Author Topic: Hemorrhoids: Causes & Cures  (Read 72794 times)

Offline joyful_mommy03

• Adept
Re: Hemorrhoids: Causes & Cures
« Reply #60 on: August 01, 2008, 04:10:06 PM »
The bad thing about "just push it back in" is that at some point, you have to, uh, poop, and how do you do that without pushing it back out?   ??? ??? :P  The thing that helped me the most was to keep a footstool near the toilet and use it EVERY time I had to go.  i also keep some OTC generic prep H around for flareups but putting my feet up while on the throne gave me the most consistent relief.  Okay... this subject is funny but a little humbling too.  :-[ Just what you were wondering about me and my personal habits, right? ::)

DEFINITELY a humbling experience!!  So, with the position on the toilet - does that make current inflammations go away, or does it prevent the next inflammation?  I'm willing to try anything at this point!!  I thought I was done with pain for a while last week after I gave birth - not so!!!

Offline MacyMay

• Learning
« Reply #61 on: August 01, 2008, 07:06:23 PM »
Help!!  It hurts!!

I've never had this problem before and now it has started - exactly one week after baby #4 was born.  From reading this thread, its one of the thrombosed external ones, I think.

So, am I right that I can treat the pain and try to get the swelling to go down some, but as far as getting RID of it, I have to wait until it goes away on its own????

My midwife also told me to "just push it back in" but that hasn't worked.  I've been using witch hazel wipes and one of those over the counter ointments.  Its helped with the pain some, but I was hoping that it would GO AWAY!!!  It just started two days ago - so maybe I've got another week or more of this. 

I feel your pain.  :D This is a subject that I wish I knew NOTHING about, but unfortunately... I'm rawtha well acquainted with it.  :(

I will share what I have learned in the past week or so. Thrombosed external hemorrhoids: nasty little buggers. They don't go away as easily as one might hope, either. Witch hazel did nothing for me.

I will admit this only because I hope it helps someone else. I tried taking a liquid cayenne tincture, hoping it would help. It did seem to help. Unfortunately, it made my breastfeeding baby extremely fussy. Fussy to the point that it didn't seem fair to take it anymore.

So... I tried applying it externally. On the problem area.

Yikes.

Yes, I realized in advance that it was going to be painful. But I figured, it'll burn like crazy for a couple of minutes, but then the worst will be over, and it'll help the problem, right?

Wrong. SO, SO WRONG.

Here's what REALLY happens:

You put the liquid cayenne on. It's warm. You're prepared for this. So you apply more, figuring, if it's gonna hurt, anyway, I might as well put on enough to do the job properly.

Then you walk away, thinking, "Hot, but do-able".

Five minutes into this little experiment, it is getting less do-able all the time. It burns like crazy, it's getting WORSE, and it's hard to nonchalantly eat dinner with your family like everything is normal.

Fifteen minutes in, you can no longer pretend nothing is wrong. You confess to your husband what you have done. (Is there no feminine mystery left??) He is mildly amused, and does not understand how BADLY this is starting to hurt.

Twenty minutes: you look longingly at the ice is your husband is taking out of the freezer.

Thirty minutes: STILL burning.

I kid you not: an hour later, the burn was still there. At that point, it was now bearable, but man! Do NOT try this unless you're willing to put up with some major pain. I don't know if I'll ever watch an exercise video again and hear them say, "Feel the burn!" without thinking of this.

I should mention, though, that the liquid cayenne I used was supposed to be some of the hottest there is. Maybe a milder powder wouldn't have been as bad?

Oh. I almost forgot; here's the really bad part:

It didn't help. It may have helped the other "basic" hemorrhoids, which weren't that bad to begin with, but the thrombosed one was still there in all its glory.

Moral of the story? Don't try this. It just ain't worth it.

Good news is, my thrombosed little friend seems to be going away on its own for good after about a week. Hope yours leaves soon, too.

