Author Topic: Hemorrhoids: Causes & Cures  (Read 72795 times)

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
Re: Hemorrhoids: Causes & Cures
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2007, 04:00:58 AM »
Are red potatoes astringent?  And, for the question of the day... exactly how does one go about making a suppository out of red potato shreds?! 

I read somewhere to cut the potato into a cone shape and insert into the netherlandish area if you catch my drift.  Never tried it personally.
[/quote]Homemade suppositories.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Livelovely

• Adept
« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2007, 05:34:10 PM »
For those of you that are pregnant and have internal hemorrhoids white oak bark works wonders.  Just thought I would pass the info along.  It is an astringent herb.  It has stopped bleeding internal hemorrhoids.  I know someone who takes 4-6 capsules a day for them and it has cured her of any problems with them. 
Mama, is your name Honey or just Mama?

Offline snickerdoodle

• Master
« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2007, 09:24:40 AM »
Potty stools... 

I got this idea while reading 'Husband Coached Childbirth'.  Dr. Bradley talks about how a colleague of his from India hopped up on the toilet and squatted to potty and explained to him that in India the toilets were basically just holes in the floors that one would squat over and how hemorrhoids are not a common problem at all in his homeland.  So I started pulling our short little bathroom trash can around in front of the potty and putting my feet up on it.  It has helped me tremendously.  (no more bleeding)

So I was thinking if one would keep a little stool in the bathroom (like the ones children use to reach the counter) that is tall enough to get your knees up to a squatting position that it may really help heal or eliminate their hemorrhoids without using chemicals, herbs or topical treatments...   

Offline lotsagirls

• Adept
« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2007, 09:55:03 AM »
Potty stools... 

I got this idea while reading 'Husband Coached Childbirth'.  Dr. Bradley talks about how a colleague of his from India hopped up on the toilet and squatted to potty and explained to him that in India the toilets were basically just holes in the floors that one would squat over and how hemorrhoids are not a common problem at all in his homeland.  So I started pulling our short little bathroom trash can around in front of the potty and putting my feet up on it.  It has helped me tremendously.  (no more bleeding)

So I was thinking if one would keep a little stool in the bathroom (like the ones children use to reach the counter) that is tall enough to get your knees up to a squatting position that it may really help heal or eliminate their hemorrhoids without using chemicals, herbs or topical treatments...   

I got the same idea after I read the book.  With this pregnancy I've been using my dd's potty chair (which is also a step stool) when I go.  It has helped quite a bit!
Lo, children are an heritage of the Lord: and the fruit of the womb is his reward.  Psalm 127:3

Offline snickerdoodle

• Master
« Reply #34 on: July 19, 2007, 11:49:54 AM »
 ;) Great minds think alike...

Offline jessicah

• Adept
« Reply #35 on: July 28, 2007, 07:17:36 AM »
If you have any recipes for an herbal tincture to help hemmerhoids please send it to me or post it. I am looking for something to take internally.
thanks,
jessica
Jessicah

Let me share with you how I keep my family healthy!
www.jessicahannonjuiceplus.com

Juice Plus+ the next best thing to fruits and vegetables. It is not that fruits and vegeis are just good for you, its that they can save your life

Offline amazonmama2five

• Adept
    • Amazonmamasadventures
« Reply #36 on: July 28, 2007, 07:45:48 AM »
Hey jessicah!
I found this at the bulk herb store.  It sounds really simple to make and I am going to try it out on us!   My MAN suffers from this every now and again so it would be great to finally have an internal solution.

http://www.bulkherbstore.com/SNT?s=hemorrhoids

Hope this has helped,
Lisa
He is no fool that gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose.~Jim Elliot
My Intro
Visit our site!

Offline joeswife

• Adept
    • Jumping on the bed.
« Reply #37 on: July 28, 2007, 01:15:43 PM »
My mid wife reccomends whitch hazel. I used it and it is really soothing.

