Author Topic: Kombucha tastes like beer?  (Read 16636 times)

Offline Chas

• Learning
    • Homesteading on the Mountain
Kombucha tastes like beer?
« on: May 28, 2007, 08:06:25 AM »
My Kombucha tastes like Beer... is that right?  Everyone I give a glass to says it tastes like beer.  Is it supposed to be like this... I have people thinking I have my own brewery.   ::)
Love,
Chas

Daughter of The Almighty
Wife to a Wonderful Man
Mom to 4 Beautiful Blessings
Homesteading on the Mountain

Offline gusoceros

• Adept
Re: Kombucha tastes like beer?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2007, 09:48:29 AM »
My Kombucha tastes like Beer... is that right?  Everyone I give a glass to says it tastes like beer.  Is it supposed to be like this... I have people thinking I have my own brewery.   ::)

Now Im jealous- could you provide details on how you make your kombucha?  I brew beer in the basement, and my wife makes kombucha- and I drink them both (although not at the same time).  They dont taste anything like each other- and the people we have given kombucha to, have not ever commented that it tastes like beer.  I think a beer tasting kombucha would be an awesome thing, and I would like to try it.  We generally make spiced, fruit, or ginger kombucha.  Of all the kombucha my wife makes- the best is by far the ginger kombucha, where she puts sliced up ginger root in the kombucha.  Mmmmmmmboy.

G

Offline sarahmontgomery

• Adept
  • Isaiah 12:2
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2007, 09:49:50 AM »
I have also been accused of this, only instead of beer, they mentioned wine or wine coolers.  So, you must be doing it right!  I personally think it tastes like sparking apple juice.
Home, home on the range, where the deer and the cantaloupe play..... according to my 4 year old

Offline Chas

• Learning
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2007, 10:20:24 AM »
My Kombucha is about as simple as you can get it.  I steep 4 green tea bags and 2 black tea bags.  I add 1 cup of sugar and then enough cool water to get it to the curve in my big gallon jug.  Then I add some of my starter and my scoby when it is cool enough and I put it in our closet for 1 week.  I then bottle it and let it stay in the fridge as long as I can keep my husband out of it.  (which isn't too long) He had one today that has been in the fridge for 6 days and he said today it starts to have a much more soda-pop taste.  My husband has never had a beer so he has no idea what it tastes like.  I have tried beer before but didn't care for the taste so I didn't know if that was what made me not crazy about the kombucha.  Just wondering if we were alone or if there was anything I could do to make it more likable to me. 
Thanks!!!
Love,
Chas

Daughter of The Almighty
Wife to a Wonderful Man

Offline gusoceros

• Adept
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2007, 10:28:15 AM »
My Kombucha is about as simple as you can get it.  I steep 4 green tea bags and 2 black tea bags.  I add 1 cup of sugar and then enough cool water to get it to the curve in my big gallon jug.  Then I add some of my starter and my scoby when it is cool enough and I put it in our closet for 1 week.  I then bottle it and let it stay in the fridge as long as I can keep my husband out of it.  (which isn't too long) He had one today that has been in the fridge for 6 days and he said today it starts to have a much more soda-pop taste.  My husband has never had a beer so he has no idea what it tastes like.  I have tried beer before but didn't care for the taste so I didn't know if that was what made me not crazy about the kombucha.  Just wondering if we were alone or if there was anything I could do to make it more likable to me. 
Thanks!!!

I recommend trying some flavored teas in place of the green tea, or green tea with flavor- or- try my favorite and chop up some fresh ginger root and let it sit in there (you can put it in cheese cloth, or an old tshirt).  That will definitely change the flavor of the kombucha.  I prefer to have the ginger sit for more than 14 days- it comes out crisp and dry tasting.  Very good.

G

Offline Chas

• Learning
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2007, 11:34:41 AM »
Ok, let me make sure I got this!  ;)  Do it same as I have but take some fresh ginger and tie it in an old shirt, and then let it all sit for 14 days?? Or take it out at 7 and then let it sit for 7 more bottled.??? Sorry for being so goofy, just wanted to make sure I am straight!
Thanks.
Love,
Chas

Daughter of The Almighty
Wife to a Wonderful Man

Offline gusoceros

• Adept
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2007, 11:38:00 AM »
Ok, let me make sure I got this!  ;)  Do it same as I have but take some fresh ginger and tie it in an old shirt, and then let it all sit for 14 days?? Or take it out at 7 and then let it sit for 7 more bottled.??? Sorry for being so goofy, just wanted to make sure I am straight!
Thanks.

Leave it all in there for 14 days (make sure its a clean shirt  ;)).  We even have some 21 day ginger floating around here, and it is even better.  Experiment with the number of days, there is something about the ginger that takes the edge off the kombucha.