"If you hold on tight, to what you think is your thing, you may find you're missing all the rest" ...Dave Matthews Band

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #62 on: August 02, 2008, 04:37:53 AM »
The bad thing about "just push it back in" is that at some point, you have to, uh, poop, and how do you do that without pushing it back out?   ??? ??? :P  The thing that helped me the most was to keep a footstool near the toilet and use it EVERY time I had to go.  i also keep some OTC generic prep H around for flareups but putting my feet up while on the throne gave me the most consistent relief.  Okay... this subject is funny but a little humbling too.  :-[ Just what you were wondering about me and my personal habits, right? ::)

DEFINITELY a humbling experience!!  So, with the position on the toilet - does that make current inflammations go away, or does it prevent the next inflammation?  I'm willing to try anything at this point!!  I thought I was done with pain for a while last week after I gave birth - not so!!!
The key here is to make sure that going to the bathroom doesn't further inflame the situation.  Having the feet on a footstool can help this.  Upping your fiber intake and water intake can help this considerably as well.  Also relaxing in the bathroom is important.  Never rush, push or force it.  Straining will only make it worse.  My doctor prescribed reading.  ;D  Always have some good reading material available to distract you from the task.  If you're having difficulties make sure you're breathing deeply just as you would if you were haviing a baby.  Sounds a bit corny, but it works.  ;)
I don't know if I'll ever watch an exercise video again and hear them say, "Feel the burn!" without thinking of this.

ROTFL
« Last Edit: August 02, 2008, 04:40:18 AM by healthybratt »
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline jhandrh

• Adept
« Reply #63 on: August 02, 2008, 06:05:20 AM »
I think somewhere else in the thread I mentioned that I read the footstool thing in "lose your mummy tummy" by Julie Tupler.  the squatting position is supposed to be the more natural way for your body to eliminate and in countries where they use it all the time (as opposed to us in the civilized world who use toilets), hemorrhoids are much less of a problem in the general population.  I am still not exactly sure how this works to help the inflammation but possibly helps to empty things out more completely??? allowing better blood circulation in the lower bowel thus putting less pressure on the hemorrhoids. 
I also use the prep H (I know, it's not all natural but I had some leftover stuff that i'm using up instead of wasting it) right away when I start to hurt...as opposed to waiting till I am in serious pain.  that seems to help too.  If you want to use natural hemorrhoid relief there are some oils and other remedies discussed in this thread earlier. 
And I would second what hb said about fiber/water.  Make sure you are pooping every day, preferably a couple times a day, to keep things moving and keep the pressure off the little buggers.  (the first couple days of regularity can be pretty awful on the hemorrhoids but the long term relief is worth it.)  Mine were never thrombosed but from the pain I have had from plain old regular hemorrhoids I can only imagine what you are feeling!! (and I really don't want to go there!!  :o :o :'() HTH.

Offline joyful_mommy03

• Adept
« Reply #64 on: August 02, 2008, 09:19:44 AM »
Thank you all so much for all the advice and moral support!  What an experience this had been!   >:(  I'm going to put into practice all the advice you've given. 

Would you guys recommend taking an over the counter fiber supplement or laxative for a while?  I'm also sure I'm not drinking enough - so off I go to down some water.

Offline jhandrh

• Adept
« Reply #65 on: August 03, 2008, 12:32:21 PM »
I'd recommend psyllium or nature's 3 from Nature's Sunshine.  Or something similar.  And I would take it all the time unless you are really upping your fruit and vegetable intake.  I don't know how your diet is but most of us don't eat enough fiber every day (i'm guilty too.). I tried citrucel and it definitely tastes better but IMO the natural stuff works better.  Also lots of apples, apple juice, apple cider (when it's in season), prunes, raisins, prune juice, are great to keep you regular.  Oatmeal with raisins for breakfast...can you tell I have lots of experience with this problem?   ::) :P :)

Offline ArmyWife

• Adept
    • the Kirkland Family
« Reply #66 on: August 03, 2008, 03:08:00 PM »
Taking cayenne internally is what has helped my dad the most.  I got the information about it helping hemorrhoids from the bulkherbstore site.  He also tried applying it externally, like a poultice, but about passed out from the pain.  He's just been taking a 1/4 tsp. for the last month or so and it has really helped, as he was having a LOT of pain.  He told me he'd kinda gotten away from taking cayenne for about a week, and the hemorrhoids started hurting again.  He took his cayenne, and it was either the same day or else the next that they were better.  He's making sure to take it now! And for him, just 1/4 tsp. daily has helped.  HTH someone else!  I'll mention to him about propping his feet up.
Feel free to visit our family blogspot!  http://toddandannakirkland.blogspot.com

Offline stonestreet

• Learning
« Reply #67 on: August 27, 2008, 11:30:27 AM »
Water is really the key to getting control of hemorrhoids.  Also, when mine flair up I totally cut out sugar for a few days and drink tons of water and that really helps quickly.  You will see relief in a matter of a few days. I do use the cream when it is unbearable but I try to only use it when I'm desperate.

