Author Topic: Buying bra for daughter  (Read 11327 times)

Offline kathyo

• Learning
Buying bra for daughter
« on: May 14, 2008, 06:01:25 PM »
My 12-year-old daughter needs a new bra,as she has outgrown the first one. She is a large-framed girl, taller and weighing more than most other girls her age. I took her to Target and Walmart, but couldn't find a bra that fit around her. The band, not the cup. The band only went to 38. She is in A cup. So I went online and learned more than I needed to know  :o and have found no help. Does anyone know of a store that sells (decent) bras at a reasonable price for larger-than-average young girls?

Offline his.silly.wife

• Master
  • Psalm 100:5
Re: Buying bra for daughter
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2008, 02:07:51 AM »
Have you tried Target's website?  I just did a quick browse and they have a bra listed as a 40A.

Hanes.com might have something as well.
Like NoGreaterJoy?  Sign up on fellowshipdirectory.com to meet others like you.

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2008, 02:38:21 AM »
there is a Jockey outlet store near us, and they are very helpful at finding the right size.  i tried their website for you, and didn't find any. 
http://www.jockey.com/   i had the opposite problem when my daughter needed one, she was a 30C.  they don't make such a thing!  it was so frustrating, and she had lots of requirements, white only, no wires, no push ups, etc.   ::)  after losing all mine, i hadn't shopped for a bra in years, and it was funny and we had a good time, but hard to do.  i brought home dozens of them to have her find something wrong with each one, and she wouldn't let me "see" to help her get a fit.  she has since grown out of that.  i was going to suggest that there are some great sports bras at wal-mart, that are comfy and thick, that might work.  and some of the newer bras like hanes have 1/2 sizes or "almost" sizes.  maybe she could wear an almost B.  good luck!
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline Siege

• My avatar is my youngest frying deer tongue!
  • Adept
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2008, 03:25:04 AM »
I would suggest going to a store such as Victoria's Secret and having her measured. Then try on bras to see what type of cup she likes . THEN say you need to think about the price and go to other stores (JC Penney, Sears, etc) and try on ones that are similar. I feel that it is important to get measured the correct way and I had a friend who once worked at VS. She had to take a class to learn how to measure. Not sure if they do that now, but they did then. CJ

Offline Whiterock

• Jesus Knows Me, This I Love
  • Guru
  • Eph 6:16
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2008, 04:24:17 AM »
You can get extenders for the back of a bra. They look like this:

They have hooks on the back side that hook into the "eyes" on the bra and then you just hook the bra together like normal. You can get different ones to go with different kinds of bras. Or you can cut the eye section off of old bras and save them to sew on another bra when you need them (that's what I do).

WR
Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!

Offline kathyo

• Learning
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2008, 04:48:58 PM »
I just went online again to find out if I had measured correctly and, oops!  :-[ I hadn't! I now have a much smaller measurement than I had originally thought. However, I know the store bras just didn't fit. Thanks. I'll look into Target online.

Offline kathyo

• Learning
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2008, 04:53:29 PM »
WR, where can I get these extenders?

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2008, 04:54:55 PM »

Fabric stores.

Offline kathyo

• Learning
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2008, 05:23:50 PM »
Thank you. I almost spent $10.00 on extenders from one hanesplace. $3.49 plus $6.00 shipping!  :o It should be cheaper at a fabric store. I guess I'm not too "bra-savvy", so thanks for the tips.

Offline Mama Sita

• Adept
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2008, 03:01:58 AM »

I just saw them at WM the other day in by the sewing stuff and they were CHEAP!!!!
"No one stands as tall as a Christian on his knees."
Get $5 off your first iHerb.com order: Code ISA141

Offline Roehrmomma

• Master
    • Polished cornerstones
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2008, 04:25:55 AM »

I just saw them at WM the other day in by the sewing stuff and they were CHEAP!!!!

That is where I bought mine. They have 2 prong and 3 maybe 4 so several different sizes. About $1 each worth the money IMO.

Offline kathyo

• Learning
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2008, 03:29:28 PM »

That is where I bought mine. They have 2 prong and 3 maybe 4 so several different sizes. About $1 each worth the money IMO.
Thank you, ladies! I have avoided walmart for some time now, but am finding it does have things I need,at a good price.

Offline mexmarr

• Master
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2008, 03:34:17 PM »

Thank you, ladies! I have avoided walmart for some time now, but am finding it does have things I need,at a good price.

You can also get them at fabric stores like JoAnns, Hancocks etc.