Author Topic: Leg and/or Joint problems??? Feels dislocated or something.  (Read 34995 times)

Offline girly

• Adept
Leg and/or Joint problems??? Feels dislocated or something.
« on: April 18, 2008, 08:03:07 AM »
So, I have a problem with my leg.  This first flared up during my last pregnancy, 3 years ago.  The joint in my left hip would feel like it would "slip" out of socket.  That's the only way I know how to explain it.  I'd stand up, almost always happens after I've been sitting, and that joint would sort of lock up and it would be very painful to put weight on.  I'd sort of stand there paralyzed for a few minutes and then it would sort of fix itself.  When this happens I can't really rotate it around to work it "back into place" because it hurts something awful.  I'm sure my leg isn't actually dislocated but that is how it feels.  I had spoken to my doctor about it back then and she just assumed it was part of the loosening up of everything.  But, still now it happens and this can't be normal!  Has anyone else experienced this before.  It is consistently the same, left hip socket.  I've been down for 3 days now with major pain in my back - sciatic nerve.  Between my back and this leg thing that just popped up again I'm going crazy!!!  Now, my leg is back in place again but I just want some answers if anyone has any to offer.  Thanks.

Offline ladyhen

• Master
Re: Leg and/or Joint problems??? Feels dislocated or something.
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2008, 08:12:14 AM »
I think that a chiropractor would be able to 'fix' this.  Also would be able to show you some exercises that would strengthen those muscles and ligaments.  Be warned, though, that there is not a quick fix solution for this and it will most likely take some treatments and a lot of effort on your part to do some therapy. 

***  Had the same trouble myself as a result of a back injury years before.

hth
Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;    Titus 2:13

Offline girly

• Adept
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2008, 08:16:49 AM »
so, would you say that the back issue and the leg issue are related?  i've never suspected a relation between them because they don't feel at all related.  hmmmm.  i tried to see a chiropractor yesterday who wanted me to wait until next week.  i could barely walk but they wouldn't do anything for me >:( >:( >:(  i was so disappointed. 

Offline ladyhen

• Master
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2008, 08:21:07 AM »
Was the chiropractor that you called someone that you have seen before or are you a new patient?  If you are a new patient, then they would need a longer appointment to do testing, take history, etc. 
Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;    Titus 2:13

Offline girly

• Adept
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2008, 08:36:01 AM »
I've never been to a chiropractor before.  I went with my girlfriend who sees him all the time.  Her sister had been in on an "emergency" basis and they adjusted her and did all her scans after that.  I was more or less really put off by the way the woman at the counter acted - like I was bothering her or something like that.  She wasn't willing to even talk to the doctor about what he suggested.  She had time to do scans and stuff but said they wouldn't adjust me until next week and then made an off hand comment about how I wouldn't get any relief if they adjusted me then anyways. 

I'll never go back there to be sure because I felt like the "service" was lousy to begin with.  I'm uncomfortable with a male doctor to begin with so I'll try to find one of the many female chiros in the area to treat with. 

Offline girly

• Adept
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2008, 10:17:00 AM »
AHHHH - it has slipped "out" again!  I'm going crazy!!!

Offline skelliott2

• Adept
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2008, 07:08:32 PM »
My hip did this for years, especially when I was pg or nursing.  Fish oil helps a lot.  Almost as much as celebrex.  Good cal/mag supplement also helps.

Another remedy is:

1 glass water
15-25 drops St. John's Wort tincture
3-5 drops Skullcap tincture

Drink.  This works within a minute.  Amazing.  This is also safe when pg or nursing. 

If none of these work, Aleve is slightly better alternative to prescription anti-inflammatories, and works about as well.

Hope it feels better soon!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2008, 07:07:06 AM »
so, would you say that the back issue and the leg issue are related?  i've never suspected a relation between them because they don't feel at all related.  hmmmm.  i tried to see a chiropractor yesterday who wanted me to wait until next week.  i could barely walk but they wouldn't do anything for me >:( >:( >:(  i was so disappointed. 
Absolutely, they can be related.  I don't know that your back would throw your hip out, but it could.  If things are crooked or misplaced, they cause your body to overcompensate in other ways (ie you sprain your ankle, and your other leg gets sore from using it more or your knee gets sore from walking crooked because your lower back is making your legs(gait) uneven).

You might try looking into these exercises I posted for sciatica.  They really helped me get through my pregnancies and I would also recommend CLO to help your joints to be stronger and pain free.

http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,1994.msg46400.html#msg46400

You might also see if your chiro knows how to put your saccrum back into place.  I found out much later that this may have been the source of my sciatica but my previous docs missed it.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2008, 07:14:51 AM by healthybratt »
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline littlemama24

• Master
    • check out this website!
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2008, 08:06:30 AM »
If it's any help at all it is not actually your "hip" that is out of joint but something called your S.I. joint.  That stands for Sacro-Iliac joint.  It is common but very painful.  Happens to me when preggo too.  You can learn to get it back yourself.  There are exercises and muscle contract/relax things you can do.  Try googling SI Joint pain or subluxation and see what you come up with.  Any good chiro or Physical Therapist should be able to put it back where it belongs and good stretching and strengthening exercises can help keep it there.  It can be hard to assess which way it has slipped.  I worked with a PT in the navy who was a MASTER at this!  Most often, it is slipped up and back, when mine does this I hold onto a doorframe while laying on my back and have dh pull on my leg at a 45 degree angle to pull it back down.  Does that make any sense?  Lying on your back doing pelvic tilts can help put it back but it sill be painful to get like that and might be too hard if it really hurts.  I will try to look up links for ya too!