Offline stonestreet

• Learning
« Reply #68 on: August 27, 2008, 11:33:32 AM »
oh yeah - one more really important thing is to eat lots of natural fiber... Fruits, veggies, whole grains, beans... especially fruits and veggies!

Offline chrysalyde

• Adept
« Reply #69 on: October 09, 2008, 09:08:11 AM »
I'm not sure I have hemorrhoids so I'm going to describe my symptoms and see if some of you "experienced" ladies think it is or not.

The only time I had hemmoroids was after my first baby was born, and it was different from what I'm feeling now.

I'm in my third month of pregnancy and in the past couple of weeks, I've had terrible pain whenever I need to have a BM. The pressure is so intense I have to run to the bathroom (like when you're sick with diarrhea -only my BMs are completely normal) like I can't "hold it in". Then it burns badly as if I had a lot of gas or something (which I don't). As soon as I start passing stool the pain stops and I immediatly feel relieved but boy does it hurt before I do ! I'm not constipated or anything. Could the growing uterus be putting more pressure on the area ? Is it a vascular problem ? Thanks for any advice !

Offline Whiterock

• Jesus Knows Me, This I Love
  • Guru
  • Eph 6:16
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #70 on: October 10, 2008, 05:28:17 AM »
I have Dumper Bumpers and your symptoms don't sound like anything I have experienced, yet. But that doesn't mean much since some people have internal and some have external hemorrhoids and i would imagine the symptoms are different for both and also would depend on size or severity. I'd ask my midwife or OBGYN about it, for sure.
Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
« Reply #71 on: October 10, 2008, 08:56:53 AM »
Dumper Bumpers

ROTFL!!!!  WR...you're hillarious!

This sounds more like a problem with urgency...like a colon spasm.  Could it be related to the gall bladder maybe?  A friend of mine used to have this a lot when she would eat anything with high fat in it.  She could barely make it home from a restraunt some times.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2008, 09:00:00 AM by hi_itsgwen »
Come see me at www.gwens-nest.com
♥ Check out our family favorite recipes, funny kid stories, natural remedies and other creative and fun stuff.

Offline jhandrh

• Adept
« Reply #72 on: October 11, 2008, 02:58:43 AM »
I have mild hemorrhoids and I have also experienced similar pain to what you are describing.  It happened a lot more while I was pg (when the hemorrhoids inconvenienced me a lot more than now, and I had a lot of problems with constipation at that time as well).  I would also describe it as severe pain "right inside the back door"  ::) for lack of a better description, and it goes away after a bm.  I have also had my gallbladder out, and my stomach yo-yo's between constipation and diarrhea right now but that's another story.  Anyway, if I eat the wrong things; or if a usually okay food strikes my weird stomach the wrong way  ::) I have problems with urgency too.  However, the pain does not go along with the urgency every time.  The scenario that usually sets me up for some serious pain is if I have been constipated and there is too much pressure in that area, (at that time usually my hemorrhoids are acting up) and then I eat something that doesn't agree with me and then I end up running to the bathroom and the hard stool from the constipation has to get out first before the diarrhea hits. ::) :'(  This is not fun. Don't know if this info helps you but that's my experience anyway.

Offline Ima_here

• Wide Eyed
  • There's always time for loved ones and tea.
« Reply #73 on: October 24, 2008, 05:04:56 PM »
I am new to the site. Found it while searching for something else. Saw this thread with some other search results.

A quick help to ease the pain and inflammation of external hemorrhoids is to simply apply a tea bag.

The Tetley tea bags are round and tagless, which also means staple-less.
It can be a regular black tea bag or decaf.

Pour boiling water over the bag, (you can even make a cup of tea with it). Let it steep for a minute or two, then squeeze it out and let it cool down. You can apply warm or put in the refrigerator for several minutes to cool off.

Inexpensive, natural and it actually helps shrink the swelling.

After delivery a very large child with an enormous head, I actually pulled out one of the big sun tea bags - the ones that are the size of a post card. I needed serious relief and wasn't willing to wait.

Make sure it is fairly well squeezed out, but barely damp, or it may get a better squeeze after application. The easiest application is right before bedtime. It is actually possible to get it fairly comfortably applied, then sleep the night and wake up to -no- discomfort (for mild to moderate). Severe may take a bit more application.

