Author Topic: Yogurt & Kefir: Recipes & Hints  (Read 190875 times)

Offline natural

• Adept
Re: Yogurt & Kefir: Recipes & Hints
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2006, 10:39:18 AM »
If I were to try this on my "keep warm" setting in my crockpot, could I jsut use the packaged powder starter I purchased from the health food store?

--Sandra
4 yo Maciah: Mamma I am scared the wind is howling.
Me: Go to sleep Jesus will protect you.
4 yo Maciah: (stretching his chin to chest) But, but I can't see Jesus my head can't reach into my heart.

Offline Leah IL

• Adept
    • Hillman Acres
« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2006, 12:22:13 PM »
Yogurt cannot be made from raw or store bought milk without this sterilization.

Actually, I make raw milk yogurt and don't pasteurize it..unless you mean bring it up to 110 degrees.  I heat my raw milk in a gallon sized glass jar to 110 degrees, add starter, put on the lid, wrap it in a kitchen towel and put it in a soft sided cooler that zips.  After about 5 hours, I remove it from the cooler and the towel and put it straight into the very back of my fridge without taking off the lid or anything and then I don't touch it for at least 12 hours.  If you start stirring it and shaking it when it's warm, it will be much more runny.  It really firms up as it cools so no matter how tempted you are, leave it alone :)

Leah
Married to Ken 14 years, mom to Kenny (13), Kyle and Kaitlyn (11), Kevin (5) and Megan and Melissa (1 1/2)

My Intro: http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,1573.msg838.html#msg838

Offline TruthSeeker

• Adept
« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2006, 12:37:51 PM »
I make yogurt in my Yogurmet yogurt maker.  I use powered starter I bought from Natren.  I use store bought whole milk.  I follow the directions on the bottle of starter and WHALLA!  I must say after a year of this I still can't get used to eating plain yogurt.  I mix all-fruit in it or make smoothies with it, but to eat it plain? :P

Offline Dalyn

• The Queen of Quite Alot
  • Learning
    • Muckboots 'N Aprons
« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2006, 06:21:17 PM »
I milk the goats, bring the milk in the house, strain it, and put it in a 2 quart or gallon sized jar with the yogurt culture (Danon is good). I either wrap it in a dark towel and stick it outside if it's a hot day, or else do it with the evening milk and set the jar in a soft cooler with a heating pad on top of the jar on low and leave it over night. The heating pad goes off after two hours, but it that's okay. I stick it in the fridge. Sometimes I add fresh berries and honey. That's it.
RAW milk!! Not dead milk.
Dalyn
http://muckbootsnaprons.blogspot.com/

http://www.hickchickssoapbarn.com/
Homespun Raw Goat Milk Soaps

"oil and perfume make the heart glad" Pr. 27:9

Offline Chickory Chick

• Adept
    • My Blog
« Reply #34 on: May 25, 2006, 12:19:08 PM »
Kefir is very easy to make.  I use the real grains (I purchased mine from somone through the RawDairy yahoo group).  I find in the summer it only takes 12 hours to make, 24 -36 hours in the winter and 2-3 days in my refrigerator. Add a coiuple of TBSP of grains to a quart of milk.  Kefir is very flexible, I have used it sucessfully as a replacement for buttermilk in biscuits and pancakes and for plain milk in other recipes! 

In the summer, I like it for breakfast mixed with some fresh berries and maybe a TBSP of natural sugar or honey.  I have also made vanilla shakes add a tsp of vanilla and some sweetener when I am out of fruit. YUM!  I did try it as a chocolate shake once and I dont remember the experience being as pleasant to my tastebud. 

Sorry I cant give you exact recipes as I am terrible about measuring when making up my own recipes.
Chickory Chick fka Kayinpa http://kayinpa.blogspot.com/

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #35 on: May 30, 2006, 09:51:06 AM »
I've read all your posts and I've done a bit of research on my own.  I just bought some dannon and some jar lids for my canning jars.  Everything I've read indicates that I should incubate the yogurt, but the times vary between 3 and 12 hours.  I get the impression that you don't actually have to keep the temp at 120 it just makes it faster.  Could you verify this for me? 

Couldn't I just heat the milk, add the culture and stick it in the oven (dark place) for a few hours and stick it in the fridge?  If I'm understanding this correctly, it would just take a couple of days instead of a few hours to make.  I will incubate it if it's actually necessary, but the easier it is for me to make, the more likely it is that I will continue to make it.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #36 on: May 30, 2006, 05:01:15 PM »
I use goat's milk for yogurt and kefir.  I buy Kefir Starter from Body Ecology at
www.bodyecologydiet.com.  Here is my yogurt recipe:

1 cup milk
2 Tbs. plain yogurt (either commercial or from my previous batch)

Warm milk on stove to 100-110 degrees.  Add yogurt, and put into a glass canning jar uncovered.  Keep this at a tempurature around 90-100 degrees for 12-18 hours.  I do this by placing the jar in the oven, turning on the oven light, and keeping it on all night.  By the next morning I have yogurt.  Refrigerate.

