Author Topic: Candles / Pot Pouri Liquid  (Read 2246 times)

Offline English Lady

• Learning
Candles / Pot Pouri Liquid
« on: April 12, 2008, 03:53:55 PM »
Does anyone have any advice on what to buy, what not to buy, (even how to make your own) safe and healthy scented candles and / or liquid pot pouri.
I have recently learned that most of the wax and scents that are released into the air are not good for our bodies to absorb and I wanted to find a healthier alternative.
Thanks

Offline mhoward1999

• Adept
Re: Candles / Pot Pouri Liquid
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2008, 05:09:46 PM »
I like to save the peelings of citrus fruits and dry them. Then, when I want to make the house smell nice,  will simmer the peelings in water with a handfull of cloves, cinnamon, and/or nutmeg. Apple peelings work, too.

Offline English Lady

• Learning
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2008, 01:46:40 PM »
I like to save the peelings of citrus fruits and dry them. Then, when I want to make the house smell nice,  will simmer the peelings in water with a handfull of cloves, cinnamon, and/or nutmeg. Apple peelings work, too.

I had thought of that, but never tried it. Do you dry them in any way in particular or just leave them somewhere airy?

Offline medontdo

• Learning
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2008, 12:35:40 PM »
i'd wonder if it'd be just normal? maybe a little airy. i had read a thing wher you can put the peelings in salt and it makes a great smell.   one of my smells that i love is with water and just some of the different spices, allspice, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, don't forget the apple rhinds. :'}}  mix it up and have so much fun! the orange is great too!!  lemon!!
If you look at what you DON'T have in life,
you have NOTHING.
If you look at what you DO have in life,
you have EVERYTHING !!
                                         Hugs  Medo

Offline mhoward1999

• Adept
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2008, 05:32:21 AM »
I like to save the peelings of citrus fruits and dry them. Then, when I want to make the house smell nice, I will simmer the peelings in water with a handfull of cloves, cinnamon, and/or nutmeg. Apple peelings work, too.

I had thought of that, but never tried it. Do you dry them in any way in particular or just leave them somewhere airy?
I'm sorry, I just now got the notice of a reply to this post! :( I just put them on a dinner plate out on the counter and flip them over once a day until they are brittle. Then I put them in a sealed container for future use.

Offline English Lady

• Learning
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2008, 02:35:15 PM »
I like to save the peelings of citrus fruits and dry them. Then, when I want to make the house smell nice, I will simmer the peelings in water with a handfull of cloves, cinnamon, and/or nutmeg. Apple peelings work, too.

I'm sorry, I just now got the notice of a reply to this post! :( I just put them on a dinner plate out on the counter and flip them over once a day until they are brittle. Then I put them in a sealed container for future use.

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2008, 06:17:58 PM »
I dry orange peels the same way, and then sprinkle the crumbles on the carpet just before I run the vacuum...it infuses the whole house with a great citrus smell!

In the fall and winter, I put a small pot of cinnamon and rosemary on the back of the stove to simmer.  Sometimes I put in orange peels, and whatever else I happen to have on hand that smells good.

-Gwen
Come see me at www.gwens-nest.com
♥ Check out our family favorite recipes, funny kid stories, natural remedies and other creative and fun stuff.