Author Topic: Green Phlegm  (Read 6738 times)

Offline joshs_rebekah

• Adept
  • Shalom-Girl
    • The Larson Log
Green Phlegm
« on: May 02, 2008, 02:40:21 AM »
My husband has been hocking up green stuff for the last 3 or 4 days...

Long story involving a home overrun with dogs who felt two of the floors in the house were their toilet, and lots of black mold.  My 9 month old and I are both coughing a lot, but I only really have phlegm in the AM...

Any thoughts?

If your answer is goot, could you please pm me about HOW it would work (Josh isn't quite a believer yet, and he won't read through the whole goot thread!).

Offline lotsagirls

• Adept
Re: Green Phlegm
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2008, 03:29:42 AM »
For coughs at our house, we always use onion packs...I slice an onion fairly thick and put it in a hand towel.  Place this on the chest and put hot water bottle or heating pad on top.  My kids lay on the couch and I cover them with a blanket and leave them for at least 15-20 minutes.  Repeat as necessary. 

I also give a onion/honey syrup.  Place some onion slices in a bowl of honey and let sit for a couple of hours.  Strain out onions.  I give 1 tsp to children and 1 Tbsp for adults.

Mullein is good for congestion.  You can drink it in tea form.  I've given my ear oil, which is just olive oil with garlic and mullein, orally.

I've heard great things about lobelia for congestion, but I have not tried it myself.

HTH!
Lo, children are an heritage of the Lord: and the fruit of the womb is his reward.  Psalm 127:3

Offline joshs_rebekah

• Adept
  • Shalom-Girl
    • The Larson Log
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2008, 03:50:52 AM »
We are using lobelia... works GREAT!

Just wondering if there was more we could do...

Is green phlegm bad?

Offline Simply Kristen

• My weekly podcast that explores all aspects of healthy living.
  • Master
    • SimplyKristen Blog
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2008, 03:53:36 AM »
Green mucous usually signals there is some sort of infection.... i think....

How long were you in this house?

Offline joshs_rebekah

• Adept
  • Shalom-Girl
    • The Larson Log
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2008, 04:25:01 AM »
Josh was in the house for about 6 hours.  My daughter and I weren't at the house, just wondering if we might have caught something from his clothes?  We were already sick-ish, so our immune systems could have been compromised already?

Offline lotsagirls

• Adept
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2008, 05:05:50 AM »
Clear and yellow are okay, but green means infection.

Is he consuming any dairy?  If so, I'd so no more til he's better.  I'd also consider no wheat.  Lots of garlic...do you have any echinacea?  And Vit C and zinc would also be good.
Lo, children are an heritage of the Lord: and the fruit of the womb is his reward.  Psalm 127:3

Offline joshs_rebekah

• Adept
  • Shalom-Girl
    • The Larson Log
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2008, 05:14:38 AM »
Clear and yellow are okay, but green means infection.

Is he consuming any dairy?  If so, I'd so no more til he's better.  I'd also consider no wheat.  Lots of garlic...do you have any echinacea?  And Vit C and zinc would also be good.

Does Kefir count as dairy?  He is allergic to gluten, so wheat is out.  We can handle the garlic...will have to check into the echinacea and Vit C and Zinc...

Thanks!

By the way, Baby and I have more dry coughs...

Offline lotsagirls

• Adept
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2008, 05:20:58 AM »
When I have a dry, hacking cough I usually mix equal parts lemon juice and honey and add a heaping tsp of slippery elm to it.  Warm and sip.  I don't really care for the taste of slippery elm, but it really helps with a cough.  When I drink this before bed, I sleep like a rock!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2008, 05:45:49 AM »
You don't have to make goot to get the good effects of garlic.  Personally I find goot to be messy and more smelly than the alternatives so I don't mess with it.  If your husband is a tough customer, try a poultice instead.  If he's a bit braver than that, cut up some cloves of garlic to pill size and have him take them like pills.

I agree that green is a sign of infection.  Mucous is produced to lubricate but also to carry things out of the body.  It could be anything from a virus to some kind of bad dust that was inhaled.
  My favorite herb book!!