Hi HB--i have used this recipe (making some more right now!) and it works great!  i bought Dannon FULL FAT yogurt in a 32 ounce carton and used skim milk.  i am using the yogurt to soak fresh ground flour for bread (another great recipe from the one of the bread threads) and also to eat with my homemade granola YUM!  it was a little runny last time, and i think this time i am gonna watch it longer than 12 hours and see if it gets thicker.  i even forgot to heat the milk once, and put the lid on both times!  it worked in spite of me!   ::) 
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline jenny4wen

• Adept
« Reply #37 on: May 30, 2006, 06:33:27 PM »
I made yogurt by heating my milk, adding a cup of plain yogurt, putting it in my containers (preferably glass) and putting those in a large picnic cooler with a lightbulb turned on hanging in there, and closed the lid.  I let it do its thing for about 8 hours and put the jars in the fridge overnight.  It worked well for me. :)  I think there are many ways.  Find what's best for you! :)
I'm smiling! :D

Offline dara

• Master
« Reply #38 on: May 31, 2006, 03:40:09 AM »
I didn't realize before now that you could be so "lazy" with yogurt and still have it work! Last night I mixed my yogurt ingred. together (warm), stuck it in the oven with the light on, fridged it after 5 hours, and woke up to a great batch for breakfast.

I do have a question: What is considered a "good" texture for goat milk yogurt? We've recently found a source (seems to be seasonal with hobbyists in the Midwest), and I am wondering how solid goat milk yogurt will be, compared to cow milk. Also, do you all use cow milk starter in goat milk? My kids are allergic to cow milk, but I'm hoping 1 T./qt. is not enough to bother them. My yogurt is usually either runny, or I add gelatin and it is jello-y. What about for you guys?
"Write your hurts in the sand
and grave your blessings in stone."

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #39 on: May 31, 2006, 04:24:27 AM »
I made my first batch last night.  I'm going with the 12 hours in the back of the fridge but when I put it in there, it looked like "yogurt".   ;D  I had to rewarm the water once, I hadn't planned on it, because I put it in the cooler before I went to bed at 2am and for some reason, I kept dreaming about yogurt, so I got up at 5:30am and checked the temp.  Down to 105 degrees, so I warmed it once and it was back down to 105 degrees when I got up at 9am.  I "cooked" it for 8 hours and figured we'd have it for breakfast tomorrow.  Of course, I may have to sneek a snack tonight before bed.  I really am enjoying the granola with yogurt better than any other recipe with yogurt I've tried.  Very YUMMY and addictive.  :P  Thanks for all your input ladies.  Much appreciated.

Someone mentioned starter ice cubes (or maybe I read that on the web) anyway, I froze the rest of my Dannon into ice cube trays to make more. 
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #40 on: May 31, 2006, 04:25:30 AM »
PS, the light in my oven has been broken for 8 years or more.   :-\ I don't even know if I could fix it.  I never really had the need to check.   ;D
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #41 on: June 01, 2006, 02:31:35 AM »
My yogurt is usually either runny, or I add gelatin and it is jello-y. What about for you guys?

why did you take it out after 5 hours?  the recipe i made that i described in my other post i left in the oven for 14 hours and it was a creamy, thick almost perfect yogurt.   ;D  i am totally excited about making my own--can you tell??!!   8)  it is not Jello like the skim milk yogurt you can buy in the store, but more like the stuff i used for starter (Dannon full fat).  i did it before i went to bed and left it in all night and checked it a couple times in the am.  i had done 12 hours before and that wasn't enough, still a little watery.  it seemed to get more so in the fridge for me. 

« Last Edit: February 07, 2008, 07:52:26 PM by 4myhoonie »
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline sven

• Learning
    • Solar Family Farm
« Reply #42 on: June 02, 2006, 02:46:59 AM »
I've made raw milk yogurt from cows milk and it comes out sort of ropey.  Is yours smooth?  I've resorted to heating to 180 degrees first with makes it definitely NOT raw.  Thanks.
The East Tennessee Ridge Runners

Offline dara

• Master
« Reply #43 on: June 02, 2006, 03:28:52 AM »
I am using goat milk. Does that mean it is likely to be more runny than cow milk? And fivewiddletids, I took it out because I needed to go to bed, and didn't want it to get really, really sour....

Sven- my cow milk yogurt turned out that way before too, but I didn't know before now it was possible to make without  scalding (180 degrees).

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #44 on: June 02, 2006, 07:52:35 AM »
My yogurt was a success; however, it was a bit more sour than the Dannon I started with.  I understand that if I cook it less, it will be less sour. 