Offline twitterpated4hubby

• Adept
« Reply #38 on: October 08, 2007, 10:48:39 AM »
Ladies, i need to ask a question for a friend of mine. She is hurting terribly from hemorrhoids and ppl are trying to talk her into going to the DR. She is also constipated and i figure a dr would just put her on some meds that would be harmful in the long run. I'm wondering if goot would be good to use for the hemorrhoids. What do you think?
http://keepyourcloveson.blogspot.com/2008_10_01_archive.html

"...I found the one my heart loves. I held him and would not let him go..." -Song of Songs 3:4

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #39 on: October 08, 2007, 11:05:50 AM »
Ladies, i need to ask a question for a friend of mine. She is hurting terribly from hemorrhoids and ppl are trying to talk her into going to the DR. She is also constipated and i figure a dr would just put her on some meds that would be harmful in the long run. I'm wondering if goot would be good to use for the hemorrhoids. What do you think?
hemorrhoids are not caused from an infection so my guess is that GOOT would not provide any quick relief.  They are a swelling of tissue caused by straining in the bathroom.  Constipation is the leading cause.  To cure them, you need to cure the constipation.  For immediate relief while digestion is healing, you might have her try some witch hazel directly on the swelling.  This should help them to shrink some and provide some comfort.

Check this link for constipation.

http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,3594.0.html
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline SarahK

• Master
« Reply #40 on: October 08, 2007, 11:12:12 AM »
Witch hazel is really cheap and available at any little drug store I have ever seen.  It can be applied often (every time that spot is available) and will cool it well.  Miracle Salve and Eden salve are also helpful to symptoms, but won't address the problem.  This topic is FULL of good suggestions! 
I have learned enough to know I still have lots to learn.  Teach me.
My WTM Intro updated 9/2010

Offline Created4Jeff

• Adept
« Reply #41 on: November 27, 2007, 05:59:32 PM »
Hate to drag up such an ugly topic, but what are friends for? Lol.

Speaking of friends, I have had hemorrhoids since I had my first dd in May 2004.  As a matter of fact, I think my trouble started pre-labor.  Anyway, they rear their ugly heads every so often.  The last four days, I had four bm with blood in toilet and on tissue after each.  The bleeding has stopped (finally) this afternoon.  Is it common for hemorrhoids to cause this much bleeding for such an extended period of time?  And by the way, what is a hemorrhoid?  I know that sounds stupid, but I know what it feels like but not what it is!  A friend of mine thought it was part of your intestine sticking out??  I don't have a clue!

I have been treating myself with fiber supplements and stool softeners.  ( know, I know, it's not herbal, but I didn't know what else to do to help!)  I have learned alot from this thread, so thanks!  Alot!!
Privileged Help Meet to Jeff 8 years; Happy Mom of Katie - 4, & Taylor - 1.
"For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind."  2 Timothy 1:7

Offline AndysJess

• Adept
  • blessed to be my husband's wife
« Reply #42 on: November 27, 2007, 07:28:00 PM »
Well, I made it through 3 pregnancies and deliveries with no problems.  Now, almost 30 weeks into my fourth pregnancy, I am having problems.  I am definitely going to try the witch hazel, Tummy Tune-Up and putting my feet up on the trash can while going to the bathroom.  Hopefully, this all helps. 
Ok, when it comes time to deliver, any suggestions on how to keep them from becoming worse?
Helpmeet to Andy for over 10 years.  Mama to Drew, Dylan, Cullen & Avery...new baby due in May 2010

Offline larissakissa

• Adept
« Reply #43 on: January 17, 2008, 10:50:04 AM »
Ok, when it comes time to deliver, any suggestions on how to keep them from becoming worse?
I would also like to know since I have the same problem. :-[  I'm trying the witch hazel, but after two days they are still the same size.  :-\ How long does it take for them to shrink?

Offline freshisbest

• Adept
« Reply #44 on: January 17, 2008, 11:48:12 AM »
I had " the worst case they'd ever seen" .after my 1st.. one nurse said mix in a  blender Mint Milk of Magnesia, Witch hazel, and ice. I did it ( 14 yrs ago) and remember it being a little too cold! But I don't remember terrible pain like I had after my 4th and did nothing but walk around the house in tears for a week. Other times I tried those gel pack ice-packs and they were great as with the covers on they weren't so cold as regular ice.