G

Offline Chas

• Learning
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2007, 11:39:17 AM »
Excellent, I will have to try that on our next batch... I just brewed up two gallons today and we are fresh out of ginger!  :-\  Next time for sure!! Cool beans! Thanks!!! ;D
Love,
Chas

Daughter of The Almighty
Wife to a Wonderful Man

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2007, 04:18:59 AM »

Now Im jealous- could you provide details on how you make your kombucha?  I brew beer in the basement, and my wife makes kombucha- and I drink them both (although not at the same time).  They dont taste anything like each other- and the people we have given kombucha to, have not ever commented that it tastes like beer.  I think a beer tasting kombucha would be an awesome thing, and I would like to try it.  We generally make spiced, fruit, or ginger kombucha.  Of all the kombucha my wife makes- the best is by far the ginger kombucha, where she puts sliced up ginger root in the kombucha.  Mmmmmmmboy.

G
Put kombucha in beer bottles and let it set for several weeks.  It will taste like beer; however, you might not be able to keep it in the bottle when you open it.  "kapow".  ;D
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline ForeverGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Master
  • BoogBug
    • WellTellMe
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2007, 05:24:23 AM »

G

I always bottle our Kombucha, and I don't think it tastes like beer - maybe draft cider though. But I've been thinking about adding the herb Hops to a batch of Buch to see if it would make a relaxing drink (instead of an energy drink) and that might give it more of a beer-taste since Hops is the herb that gives beer it's flavor. Any ideas on that, Gusoceros?

BTW, how do you say your username?

Rebekah
Honey Sunny in complete exasperation:
"JOE!!! You DOUGHNUT COCONUT COCONUT COCONUT!!!"

Offline HeyMom

• Adept
    • My journey with Jesus as a young widow, Courage Road
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2007, 06:08:08 AM »
Rebekah -

have you been talking to my Dhubby?   ;)

This was our first batch of bucha and it was a hit - and dhubby wondered the same thing about hops - if anyone tries it let me know - right now I'm sticking with your recipe until I get a little braver!

Mine went 15 days and I don't believe it tastes like beer - but does have a little "bite" to it.  Our whole first gallon is gone and we are on day six of our new brew.....hurry, hurry, hurry.....
For the eyes of the Lord run to and fro throughout the whole earth, to show Himself strong on behalf of those whose heart is loyal to Him.
2 Chronicles 16:9
www.courageroad.blogspot.com

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2007, 06:10:59 AM »

And gusceros guy - how do you say your username????

My username is pronounced like RHINOCEROS, with the accent on the middle "O".
G
;D
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline gusoceros

• Adept
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2007, 11:16:10 AM »

I always bottle our Kombucha, and I don't think it tastes like beer - maybe draft cider though. But I've been thinking about adding the herb Hops to a batch of Buch to see if it would make a relaxing drink (instead of an energy drink) and that might give it more of a beer-taste since Hops is the herb that gives beer it's flavor. Any ideas on that, Gusoceros?

Rebekah

Hey Rebekah- ODHBITASCF (Our Dear Healthy Bratt- Is There Anything She Cant Find??) got the pronunciation exactly right.

As far as hops in the kombucha goes- I would bet money that it would taste horrible- which makes me want to try it now.  Im rather simple when it comes to these things- my thoughts are that beer is relaxing because it has a higher alcohol content, and less because it has the flavor of hops.  Hops are bitter, and I think it would clash with the fermented tea flavor.  If you try a batch, I would try it with straight black tea, and hops.  There are more things in beer that lend to its flavor than hops- extra hops are used to give beer a bitter bite to it.  I wouldnt use more than 1/4 to 1/3 of an ounce per 2 gallons of 'bucha though- that is what I add to my batches of beer when Im making it with extra bite.  BTW- this is the beer kit I use- its nearly as easy as making a can of condensed soup: www.mrbeer.com.  My favorite hops to use are willamette.

Also- for me, kombucha is relaxing- it clears my head (not that there is much in there anyway), and lets me refocus my thoughts when I get home from work. 

G

Offline dewfall

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2011, 03:13:53 PM »

hi - my kombu cha tasted like beer after i started putting raw sugar in it, and admittedly perhaps i brewed the green tea brew a little strong... but i fixed it up without having to change the tea! My dad used to make ginger beer with sultanas or raisins when i was a kid - he said it made it taste better - i remember it tasted pretty good... so i threw in a generous handfull of sultanas into the kombu cha jug and it tasted lovely after only a day or two... the beer taste went right down to a pleasant 'hint' and although not fruity per sae the kombu tea was quite quite pallatable. Hope this solves an annoying problem. ;D