It was also very thin with floating boogers (GROSS).  It tasted fine (except for the sour, but it looks very unappealing).   I'm guessing this is because it's skim milk and not whole?  I don't have access to whole raw milk and will not use homogenized. 

I also cooked it in hot water bath for about 8 hours and then refrigerated it for over 24 hours before busting into it.

I also had another thought.  I've frozen my Dannnon into ice cubes for starter.  I was thinking maybe I could buy a quart of whipping cream and do the same thing.  Then add a cube of cream along with the yogurt cubes to make it fatter and creamier ???  Cream is expensive at Walmart or grocery but I figured if I only add 2 tablespoons per quart it will add about 10 cents per quart to the price of my yogurt which isn't bad at all.

I may try the gelatin thing as mentioned earlier, but any insights into how I can make the consistancy smoother and even a bit thicker and less sour would be helpful.  Thanks.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Kansas Girl

• Adept
« Reply #45 on: June 02, 2006, 08:23:10 AM »
Quote from: healthybratt

I may try the gelatin thing as mentioned earlier, but any insights into how I can make the consistancy smoother and even a bit thicker and less sour would be helpful.  Thanks.

I think it is too sour because you let it go too long.  I always put non-fat powdered milk and gelatin in my yogurt b/c it thickens it and really improves the texture.
-KG
« Last Edit: June 02, 2006, 03:12:01 PM by healthybratt »
having a baby" border="0

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #46 on: June 19, 2006, 10:27:22 AM »
Quote from: healthybratt

I think it is too sour because you let it go too long.  I always put non-fat powdered milk and gelatin in my yogurt b/c it thickens it and really improves the texture.
-KG

I made yogurt with gelatin this time and it turned out beautifully.  If you're buying skim milk from the store like me instead of raw milk, I would recommend this recipe.  I've tried several different things and so far this has been the most successful.  I have not tried powdered milk yet, but may in the future to see how it compares.

I used 24 oz of heated (120 degrees) skim milk, one Dannon frozen cube starter (ice cube - 2 Tablespoons), 1/2 pkg of Knox gelatin (about a teaspoon I think).  I put 125 degree water in my lunch picnic cooler (holds two quart jars).  I did not rewarm the water (ambient temp has been 85 degrees).  I left it for 5 hours and fridged it.  It's perfect.  I haven't used it in any recipes as of yet, only tasted it out of the jar, but so far, so good.

Note:  It doesn't taste much different than the same recipe minus the gelatin.  The only difference is the smoother consistancy.  Better texture and more appealing to the eyes (I suppose).

Also, on the same day, I tried the same recipe in another jar minus the gelatin and "cooked" it for 12 hours.  It's exactly the same as the 5 hour recipe only more sour - still very runny.

I have a question for you yogurt pros.  If I want to make sweet yogurt, vanilla, honey, etc.  Can I add the sweet/flavor before I cook it, or do I have to stir it in when the culture is finished?  I think my husband would be more inclined to eat it, if I could just have the honey and vanilla already in it when it "gels". 
« Last Edit: June 19, 2006, 10:31:25 AM by healthybratt »
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline dara

• Master
« Reply #47 on: June 20, 2006, 06:18:51 AM »
HB- despite claims to the contrary, I have added sweetner to my yogurt before incubating with no problems.

And what's the difference between Keifer grains and starter, and I can't find free grains on the web (I tried 'Beka's link); does anyone have some to share? Of course I would be happy to pay shipping. I could buy starter, but I don't think that's the same as grains...

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #48 on: June 20, 2006, 06:41:36 AM »
HB- despite claims to the contrary, I have added sweetner to my yogurt before incubating with no problems.

And what's the difference between Keifer grains and starter, and I can't find free grains on the web (I tried 'Beka's link); does anyone have some to share? Of course I would be happy to pay shipping. I could buy starter, but I don't think that's the same as grains...

I found some at a share site.  Most of these people charge $10 for shipping costs only.  I just ordered some yesterday.

CLICK HERE.

Here's a popular sight recommended by most of the members of this sharing site all about raising and making Kefir beverages.  There are pictures included.  I won't tell you what hubby says the grains look like, but they look a little bit like cauliflour.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #49 on: June 20, 2006, 06:43:01 AM »

Do you have any measurements on how much honey and vanilla to add?  I only have imitation vanilla right now, but I wonder if real vanilla extract (alcholic) would hurt the culture.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline dara

• Master
« Reply #50 on: June 20, 2006, 10:24:40 AM »
I just add 1/4 c. sweetner, and 1 t. vanilla (mine's real in alcohol) to 1 quart. My kids still want honey on theirs, but this takes the edge off the sourness.