Offline jhandrh

• Adept
« Reply #45 on: January 17, 2008, 11:54:50 AM »
I would also like to know since I have the same problem. :-[  I'm trying the witch hazel, but after two days they are still the same size.  :-\ How long does it take for them to shrink?

mine have been an off/on problem during my last 2 pregnancies and during the last month or so with my 3rd were totally miserable and NOTHING helped--i think because baby was sitting so low and no matter what i ate or drank i was constipated.  btw, for the lady who wanted to know what they are, they are actually varicose veins.  which is why they get aggravated by the weight of the baby or constipation cutting off blood flow to the area.  i just had to wait mine out and after delivery i was pretty miserable from them.  i don't think there is much you can do about the actual delivery aggravating them--when you are pushing a baby out you can't avoid pushing them out too.  but afterwards you can do a lot to help.  the things that helped me most were the pads with the cold packs in them--very soothing and helped decrease swelling to the area--and not sitting directly on my bottom for a LONG time afterward.  i would put the witch hazel pads on top of the cold pack pads and that was great.  i also did lots of kegels which I think helped too.  i was actually surprised how quickly they improved. i think it took a little over a week for me to be pretty comfortable again.  some women also like sitz baths after delivery.  i didn't--i thought it was too much like sitting on the toilet which obviously makes them feel worse.  
when i'm not pregnant they don't bother me unless i get constipated.  hope that is helpful--i really feel for you because i remember how miserable i was!  but the good part is that nobody's pregnant forever and they do get a lot better afterward! :)

Offline tmartin92

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #46 on: April 01, 2008, 05:17:56 AM »
This is not a one time fix though. The herbs would take a few weeks to work internally. There is probably something that is causing the hemorrhoids that she needs to figure out so after she is healed from the herbs it won't come back.

I am having my second battle with a hemorrhoid.  The first was a few years ago. 
How do you figure out what causes them?  I am not one to struggle with constipation or large bms. 
Could it be spicey foods?  I had sezchuan chicken 3 to 4 days prior. 
Also, it seems like my ph is off (sort of acidy burps and bms).  But I just started taking a calcium/magnesium supplement  again after running out for about three weeks.  That normally takes care of that problem for me although I went from Nature's Sunshine to the NOW brand.  I think it is the loose, acidy bms that are the problem.  It was the same the first time I had one.

Also, can you cure them forever or do you just keep them from coming up again?

Offline littlemama24

• Master
    • check out this website!
« Reply #47 on: April 01, 2008, 05:31:31 AM »
I've had to have "surgery" for these twice.  Once right before my 3rd son was born and once right after he was born.  The hemerrhoids actually kind-of "ruptured" and I lost a lot of blood, like filling pads.  :P  It was embarrassing to say the least.  The procedure was pretty painful and although the dr was very considerate and kind, it was still quite embarrassing to have to be worked on in that position.  He said they were "impacted" I believe was the word he used.  He had to numb the area, cut them open and remove the clots.  This is TMI - but for health related info. purposes - I now have little skin "flaps" where they once were.  They will not recess back in.  Now when I give birth and they do their "checks" they always say, "uh oh - you're getting hemerrhoids" and I have to say "Um no... I sued to have some, those are my accessories".  It also makes hygiene a little more interesting... :-\, baby wipes are a must for me now and thongs are out of the question... ( ::) ). 
I still struggle with the problem if I don't drink enough water.  The doc didn't believe in unnecessary prescriptions and even after to procedures he just encouraged me to take psyllium fiber and drink LOTS of water. He is  a colo-rectal surgeon and very advanced in his field in this area and he said that Metamucil types of fiber are bogus and do not work.  He said the only kind that is any good as a bulk-forming fiber is the Psyllium.  That it can help with either too hard or too loose but it will make matters worse if not taken with enough water throughout the day. 

For relief: witch hazel has helped - esp. if done immediately.  I have learned to not just leave them alone and see how it goes.  I always treat it seriously right away.  I also made a comfrey tea and soak little cotton pads with it and apply and leave it there until the next bathroom trip (more TMI!).  You don't even notice it and it really helps relieve pain and itching.  I tried it with peppermint tincture but found that too cold.  Anyway, hth.