I don't know how much it helps internal as I haven't knowingly had any but the mucous membranes are thin and readily allow passage for whatever is applied. It may well help ease the internal ones since they are essentially the same 'cluster' of vessels, interrelated.

As to the 'push it in', that's very helpful when they are larger and prominent, though it can be quite uncomfortable. If you can manage to clean well, then push it in, and immediately apply the tea bag it really does help it stay in better.

Kudos to everyone for the thorough and helpful list of dietary considerations, especially the water, fiber, consistency, position (knees higher/squat), etc.

Looks like a really nice site. I will browse around more as I am able.

Ima

Offline Proverbs31wannabe

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #74 on: January 03, 2009, 04:46:54 PM »
Hello All,

I have never had hemorrhoids until after my daughter was born.  I am currently having the first episode almost three years later.  I guess I can't complain three years is not bad but it's not much fun.  Does anyone have any recommendations besides hemorrhoid cream?  Anything natural?  Also does anyone know what causes a flair up so I can avoid this?  Thanks for your assistance.  May God bless you!

Offline ~esposita~

• Master
    • Family Fotos
« Reply #75 on: January 04, 2009, 03:31:45 AM »
Hello All,

I have never had hemorrhoids until after my daughter was born.  I am currently having the first episode almost three years later.  I guess I can't complain three years is not bad but it's not much fun.  Does anyone have any recommendations besides hemorrhoid cream?  Anything natural?  Also does anyone know what causes a flair up so I can avoid this?  Thanks for your assistance.  May God bless you!

Ugh.  What a pain in the hinney. I would recommend witch hazel.  You can buy 'tucks' at the pharmacy (I'm sure any store would have them, actually.)  They are little, round, thin cloths that are soaked in a witch hazel solution.  You can also make your own with cotton rounds and witch hazel.  When I've had hemorrhoids, I would wipe with them after a BM.  You can also 'tuck' them up there and keep them there for however long you can.  (Hence, the name 'tucks'.) 

For some reason, hemorrhoids, when not PG related, seem to pop up (no pun intended) when BM's are hard.  That only serves to make them worse, IMO.  So, I've also, at times, drank senna leaf tea to loosen things up.  I would take heed if you are pregnant, as some do not recommend senna during pregnancy.  (Causes minor cramping).  To go along with the problem of hard BM's being related to hemorrhoids, I've heard that hem. can be caused by a lack of fiber int he diet (which would cause a bit of constipation).  So...added fiber may help.

Also, I've used homemade salve similar to Miracle Salve (from beeyoutiful.com) and Eden Salve (from BulkHerbStore.com).  If you have either of those products, I wouldn't hesitate to use them.  Be forewarned - they can cause oily stains on your panties.  I apply it before bed, especially. 

As an aside, I frequently get hemorrhoids - or at least an irritated bottom- when I am at my in-laws.  No, I'm not implying anything other than the fact that my MIL only buys the cheep toilet paper similar to Scott.  IMO, you may as well use sandpaper.  Mayhaps I have a sensitive bottom; however, my 4yo daughter complains of an irritated 'popo' after using too much Scott as well.  Charmin it is, for me!

So...I know that was long.  Here it is in a nut shell:
- Witch Hazel (tucks)
- Senna Leaf tea (to soften hard stools)
- All natural salve (if you don't have any, pm me - I'd sell you a container for cheeper than what you can buy it elsewhere  8) I do have some on hand.)
- Added fiber in the diet.
- Charmin.  NOT sandpaper  ::)

HTH!!
My attempt at blogging:  The Carpenter's Wife

Offline Proverbs31wannabe

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #76 on: January 04, 2009, 02:49:24 PM »
Thank you KAmom and ~Esposita~.  I don't usually have a problem with constipation and am not having any problem now.  Just the symptoms of being itchy and uncomfortable.  I will try the Tucks when I get to a store tomorrow.  I may pass on the tea for the moment since I am having some spotting and had an early period this last time.  Whomever told me I would be regular once I had a baby was mistaken. ::)  I do have some miracle salve so I will try that tonight before bed.  I did recently switch toilet paper so I may try changing back to northern again.  I guess some things aren't worth trying to save money on. :D  Thanks again!