Offline dara

• Master
« Reply #51 on: June 20, 2006, 10:33:47 AM »
Okay, I must really be dense, but where on that site, HB or 'Bek, did you see anything about GETTING GRAINS? I see lots about culturing them.... Thanks, you're a chum!
« Last Edit: June 20, 2006, 04:11:55 PM by dara »

Offline OneMaster

• Adept
« Reply #52 on: June 20, 2006, 11:03:37 AM »
Hi, Everyone!  Just reading through the thread.  I put in maple syrup and vanilla extract before incubating the yogurt, and it turns out great!  I add it while the milk is still hot and before it has cooled enough to add yogurt culture.

By the way, I read (I believe in "Nourishing Traditions") that heating the milk or using pasteurized milk for yogurt is actually not a big deal since the whole purpose is to re-introduce the cultures anyway.  But ultra-pasteurized milk is not a good idea.

Also, to incubate it, I just put my heating pad on the counter, turn it to high, set the glass jar of yogurt on it, and place a tall stock pot on top.  I don't really time it, just make it earlier in the day and put it away before bed so it is cold by morning.

Something I am going to try is "fruit on the bottom" yogurt.  I read that you can put fruit (or jam) in a glass dish, pour your yogurt mixture on top, and culture it all at once.  Great for individual servings that the kids find fun :)
"I am your sunny day, Mama!" Joey, age 2.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #53 on: June 20, 2006, 12:51:39 PM »
Okay, I must really be dense, but where on that site, HB or 'Bek, did you see anything about GETTING GRAINS? I see lots about culturing them.... Thanks, your a chump!

If you went to Dom's site, you clicked on the wrong spot.  CLICK HERE.

On this page, do a find in your browser for United States and it will scroll you down to the locals.  Then read the far right corner to find out what the users are willing to share and in exchange for what.  If you find something you like, then click on the user name above the description and it should take you to an automated email page where you can request a response from the provider.

Who's a chump ???
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #54 on: June 20, 2006, 12:53:14 PM »
Something I am going to try is "fruit on the bottom" yogurt.  I read that you can put fruit (or jam) in a glass dish, pour your yogurt mixture on top, and culture it all at once.  Great for individual servings that the kids find fun :)

I was wondering about this too.  Would you still sweeten the yogurt or would the fruit make it sweet enough when you stir it up?

Is there actually a benefit to adding fruit to the culture rather than just throwing it in afterward?  Does the fruit ferment as well?  Does it change the flavor of the yogurt?
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline dara

• Master
« Reply #55 on: June 20, 2006, 04:07:57 PM »
Whoops, HB, I thought chump meant "great", or something like "friend". I think I meant chum.     :-[      And I pick on my 5 year old for using the wrong words for things!

Found the share site this time. Thanks!
« Last Edit: June 20, 2006, 04:13:14 PM by dara »

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #56 on: June 20, 2006, 09:31:45 PM »
Whoops, HB, I thought chump meant "great", or something like "friend". I think I meant chum.     :-[     
'

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!  that's rich.   :D
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline OneMaster

• Adept
« Reply #57 on: June 21, 2006, 05:29:09 PM »

Is there actually a benefit to adding fruit to the culture rather than just throwing it in afterward?  Does the fruit ferment as well?  Does it change the flavor of the yogurt?

I don't think there is any benefit except having it pre-done in individual servings.  I just know my kids would get a kick out of it.  Maybe even personalize their own yogurt or something.  I think with yogurt makers you can make individual cups of yogurt, but I've never actually seen a yogurt maker ::)

I have mixed jam into plain yogurt, and it doesn't take much to make it plenty sweet.  Vanilla yogurt would be good with fresh fruit.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #58 on: June 21, 2006, 07:13:08 PM »
I have mixed jam into plain yogurt, and it doesn't take much to make it plenty sweet.
What flavor?  How much?  Before or after culturing ??? I'm intrigued.

Vanilla yogurt would be good with fresh fruit.

I love cherry vanilla yogurt from the store, but I wonder what kind of cherry flavor they use, there are so many kinds and levels of sweet in cherries.  AE also has a cherry limade - that is amazing!  It's just like a creamy cherry limade from Sonic.

My favorite herb book!!

Offline OneMaster

• Adept
« Reply #59 on: June 21, 2006, 07:55:25 PM »
I was making just plain yogurt, then stirring things in after culturing it.  I just put some yogurt in a bowl, a dollup of whatever homemade jam we had (strawberry, blueberry, raspberry, blackberry...) and mix it up.  I also tried sweetening with maple syrup after culturing.  It was yummy, but got very runny.  My son loved it and started named it "thick milk."  I have since put in maple syrup and vanilla before culturing and it works great!  Would still be good with jam, but I don't think it would need the extra sugar.  Fresh fruit with the sweetened yogurt is delicious.