Offline jhandrh

• Adept
« Reply #48 on: April 01, 2008, 06:51:47 AM »
Has anybody had success with improving hemorrhoids by placing your feet on a low stool (about 7" high) when you go to the bathroom?  Julie Tupler recommends this in her book "Lose Your Mummy Tummy."  I was still having off/on problems w/ hemorrhoids--they are a lot better than while I was preggers but if I got constipated, or "went" more than usual (if you are doing the water cure, beware!  ;)) they would be uncomfortable.  However, since trying the stepstool thing for about a week now I have not had the usual burning/swelling that I had been getting a few times a week.  I am hoping this is actually helping and not just a coincidental fluke.  If you keep a little stepstool in the bathroom for your kids that is probably about the right size to use.
The theory behind why this works is body mechanics--she says that in countries where they squat to do their "personal business" incidences of hemorrhoids are much less than countries that use traditional toilets.  She says that squatting is the more natural position for elimination and helps the body to empty more completely. 

Offline Mrs. JDT

• Adept
« Reply #49 on: April 01, 2008, 01:30:37 PM »
Shonda Parker's Restore Oil does wonders for this ailment. It is available at birthsupplies.com I think the company is Baby, Birth, and Beyond.
The Restore Oil was made for vaginal use for yeast and Group B Strep problems, but I have used it for hemorrhoids and it has really helped. Make sure you ask for the formula that is safe in pregnancy if you are pregnant b/c they have a formula that has some essential oils in it that are not for use in pregnancy. It is great stuff I cannot recommend it more highly.

YoopreMama

« Reply #50 on: May 17, 2008, 01:32:48 PM »
To summarize some of the cures:

aloe vera
witch hazel (cheaper to buy a bottle vs. Tucks)
lavender EO mixed a/ aloe vera
shredded red potatoes  :o :-X
drinking lots of water
eating lots of yogurt (in general, trying to be regular)
Eden salve (maybe Miracle salve, too?)

I also think yellowdock root is what I researched to be helpful...that and passion flower.  My MW said to push them in.  ???

Also, I didn't know that diarrhea could cause these--thought it was only constipation-related.  So castor oil, when used for natural induction, could lead to these.   ::)

Offline momof6

• Learning
    • mannatech associate site
« Reply #51 on: May 17, 2008, 03:45:52 PM »
As an experienced hemorrhoidian :)  I must say that shredded raw potato (I used white) is awesome at cooling them.  It's a little messy  :P but the relief was worth it just prior and after my last birth.  I actually saw a surgeon, then, without insurance and being desperate, I found "Avatrol" online from Progressive Health.  I don't know much about their company, except to say, it WORKS.  It somehow, with its natural ingredients (too many to list here, but you can read them online), shrunk them, both internally and externally.  I keep a bottle on hand so I don't go through such terrible pain again.  I do still bleed occasionally, and I have changed my diet for the better, so I don't know what is really going on completely.  Just to say, raw potatoes work for the external, and Avatrol worked for me for both.  I never had a hemorroid in my life until I birthed our first baby in Germany, breastfed, and no one told me to DRINK alot.  I thought I would die with the pain, really.  Prune juice and prunes help to avoid the problem altogether, so my dear hubby then, instead of flowers after a birth, always bought me a big jug of prune juice......he truly loves me!!!  He is a great guy, but to care for me in that way was sweet.  Ok, I'm rambling.  Sorry!
Sheri

"My hope is built on nothing less than JESUS' blood and righteousness"

www.mannapages.com/sherireimer

Offline MacyMay

• Learning
« Reply #52 on: July 22, 2008, 01:12:43 PM »
Argh, I hate this subject. Specifically because I'm dealing with it... again. 
It's been an off and on problem in my life. Never had any problems 'til I started having the kiddos, though. Anyway, after every child, they tend to crop up again, but this time with a new "twist". I thought I had them pretty well under control, and all of a sudden, out of the blue I have this lovely condition called a thrombosed external hemorrhoid. Supposedly this is caused by a blood clot, but I have no idea why this happened now. Does this mean my blood is clotting too well? Or is it just a fluke?

Anyway, it's really not cool. Does anyone have any suggestions specifically for a thrombosed external hemorrhoid? I cannot tell you how MUCH I do NOT want to show this to a health practitioner!  :-[

I'm trying to eat healthy, drink enough, and taking grapeseed extract. I'm going to check with my MW and make sure it's okay to take butcher's broom while nursing.

