 on: March 24, 2010, 06:36:17 AM »
That makes sense. I think your yogurt is safe. Worst thing that could happen IMO is the scorched flavor permeating the whole kettle of milk. You might try using a double boiler set up or heating over lower heat to prevent the scorching.

Offline mommie

• Master
« Reply #408 on: March 24, 2010, 07:32:26 AM »
Yeah, for some reason I put it on high w/ 3 small children  ::) the day before I boiled 1/2 gallon of organic milk over  :o Apparently I didn't learn my lesson!!! I decided tonight to make mine AFTER the kids are asleep!!! :)

Offline WI Cheesehead

• Adept
« Reply #409 on: April 25, 2011, 01:45:15 PM »
Just wanted to tell you my experience.  I was able to get raw milk, so I heated it to almost 180, cooled it to 110, added 2 T Dannon's for starter, some gelatin and honey and put it on the hot pad set at high.  Covered it with the stock pot and let it sit all night.  I had reasonably thick (not storebought thick), creamy yogurt.  Tasted pretty good and only needed a little sweetener.  I might try it with some pectin too.  At the same time, I started making kefir again and made smoothies with it when ready.  Now, I have a scoby fermenting in the glass bowl, so we'll try it in 10 days.  Wish me luck!

Offline Mommyof4

• Adept
« Reply #410 on: June 04, 2011, 07:48:35 AM »
Does anyone know how I can make my cow yogurt more like the delicious greek or Chanobi yogurt from the store? I've added the additional bacterias to my yogurt in the past but found that it became too sour. Any advice would help:) Been making yogurt for years. No offense but we WON'T  do kefir because it's yucky ;)
Blessed Mom:)
My village people:
Tate 10
Morgan 9
Charlotte 7.5
Silas 4.5

Offline WI Cheesehead

• Adept
« Reply #411 on: June 04, 2011, 10:52:05 AM »
Did you try making the yogurt and then letting it sit overnight for the whey to drain?  That makes it extra thick, like the Greek yogurt.  I tried once putting pectin and gelatin in and it got really thick, almost too thick.