Offline MacyMay

• Learning
« Reply #77 on: January 24, 2009, 07:01:24 AM »
A quick update in case anyone else out there is suffering with this particular problem:

I've had very good results with taking Butcher's Broom - I can't PROVE this is what has caused the lasting improvements, but it certainly seems to be. I've been taking the Sanhelios brand.

Cayenne - internally, if you can take it, seems to work very well. Since it bothered my breastfeeding baby, I had to quit. See my earlier post about the dangers of applying it externally.  :o It may help, but IMO it's not worth it unless you are TRULY desperate and nothing else has helped at all. You're trying to relieve pain, right? Cayenne applied directly to the area is definitely not pain-relieving. (At least, not for quite awhile).  It brings a whole new meaning to the phrase "Fire in the hole!"  :D I kid you not - this method is not for wimps.

Grapeseed extract - I didn't notice any great results with this, and I took an expensive brand consistently. Nothing bad happened, but it didn't seem to make any difference in the hemorrhoids, either. I only took it for about a month, though.

Witch hazel - while somewhat soothing for a moment, this did NOTHING for the thrombosed bugger I was dealing with.

Red potatoes - soothing. Messy. No long-term effect noticed.

Yarrow - never got around to trying it. Butcher's Broom must be working too well.   ;D

Hope this helps someone.
"If you hold on tight, to what you think is your thing, you may find you're missing all the rest" ...Dave Matthews Band

Offline prairiechild

• Adept
« Reply #78 on: January 24, 2009, 04:40:15 PM »
Is butcher's broom OK while breastfeeding? I couldn't find anything conclusive...

Offline MacyMay

• Learning
« Reply #79 on: January 25, 2009, 10:54:12 AM »
I can only tell you what my midwife told me: I asked her before I started it, and she told me it was fine. And, it hasn't seemed to bother or affect my baby at all. I take the normal dose (Sanhelios offers a higher dose, as well as the original), though, so I don't know if a higher dose would be safe or not. HTH

Offline Jeanne Carol

• Learning
« Reply #80 on: February 15, 2009, 03:54:29 PM »
This thread has been very informative!  I've read the entire thread today, and got instant relief from my painful sitting up position as soon as I read the first post about using a donut...I'd forgotten about those since the last 3 births have been sections. 

I am now armed with lots of things to try, but I do have a question that I haven't seen answered yet.  What does a thrombosed hemorroid feel and look like?  I'm trying to make sure if that is my problem.

Here is my background:  Gave birth to sweet baby #8 less than 2 weeks ago via c-section.  Was on darvocet & ibuprofen.  After coming home I had 3 hard bowel movements while taking them (darvocet will make you consitpated, plus my hospital diet was not high fiber, plus I was recovering from a section).  I'm thinking that I didn't feel how hard I was pushing during bm's  b/c of the pain meds.  I've had hemorroids with vaginal births, but didn't expect it with the section.  So, 2 days ago, I took my last ibuprofen... I had weened off darvocet several days prior to that.  I also had a bm that morning which was hard.  Yesterday I began to hurt in my entire pelvic floor... actually from my lower back to my rectum to the vaginal area, just felt like lots of pressure, and it hurt to sit up in bed or a chair.  So I called the postpartum nurses, and they said to take the stool softener, colase, plus milk of magnesia to see if it was just consitpation.  I did that plus drank a lot of water, and some apple juice with flax seeds soaked in which I chewed as well as drank.  Less that an hour later I passed a large, hard bm and a lot of soft matter as well.  I should say that before I had my first one post birth, it had been a week since I went bm.  I guess, again, that was due to the pain meds.  So even though I'd gone 3 times since coming home, I still had bowel that needed to eliminate.  This morning, after my shower, I decided to have a look-see, and there was a flesh colored bump sticking out of my rectum (sorry about the graphics... ya'll have already cracked me up on this thread with your jokes... gotta luv ya).  I immediately thought it was a hemorroid.  So the question:

Is that what a thrombosed hemorroid looks like???  ???

And, what does it feel like?  This has only hurt when I'm in a sitting position, which as I said, the donut has helped immensely.

Thanks again for all the good advice so far.  And TIA if anyone has the answers to my 2 questions. 

Offline Jeanne Carol

• Learning
« Reply #81 on: February 17, 2009, 01:57:57 PM »
.  What does a thrombosed hemorroid feel and look like?  I'm trying to make sure if that is my problem.

And, what does it feel like? 

