Author Topic: Liver recipes  (Read 3808 times)

Offline tynnille

• Adept
Liver recipes
« on: May 16, 2008, 09:37:48 AM »
Hello Girls, I need to cook this liver I have. I am getting into late pregnancy and ice is calling my name. So I have two packages of liverI would like to cook up and chop up into small pieces to add into tther dishes. Any ideas as to how to cook it? I was thining crock pot, but didn't knw if this would work. What do you ladies think? I could do the nourishing traditions style, but since I am going to be chopping it anyway, I don't see the point in the labor time of frying it.
Just looking for some help.

Offline Mrs. Dugger

• Adept
Re: Liver recipes
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2008, 11:35:06 AM »
I have found that the frying until it's browned is what really makes it taste good.  I don't care for it boiled.  Here's my adapted N.T. recipe for liver pate:

.75 to 1 lb. Chicken Livers
1/2 lb. sliced mushrooms
1 chopped yellow onion
3 T. butter

Saute these ingredients until the livers start to brown well. (10 to 15 minutes)

Add:

1/4 c. White Wine
1 clove Garlic
1/2 t. Dry Mustard
1/4 t. Dried Dill
1/4 t. crushed Dried Rosemary
1 T. lemon Juice
1 t. Salt

Cook this until the liquid evaporates. Cool for 15 minutes.

Add the mixture to a food processor with 1/2 c. butter. Blend until smooth, put in a bowl, cover and refrigerate.

Offline SC

• Guru
  • Ephesians 5:2
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2008, 02:47:08 AM »
LIVERWURST
2 pounds combined of the following:
grass-fed/pasture raised liver (can be beef, chicken, goose, pork, whatever)
assorted other organ meats from grass-fed/pasture raised stock (mountain oysters, tongue, heart, lung, stomach, gizzards, etc.)
1 pound grass-fed lean meat (steak, roast, etc.)
1 ½ LARGE onions chopped (or 3 regular sized ones)
1 pound mushrooms
3 cloves of garlic, crushed & peeled
1 tsp dried dill
1 tsp dried rosemary
3 tbsp lemon juice
3 tbsp butter (for the stock pot)
1 tsp fresh ground pepper
1 tbsp paprika
3 tbsp Agave nectar (can substitute raw honey)
1 tsp marjoram
1 tsp cumin seed
½ tsp allspice
2 cups filtered water with 3 Tbsp Black Cherry Juice concentrate (I used this in place of the wine in NT’s recipe)

Place the 3 TBSP of butter into the stock pot (I use a heavy duty stainless steel pot) and sauté the onions until transparent. Add the meat, cut into small chunks and brown. Add remaining ingredients and the reconstituted black cherry juice. Bring to a boil and cook until the liquid is gone. Cool. Process in a food processor along with ½ cup softened butter until the whole thing looks like a paste or pudding (I used a hand-cranked stainless steel food mill which worked fine, but next time I’m breaking out the food processor to save time). Place into a glass bowl or crock and chill well.

My husband and boys enjoy this on sandwiches (sprouted, whole grain flour) with organic mustard and onions. I like it with hot grits (yes, we’re from the south). It’s great on homemade crackers, and I suspect that a few people were taking swipes out of the bowl with a spoon (or fingers!). My dad (who HATES liver) even tried some and said it was good.

For families that cannot regularly afford to consume meat, this dish served at least once every two weeks will be a very nutrient-dense food.

Liver is considered a VERY important food for pregnant and lactating mothers, adults wishing to bear healthy children, and babies/children. Sally Fallon (Nourishing Traditions) says that a baby's first food should be liver -- not pureed fruit or rice.
I'm no doctor . . .             I'm not even a Post hole Digger! ;)
See what works for me at LexingtonSlim.com

Offline creyente

• Learning
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2011, 02:06:03 PM »
I just cooked liver for the first time in my life, and it wasn't bad!  :D
I sliced a beef liver and then marinated it overnight in ACV with a bay leaf and garlic, as suggested on the WAPF page "The Liver Files":
http://www.westonaprice.org/food-features/509-liver-files.html
Then I sauteed it with onion until it turned brown. Pretty easy, and I liked the taste! Another step towards eating healthy!  ;D

Offline CamKrist

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2013, 04:04:55 AM »
Similar subject was being discussed at yahoo answers last week. I can post the link if needed.
I'm on Twitter and my essay