Anybody had experience with one of these little buggers? (And is brave enough to share it?  ;D)
"If you hold on tight, to what you think is your thing, you may find you're missing all the rest" ...Dave Matthews Band

Offline blessedmama

• Adept
« Reply #53 on: July 23, 2008, 03:50:11 AM »
All right I'll share.  Boy do I know what you are going through.  After the birth of our 11# 9 oz boy I had thrombosed hemorroids which I did not go to the doctor for.  I use to work for a general surgeon they are the kind you would need to see and I've been in the room to help assist in the office procedure for these little buggers and didn't want the humiliation myself.  I had 2-3 thrombosed. 

Get a doughnut to sit on, do sitz baths and I used suppositorys that I kept in the fridge.  They dissolved after about a week or two and I never had to be seen.  We had a lay midwife baby born at home and I don't think we did anything else.  Time will heal but use that doughnut to sit on.  HTH it better my avatar shows my face!!   :D  :o
Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says, "Oh no, she's awake."  Above Rubies e-newsletter

www.homesteadblogger.com/prestonacreage

Offline MacyMay

• Learning
« Reply #54 on: July 23, 2008, 07:17:19 PM »
blessedmama, you are the coolest.  ;D Seriously, THANK YOU for sharing that. I have hope now! I didn't know if they could go away on their own or not; I'm really, REALLY glad to hear that they can.

As for my own experience, so far, things are going better, and it seems to be directly related to taking a super-hot cayenne tincture. I figured, if it's a blood clot kind of thing, and cayenne is supposed to help dissolve blockages... why not give it a go?

Ahem. I should clarify. I am taking the cayenne orally; NOT applying it to the affected area. (Although that might help, I'm thinkin' the pain would be horrible).

I can't prove that it's the cayenne working (or just the desperate prayers of a hemorrhoidian woman!), as I've only taken it twice and not in large doses, but... who knows? If you're lurking out there, sitting in front of the computer with your OWN thrombosed hemorrhoid... take heart. There is hope. Try the cayenne, dig out the doughnut, (the kind you sit on, not eat; starch is not your friend right now), and pray.  :)

I'll probably eventually post again when I know how all this turns out. In the meantime, blessedmama gets all the points for the day for the most helpful post.  ;D Thanks!

OH.... and, just so I know, what DO they do for these things at the doctor?  :( (where's the wincing smiley when you need it?)

"If you hold on tight, to what you think is your thing, you may find you're missing all the rest" ...Dave Matthews Band

Offline mhoward1999

• Adept
« Reply #55 on: July 24, 2008, 06:11:09 AM »
I'll probably eventually post again when I know how all this turns out.
I'm sorry, I know this is  very tender subject, but that line had me ROTFLOL!!! :D

Offline MacyMay

• Learning
« Reply #56 on: July 24, 2008, 08:17:50 AM »
"Tender" subject is right!  ;D

(Clearly, there are those who enjoy hemorrhoid humor...)  :D

Offline mhoward1999

• Adept
« Reply #57 on: July 24, 2008, 09:06:26 AM »
 :D

Offline joyful_mommy03

• Adept
« Reply #58 on: August 01, 2008, 03:20:35 PM »
Help!!  It hurts!!

I've never had this problem before and now it has started - exactly one week after baby #4 was born.  From reading this thread, its one of the thrombosed external ones, I think.

So, am I right that I can treat the pain and try to get the swelling to go down some, but as far as getting RID of it, I have to wait until it goes away on its own????

My midwife also told me to "just push it back in" but that hasn't worked.  I've been using witch hazel wipes and one of those over the counter ointments.  Its helped with the pain some, but I was hoping that it would GO AWAY!!!  It just started two days ago - so maybe I've got another week or more of this. 

Offline jhandrh

• Adept
« Reply #59 on: August 01, 2008, 03:33:00 PM »
The bad thing about "just push it back in" is that at some point, you have to, uh, poop, and how do you do that without pushing it back out?   ??? ??? :P  The thing that helped me the most was to keep a footstool near the toilet and use it EVERY time I had to go.  i also keep some OTC generic prep H around for flareups but putting my feet up while on the throne gave me the most consistent relief.  Okay... this subject is funny but a little humbling too.  :-[ Just what you were wondering about me and my personal habits, right? ::)