Offline MacyMay

• Learning
« Reply #82 on: February 18, 2009, 05:56:09 AM »
.  What does a thrombosed hemorroid feel and look like?  I'm trying to make sure if that is my problem.

And, what does it feel like? 

Try this link for a picture of an external thrombosed hemorrhoid. http://www.hemorrhoid.net/hemorrhoid_gallery_warning.php Be warned: the pictures are gross.

It feels like a swollen, fairly firm bump, and it can be very tender (read: painful!!).

HTH!

Offline its_me518

• Adept
  • Check out GenuineAid.com for Natural Health info.
    • Natural Health Blog
« Reply #83 on: April 07, 2009, 08:48:59 AM »
So I am wondering about Butchers Broom. What is it? Is it supposed to help with the inside or outside hemorroids? Do you take it forever or stop when you feel "healed"?

Also, I just wanted to add that hemorrhoids are not just caused by hard/consitpated bms.. they are also caused by loose/frequent/acidic bms too.

So now here is another question: is it safe to take Psyllium everyday for the rest of your life? Or does it have some side effects? Is it safe for kids?

Thanks!
http://www.GenuineAid.com is the Natural Health Blog for Nutrients and Benefits of Fruits, Vegetables, Berries, Nuts, Meats, Dairy, Herbs, and other Foods.

Offline SarahK

• Master
« Reply #84 on: April 07, 2009, 04:38:50 PM »
WTM Butcher's Broom topic:
http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,12501.0.html

It won't have all your answers - but a few maybe.

I have learned enough to know I still have lots to learn.  Teach me.
My WTM Intro updated 9/2010

Offline its_me518

• Adept
    • Natural Health Blog
« Reply #85 on: April 10, 2009, 05:45:28 AM »
Lets just say... I am having MAJOR issues  :'( >:(   :o   :'(

Is there ANY reason I should NOT use preperationH???  ??? I am planning to go get some like NOW.....

so please reply FAST!  ::)   ;)

« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 08:33:07 AM by healthybratt »
http://www.GenuineAid.com is the Natural Health Blog for Nutrients and Benefits of Fruits, Vegetables, Berries, Nuts, Meats, Dairy, Herbs, and other Foods.

Offline SarahK

• Master
« Reply #86 on: April 10, 2009, 06:04:19 AM »
I don't see a problem with it's use for immediate relief.  I know you intend to treat for immediate relief with an eye to long term solutions.
I have learned enough to know I still have lots to learn.  Teach me.
My WTM Intro updated 9/2010

Offline its_me518

• Adept
    • Natural Health Blog
« Reply #87 on: April 10, 2009, 06:36:15 AM »
I don't see a problem with it's use for immediate relief.  I know you intend to treat for immediate relief with an eye to long term solutions.

Yes, I need IMMEDIATE relief!!  ::)

I have been "battling" this for the last week (all naturally  ::) ) And as of now, I am in major pain! I'm tired of "waiting" it out. I am taking measure to "cure" this in the long run, but I need the pain gone!

Thanks! I was glad to read "some" assurance to its "okness"!  ;)

Offline Mamatoto

• Adept
    • Lanae and Baby
« Reply #88 on: April 10, 2009, 05:00:09 PM »
After DS's birth, I tried EVERYTHING my post-partum doula and I could find in all of our natural/herb books, etc.  Frozen witch hazel pads provided relief for about 2 minutes, and "the pillow" made sitting only moderately more painful than standing, but nothing else came close to working at all.  So I finally caved in and had my doula buy me some Preparation H - WOW!  Still took about four weeks to completely heal (they were the largest my midwife had ever seen), but IT PROVIDES RELIEF and makes living bearable.  IMO- Get it!!!!!
These words, which I am commanding you today, shall be on your heart.  You shall teach them diligently to your sons and shall talk of them when you sit in your house and when you walk by the way and when you lie down and when you rise up.  Deut 6:6-7

www.facebook.com/LanaeLeavittArbonneConsultant

Offline tynnille

• Adept
« Reply #89 on: April 12, 2009, 03:30:24 PM »
I use Coconut oil. Slather it on there and it really seems to work fast. Keep a jar by the toilet and everytime you go to the bathroom slather some on there again. Also, to help keep the bowel movements easy, take smashed garlic cloves. THey really help keep the stools from getting too hard and thus making the hemorrhoids worse. Hope this helps.
Tennille